• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Saddest Book You've Ever Read?

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
The title explains it all. If you wish to elaborate on why it's the saddest, please put it in a spoiler.

For me, it's The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan.

The fact we've seen Annabeth and Percy grow up, grow close and eventually start a relationship, just to be cruelly separated for so long is sad enough,but the fact they end up hanging over hell itself after Annabeth's solo quest to prove herself is seriously heart breaking. But the fact that unlike other authors, who'd let the two be spared, Rick Riordan lets them fall, after a tear jerking sentence or two from Percy, who loves his girlfriend so much he'd fall into a pit of doom where monsters and other enemies of the gods are sent, where Nico nearly went insane, where nearly nobody survives... Where the sun doesn't shine... It's depressing, yet beautiful.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I don't remember reading a lot of books that made me cry, honestly. I'm pretty stoic when it comes to reading if only because if I like something, I don't like getting interrupted--blurry vision included. The only one I can think of right now is "Charly" by Jack Weyland. Members here most likely don't know who he is, but he's a Mormon author who's pretty well-known in the Mormon community. "Charly" is his most famous book which was also turned into a movie (which was okay, book was so much better if only because it felt timeless despite hinting it takes place in the '80s).

So to summarize:

Basically, the book is through the narrative of Sam, whom is LDS, and he meets a woman who moved from New York to Utah named Charlene, or Charly for short. She's a bit of a rebel and a tease, but Sam became a friend of hers, and soon fell in love with her. After a while (I can't remember what happens exactly, but a lot of stuff happens and her ex-boyfriend got involved at some point), Charly becomes a convert despite her parents not being fully supportive of it (her father kinda half-threatened Sam to take care of her or else) and after a year of her conversion, she and Sam got married. The book then goes into detail on their married life, like their first apartment (which is so small, the shower's in the kitchen), where they go, whom they meet, how they're so in love (yes, smexy time is alluded to, but not shown), and so on. They soon have a baby boy after about a year, but then not long afterwards Charly ends up with terminal cancer. And slowly but surely, even as other things go on in their life, Charly dies at the end of the book some time after Sam takes her on one last date to the Ferris wheel she loved.

Then again, it was a foregone conclusion anyway, the first chapter starts with Sam planning the funeral. It's sad because of how we much we got to know and love Charly for such a short book. The novel's more like a novella, and yet Charly is very fleshed out.

The book has a sequel, but it's okay. Not as emotionally-packed as "Charly" is, which still remained one of my favorite books.

So yeah. I'm sure there's one other book that has probably made me weep (nope, didn't cry reading Where the Red Fern Grows), but I can't think of it.

Profesco

gone gently
Well, I always feel miserable after reading the sixth Harry Potter book. I don't think it's the saddest one I've ever read, though. That title could go to Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven. It's very sad, but also a little revitalizing. I might have said The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, but that one is ended in a deliberately unemotional style, and works in wider topics along the way than the main individual's life, so that I found I wasn't as emotionally invested.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some very good candidates.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
i thought the end of Nineteen Eighty-Four was really sad :( apparently the next book in my queue (On the Beach by Nevil Shute) is a tear jerker too so i'm looking forward to reading that on the train from LA to Seattle

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
Laugh if you will, but mine are Harry Potter 6 and 7, Mockingjay, and the Series of Unfortunate Events books. Pretty sad to me, lol. On a more serious note, The Child Called It was extremely depressing, and made my hatred for abusive parents grow to new extremes.

skittlepup

Braixen is MINE ;)
I don't really read sad books, but The Fault in Our Stars was pretty sad.

Profesco

gone gently
Well the ending of mice and men. It really was a good book but once you realize what's going to happen in the end it becomes really sad.

You reminded me of one: Flowers for Algernon. That's a misery-maker, too.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
On a more serious note, The Child Called It was extremely depressing, and made my hatred for abusive parents grow to new extremes.

That was a very hard book to read. Dear God... I never wanted to read it again after I finished it, I gave the book right back to the library or friend or whoever/wherever once I finished the last page.

And the Series of Unfortunate Events books were fun to read, but the story got worse (in terms of events, not story-telling). So I was happy to reach the end, but then it got depressing again. The Baudelaires never got a break...

Oh yeah, about the sixth Harry Potter book, the shock wasn't too bad for me, if only because Mom sorta-kinda spoiled it by saying, "The person who died was who I thought it was." So I kinda wasn't looking forward to it, but even then, I stared at the page once I reached it. (Meanwhile, the movie kinda killed it... I felt nothing in the movie theater.) Same with the last book. I was actually a bit relieved it was finished, honestly. I haven't reread Harry Potter since.

xYachu

Spicy Tuna!
Well, they aren't English though, I read mostly Dutch books for my book report and they don't contain much feelings,... The words aren't really speaking to me e.e I don't like the Dutch language.

But! I've cried over fanfictions, I usually never try out drama, but dayumm that story was so great that it totally got me hooked up.

It was Like, Lust, Love and all above by tooblondforu if you ever wanna try out that fanfiction :')

Also Bloodshed by Chee5e55ave5 I am not into real books until my teachers force me to read some >.< ~

Ninfia-Fan

Survive by Alex Morel. It begins with:

A young girl with mental issues plans to kill herself in the bathroom of a plane. When she's about to, the plane crashes. Everyone except her and one other guy dies and the two find themselves stuck on a snowy mountain with little food and water. The two go through many hardships and love blossoms between them for a short while. However when the guy breaks his leg, he can't walk anymore. Eventually he dies and the girl is rescued. It's a lot sadder than I've described it.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Twilight Saga: New Moon

Its sadder than the movie. I cried for like an hour when Edward left Bella. But HELL my friend beat me. She said she cried for 2-3 hours >_> nya~

Poetry

Dancing Mad
I always feel sad after reading The Order of the Phoenix. It's certainly a climax in terms of raw emotion and devastation in the series, and it's still my favorite HP book.

Other than that... The Kite Runner was a generally depressing and saddening read, as was Tom's Midnight Garden (although I was pretty young when I first read it, and any consequent sadness I feel when reading it in the present now can probably be owed to nostalgia rather than actual plot-induced sadness).

disposable_heroes

<- Best PKMN Ever
i thought the end of Nineteen Eighty-Four was really sad :(

THIS. SO MUCH.

All that work trying to change the system for better, trying to break the eternal deadlock placed on the sheeple "proles" and those in the Party...

All the efforts to bring the system down for the sake of personal freedom...

All laid to waste because of that SOB double-agent O'Brien and the system he works for (and Charrington too). Seriously. I'm still wondering if the Brotherhood was even a thing, or if it was another Party fabrication to give false hopes to revolutionaries.

Moral of the story: the big guys always win.

I almost shed some tears writing that.

EDIT: Note that I get angry at backstabbers easily.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
It was the last book in the "last light" series for me.

essentially the series is about a family trying to live through the hardships of no more electricity. Everything from planes to cars to the little things like gameboys; all of it was rendered useless

Anyway, at the beginning of the last book, when the world is starting to get back up on its feet, the family's youngest daughter 9-12(can't remember) witnesses a murder while on an outing with her family. Long story short, the guy hunts her down, slams her head like a baseball bat into a tree and she spends the rest of the book in a makeshift hospital. The book will come back and show you her progress, but she eventually dies b/c with limited medicines and tech just barely working, she dies.

I was livid, considering that this has never happened in a book for me before. They make u think she is going to live, but they throw that in at the last minute. To which the mother begins to lose it and the last chapter focuses on a play she had produced in her neighborhood with the younger children. I wants to rage quit the book so much after the girl died.