• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Saphire/Ruby vs FireRed/Leafgreen.

Mr. Ribbles

Cubchoo Lover
This seems to fit Polls more than R/S/E Discussion...

But, I prefer Firered/Leafgreen over Sapphire/Ruby. FR/LG has a much longer game, and is just funner overall. Emerald is another story...

Bananarama

The light is coming
Which one is better, Saphire/Ruby or Firered/Leafgreen?

Firered/Leafgreen has more content in it than Ruby/Sapphire. For example, you have 2 regions (give or take) in one game.

Personally, I enjoy FRLG for its nostalgic feeling.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Take your pick it's like comparing two Movies, or two books. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

This pretty much.

Firered/Leafgreen has more content in it than Ruby/Sapphire. For example, you have 2 regions (give or take) in one game.

It's one region the Sevii Island are part of Kanto.

empoleon49

Dawn's number 1 fan™
I much preferred R/S over FR/LG. Although it is kind of hard to compare the two.

xDWarrior

This pretty much.

It's one region the Sevii Island are part of Kanto.

Technically correct, and I am not disagreeing with you one bit, but for all functionality's sake they more or less count as a separate mini region.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
I can't choose <.> all of them are great... I have to go with Sapphire/Ruby though. The music does it for me. :3

Kalosian

So long
I think Emerald is the very best, but if you have to pick one of the others, I don't know, they are equally good to me.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I preferred Ruby and Sapphire because I loved Hoenn and all the things that could be done there, but I also kind of liked LeafGreen and FireRed because I thought it was easier to raise Pokemon, what with the VS Seeker allowing you to rebattle trainers easily and the Elite Four's upgraded teams. Still, Ruby & Sapphire were iconic.

Cutty

Forever now
FR/LG have vs. seeker, which is happen to be one my fave items. But I like Hoenn region and its pokemon more.
So 50 - 50 I guess.

Silicone

Poison Moth
Secret Bases, Berries(Planting them), Contests....

RS.

Sevii Islands, Icons for every item, nice overall graphics

FRLG.

I think it's a tie, both of them have good and bad points.

Emerald though, it mixes most of their good points, and thus, is superior.

StormOfFlames

Warrior of Flames
It's really 50 50 to me, FR/LG were extremely fun, but difficult/long , and R/S were also extremely fun, but pretty simple and not really much of a post-game

Last edited:

Brew

Mad dreamer
Oh man, oh man... it's like you're asking me to pick between two of my children! (Just an analogy... ;p) I'm gonna have to say Sapphire/Ruby, because even though FireRed/LeafGreen was a very fun game to play, S/R had more features and a more interesting plot. I'd say the story wins the battle for me.

Lareon

Frlg is probably better than Rse. Cuz, it has better and longer storyline. And great key items such as vs. seeker. I love it

golduck#1

I FireRed and LeafGreen are my favourite pokemon games so I am going with them. Kanto Pokemon and region bring me back memories for when I was a kid so that's why I like it more.

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
I FireRed and LeafGreen are my favourite pokemon games so I am going with them. Kanto Pokemon and region bring me back memories for when I was a kid so that's why I like it more.

Yep, this is pretty much how I feel. Don't get me wrong, I do like Ruby and Sapphire but FR/LG just brings back so much nostalgia for me.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
R/S/E is better in my opinion for 10 reasons

1. Awesome Music and Battle Music (Notably Rival Music, Legendary Theme, Rival Team Themes)
Music in FR/LG are just rehashed and updated versions if red and green music. No new stuff here.

2. Balanced Starters
Don't get me wrong I LOVE Blastoise and I love Venusaur and Charizard but the Hoenn starters seem more balanced with their mixed type resistances and advantages. For example, Blaziken's mixed type advantage is going to help you in the long run. Fire/Fighting can beat rock and help with ground. Charizard has flying/fire which increases his weaknesses a ton and in the long run doesn't help. If you have a fire pokemon wouldn't you much rather have it beat rock and ground types than beat grass and fighting types that pose no threat?

3. Better Plot
The Plot of RSE is too be more than just a pokemon master and beat rival teams. The plot is about meeting new people and trying new things (Dive for instance, Rematches, PokeSchool that actually teaches something)

4. Better and more legit Professor
I mean come on, Professor Oak says your starter is rare while I see 10 other trainers with bulbusaurs on all the routes.

5. Better Extra Content
Emerald more specifically had the chance to go to the battle frontier, obtain the johto starters and rematch gym leaders, FR/LG had none of these things

6. Challenging
The RSE Elite 4 did not pose a threat, a single Blaziken could tear through the whole elite 4 there. Now although that may be true we can all admit Steven Stone, Champion Steven Stone was much harder than Gary due to the fact in FR/LG you develop techniques to beat and surpass Gary due to him always challenging you.

7. Bigger, Less Crammed
Although Hoenn is mostly filled with water, the game requires you to travel more which is much more fun than getting to the next city easily. Kanto is crammed

8. Two Rival Teams
In RSE there are two rival teams making the story line much more interesting while playing

9. Beautiful Landscape and Maps
Tilesets in RSE without a doubt are cooler than Fr/LG.

10. Secret Bases

Cutty

Forever now
R/S/E are my fave but I love LG/FR too.
I hope GF would remake those cool games.