• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Same Sex Schools?

Profesco

gone gently
It took me months to get used to being around guys again, and I still feel uncomfortable around them.

*points*

I don't really care as long as youth is being educated, but I wouldn't go out of my way to support them. It's just another form of separation, and one that can have long-lasting effects on a person's development, as evidenced by LegendaryRotom above. Part of a complete education is integration into a diverse community, and dividing kids up is counterintuitive to that purpose regardless of what the dividing line is.

ChedWick

I see no reason to be against same sex schools. Alot of the distractions many adolescences face while in schools are distractions caused by the opposite gender. Same sex schools eliminate these distractions and I would believe may even statistically provide a better education but I don't really have any basis for this. Though no one seems to have a basis for what they say in this thread though Profesco is the only one who provides an argument I can actually agree with on the matter.

We also live in an age where social networking is not limited to direct contact. The only obstacle in ones way of meeting new people is that person. So I don't see same sex schools as all that restricting.

Last edited:

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I decided to go to an all-girls Catholic high school for a few years, and let me tell you;
It was the best choice I had ever made in my life.

Everyone seemed at peace. There was no fighting, no troubles with relationships, no senseless drama...
it was so much more likable to be around than a co-ed school. All of the teachers were amazing, the staff, even the principal.
Everyone is more understanding in a same-sex school because they only have to appeal to one sex.
In my experiance, It's easier to learn in a same-sex school as well.
The quality of education is almost indefinitely better.

I had to move out of the school because of financial problems, and I really dislike public school compared to being in an all-girls school.
It took me months to get used to being around guys again, and I still feel uncomfortable around them.
But, in truth, being in that school helped me become who I am today. If I had gone straight into co-ed, I probably would have been a completely different person.

That's all well and good, but the world isn't single sex, and under no circumstances should people be led to believe that they have to understand or appeal to just one gender. It's misrepresentation at best. Even if the quality of education in such a school is 'indefinitely' better, if you don't learn about the real world or worse, learn it in a skewed manner, it really doesn't do you a whole lot of good. Well, not as much as it could be, at any rate.

Also agreeing with Profesco here.

I didn't realize you represented every guy on the planet, excuse me. I was speaking for the majority. :/

Of course. After all, how could he have thought otherwise when you said:
since in public schools all the guys hang out with other guys and all the girls hang out with other girls.
Not to mention, I'm assuming you're speaking from your own experience even if the context is merely the majority of students, which, in my experience, isn't even the case.

GoldenEon

Krazy yaoi shipper
Though more of my friends are girls, I woud honestly not like going to that type of school. I generally have a difficult time talking to boys, and if I spent my life at an all girls school it would be near impossible considering I don't have any male freinds outside of school, only cousins.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
I see no reason to be against same sex schools. Alot of the distractions many adolescences face while in schools are distractions caused by the opposite gender. Same sex schools eliminate these distractions and I would believe may even statistically provide a better education but I don't really have any basis for this. Though no one seems to have a basis for what they say in this thread though Profesco is the only one who provides an argument I can actually agree with on the matter.

We also live in an age where social networking is not limited to direct contact. The only obstacle in ones way of meeting new people is that person. So I don't see same sex schools as all that restricting.

I agree with this.

I go to an all-boys school that 'partners' with the closest all-girls school. We have school functions now and then together that really have nothing to do with schooling, so that's a way (albeit a bit underused) to limit interaction between both sexes without 'stunting' any educational or social factors.

I don't really see how same-sex schools play a huge role in gender segregation seeing as I think children have always been separated by gender regardless of their existence. Same-sex schools don't reinforce gender segregation to a totalitarian degree (though that ultimately depends on the school in question).

...and there was a study proving that students in same-sex schools do get - on average - higher academic results than co-ed schools. It's not a small difference, but it's nothing to fuss about.

LegendaryRotom

@ Profesco: That is more or less my own problem. I'm fairly uncomfortable around all people, just boys to a much greater extent.
While being in a same-sex school did hinder my communication with boys, it's not like I really wanted to communicate with them anyway

Not every girl in an all girl's school is sheltered from the opposite sex. I knew plenty of girls who had boyfriends and such.
You just didn't have to deal with that relationship in school, making the learning experiance easier and more available.

That's all well and good, but the world isn't single sex, and under no circumstances should people be led to believe that they have to understand or appeal to just one gender. It's misrepresentation at best. Even if the quality of education in such a school is 'indefinitely' better, if you don't learn about the real world or worse, learn it in a skewed manner, it really doesn't do you a whole lot of good. Well, not as much as it could be, at any rate.

We did learn about the "real world", just because there weren't any boys doesn't mean we didn't learn about them.
Take history for example. When they taught us about the history of the western world it was indeed told in the way that men built it, because the truth is, they did.
Sure we focused on the women that changed the world as well, but even in an all-girls school they don't try hide the real "facts of life".

Tadashi

kiss my greens
One of my best friends goes to an all-girls school, and they actually hang out with boys - gasp! - outside of class. So, there's still rumors, there's still drama, just like in a normal school. And sometimes it has absolutely nothing to do with boys! The only difference is that the boys aren't in the school with them. Who'da thunk it?

As long as they're getting educated, who gives a crap? Sure it's just another form of separation, but you can't expect various cliques and groups to vanish forever.

And for god's sake, will everyone stop perpetuating the myth that all girls who attend all-girl schools are lesbians? God damn. Not everything has to be about lesbians!

Last edited:

Cassiel

Goddess of Mischief
I'm against same sex schools.
A lot of personal relationships start in school, i.e. boyfriend and girlfriend relationships.
If you go to a same sex school then I think it limits your social life in a way.

EDIT: first post yay!!! ^_^
I second this opinion.

...But I'm not against it. There's a lot of homogeneous school here in my country and it's mostly Catholic school. The only problems there, bullying frequency is much bigger than the heterogeneous school.

Profesco

gone gently
As long as they're getting educated, who gives a crap? Sure it's just another form of separation, but you can't expect various cliques and groups to vanish forever.

Right. And if we have all-black vs all-white schools, and all-low income vs all-high income schools, what's the problem? It's not suggestive of altered reality or lacking diversity at all. The black kids can see white kids outside of school, and so the poor kids the rich ones, so what does it matter if their main daily social arena is cultivating disparity between the two and organizing a divisive mindset in them at an age when they're supposed to be developing mentally and growing the infrastructure of an accurate social outlook for the rest of their lives? There'll always be cliques and radically divided groups anyway, so let's establish a setting that supports and affirms them - that's not the wrong way to go about it at all.

And for god's sake, will everyone stop perpetuating the myth that all girls who attend all-girl schools are lesbians? God damn. Not everything has to be about lesbians!

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Last edited:

Raichu_is_awesome

Surge loves Raichu
I'm against it.

Most of the guys in my school are annoying, idiots. I'm friends with mainly girls because of that, so if there was same-sex schools in my town, I think I would die on the inside.

raichu2626

Volt Tackle
I don't really care for or against it. I just don't know what a guy is supposed to look at all day.

darkjigglypuff

Borderline Troll
Sounds like a fantastic way to raise womanizing young men and straw feminists.

F*** no.

Besides, Girls are the only reason I'm not 15 minutes late to school every day like I used to be.

frozenthrone101

BugBite Leader
i go to a boys same sex school and may i say I HATE IT i didn't even have a choice
my goverment has a subject called cspe seeded into my course, they consider it an important topic for our social development , but has forgotten one thing BOY + BOY = noobs in school they act stupid because there are no girls around so they don't show off to anybody there are no gays in my school cause you will be discriminated against HEAVILY if you are , in my old school was all boys as well but then there was a partner all girls school for Religion
i don't see how it can be a negative factor , everybody acts more mature if the opposite sex is around and allows the teachers to do their job easier , because the boys in a group give them hell
long story short i am for mixed schools

I'm not against their existence, or anything, but I would just like to say thank goodness I didn't go to one for high school.

I've always been a person who gets along wonderfully with both sexes, and I've been like this for essentially my entire life. I need to be in an environment with different types of people, and the way you guys are pigeonholing boys and girls as if they came from different galaxies and need to be segregated as such, then it's a good thing I went to public school to see what boys and girls in the non-segregated real world are like!

GaZsTiC

Alternating
I am not saying I am against it but I think that if girls were absent from my life it would be really weird and it would suck. I mean girls are ...well they're girls - and any adolescent boy should know what I mean by that, and also my best friend is a girl so I think that if you go to a same-sex school you would be missing out on many social aspects that young people should go through.

However, I know someone who went to a same-sex school who was pretty averagely intelligent and the next time I saw them they were really intelligent, so my opinion on them is quite mixed.

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
*points*

I don't really care as long as youth is being educated, but I wouldn't go out of my way to support them. It's just another form of separation, and one that can have long-lasting effects on a person's development, as evidenced by LegendaryRotom above. Part of a complete education is integration into a diverse community, and dividing kids up is counterintuitive to that purpose regardless of what the dividing line is.

I agree with you.

I went to a mixed gender school, and i think that it helped me quite a bit.

I've always been quite a shy person, and wouldn't speak to a lot of people especially girls.

But going to a mixed school helped me come out of myself a little and some of my best friends are girls.

I think if i'd gone to an all boys school i'd have been 10 times more shy, because i wouldn't have had that time to interact and make female friends.

lugia*master

Cheese XD
I'm not against same sex school, I just think that it limits the necessary relationships that should occur during that age.

_Skippy_

Well, i dont exactly know how to put this...its just that....i find something wrong with going to a school and not communicating with the opposite sex. Im not saying its "wrong" im saying its....well i wouldnt want my whole school being a sausage fest, and i would assume the same goes for girls.