• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Satoshi Yamato or Mato

Art Style?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Whose drawing style do you prefer?

For me, I think I prefer Mato's. It does stick out more and look more unique, for example Pika looks like a fat rat with an extremely stringy and skinny tail. It was a shock to see Pika looking like a regular old Pikachu in FRLG, other examples are Yellow in Mato's style looks so much better to me than Yamamoto's Yellow. Yamamoto's style looks dynamic too and works well for action scenes. Your thoughts? I'm interested in hearing how everyone chimes in.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
Mato is the one who had the deteriorating eyesight, right? That's the one I prefer.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I prefer Satoshi Yamamoto's! I find his style beautiful. Mato's was brilliant in the beginning with the shading, but then I felt things began to slip in GSC (I think I heard she quit because of arthritis) . :c

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Yamamoto.

Mato's chibis were really off-putting in a series like this. It might've worked in another Pokemon manga, but with how Pokespe takes itself seriously, it got obnoxious.

diakyu

I've found that Yamamoto does much better when it comes to the action scenes and also seems to have a higher level of detail. But Mato's style did much better when a scene was clearly meant to be a joke or the characters were being comical. IMO Yamamoto fits pokemon special better.

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
Yamamoto, by far. The transition was a little weird, specially in volumes 10-14. But i think he got the handle of it by volume 15.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Mato's style is cute, but I definitely prefer Yamamoto's style overall. I don't know how to explain my preference that well, I just love the way in which Yamamoto draws my favourite characters - they just look so great IMO!

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
I prefer Satoshi Yamamoto's! I find his style beautiful. Mato's was brilliant in the beginning with the shading, but then I felt things began to slip in GSC (I think I heard she quit because of arthritis) . :c

Yamamoto.

Mato's chibis were really off-putting in a series like this. It might've worked in another Pokemon manga, but with how Pokespe takes itself seriously, it got obnoxious.

I've found that Yamamoto does much better when it comes to the action scenes and also seems to have a higher level of detail. But Mato's style did much better when a scene was clearly meant to be a joke or the characters were being comical. IMO Yamamoto fits pokemon special better.
Yamamoto for the reasons quoted above. They also summed up my feelings about Mato pretty well too.

Yamamoto, by far. The transition was a little weird, specially in volumes 10-14. But i think he got the handle of it by volume 15.
I think the reason for that was Yamamoto trying to stay true to the designs for characters Mato already did and trying to not to do his own style too much to make the change less jarring. I'm really glad that he started using his own style starting with Ruby/Sapphire though, and that he just seems to do everything his own way now.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I really love Mato's chibis. Yes I prefer the chibi's in a story like Pokemon. However I'll say Yamato does much better eyes. I love the way Yamato does the eyes and faces of the characters. So kind of both XD

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
This one panel by Satoshi Yamamoto was very reminiscent of Mato's style to me:

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/QqX1Ffz.jpg[/img139]

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
That's because it's a direct callback to the "let's live together" scene from volume 7.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
That's because it's a direct callback to the "let's live together" scene from volume 7.

Oh yeah, it was! That's a pretty neat thing to do by doing a throwback to the old art style as well.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
I was always a fan of Mato, although he did start to overuse chibis. but in the first few volumes, the artwork is flawless. i find yamamoto's artwork to often look awkward to me, which bothers me, but he's improved a lot since he first started in the GSC chapters

Speaking of which I just found something I've never seen before: Mato's artwork for the Pokemon anime characters!! Take a look: http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8355/226973579.jpg

redchesus

Jade Star Trainer
Oh yeah, it was! That's a pretty neat thing to do by doing a throwback to the old art style as well.

The recent special Red chapter was done in Mato style as well. I think it's pretty cool that Yamamoto is so versatile with his art.

And yeah, Yamamoto's battle scenes are WAY better.

Lady Kuki

Candy.
For some reason, I prefer Yamamoto's. I think it's because it's more dynamic and quirky. I have a thing for styles like that. Mato's art is cute though.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I prefer Satoshi's. It's better in my opinion.

FireChick

I can't seem to decide. I found that Mato's chibi style greatly conveyed the children's enthusiasm and idealistic hope and how it contrasted in the dark, corrupt world of adults, but I found Yamamoto's art in the BW arc to be very good (haven't gotten to GSC or the other arcs yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.