• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rushed captures or rushed evolutions?

Rushed captures or rushed evolutions?

• Total voters
As the title says, what do you prefer? Rushed captures or rushed evolutions?

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Rushed evolutions over rushed captures.

Give a chance for each Pokemon to bond with their Trainer before the new blood hogs the spotlight.

Blazing Charmander

How about an option for 'neither'. There may be some in the fandom who are bothered by both, including myself.

To me, no factor of a successful show should be rushed, unless it is justified. There have been both rushed captures, and evolutions that provide ammunition for this argument. A prime example for me would be Ash's Krabby. Although the focus at the time was that Misty and Brock were teasing Ash about not earning/catching enough Pokemon, thus he went to find a Pokemon (i.e. Krabby), it was obviously a rushed capture. This is because it was Oaked more-or-less straight after its capture. This may have been to showcase the whole '6-in-your-party-at-a-time' thing, but the fact that we didn't see it in a battle til the Pokemon League just shows how poorly planned the capture was for the future.

And this brings me to rushed evolutions, where once again Krabby can be used as an example. All that we had seen of Krabby since its capture were a few cameo appearances alongside Oak, until Ash decided to use it in the Indigo League. In its first battle, it miraculously took down a number of Pokemon, and then evolved to Kingler. This raises the question as to how Krabby had enough experience to achieve this all in one battle. This is perhaps evidence of a relationship between poor planning of the capture, and for its future in the show.

To a lesser extent, I thought that Charmeleon's evolution to Charizard was pretty rushed, but i'll excuse that seeing as the manner in which it evolved was pretty darned awesome lol.

Finally, I'd like to say that perhaps the writers have since learnt from their mistakes of making rushed captures/evos, which is arguably evident since AG. Rant over.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
How would you define a "rushed" evolution?

Charmeleon to Charizard was definitely rushed. It has like two episodes as a Charmeleon before it evolved again.

Brock's Golbat to Crobat was rushed to, but then again we barely saw Golbat out of its ball to begin with.

Dax

Legend
Rushed evolutions. At the end a rushed capture can damage the development of the whole team. If it's the wrong type and has the wrong attacks it's not a capture that will be beneficial.

A rushed evolution most of the time has a purpose. For example Snorunt evolved quickly so Ash could have another powerhouse in his team and I imagine Starly did it for it to evolve completely, same for Charizard.

Thriller

Its almost time
Just watch people think my hatred of the trade has to do with this opinion :rolleyes:

Only after 2 episodes after Ash got Chimchar, the big trade happened. You know, I would have loved to see some Aipom/Chimchar chemistry, maybe possibly some sort of relationship or a possible rivalry. Just imagine if Chimchar and Aipom had a rivalry going, it would have given Ash a better reason to trade.

Also, I agree Charmeleon - Charizard was far too rushed. I think Charmeleon would have been easier to train than Charizard was, I would have liked to have seen more of Charmeleon. I do disagree on Golbat - Crobat however, it was like 25 episodes between evolutions and its a happiness evolution after all. As a matter of fact, on my Diamond, my Golbat evolved just one level after its previous evolution.

Last edited:

Blazing Charmander

Brock's Golbat to Crobat was rushed to, but then again we barely saw Golbat out of its ball to begin with.

Yeah, you could say it's capture was pretty rushed too. Seeing as how it consisted of, well... we dunno because we didn't even see how he caught it in the first place. That, and the fact that it served no purpose at all until way into Johto, when its new evolution could be used for advertising purposes (I can't believe how long it took for Zubat to evolve). Gosh, even then it would do well to get screentime, but I guess you could say the same for any of Brock's pre-Sinnoh Pokemon.

Dax

Legend
Was Brock's Golbat even happy? It pretty much never interacted with Brock. I don't think even happiness can justify that evolution.

KnightofRawr

Don't underestimate
I would rather seen none but if i had to see one of the two it would be rushed evolutions because i dont want to see new pokemon added to the team.

Blazing Charmander

You're probably right, but I just cannot remember anything that made it stand out much.

All I can remember is its 'double' battle against Team Rocket in Mt.Moon alongside Butterfree, and its fleeting appearance in Pokeball Peril, where Brock left. The next I remember is its evolution episode in Johto. But as I said, you're probably right in saying it did more than that.

However, I still think Zubat's capture was pretty rushed in the respect that it lived in the shadow of most of the other Pokemon during its tenure in the cast.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Brock's Zubat never did anything. After its capture we didn't see it again till I think the Duplica episode, and in that ep it just searched for TR along with Pidgeotto.

Brock was gone in Orange, and in Johto Zubat again was never seen out of its Pokeball except for the picnic episodes in which it did nothing.

Golbat has about one or two TR blast off moments I believe and that's it. Crobat has the same.

Thriller

Its almost time
Big battle in Spell of the Unown.
Battle in Clefairy & the Moon Stone.

Come on Bulbapedia, cut back on, I need backup!

Cybercubed said:
Brock's Zubat never did anything. After its capture we didn't see it again till I think the Duplica episode, and in that ep it just searched for TR along with Pidgeotto

I am about 80% sure it was in Beauty & the Beach.

Edit #2: Alright, Zubats first appearance since its capture was Tentacool & Tentacruel. Proof

Last edited:

Isis-sama

The fact that I desperately want both Chimchar and Turtwig evolve may be influencing me, but I'd say rushed evolutions.

Let's face it, Pokemon on the main cast evolve very rarely on the show. In the game, starter pokemon almost always evolve before the second gym, but Ash's evolved starters have never done so before the fourth. Most of the other evolved pokemon similarly have delayed their evolutions past the point where they would likely have done so in the games with the amount of time they've spent on their trainer's team and have been used. There have been exceptions, but for most of them that's it. I realize the writers like to keep the main cast 'cute' but c'mon, enough is enough.

Heracross

Custom User Title
Brock's Zubat never did anything. After its capture we didn't see it again till I think the Duplica episode, and in that ep it just searched for TR along with Pidgeotto.
It was used in "Tentacool and Tentacruel".
Brock was gone in Orange, and in Johto Zubat again was never seen out of its Pokeball except for the picnic episodes in which it did nothing.

Golbat has about one or two TR blast off moments I believe and that's it. Crobat has the same.
Really, as little as it was ever shown, I recall some of the times it was out of its pokéball, Takeshi was shown hand-feeding it or giving it some kind of personal attention, so I can see how a happiness evolution is justified, even if it is weak. And while I hate to be one to speculate about events that take place off-screen, well... there is always that. For every time we've seen Takeshi feeding or grooming his pokémon (which is admittedly very seldom) there are probably several times that we don't see because we don't need to and it has little bearing on the story.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Well Brock's Pokemon pre-D/P were hardly focused on. We hardly saw Vulpix either. I remember in Johto we saw Vulpix lose to the Skarmory trainer (the one Cyndaquil later beats), and then that was it before he gave it back to Suzie.

Geodude and Onix are the only ones that did manage to get quite a bit of screentime, but that's only because they were around for so many episodes.