• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

S.O.S Sprite Thread

noobiess

6 different pokemon
S.O.S
Save One's Sprite

Struggling to get that one sprite look right? Or always there to help out others?
Then this is the place for you!
Here people can post sprites and give/receive advice.​

Need advice?
If you have a problem with making a sprite, this is the perfect place to get some pointers.
But there are a few rules you have to follow:

- Only own pixel art is allowed
- Don't spam! A maximum of 2/3 a week is a good threshold.
- One sprite at a time Don't put multiple sprites here at one time.
- Accept criticism The meaning you post here is to improve your sprite, so expect people will give some thoughtful advice that might come across as harsh, but remember they are just here to help.
- Advice only? There are two options:you can request advice only, or also edits on your posted sprite. Make sure you make clear what you want!
(For example by putting 'advice only' or 'edits allowed')
- Contests Posting sprites for contest is allowed IF two conditions are fulfilled: it should be clear when posting it (so advice-givers know it is for a contest) and the contest-makers should agree that this is allowed (this is the case for the GWSC).

Want to help?

You want to help the spriting community and help artists? This is an ideal way to do so.
Here are also a few rules to follow:

- Advice and/or edit The artist who posted the sprite chooses if (s)he just wants advice or whether you can also edit the sprite to make it look better (and show what you would do by actually doing it). So please respect the choice of the artist and only give edits if wanted.
- Constructing criticism Don't be mean!
- Useful criticism Don't just say "wow that looks amazing/awful!" Artists post here to get advice to improve their sprite.

Rules about credits:
If artists post a sprite here and other people edit (or give advice) so that the sprite is different (improved), the artists is still allowed to post the sprite elsewhere. Here the artist shouldn't give any credit to the editors or so. This is because the editors shouldn't be doing this for credits, but rather to help out the community.
And of course credits may be given, if the artist wants to.

So that are the rules.
I hope this can be a place where the community can grow, not only in spriting-skills
but also as a whole by helping each other out!
Have fun!​

Ryger Vandell

Unknown Trainer
I guess I'll be the first customer then :p

131-Lapras_zps6bf73d81.png

So I've already entered this and it became one of the weekly winners, but I still feel unsatisfied with it, mostly from the way the pipe looks. I'm not sure how to improve on that.

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Yay, our first sprite here :p
I already like the sprite but some parts could use some editing.
For the pipe, I think your shading is too 'horizontal'. Normally this is fine but for tubes the shading always 'follows the tube' (as you can see here). Other then that I think the outlines on the right side (for us) is a bit on the light side.
For the bone, I think it should look different. I should add more outlining and doesn't make it 'branch out' that much. I would prefer just one straight-going bone.

Ps: Please make sure you let people know if they can edit the sprite or not.

Bert

Untitled
I pretty much agree with noobiess. I think it looks flat instead of tubular because the outline doesn't follow the shading. To make things worse, the contrast between the pipe's outline (very light) and the shell outline (almost entirely black) emphasizes the pipe's flatness. In combination with noobiess' advice on the tubular shading laws, I think the right part of the pipe should be outlined with a dark grey and maybe a few pixels black, and the left part highlighted with a light gray outline. It'll get the "metal" feel across much better. The bone was a tougher nut to crack, but yeah, I'd make it more recognizable by mimicking the human bone structure somewhat. I tried to make some edits to clarify these remarks. I can get behind you trying to fix it yourself, so I won't post it without permission, obviously.

Also note that while the above post is a load of criticism, it doesn't mean I don't like the sprite. I like it a bunch, but in this thread I'm focusing on the bad news. :p

Ryger Vandell

Unknown Trainer
Yay, our first sprite here :p
I already like the sprite but some parts could use some editing.
For the pipe, I think your shading is too 'horizontal'. Normally this is fine but for tubes the shading always 'follows the tube' (as you can see here). Other then that I think the outlines on the right side (for us) is a bit on the light side.
For the bone, I think it should look different. I should add more outlining and doesn't make it 'branch out' that much. I would prefer just one straight-going bone.

Ps: Please make sure you let people know if they can edit the sprite or not.

I pretty much agree with noobiess. I think it looks flat instead of tubular because the outline doesn't follow the shading. To make things worse, the contrast between the pipe's outline (very light) and the shell outline (almost entirely black) emphasizes the pipe's flatness. In combination with noobiess' advice on the tubular shading laws, I think the right part of the pipe should be outlined with a dark grey and maybe a few pixels black, and the left part highlighted with a light gray outline. It'll get the "metal" feel across much better. The bone was a tougher nut to crack, but yeah, I'd make it more recognizable by mimicking the human bone structure somewhat. I tried to make some edits to clarify these remarks. I can get behind you trying to fix it yourself, so I won't post it without permission, obviously.

Also note that while the above post is a load of criticism, it doesn't mean I don't like the sprite. I like it a bunch, but in this thread I'm focusing on the bad news. :p

Thanks to you both for the critique!

@noobiess: Oh, I forgot to state that. edits are allowed on my sprite! Just so that I can see an example XD

Bert

Untitled
Here you go then, I tried this a couple of hours ago:
SOS_RV_zps7jbiyzll.png

The bone looks only slightly better imo, so maybe someone else can help with that further, but I think the pipe looks much more 'metal' now.

Bert

Untitled
While I was trying to come up with an idea for this weeks GWSC I ended up with this little guy here. I had a kind of a creative block and decided to do a different fusion instead for the GWSC, but I still like this one enough to try and make something out of it, but I don't know how.
WSC92reject_zpscixas6sl.png

I'm specifically looking for advice on whether to add a shark tail or not. It's ironic, because I think it would make the fusion more Sharpedo-ish, even though Sharpedo doesn't have a tail. I'm also struggling with the yellow scar pattern, I can't seem to get it right. :/

Edits are allowed, I'd love to see someone else's take on this.

PanpourHoopa

While I was trying to come up with an idea for this weeks GWSC I ended up with this little guy here. I had a kind of a creative block and decided to do a different fusion instead for the GWSC, but I still like this one enough to try and make something out of it, but I don't know how.
WSC92reject_zpscixas6sl.png

I'm specifically looking for advice on whether to add a shark tail or not. It's ironic, because I think it would make the fusion more Sharpedo-ish, even though Sharpedo doesn't have a tail. I'm also struggling with the yellow scar pattern, I can't seem to get it right. :/

Edits are allowed, I'd love to see someone else's take on this.

I think you should put two of sharpedos fins on the back right above its...butt.
I didnt know how else to say that

Ex Extreme

Just some Random Guy
I think you should put two of sharpedos fins on the back right above its...butt.
I didnt know how else to say that

uuh, I don't think it would look better.
Just keep Kabutops' tail. It has one, right? An generic tail wouldn't be bad too

Last edited:

Ryger Vandell

Unknown Trainer
Just keep Kabutops' tail. It has one, right? An generic tail wouldn't be bad too

if we're talking about tails, why not add a shark tail? or a fish tail at least?

[might add edited image here]

PanpourHoopa

Ok, but that's your opinion.

Also

I was just talking about tails, and then you say its not a good idea, then you mention it should have a tail. Alright then.

Anyway Bert, who I was talking too, it looks a bit naked below its mid section.

Ex Extreme

Just some Random Guy
Ok, but that's your opinion.

Also

I was just talking about tails, and then you say its not a good idea, then you mention it should have a tail. Alright then.

Anyway Bert, who I was talking too, it looks a bit naked below its mid section.

...?
When I said it was a bad idea I was talkin' about YOUR idea, lol, the fins on its butt.

if we're talking about tails, why not add a shark tail? or a fish tail at least?

[might add edited image here]
Like a Garchomp's tail?

Last edited:

Shiny Swalot

Shiny Swalot Powerz!
So yeah, since Bert said people could make edits, I tried to paste back Kabutobs tail, make it a bit bigger and tried to make it have rough edges like the top fin of Sharpedo. That was the idea at least, not to sure if I did it well enough...

Sharptops%20with%20Sharktail_zpsdzlmv3bp.png

Sorry for the white though

justinvclay

Pokémon Coordinator
Where would I be able to find decent map and region sprites? I want to create a fan made Pokemon Region based off of where I live?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Where would I be able to find decent map and region sprites? I want to create a fan made Pokemon Region based off of where I live?

This is the source I used when I made the map for for my region. It's in the Sinnoh style.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

joku1528

So is someone here willing to help me make fakemon and trainer sprites for a fan game I'm making in my discord server https://discord.gg/yRBdBg4 you should consider since I have the drawings already drawn that I want sprited and we are doing this for a poketuber that goes by the name John4g