• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Saddest companion farewell

Saddest Companion Farewell

• OS

• AG

• DP

• BW

• XY

• SM

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
This hasn't been done in a while so let's go. What do you think was the saddest and best companion goodbye and separation in the series? And why?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
They all made me feel somewhat sad but, for me, it’s a 3 way tie between OS, DP, & SM.

OS’s really like an end of an era even after watching it nearly a decade after it ended. When they’re at the fork in the road, you can feel all of their adventures over the past 2 regions (+ OI for Ash & Misty) reach the final destination. Misty especially since although she’s not my favorite, I felt how sad she was once Ash paid her back for the reason they met.

DP was my first farewell as a kid and I was so sad watching Togekiss try to cheer up Piplup lol. The highlights are the final combo with Pikachu and Piplup, Ash & Dawn’s last high five, and Brock giving Ash a handshake to signify his last time being a part of the main cast. Even before the controversial changes with every series since, this really felt like the buildup of Ash’s journey so far was reaching the end of an era.

SM hits me hard for Ash himself the hardest because you can really feel all of his gratitude for Alola as he’s about to leave. He’s lost in thought after his league win but he stills yearns to travel. Seeing Nebby again was also nice. Burnet and Kukui crying while holding him before he left for the airport actually got a few tears out of me. Best part was seeing his classmates, his Alola Pokémon, and the UG Ride Pokémon see him off one more time.

RafaSceptile

My opinion of the farewells:

OS: This is a classic, they were the only group to be together during 4 years (Brock) or 5 years (Ash and Misty).
AG: I wasn't that interested in the Ash-May-Max-Brock group so Idk how to feel exactly, but it wasn'r really bad.
DP: It was not only sad, but also the end of an era in the Pokémon Anime, for the good and for the bad.
BW: Rushed farewell
XY: I think it was a good farewell but...not sad at all. I still think this could be better.
SM: With how big the main cast was, it is the one that shows more variety (Lillie, Kukui+Burnet and Kiawe+Lana+Mallow+Sophocles+Ash's Pokémon). It also uses the credit scenes better.

So my rank overall is: DP > OS > SM > XY > AG > (huge gap) > BW.
And that BW makes me sad for the wrong reasons, because Ash+Iris+Cilan was enough good to deserve a better farewell.

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
I think OS was the best, and yes, part of it is because it was the first. I was crazy sad the first time Ash parted with Brock and Misty, and when the theme for the final episode of Master Quest (the episode was titled in the dub "Hoenn Alone") played I was missing Brock and Misty. And even though they both came back (and in Brock's case, overstayed) it doesn't really negate how I felt when they first split.

DP and SM farewells are about even for me, below OS but above AG and XY. BW really got the short end of the stick.

So my list would be OS > DP = SM > AG = XY > BW.

XY. It was so sad to see a close knit group break apart. Because Serena was leaving Ash and The KissTM made me cry tears of joy plus the ending scene of Ash returning to his home was perfection and also makes me cry. Best and most bittersweet episode ever.

Honorable mention to DP because Ash and Brock’s final exchange made me super sad.

Pokemonfan5

There is no clear answer because it depend on how much you attach to the characters and series, otherwise you won't feel a thing for saddest moment in fiction if you don't care about them.

In my opinion If it was about one companion than Brock at the end of DP, he was with Ash for longest time and witness all of his growth till DP (except Orange island), it really hit when Brock said Pokemon master Ash and Ash say Pokemon doctor Brock.

If it was about the ending than SM, Ash first time not just say goodbye to his friends but also his family, his pokemons and his home too, after OS this was first time Ash cried, the family hug scene hit really hard, even TR first time got to say goodbye to their Pokemons at the end, not to mention Ash leave the region as a champion to take on world challenge rather than someone who lose another league, also how Ash was struggling to reveal about his departure to everyone and his speech to the group was very emotional, Lillie departure scene, how Mallow saying goodbye to all of her friends with smile perfectly show her character who always try her best to make other happy while hiding her own sadness.

Again it's all personal preference as to what series you attached the most but in my opinion SM handle it the best, all other goodbye had at least one major flaw while SM goodbye had minor.

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
DP, because Piplup was fleeing the cast in the forest and they had to retrieve it while Dawn had to comfort it because she understood how it felt to part ways after their journeys.

Dedenne from XY was kinda like that too, but at least the episode happened inside an airport so it couldn't go very far. Didn't feel about the Serena's kiss because I've seen enough of Ash in that series so I was looking forward for her special episode on her own in Hoenn, which didn't happen.

BW was hilarious. The train was kinda used like a tool to finally get rid of the companions of that series because they weren't well received.

SM was alright. 4 of the classmates stayed in Alola because after all, this is where they lived, while Ash went back to Kanto and Lillie went to find her father in a cruise ship with her family. I think the classmate cameos in Journeys kinda diminished their farewell impacts because 4 of them are still at school in the same class.

Last edited:

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Nothing will beat OS. It was the first, and as kid who grew up watching the series it really felt like an end. Every time after just felt like a formality.

Though special mention to brock leaving in the DP, but that is really because it’s pretty much an extension of the OS one. SM did a pretty good job as well, but i guess making people sad is the series’s forte. It’s kinda funny how the episode the JP yt channel are uploading for it are pretty much all the sad ones.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Nothing will beat OS. It was the first, and as kid who grew up watching the series it really felt like an end. Every time after just felt like a formality.

Though special mention to brock leaving in the DP, but that is really because it’s pretty much an extension of the OS one. SM did a pretty good job as well, but i guess making people sad is the series’s forte. It’s kinda funny how the episode the JP yt channel are uploading for it are pretty much all the sad ones.
Oooh tell me about it. The JP YT channel are uploading some of the best episodes but man are they all tearjerkers