• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Saving Time: An RPG of Prehistoric Proportions [SU]

Hey Folks

I'm writing a bio for a character but I was wondering if someone in Grant's team can have anther weapon if it's practical?

Cheers

SSP used teleport WHOOSH!!

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
Hey Folks

I'm writing a bio for a character but I was wondering if someone in Grant's team can have anther weapon if it's practical?

Cheers

SSP used teleport WHOOSH!!

That depends on what it is. I think that a good rule for that would be no more than one gun for a good guy, and try not to go overboard with that. A pistol and a machete would be fine, but a shotgun and a pistol wouldn't. A shotgun and a machete is a stretch, but I think it could work. Remember, though, Chronos was planning a terrorist attack, and Grant's team was planning a research expedition. It would make sense for a Chronos member to pack some significant firepower, but the paleontologists didn't plan for fighting anything but animals.

Yeah, that was right. No one reads Ray Bradbury anymore :L

***P, what do you mean?

I do... Also, I find it hilarious that the censor cut out "@SS" from "@SSP"

Oh my gosh, I never noticed that censor. I'm too used to Ever Grande City Forums...no censor there XD

I agree with Treecko, that makes sense.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
Cheers treeko... Tho is it alright if I use a bow instead of a gun?
It fits my character and story better

Sure, just as long as it doesn't break the laws of physics.[/Hypocrisy] By that I mean that it should not do as much damage as a gun. If you shoot at anything harder than wood, it will bounce off.

Hey guys

here it is..hope this comes out right....1st time copy pasting long post from word :/

Name: No-dew-ma Bahba

Organization: Grant’s Team

Description:
Born Jack Rook, Bahba is 35 years old but looks closer to 45. He has shoulder length black hair which he often has tied back in a ponytail to keep it out of his face. His hands and feet are calloused and tough after living with both aboriginal and South American tribes and his skin is stained a deep brown from the accumulated grime and tanning of almost ten years of tribal life.
A self-stylised cross between Indiana Jones and Steve Irwin, Bahba almost always wears pale-green short sleeve t-shirts, ¾ length shorts and his trusty leather ‘Poet’ Hat. Whilst not overly muscled, Bahba is strong in a wiry sort of way and with high level training in Silat he can definitely hold his own if the fists go up.

Personality:
Bahba is a bit of a conundrum, at times he can be a joker, laughing and playing tricks on his team mate, but at other times he can lose his temper, in a big way, if someone is being unreasonably cruel to animals or being harshly disrespectful towards others. After his time living in Central Australia and Southern America he has gained a deep respect for nature and life in general, even to the point where if someone is in trouble he will risk his life to help them, even if moments ago they were trying to kill him.
Bahba doesn’t like guns, never has, never will. He finds them far too noisy and messy and he doesn’t like the feelings of power guns give the wielder or the trepidation and fear they instil in other people. Bahba prefers bows, they are simple, quiet and, best of all, in this day and age do not corrupt and terrorise people nearly as much as guns do.

History:
By the age of twenty five, Bahba was already a competent amateur palaeontologist and zoologist, traveling around the world watching animals and digging up fossils. At this point he decided to spend time with the Aboriginal tribes in Australia, where he learnt more about the art of survival, archery and bush craft. During this time he was given the name he now uses ‘No-dew-ma Bahba’ which is Wagiman for ‘White Brother’. After five years of living like this he went to the jungle tribes of South America, using contacts he had made in previous forays studying the local flora and fauna. Here he learnt jungle craft, and how to make poisons from the secretions off the backs of poison arrow frogs.
Three years after entering the jungles he returned to civilisation and continued his life both wiser, and older than before. Now, at the age of 35 Bahba heard rumours of a man named Henry Grant, who was recruiting palaeontologists for an expedition to end all expeditions in the Sonoran Desert. Bahba packed his bags and moved on to his next adventure.

Inventory:
- Wooden short bow, hand crafted x1
- Arrows, assorted heads, hand crafted x25
- Spare bowstrings x2
- Flint and steel x1
- Dried meals x1 week supply
- Grapple hook x1
- Rope x70ft
- Leather backed sketchpad x1
- 1 litre metal thermos x1
- Machete x1
- 30 litre back pack x1

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
PENDING. Your history is fine, but you need to just about double both your description and your personality. Also, just a minor error in your history. Australia is actually the only continent that didn't ever use bows in a large scale. You might want to change it so that your character got the bow from South America.

Bows weren't used in Australia that much? Probably should have done more research :/
And sure I can probably double my description and personality
Cheers

KYOGRE-D

Woohoo! A bow and arrows user! THis will be really interesting... :D

1st to Kyogre-D: yeah I thought it would be a good idea to have a guy who won't run out of ammo after the first week XD

2nd to greatguy:.....'aboriginal genes'? Can't see where the genes comes in....I forgot to mention, and I am going to put it into the redraft, Bahba was born in Hythe, a village in the New Forest, England....so not quite sure where 'aboriginal genes' came from....

Anyway the redraft is coming on a bit slow....life decided to pull a fast one on me and I haven't really had enough time to make changes, hope to get it in soon

SSP used teleport!!! WHOOSH!!

Just to say I should be able to get the redraft up over the weekend
Cya then!

EDIT: jeez sorry had a huge amount of homework on Friday thought I'd get through it this weekend but apparently not....

SSP used teleport!! WHOOSH!!

Last edited:

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
I was planning on seven members on each team, but I might have to lower my expectations. Right now, we have three on each team (four on Grant's team once SSP revises his post), and two people who were at one point planning to make characters, although I'm starting to doubt that they're still interested. Discarding the highly improbable case that this RPG becomes incredibly popular very fast, I'm planning to drop the number to five, and possibly to four. Also, I've updated the accepted entries in the first post, so if I somehow screwed up, I would appreciate it if someone told me for fear of my looking like an even larger idiot than I actually am. Thank you!

Chthonic Flames

DepressionEscapist
(Idk about good guns so I guess copy+paste it! I'm assuming that it COULD be modified to be a double barrelled and double action one?)

It would be rather silly to have a double barrel/single action revolver. The amount of prep time for each shot would be ludicrous. Though you specified that the gun is modified, the AF2011-A1 Double barrel pistol, the only one of its kind on the market that I'm aware of offers two independent triggers as well as a single trigger model. I think you're trying to approach the two independant trigger setup though.

On the topic of guns, might I recommend that you all SERIOUSLY reconsider what kind of weapons you'll be using? To the two people who chose the Desert Eagle and M1911 handguns, you can ignore the following paragraphs. The highest power guns I've seen in the signups so far are a "hunting rifle" and all the pistols being packed around. While none of these are specific enough descriptions to make a sound judgement on, please consider that most handguns are practically useless to large modern game. If you want to stop a bear, you need to be packing least .30-06 mm ammunition, which already puts you in the scale of military grade rifles and small hunting revolvers. Even then, it'll take a lot of well trained shots to actually do any damage. If you actually want to be effectively fighting a bear, most hunters would suggest you take something closer to .44 Magnum rounds, which has been documented to take down polar bears and elephants.

If we're talking about dinosaurs, which easily dwarf the largest game we can realistically hunt today, it's not a stretch to assume that it would take at least these heavier rounds to really put a dent into some of the larger ones, assuming this is to be an issue, though tyrannosaurs such as the infamous T. rex and Albertosaurus were found in North America at the time. Even among plant eaters it's not unreasonable to discuss shooting at a Right now it looks like everyone's geared up to fight each other more, or at least to be facing smaller animals (hunting knives and bow and arrows won't take out anything larger than a deer, realistically). Just my two cents on the weapons everyone has chosen thus far.

I have a question though, regarding the Chronos motives. Are we preparing to go capture dinosaurs from the past? Or should we be more focused on taking the laboratory? Because the technical plot setup for Chronos people is that we're going to be taking the lab, but it seems that we're being railroaded into the late cretaceous period for some reason. For now I'll just put down information for dino-hunting, since we already seem to have Chronos people who are prepared for some kind Western style shootout (everyone's packing pistols and some melee weapons) to take the laboratory.

So without further ado, my SU.

Name: Marleena Feyr

Organization: Chronos

Description: At an average height for a woman her age, she stands at 5'9, though her athletic build adds a lot of muscle weight to someone similar in a much less strenuous lifestyle. She appears to be of Asian descent, having a Japanese mother and a German father, leading to the strange combination of traits which she has from them both. She has dark black hair, and emerald green eyes. Her skin is very tan from having spent the last 10 years travelling around Africa and Asia, and she keeps her hair cut short to keep it away from her face. She as a three lined scar that runs from her left shoulder diagonally across her back, but is rarely seen.

When she's not hunting, she generally wears a pair of cargo jeans and a simple t-shirt and jacket. She avoids makeup like the plague, but does occasionally wear clip-on earrings for the more social occasions. She's always wearing heavy duty hiking boots to every occasion, because, as she will always tell you, "They're comfortable". She also wears a simple silver necklace with a small part of a rhinocerous horn, similar to the popular shark tooth necklaces.

Personality: She's very social, and very open-minded about things that aren't hunting. She prefers the company of people when she's not on business, and will willingly help anyone learn how to use a firearm properly. Though she has a personal aversion to people who are unnecessarily violent, her history as a safari guide and hunting guide has led her to be able to ignore most kinds of personal irritation. To her, life is a great adventure which shouldn't be wasted behind a cubicle. She loves the great outdoors, and will go at great lengths to spend time outside, at least a half hour session per day. Spiritually she doesn't associate with any religion, but her time in nature has drawn her to associate with many Buddhist, Jainist, and Wiccan beliefs. She speaks English, German and Afrikaans with great fluency.

When she's working, her demeanor changes. She tries to maintain a perfectly professional attitude, and while she isn't stone-faced the whole time, most attempts to distract her will simply be ignored. She isn't against hunting as a sport, justifying the claim by the fact that whenever she has led an expedition/killed an animal herself, she finds uses for all the parts, with little to no waste left behind, if possible. She abhors illegal hunting and poaching, never associating with people who plan to kill off a species without attempting to maintain ecological balance.

History: Born to a Japanese mother and German father in South Africa, Marleena grew up in a very interesting environment. While her mother worked as a cashier in a local shopping center, her father was a safari guide to German tourists in the area. While he did most of his work at Krueger National Reserve, he also would take hunters into sanctioned hunting zones. He and Marleena would often spend weekends together in the wilderness, where her father taught her almost everything he could about survival, hunting, and tracking. Growing up in the household, she learned German from her father, and learned English and Afrikaans through her day to day life. When she was 16, she started accompanying her fathers tours, even starting to give her own tours and expeditions into the parks as her first job.

When she was 21, she finally decided it was time for her to see more of the world, and with her parents' blessings, traveled through Africa, India, and North America working as a big game hunter and safari guide. Having gotten used to the lifestyle, she rapidly became known throughout big-game hunting circles as one of the best women in the field. She continued to work free-lance, often living in one area for a few months before moving to the next job. A few weeks ago, shortly after her 28th birthday, she was approached by the Chronos group to lead "the most expensive, most exciting" hunting party that would ever be held on the face of the Earth. She has only been told that they are planning to hunt big game in North America, and doesn't know about the group's true intentions. She's being brought along as the hunting advisor and actual hunter for the sortie.

Inventory:
  • Vigilance VR1 .505 Gibbs Big Game Rifle
  • Taurus Raging Bull .454 Revolver
  • Radio
  • Hunting Knife
  • Kelty Redwing 50 Liter backpack
  • .454 Casull rounds x60, .45 Colt rounds x60
  • .505 Gibbs rounds x90
  • Week's Supply of Food
  • Camping Utensils (pot, pan, firesteel, utensils, canteen)
  • Woodland, Plains style Ghilly Body Suits
  • Bowstrings x5
  • Rope (10 m) x2
  • Rock Climbing Gloves

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
Thanks for all that info on the guns. I'm pretty useless on the topic. I'll redo my inventory based on that. Anyway, good sign up. The personality section was a little short, but still acceptable, so ACCEPTED.

Oh, and as to the motive, you would be planning to take the lab. Chronos wasn't planning to go back in time immediately. They were planning to take over the lab, and wait for reinforcements and supplies to take the dinosaurs. Keep in mind that the lab is in the middle of the desert, though, so Chronos would have planned for that.

Last edited:

KYOGRE-D

@Chthonic Flames: Um...... yes? The only experience I have had with guns has been shooting No. 8 .22 and .762 CTR rifles. So, not much reference. As to the gun, then, can you give me a good one? the one you mentioned sounds good, but can it fire one at time one AND two at a time, or only 2 at a time?

Chthonic Flames

DepressionEscapist
@Chthonic Flames: Um...... yes? The only experience I have had with guns has been shooting No. 8 .22 and .762 CTR rifles. So, not much reference. As to the gun, then, can you give me a good one? the one you mentioned sounds good, but can it fire one at time one AND two at a time, or only 2 at a time?

Well, as far as I know, it's the only handgun like what you described which is MADE to fire multiple shots at the same time. While there are similar Sig Sauer handguns, they're basically just two guns welded together and then modified to allow for double firing.

The one I linked you to has the option of two independant triggers (one at a time or two at a time, depending on how you pull the triggers) OR a single combinant trigger (both barrels are fired simultaneously).