• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sacred Fire, Signature Move no more

According to Bulbapedia and Serebii, as of Gen VI, Sacred Fire isn't anymore Ho-oh's Signature Move, because now Entei is able to learn it too. What do you think about it;201-?; Share your opinion, I will share mine there as well.

I personally like it and hate it, I hate it because if Nintendo and Game Freak were doing it, they should have done something similar with Lugia's Aeroblast to keep the "Counterpartship". It isn't as "Sacred" now that someone else gets it.

But I like it because it's good for Entei as it isn't hurting itself anymore with Flare Blitz, given that the power difference is minimal.

Sulfurian

Ho-Oh created Entei. They are both fire Pokemon. Entei is literally a guardian of Volcanoes and all things fire. While Ho-Oh is a sacred, legendary phoenix that gave it life once more. While Lugia has no connection at all with the legendary dogs. Besides, Suicune wouldn't need Aeroblast anyway.

rocky505

They should've given Zapdos Aeroblast since it was screwed out of Hurricane already.

Murder Doll

Button Presser
Story wise as rocky said it does make sense.

My ownly beef involving sacred fire is that it's classified as a physical move despite being very similar in animation to special attacks

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
I don't like it when signature moves/abilities stop being exclusive at all. Even considering Ho-Oh is the trio master, it just underscores it even more why Entei shouldn't have gotten it (a member shares the signature move with the master?). Entei isn't even sacred, it was simply revived.

The only change they should have made to Sacred Fire is to make it a Special instead of Physical attack.

Sulfurian

I don't like it when signature moves/abilities stop being exclusive at all. Even considering Ho-Oh is the trio master, it just underscores it even more why Entei shouldn't have gotten it (a member shares the signature move with the master?). Entei isn't even sacred, it was simply revived.

The only change they should have made to Sacred Fire is to make it a Special instead of Physical attack.

Again, both Ho-Oh and Entei are fire types that share some history. If Ho-Oh revived them with sacred power, why would it not teach one of the members who share a common element the same move? Also, you could say the same about earthquake. Why isn't it special? Why are Rock Slide and Stone edge not special too? I mean, they are rocks that got launched at the enemy after all.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
1: Because Entei isn't on the same level as Ho-Oh, that's why. It should have been given some other fire move, just not Ho-Oh's signature move.

2: Earthquakes are natural occurrences in nature that's why they are physical. Same with rock slide (i.e. they need no real mystical property), but I'll give you stone edge.
You should have just stayed with the Fire type moves argument to be frank, but even the description of Sacred Fire says it is a "MYSTICAL FIRE", which implies magical properties.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Hmm. I guess here I can agree that it makes some sense as those two Pokémon do share some relation/history (call it an after-effect of its revival) - of course, assuming that there is only one Entei (debatable). But in general I prefer it when species-exclusive moves remain that way - otherwise it just takes away something that further made it unique.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
2: Earthquakes are natural occurrences in nature that's why they are physical. Same with rock slide (i.e. they need no real mystical property), but I'll give you stone edge.
You should have just stayed with the Fire type moves argument to be frank, but even the description of Sacred Fire says it is a "MYSTICAL FIRE", which implies magical properties.

Lame as it sounds, I'm pretty sure the only reason Sacred Fire is physical is because Ho-oh would have been screwed over with its signature move being special despite its much superior attack stat. Yeah, Fire was special back before Gen 4, but the way I see it, they saw the physical-special split as a way to fix that with Ho-oh, since it was then the only user of the move anyway. So despite the fact that everything about it screams special, it's physical, and likely that way to stay.

PikaSnap

Joan Ranger
I LOVED Sacred Fire's graphics in GSC ! ;)

Kinda random i know, but the whole screen flashed in shades of gold and the flames made the coolest noise ahah

Ruas

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing to see it on Entei, but I'm over it now. Signature moves have been undone on many occasions over the years. It kind of makes sense - after all this years, the Pokemon are starting to adapt/learn newer moves into their learn-sets.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
I wonder who's going to get Aeroblast? I can't see only Ho-Oh losing it's signature move exclusivity.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I really don't see it as a big deal at all. Just another move to make Entei better, right? At least they connected the move between the two- both fire, legends, one created the other even though the des states one is born every time a volcano erupts, they're both physical attackers, are in the same gen, etc. it really isn't a big deal and people who complain about- its just a move.

Mew The Gato

And since Entei was easily the weakest of the Legendary Beasts...

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Only Chatter is an exclusive Move, as it's the only Move that can't be Sketched that's Exclusive.

Anyway, I don't see it as much a big deal, as Ho-Oh already has far too much specialty, and other, lesser, Legendary *coughPhionecough* Pokémon could use the boost of a new Move, as why Entei got Sacred Fire.

Also I think it's Physical because it's essntially a stronger Flame Wheel, it even has the same secondary effect of thawing the opponent.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
Horrable. HO-OH AND SACRID FIRE ARE LIKE ASH AND PIKACHU!!! D: nice going nintendo lol

oh well i guess.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I'm fine with Entei getting Sacred Fire, at least it now has a usable physical Fire attack that isn't Flare Blitz. He probably might get better on the competitive scene as a result.

I also remember how the legendary musketeers of 5th Gen had a signature move in Sacred Sword, but now Honedge line gets it too. But at least it's justifiable since the Honedge line are based on swords, I'm okay with it.

Plus, we also have abilities that were once signature to one evolution line, like how Unburden used to only be on the Drifloon line but now there's a variety of Pokemon with said ability.

The King of Ho-oh's

<---- Newest Shiny
*Looks at his own forum name* :p

Personally I have no problem with it. I was actually excited when I heard. It's one of the coolest attack animations,
my shiny Entei now has a usable stab move, and he will see some actual action in the Battle Maison now.

I think it's just a rumor, but around the same time I heard Suicune might have got Aero-blast on smogon. Again
don't take my word on that.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
They should've given Zapdos Aeroblast since it was screwed out of Hurricane already.

I totally agree. If Entei can have sacred fire, zapdos should have aeroblast.