• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Saddest Anime Moments! *Spoilers*

GlamMeow23

Okay, guys. We all know animes can make you sad or depressed. A LOT. Name your list of anime moments you thought were sad. One last thing, Don't call people out for their lists. Other people have different opinions and it just makes you look stupid.
Here's my list in no particular order.
1. Momeji's backstory (Fruits Basket)
2. Fuko no longer being remembered (Clannad)
3.Crona almost being killed by his own mother (Soul Eater)
4. Tamaki stating that he's disbanding the host club (Ouran)
5. Lord Death almost being killed by Asura/Death the Kid's reaction to it. (Soul Eater)
6. Kotomi's backstory (Clannad)
7. Crona confessing to Maka that he betrayed her. (Soul Eater)

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Ash turning to stone.

From what I've seen to date:

Nagisa and Ushio's deaths.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
Clannad ~After Story~
First was Nagisa's death, it broke my heart and made me cry, my first time through though I though that would be the end of the sad moments, but then it made me cry even more when Ushio died.

Angel Beats
The last conversation between Otonashi and Kanade, with Kanade telling Otonashi it was his death that saved her life, that's another scene that left me in tears.

Air
Misuzu's death, it hit me about as hard as Nagisa's death in Clannad

Is it a coincidence that those three are all written by Maeda Jun? I think not.

Although Little Busters! (more Maeda Jun Brilliance) hasn't aired yet, of the VN is anything to go by it shall leave me in tears by the time it's over as well.

Grave of the Fireflies, all of it.

Steins;Gate
The first time Mayuri died, and then the revelation that Kurisu had to die for Mayuri to live, watching through the first time I had no idea there would be a way for both of them to survive.

The iDOLM@STER, more specifically episode 20 made me cry, though they wasn't sad tears.

I'm sure there's more that will come to mind later.

Edit:
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai AKA another reason why I love A-1 Pictures
The last episode after Menma gives them all goodbye notes, and finally appears for all of them to see)

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
First, Kyouko sacrificing herself so that Sayaka didn't have to die alone, and then the last few scenes when Homura is talking to Madoka's mother, and the mother recognises the names but can't place why it's so familiar, gets me everytime.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Most recent one: Clannad

Basically, the last moments of Fuuko's arc, it had me crying and it was very sad. :/

5 Centimetres Per Second. As much as I love it, I can't watch it without becoming a gibbering wreck by the end. This may actually be why I love it. Who can tell?

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I don't feel like posting anything specific right now so I'll just say anything from Ef: Tales of two, Clannad, Kanon, H20: Footprints in the sand, certain moments from DBZ, and the like.

Mainly because this thread is going to turn into the Clannad thread real soon and anything I wanted to post will probably be posted in the next 2 pages.

7 tyranitars

One piece - when they gave the Going Merry a viking funeral.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Clannad, that scene on the train with Tomoya and Ushio. Gets me every time.

Ending of Code Geass.

Fullmetal Alchemist. Mayes Hughes. Nina Tucker.

Fate/Zero episode 19 and 21.

Ending of Kaiji.

Gurren Lagann episode 8.

And this one might just be me but K-On!! the scene after the concert. That really got to me.

coolminun

Banned
Clannad, that scene on the train with Tomoya and Ushio. Gets me every time.

Fullmetal Alchemist. Mayes Hughes. Nina Tucker.

Why'd you have to remind me about Nina and mayes. Especially Nina. OMG I almost cried for that. Her father is a monster!!

And of course when Euphie got accidentally Geased and started to kill all the Japanese. I was like Noooooooo!!

Also Naruto's folks back story told by Kushina. That one made me tear up a little

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Dealing with fanbases like Naruto's.

Ash turning to stone.

From what I've seen to date:

Nagisa and Ushio's deaths.

Damn I clicked it because I thought it was a part I already watched >-<
It didn't say After Story so I assumed it was the first season.

Lelouch's death
When Mayuri died and Okabe tried to save her using D-Mails
The end when they noticed each other but the train went by
When Fuko ceased to exist
Inori's death to save Shu
How Homura had to keep going back in time to prevent Madoka from becoming a Puella Magi

And can the OP please use Spoiler tags? It would be helpful.

Last edited:

Arahabaki

Come at me bro.
i recollected these from memory, so they may be a bit unaccurate

5. School Rumble
"but harima, karasuma's the one i love"
tenma, how could you?! after harima drew that manga for you

4. guilty crown
most of it. the real sad thing was how it trainwrecked. but seriously, i was pretty sad when hare died, that part seemed a little unnecessary. then it led to that part with the void ranking system arc/ dictator shu, which really was unnecessary. man, why inori have to die too? plus it was bs that shu ended up all blind. the people who made it were all like "lets have a really sad ending so it'll feel really drama-y. you'd think in the future, they'd have a cure for blindness.

3. hell girl

Every episode of this series left me cold and empty inside. it was worse than those aspca commercials.

2. Steins; gate
that part where feyris (that pink haired girl) was all like "yeah, i'll let my dad die so you can fix everything. its not like i like him or anything" and i was all like, "y u do this feyris?" the worst part was when she texted her dad with "the kidnapping's a joke, see you soon." then said aloud "goodbye daddy." i almost cried.

unlimited feel works.

1. Fate/Zero
Aoi: you never loved anyone!
me: you DB, kariya loved you.
(kariya strangles aoi)
me: (like, 9 second long pause) but why?

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Was Hughes in the original FMA? It's been awhile since I watched that, and I'm pretty hazy on it beyond the stuff that's been rehashed in the first 5 episodes of FMA: B, so I will agree with you about Nina, at the very least.

He was, but the major event involving him didn't happen until much later in the story compared to Brotherhood.

Haunter ゴースト

I don't watch loads of animes, but i'll still list the saddest moments i've seen from them:

Pokemon - Ash turning to stone/Butterfrees departure/Pikachus close departure/Snow Way Out/Celebi's death/Lucarios death.
Digimon - Wargreymon and Metalgarurumons near death experience, before turning into Omnimon.
Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) + Movie - Ed and Als overall story/Hughes death/Eds death, Al sacrificing himself to bring him back.

There's loads for FMA, but I haven't watched it in about 2/3 years so my memory is very fazed.