1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Running out of "Steam"?

Discussion in 'Past Pokémon Generations Discussion' started by Diamond Darkrai, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Diamond Darkrai

Diamond Darkrai Active Member

Hi, I have a question:

Did anyone notice that the 4th Gen forums are becomming less and less active?

2. Nutter t.KK

Nutter t.KK can Mega Evolve!

Yes, it's slowed down since I remember it. But then I am talking about it back in 2007 when Diamond and Pearl Launched, when the staff here at the time actually had to start limiting access to actually make the forums useable. Yes, we had that many people hitting it pages took a few minutes to load.

I've deleted your post partly as you were replying to spam, secondly we don't allow people to reserve posts, as we consider it spam.

3. Diamond Darkrai

yeah i was responding to some guy so thought i might aswel change it, do you know how active the trade forums / RTM forums are because no one is responding like ever ;/

4. Qwizmaster

Qwizmaster Pokemon Trainer

It's really sad since I just started to really get into the 4th gen just last year and Heart Gold is my favorite game now, period!

Seems like everyone is into the 5th and 6th gen parts of the forums now, those are crowded...

5. Diamond Darkrai

I know, Diamond is my favorite, I absolutely HATE Gen 5 just because the pokemon look so childish ;/

6. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

That's a terrible reason to hate gen 5 because Pokémon in ALL generation look childish, since it's a children's game they were designed to looks childish on purpose.

7. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

I boycotted the fifth generation because I was tired of the fact there was new Pokémon, and that I hated the designs. But now that I've played it, I've warmed up to the games, and I'm mentally kicking myself for the boycott.

Anyway, I have noticed the fourth generation forums are slow (and I finally got Diamond like a few months ago myself), but so are the third, second and first generation forums. I wouldn't say they ran out of steam, it's just that more people are focusing on BW/BW2 and now X/Y, so a lot of the activity moved to those forums. Chances are they'll slow down in the future as well. It's a common occurrence, so I don't see how anyone would be so surprised over this.

8. Diamond Darkrai

no reason is terrible, it's MY reason and MY OPINION, seriously i despise Gen 5 because they look TOO childish.

P.S i'm not surprised i just wanted to know why there's only like 25% of activity there was 3months ago

9. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

It can be your opinion all you want. I believe the point was that it's an opinion that comes off as poorly formed and unsupportable, which most anything along the lines of "this Pokémon looks too [negative adjective]!!!" is.

10. Diamond Darkrai

if i think it's too childish grow up & stop bashing me for having a "poorly formed and supportable" opinion seriously "Too childish" is just fine /facepalm

11. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

There's nothing wrong with thinking the designs are too childish, but you have to back up your reasons for why you think they look childish. Otherwise, it's a moot point, in which case your argument needs more steam behind it. Especially because I personally can't see how they look childish at all, they look more realistic in their designs to me. Meanwhile, the Sinnoh Pokémon look more childish in comparison, as do the previous generations. So I think they were going for a different style in B/W than they did in the previous games, which I feel was a good move on their part.

12. Platinum fan.

Platinum fan. Enlightenment

Gen 4 is less active because it's not the new game anymore. Hasn't been for years. Just like Gen 1, 2, and 3. And by the end of this year gen 5 will be in the same position. There's nothing new about gen 4 and sadly like the other 3 generations before it, it will get less and less people coming in. Maybe when a gen 4 remake comes out many years from now we'll see some gen 4 life again.

13. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

You can say that you think Gen 5 is too childish but then by doing that you are then ignoring three simple fact.

1. Gen 1-4 also had Pokémon that look childish. Why aren't you hating on them?

2. Pokémon is a children game, ergo it's target market is young children thus the Pokémon are purposely design to appeal to children.

3. Opinion aren't immune from criticism and if they are poorly argued, like yours, then they expose the glaring flaws in your argument.

14. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

This. All the action is over at the XY forum (and a bit at the BW2 forum).

15. Diamond Darkrai

well then let me explain them: I think they're poorly made and that only the kids who play pokemon can't see that some pokemon idea's are very over used.

16. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Still without an explanation as to why you feel this is. Restating your position does not constitute support.

Untrue and borderline nonsensical argument. Ideas aren't "overused" any more than are the fauna of the world, which might (gasp) see different species of birds/rodents/fish/canines/whatever found in different areas, of similar biological class but different everything else.

And your original argument was that the designs are "too childish". Now you've switched to "overused!" Which is it?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  17. Diamond Darkrai

they use the same idea over & over again for pokemon.. and yes something can be over used but the terms "over used" are different for everybody.

Also back on topic: Why would everyone stop posting just because new games are out?

18. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

They don't, though.

And in admitting how subjective it is, how can it possibly be a valid objective flaw?

Because as people migrate to the new games, there's no point to continuing to play the old ones? Particularly as that migration often involves moving Pokémon ahead, a one-way journey that leaves one's older games barren of anything worth battling with.

In short, there's little reason to continue playing old software when much (most?) of the community activity and all of the official support (events, etc.) have updated with the times.

19. Cutty

Cutty Forever now

But some Gen 5 pokemon look 'mature' enough like Braviary, Heatmor, Golurk, etc.
    Some people still post in older gens sections like myself. Its like trivias/nostalgia for me.

20. Bananarama

Bananarama Another trophy

Yes, but there are still the active members who post here, like us!