• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Saints Row Thread

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'm surprised this series doesn't have a thread yet. It is one of my favorite series and Saints Row 2 was the very first Xbox game I got. I didn't enjoy the first as well as I enjoyed the sequels.
What do you guys think about 4 based on the trailers? I'm looking forward to it since two of my favorite non-Saints characters are returning.

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
I think there was a thread on this a long time ago after SR2, but then it just drifted.

Anyway, I'm torn on this game; I may rent it since it's the last one in the series, but I just don't want to play it over and over because of it's OTT-ness. I'm personally hoping they'll reboot the series from SR1 and make the series more gritty and ghettoised again, but there's a lot of fans of the new direction that the series is taken, so it's iffy.

Zoruagible

I think there was a thread on this a long time ago after SR2, but then it just drifted.

Anyway, I'm torn on this game; I may rent it since it's the last one in the series, but I just don't want to play it over and over because of it's OTT-ness. I'm personally hoping they'll reboot the series from SR1 and make the series more gritty and ghettoised again, but there's a lot of fans of the new direction that the series is taken, so it's iffy.

Where did you see that it is the final game in the series? I wouldn't mind a reboot as long as they make that final Carnolis mission easier but I'd prefer it going.

I'm interested in how Matt joined the Saints. If we get DLCs I'm hoping we get to fight Dex and Killbane, the two antagonists besides Cyrus who are still out there.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Saint's Row 3 was good but drifted way from what made it Saints Row in the first play. 1 had the best story and 2 keep it up with even better gameplay. 3 did feel much like Saints Row but it wasn't bad. I think that game should have been a spin-off. Then make 3 a game where 3 more gangs move in, then take down the saints slowly, then the Saints come back towards the middle/end of the game.

not dildo bats naked sex slaves

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Honestly, even if Saints Row: The Third is not the best game I've ever played, it's probably the one I've had the most fun with. Then again, it also has no concept of not being completely off the rails.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Saints Row 3 inspired me to buy not one but two mascot costumes. People love 'em and they've exceptionally fun to goof around with. And I get a LOT of requests to have people take pictures when I'm wearing them.

But yeah, I honestly like the Saints Row series way more than the GTA series. Saints Row doesn't take itself too seriously and is just there for the causal, laid back fun.

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
Where did you see that it is the final game in the series? I wouldn't mind a reboot as long as they make that final Carnolis mission easier but I'd prefer it going.

I'm interested in how Matt joined the Saints. If we get DLCs I'm hoping we get to fight Dex and Killbane, the two antagonists besides Cyrus who are still out there.

A couple of the dev videos over on the Saints Row forums had the Lead Writer Steve Jarros confirmed that it was "The last of the series in this direction" or something similar. It basically means that the game will either be rebooted, or it'll just end after the fourth.

Also, if you're talking about that guy in the poster who looks like Matt; I don't think it's him. This game only takes place a couple of years after The Third, and that guy in the post looks late twenties/early thirities. Matt was only 16 in the Third so....I kinda doubt it's him. It'd be funny if it were him, but I'm doubting it now.

Don't count on any storyline DLC either, as Volition don't like doing that anymore. They've abandoned the character of Dex because they didn't want to "alienate" players who didn't play the Corporate Warfare DLC pack, and they announced that they don't want to do future storyline DLC packs because of this. Most likely, none of them will return as now, Volition tend to scrap most characters from past games that aren't actual Saints.

Saint's Row 3 was good but drifted way from what made it Saints Row in the first play. 1 had the best story and 2 keep it up with even better gameplay. 3 did feel much like Saints Row but it wasn't bad. I think that game should have been a spin-off. Then make 3 a game where 3 more gangs move in, then take down the saints slowly, then the Saints come back towards the middle/end of the game.

not dildo bats naked sex slaves

100% agreed. Personally, Volition should just make a new series with all of these wacky ideas and return the Saints Row series to it's original roots; not rehash it all with something different. Sure some people like that, but they shouldn't discourage the older fans from it.

Personally I just don't like the Saints Row series anymore mainly because of how arrogant it's makers are. Their lead writer Steve Jarros has hardly spoken about the story of SRIV, aside from the vague "Oh we're fighting aliens, yay!" quotes. All he does is talk about things like the Dubstep gun and superpowers, which are gameplay topics to discuss, not storyline topics. Moreso, they've been asked over and over in interviews about whether they'll get rid of the OTT tone because of the older fans not liking it, and they pretty much cast them out and ignore them.

Honestly, if you went over to the Saints Row forums, you'd find it all in a war, it's ridiculous.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
If you want to play Saints Row without the over-the-top stature, that's why Grand Theft Auto exists -- in fact, I'm pretty sure that's the only reason it still exists*, except to be a money factory for Rockstar by making "moralists" cry (to be fair, a noble goal -- then again, I think they have new things to cry about, like BioShock Infinite). The over-the-top style of Saints Row is not going anywhere, because that's currently a defining feature of the Saints Row series, and it stops it from just being more or less a GTA knockoff.

That may not excuse tone, but anyone who asks if the series is going to serious up (for lack of a better term) is setting themselves up for disappointment.

*90% facetious

Last edited:

Zoruagible

I'm pre-ordering Saints Row 4 in a few days. I'm looking forward to that special weapon and jet.

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
If you want to play Saints Row without the over-the-top stature, that's why Grand Theft Auto exists -- in fact, I'm pretty sure that's the only reason it still exists*, except to be a money factory for Rockstar by making "moralists" cry (to be fair, a noble goal -- then again, I think they have new things to cry about, like BioShock Infinite). The over-the-top style of Saints Row is not going anywhere, because that's currently a defining feature of the Saints Row series, and it stops it from just being more or less a GTA knockoff.

That may not excuse tone, but anyone who asks if the series is going to serious up (for lack of a better term) is setting themselves up for disappointment.

*90% facetious

When I first bought the game, and started getting to grips with the new tone, I thought it was okay, but it's not something you could replay over and over, and still think it's great. Like, I've tried replaying all the Professor Genki's activities over and over, and it gets seriously boring. I thought the Genkibowl DLC would give me something good to hype about, but after I completed it in no less than an hour and played it again twice, it lost it's value. With GTA, no matter which one it is, I can always replay the whole games over and over, and never get bored for a minute as there is loads to do.

Saints Row TT, and probably IV, are good games to rent if you want to have a quick laugh at something, but it'd probably be a game you'd play once every three or four months. With GTA, it's a game you can play once every three weeks and then replay. And then, that's just the main story; you've got all the cool extras and sidemissions that'll take you ages to do.

I'm pre-ordering Saints Row 4 in a few days. I'm looking forward to that special weapon and jet.

The Eagle jet looks quite cool, but I'm torn on the weapon and the Uncle Sam T-Shirt; it just looks like things that were meant to be in the game, like the Professor Genki SuperEthical Extras. At least with this though; it's free.

Zoruagible

I'm hoping that these aliens leave the game after you beat it like the Stag did in 3 unless they get something similar to gang operations.
The one thing I want most is that nobody dies in this game except Pierce of course, I never liked Pierce. He's so annoying

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
I'm hoping that these aliens leave the game after you beat it like the Stag did in 3 unless they get something similar to gang operations.
The one thing I want most is that nobody dies in this game except Pierce of course, I never liked Pierce. He's so annoying

You'll probably end up killing the Alien Leader and "Showing off you badass epicness to the other aliens" and you'll probably encourage some of the lower members to join you. Either that, or you just wipe them all out.

At least one character will probably die in this game. At first, I believed it would be a character that was voiced by a special guest that would have to be paid a lot (Similar to Johnny Gat and Daniel Dae Kim), so I suspected either Angel or Viola to die in this game. It kinda made sense to me at the time, as Angel's whole story with Killbane and Viola's fight to avenge her sister ended in Three (It could have been carried on if they brought Killbane back, which they could have as their bringing Shaundi back, but they aren't).

Personally, I think they'll keep Pierce, Kinzie and Zimos alive for the entire game, put Shaundi in another life-threatening situation, maybe kill off either Angel or Oleg, and maybe put Viola in another life threatening situation. And if they're introducing another set of three new lietenants (Which they might not if the aliens are just one gang), I can see one of the lietenants dying, similar to Lin and Carlos.

You can really see that Volition are angry at themselves for killing off Johnny Gat; the memorial statue in the collector's edition, his portrait in the box art cover and numerous references to him. I wonder if Johnny Tag will return from the DLC pack, but then again, Volition probably won't want to do that as it would "Alienate those who didn't play Trouble With Clones".

Jb

Tsun in the streets
With the way the series is, they could easily bring Gat back. Just make a clone and give him a different voice. Or just have him show up saying that the aliens revived him for something. I mean, there is zombie Gat so why no?

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
With the way the series is, they could easily bring Gat back. Just make a clone and give him a different voice. Or just have him show up saying that the aliens revived him for something. I mean, there is zombie Gat so why no?

They've already made a "Johnny Gat Memorial Statue" that comes with the Collector's Edition, and Steve Jaros has openly said his death "Was meant to fuel the player's motivation into defeating the Syndicate".

They've already made a clone of him; the massive brute Johnny Tag. But whether he'll return is unknown, as Volition hate tying their stories together with DLC packs. He's sadly definitely not coming back.

I personally know this'll be a fun game to play for it's gameplay, but I'm worried about how weak it's story will be. I mean, in all of the interviews with the lead game writer Steve Jaros, all he's done is made vague details on the story of the game (Which we already know like the fact that the Saints are the US politicians), and talks a lot about how great the gameplay is, like the overhyped Dubstep gun and Superpowers.

Zoruagible

Did anyone else see the new trailer?
I'm disappointed they didn't mention Viola and Angel. They were my favorite Saints they introduced in 3. I hope they're still going to be in the game.

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
Did anyone else see the new trailer?
I'm disappointed they didn't mention Viola and Angel. They were my favorite Saints they introduced in 3. I hope they're still going to be in the game.

Yep; I'm in absolute shock.

They brought back Ben King after his voice actor died? Hmm...

I like the thing with Shaundi; now we have the badass angry version and the hippie version. Pierce looked a little weird in the trailer, and Shaudi is still wearing her old clothes, but Kinzie is doing awesome.

And Keith David? As himself and not Julius little? Curiouser and curiouser.

We still haven't seen Oleg, angel, viola or zimos yet, and I doubt they've all disappeared. My guess is at least one or two of them die early on in the story to compensate for new members.

Zoruagible

Hoping Viola lives through the whole game. She is my favorite out of the Saints introduced in the 3rd.

That black haired guy is Matt though. Wonder if Killbane gets mentioned.
I'm happy King is back though. I was hoping he'd end up a homie after he started helping you in the first game then I got disappointed when he left.

PokemonTrainerTyler

I never played Saints Row but saw the trailer for the 4th one and love it. I know SR3 is free on PS Plus this month so i'll pick it up and see if I like it before getting the 4th. :)

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
Hoping Viola lives through the whole game. She is my favorite out of the Saints introduced in the 3rd.

That black haired guy is Matt though. Wonder if Killbane gets mentioned.
I'm happy King is back though. I was hoping he'd end up a homie after he started helping you in the first game then I got disappointed when he left.

I'm kinda skeptical on the character of Viola; I like her personality, but I hate her for her role in Johnny's death.

I still doubt that black haired guy is Matt; he's probably one of the three new lietennants. Killbane might get a mention from Angel or Viola, but beyond that, I doubt it. Volition now prefer to move on to the next game and try to forget past characters. That's why I'm surprised they brought back Ben King especially after Michael Clarke Duncan died...

I personally don't want to see any of the Saints die, but if someone has to, then I hope it's either Zimos, Oleg or Viola. Or even at least one of the new lietennants. Though it'll probably end up being either Angel, Viola or Oleg, or maybe even Shaundi since this is the last game in the series.

Zoruagible

I just watched the E3 demo. Did I hear them right? We get to romance our companions/homies?
Genki returns!