• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sailor Moon (Revival)

Janovy

Banned
That was a nice first episode.

The animation was good and the faces weren’t that bad, there were only a few shots that were kinda weird. Everything was classic, but if there’s one thing I loved, it is that in comparison to Madoka Magica, the magical girl didn’t know how to attack at first. Like, Usagi transformed and located the monster, but when she approached it, she didn’t know what to do.

In Madoka Magica you have Sayaka wielding her weapon perfectly right from the get-go whereas Usagi was completely lost and didn’t know how to handle it, which is completely realistic. I also like that Usagi is still a crybaby who does bad at school like she was in the original anime. Makes for a far more interesting heroine, who is far from flawless.

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
I loved the first episode. Can't wait to see Ami-chan.

The only thing I'll miss from the original anime is Takanori Arisawa's BGM style. His work was amazing in SM & Digimon, too bad he passed away. Crystal's OST isn't bad by any means, though.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
It was a pretty decent start. The music was good, I really liked the piece that played when Sailor Moon was introducing herself and reciting her iconic pre-battle speech. I thought the music was a highlight and everything about it seemed balanced and fit the situation well. I also really liked the "Tsukini Kawatte Oshioki Yo" scene and scenery, it looked cool.

The animation, unfortunately, is still problematic for me. It looks incredibly plastic and a number of off-model shots. The eyes look too synthetic for my taste and they don't really convey emotion in the same way the manga does, if that's what they're aiming for in this reboot I think they could have done better. Tsukino's manga really did the job better and felt more klutzy and silly without being too over-the-top, hence why some scenes felt better in expression. Everyone looks so inexpressive and the way the faces and eyes appear seems to be a shot at really portraying the "beauty" aspect of the show but they come off as having the expression of a children's Barbie Doll. Like they look so "dazed."

The anime did its own thing and well...it's not bad, their efforts are admirable but the animation and art was just not my cup of tea 100%.
Manga vs. the Anime.

Anyway, another critique I have about this episode was the pacing. It moved too fast, they had everything set-up nicely with introducing the first member of the Dark Kingdom, Luna, Naru, Umino and the others and showing off Usagi's trademarked personalities traits well. But they just sped through the last part, the fight went over my head too quickly, the Youma posed not that much of a threat, I felt like not enough intensity was built up before the finish and even Luna's introduction formally and helping Sailor Moon use her first attack was too quick. Just moved insanely fast toward the end and that makes me think this would have benefited from having another six or seven minutes to really flesh out the first battle. The original's battle definitely seemed to have more intensity about it.

Mamoru's introduction was okay, it was amusing seeing him taunt Usagi and his first in-fight intro was as useless as ever. I almost forgot he supposedly never used roses in the manga so yeah. Hopefully that means they'll retain some of his powers in the anime that he has, he is supposedly the sailor soldier of Earth itself. Ami's intro next time, hopefully that episode is paced better than the one today. I really grew to like the coloring of Usagi's hair and I liked her pendant she used to transform and I liked how they retained her angelic feather-looking hairpieces.

I didn't like the transformation, a CGI-fest and "what is anatomy" moment for the anime record book. The CGI was ugly. They seemed to have Usagi's characterization down well and I found her amusing, they really do seem to be sticking closer to the manga with this adaptation. I do feel like they gave up some of Usagi's more clumsy-comedic expressions and behavior for the sake of her role as a bishoujo. I think they could have struck a strong balance of other without sacrificing either. Especially since Usagi isn't really that heavy a "bishoujo" and I would say is more one in name than in her actions and appearances.

I don't have a strong opinion of the ending but "Moon Pride" was a great opening. Visuals were nice, lyrics were nice and carried a strong aura about it. The eyecatches and title card were stunning too.

Last edited:

matt0044

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...r-moon-dub-cast-revealed-at-anime-expo/.76285

Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon: Stephanie Sheh
Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury: Kate Higgins
Rei Hino/Sailor Mars: Cristina Vee
Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter: Amanda Celine Miller (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=104912)
Minako Aino/Sailor Venus: Cherami Leigh
Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask: Robbie Daymond (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=127931)
Luna: Michelle Ruff
Artemis: Johnny Yong Bosch
Queen Beryl: Cindy Robinson
Jadeite: Todd Haberkorn
Nephrite: Liam O'Brien
Zoicite: Lucien Dodge
Kunzite: Patrick Seitz

Ben Diskin dropped a big hint for his role a couple days before the con.

Season 1 part 1 will be released November 11.

XSilverStarboyX

So far I like it. I'll admit that I prefered the old art style better but that is just personal preference. I still really like the new style, it is very pretty to look at. I also prefer the old transformation but that is because I felt it showcased it more. Plus it wasn't CGI. But otherwise, I really enjoyed the first episode and I am looking forward to seeing my favorite Sailor Scout revealed in the next episode;152;

voicerocker

Platinum Master
I enjoyed the first episode. It was pretty much what I expected it would be, and it was enjoyable!

The CG transformation caught me off guard. Was expecting traditional 2D animation, but it was pretty cool. Normally, CG in anime sticks out like a sore thumb, but that wasn't really the case here. It looked like a mesh between 2D and 3D.

The pacing was a bit fast though. However, I blame that on the fact that this is an old story. I think FMA Brotherhood had the same issue where they hurried through the early part of the show to get to where Brotherhood goes in a different direction than the original FMA anime did. It wasn't bad though. And I think introducing all of the Senshi early gives them more time to put focus on the main story afterwards.

Can't wait to see more!

=====

The new dub cast for the OG Sailor Moon looks solid! I think they'll do a good job with it!

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
Not really feeling the new design of the character. I guess I'm so use to the old animation but I'll get use to it eventually.

matt0044

I heard Stephanie Sheh's Usagi and... I'm crying.

It was so beautiful... so beautiful...

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
As someone who has never seen anything of Sailor Moon, I'll say this. It definitely felt like it came from a different time. And it had 2 of the things I really hate when watching something, self narration and the clumsy girl stereotype. If I had to rank it, I would say 5/10 based on that, and Usagi's grating voice. I'll give it more episodes than usual, since it is a classic

I hope it gets better, otherwise I'll be sad

Janovy

Banned
I hope it gets better, otherwise I'll be sad
I can tell you not to expect anything similar to Madoka Magica. Sailor Moon is OLD therefore being one of the classic animes where the writers didn't try to reinvent the plot or deconstruct the tropes. This is classical magical girl genre that involves romance and friendship.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
I can tell you not to expect anything similar to Madoka Magica. Sailor Moon is OLD therefore being one of the classic animes where the writers didn't try to reinvent the plot or deconstruct the tropes. This is classical magical girl genre that involves romance and friendship.

I'm not expecting that. Okay, maybe I am somewhere deep inside. However, I just wish it'll be less cheesy and less obvious later on. I know I shouldn't have such hopes... but, I will anyway

mew151

Thunder Trainer
Pretty good start for Sailor Moon Crystal. Animation is beautiful though it seems comedic reactions may become less used, but I think it's fine as it is the first episode. Glad to see a revived series provide new animation, thus a good reason for me to continue watching this show.

Takanori Arisawa will be missed. One of the best to bring such emotion, venture and life for Classic Sailor Moon. Takanashi Yasuharu is all right. Not sure if he's able to implement some violin music like the former has created. I look forward to how he'll create background music during the Crystal series.

Kind of spoiling the upcoming plot there, don't you think? Once or twice of Usagi's dream is fine, but the 3rd mention seem to give it away.

The Classic did a better job on Naru, as there she's caring and supportive, and Usagi's dread from getting a low score on her test (english for Crystal's version).

About the Youma, I like how Crystal made her defeat more frontal when she got dusted; the Classic made her more threatening and a little active so she was pretty terrifying there.

For the 1st episode comparison, I personally prefer the Classic as it takes a good amount of time presenting Usagi's character, while Crystal seem packed and sped through the episode. Still, I have hopes Crystal will be good. I believe they're releasing new episodes every 2 weeks for this series if I'm not mistaken.

matt0044

[video=youtube;aPMh2ZZOCzI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPMh2ZZOCzI[/video]

Hey, Mamoru's purple pants aren't stupid!

matt0044

Glad Luna's silly british accent was done away with.

matt0044

Great dub cast! Love it! I only wish they kept the same voice actor for Luna. Gonna miss that British accent.

Honestly, the british accent was too cartoon-y (yes, even for Sailor Moon).

Anywho, bow before Queen Beryl!

[video=youtube;rcSyO_piUGQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcSyO_piUGQ[/video]