• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Say something positive about your least favorite series

RLC

I don't know about hate lol. I don't hate it but even the gen 3 fans seem to think about otherwise if Max is included in the discussion
max? what do you mean? did people hate him back in the day? is it the badge thing when ash faced his father cause I will admit that was a tilting moment

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
max? what do you mean? did people hate him back in the day? is it the badge thing when ash faced his father cause I will admit that was a tilting moment
A lot of people found him annoying and while I thought he was bearable, I kind of see where they are getting at. He's essentially mini side-kick Brock with an attitude saying "Your amazing Ash" and "That's not how you use moves Ash" etc, at least that's what I think the anime crew was going for.

Kintaro

Banned
Max just wasn't handled well after early Hoenn, besides that one Ralts episode. Bonnie was a little kid companion character done right.

As for me:

Johto: All the Team Rocket fillers were gold. It's amazing that as dull as most of Johto was, all the Team Rocket/Wobbufett eps are the funniest eps of the series. Of course the league at the end was great too.

BW: I actually loved the Don battle tournaments, some of the secondary rivals, and the beginning was ok. But sadly BW falls apart as it goes on. I don't think BW is completely terrible, it has it's share of good episodes, but when you think of the saga as a whole it's just so lackluster and disappointing.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
BW: Iron Tail being a cgi move that actually turns it into a steel-colored body part was a vast improvement over glowing tail.
XY: Hate the story as much as I do, I can't fault the use of the camera.

DatsRight

Max just wasn't handled well after early Hoenn, besides that one Ralts episode. Bonnie was a little kid companion character done right.

As for me:

Johto: All the Team Rocket fillers were gold. It's amazing that as dull as most of Johto was, all the Team Rocket/Wobbufett eps are the funniest eps of the series. Of course the league at the end was great too.

BW: I actually loved the Don battle tournaments, some of the secondary rivals, and the beginning was ok. But sadly BW falls apart as it goes on. I don't think BW is completely terrible, it has it's share of good episodes, but when you think of the saga as a whole it's just so lackluster and disappointing.

I'll give credit to both Johto and BW for handling TR in a way that didn't feel tacked on, which was rare for most post-Kanto parts of the show.

Johto was still revelling in having them as pseudo villain protagonists, still calling back to their backstories and complexities and keeping their jaded chemistry with the twerps. Also liked Wobbuffet having more involvement in the schemes in this era, even SM despite having him out of his ball full time doesn't actually let him do much individually (if I remember correctly Likitung also appeared a bit more commonly here before getting replaced as well).

Also Johto was probably the high point for the English dub, the scripts and acting were at their funniest here.

BW was also the famous 'competent Team Rocket' arc, with Giovanni and the whole organisation being an active threat in Unova and the Trio being an actual menace. I feel this would have been much more appreciated if there was a proper transition, if they had kept more of their personalities and we saw them DEVELOP their resources and competence, but all the same it was cathartic to see Team Rocket force proper two way fights out of the twerps instead of effortless beatings, to actually make Ash and co ACKNOWLEDGE THEM AS A THREAT. Even the times they reverted back to being comedic seemed to bring back more of that old rivalry, with more OS level chemistry or creativity like the Meowth turns good arc or some of their DA schemes. This was about the one series TR actually got something of creditible 'final stand' with the main group instead of one final slither of a curbstomp.

Basically to make up for the poor handling of the main arcs, these seemed two rare series where 'Ash vs Team Rocket' seemed an inherent drive to the show and even one of the best factors about it in a way that didn't feel like an insult.

Xuxuba

Can't decide between SM and BW, so i will do both.

I will compliment SM for it's attempt to innovate with it's change of setting, even if it didn't turn out well due to the poor execution.

I would also praise this generation's movies, but since they have no connection to the actual tv series, i guess i'll refrain from it.

Now, for BW, i have to compliment Iris' backstory and TR newfound competence.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Yeah it's just too bad that the TRio couldn't act competently for the entirety of the saga. I thought that they should've stayed serious just for consistency's sake.

I do like when they went back to 'classic TR' however, that they at least did an effortful job of it, like they were at least funny and semi-challenging adversaries for the twerps again over plot device jobber villains that don't benefit the story whatsoever. It was kind of cathartic to see them in funny mode again, but as much because they kept a LITTLE of their former menace and chemistry to make it like the OS rivalry again, no longer at AG/DP level pathetic third wheels anymore.

It's a real shame XY didn't keep up the same effort for very long at all, and SM is only just showing signs of undoing that downgrade. It felt like BW was the last series that really appreciated the 'Ash vs Team Rocket' rivalry besides as a plot device. After that the two were practically incompatible entities.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedR said:
BW - Tournaments spread across the series instead of focus on one major event (ie Pokemon League)

That was a good thing in my opinion, too. In fact, the Don George tournaments from BW were more enjoyable to me than the Isshu League itself, which I thought was pretty disappointing for the most part given the lackluster 1-on-1 match between Satoshi and Shooti, and then the awful battle between Satoshi and Kotetsu.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
BW:
+ The best animation the Show had yet to see
+ Fun, lively rivals
+ Cilan was one of the better and most useful male companions
+ Ash-tachii gaining several honorary members
+ Operation Tempest
+ No Legendary/Mythical left behind!
+Interesting, deep, and even likable COTDs & minor characters
+The TRio in DA (HATED the arc, but this is where they started to turn things around)

Last edited:

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
BW:
+ The best animation the Show had yet to see
+ Cilan was one of the most useful male companions
+ Ash-tachii gaining several honorary members
+ Operation Tempest
+ No Legendary/Mythical left behind!

I love that BW's animation is finally getting praised since it was pretty fluid compared to some of the older animation from past sagas. I disagree about Cilan though. No matter what anyone says, I don't see the good that he supposedly did.

DatsRight

For all people complain about Iris' arc with Dragonite, it must surely get points for actually calling out the show's plot armour! What other points does it actually have the spine to claim one of the protagonists didn't earn a victory?

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
For all people complain about Iris' arc with Dragonite, it must surely get points for actually calling out the show's plot armour! What other points does it actually have the spine to claim one of the protagonists didn't earn a victory?

All I remember about Kairyu's capture were the complaints that it was given to Iris for doing nothing, which I never agreed with since it wasn't a gift Pokemon and she had to get on Kairyu's good side just to get him to obey her.

DatsRight

She won battles despite it not obeying her and the other fighters called her out on that bullcrap. Like whenever did you see them treating Misty's victories with Psyduck as unearned?

A protagonists' victories being undermined was a pretty big step for the show's writing, since they often relied on handing them wins.