• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Running gags

keepitsimple

site of lies
So this show has a lot of gags that end up frequently re-appearing, sometimes even running them into the ground lol. What are some of the running gags you enjoyed despite their frequent occurence?

I'm probably alone here but I was always amused by that one in DP with that girl who interviewed trainers for some reality show, and the crew would always drop the microphone on her head. Her reactions got progressively angrier and more threatening every time

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Gible's Draco Meteor's hitting Piplup (probably my dislike for Piplup made it more enjoyable)

Clemont's Science gags, because it was always hillarious to see him pull out a machine from nowhere, no matter what the situation, and to see it fail (and Ash being the unfortunate recipient of those accidents)

Brock's flirting gags. They were great in OS, got a bit stale in AG but were again pretty hillarious in DP due to Croagunk.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Brock's flirting gag is the best gag in this anime specially with croagunk's poison jab, it is my second favourite gag after edward elric height gag.

Charizard using flamethrower on ash was also good as it still showed its rebellious as well as caring side.

Heracross sipping bulbasaur's bulb was also funny.

Gible's draco meteor gag on piplup was also great.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’m glad I’m not the only one who remembered the reporter gag

Misty being scared of Bug Pokèmon
The entire OS-DP main cast constantly being snarky about towards each other
Brock’s Croagunk always being found by itself and looking off into the distance
Draco Meteor hitting Gible
I liked Emolga using Attract only when it pissed off Snivy
Kiawe being passionate about anything
Lana being blunt and her lying
Sophocles throwing shade (was more apparent in early SM)

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Brock being pulled away from women (all three of them)

Misty being rustled by Psyduck

Clemont's inventions (which I found particularly funny in the Moltres episode and when he made a dancing Chespin)

Muk's embrace especially on Prof Oak

Heracross sap sucking antics

Kintaro

Banned
People have said most of the good ones already, so I'm not going to repeat them. I was trying to think of some running gags from AG in particular but I honestly couldn't think of many. Sure the Pokemon had their quirks (Treecko using a twig, Corphish being crazy, Torchic being weak at the start, Lotad spacing out), but they weren't really running gags and more like their personalities. And the other ones that were there were just repeated from the OS like Brock flirting, Team Rocket's stuff, etc. I think AG might have the least running gags of any series, unless I'm forgetting something.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
poison jab, clemontic gear, bewear, and draco meteor are my top ones

DatsRight

Team Rocket's motto was funny when they kept animating loads of completely bizarre variations of it. Especially in cases they broke into it out of reflex.

Oh and of course the Giovanni fantasies.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I've never liked most running gags, with the exception of Gible's Draco Meteor gag (although I only liked it because Piplup was annoying).

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I like seeing Ash getting hit, smacked, etc in SM
Misty's mallet that showed up on occasion as well as her bug type phobia
Ash and Misty's arguments as well as the bike thing (it got old with May and Dawn).
Dawn's no need to worry catchphrase just before something goes wrong or when she says it when it's obvious she's worried

Kintaro

Banned
Misty's mallet that showed up on occasion as well as her bug type phobia

I think Misty's mallet only ever showed up for like 4 eps in early Kanto and never again. The writers did away with that very quickly, I wouldn't say it was a running gag since Team Rocket used to hit each other with paper fans and stuff too in Kanto, but again the writers did away with it fast. I guess they realized showing the main cast beat each other up wasn't good for a kids show or something.

DatsRight

Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry are both kids shows who don’t hesitate to show violence lol.

Unpopular opinion: but I got sick of the Brock gag fast.

I think it's the whole 'boys can't hit girls but girls can brutalise boys for the mildest of annoyances' thing that's a tough subject. It also took away the even handedness in Ash and Misty's rivalry since whenever Ash made a verbal knock back at Misty she could just threaten or pound him into being quiet. If they kept to that Misty would always win, and through cheap stipulations, which is more boring (and risks making Misty the 'bully' of the feud).

At least Tom usually TRIES to pound Jerry as much as vice versa.

Kintaro

Banned
There's also the running gag of Ash getting his badges stolen/lost in every series. I'm pretty sure it happened in almost every saga besides maybe XY?

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
There's also the running gag of Ash getting his badges stolen/lost in every series. I'm pretty sure it happened in almost every saga besides maybe XY?
Not in xyz era as i don't remember that happen to Satoshi......

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Jessie and James's disguises. My favorite is James's Moltres costume lol.
That is ? There is more running gag that you like ?

Nebbygetinthebag

Brock's flirting gag was funny at first but it had gotten really stale and annoying although it was funny in DP mainly because of Croagunk. I also like Clemont's science, Misty's Psyduck, Gible's Draco Meteor and Bewear's gags.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Brock hitting on girls and getting stopped. Never got old. ^_^