• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Say something positive about your least favorite series

Leonhart

Imagineer
My least favourite series was the Original Series since unlike others I thought that it was full of flaws most notably the pacing in Kanto and later in Johto. But even with that, I thought that some of the filler episodes were really creative and many of them made me laugh which is very rare for the anime these days. I also liked how Ash had more charisma back then than he does now.

I definitely felt that Satoshi was much more witty back then in terms of his interactions with his friends. He was also a bit sassier with the Rocket-dan back in Kanto and the Orange Islands arc overall, and some of my favorite Satoshi moments were his interactions with the trio in certain OS episodes, like the Pigeot episode where he started jumping up and down on the tree to make the Rocket-dan trio fall and get attacked by wild Onisuzume.

Peter Harrison

-Lillie and Gladion are very good characters and have some good development.
Misty and Brock’s return was awesome and were great episodes to watch.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
BW: The moments they gave to Iris were really good. The series as a whole could have been better if they focused on Iris more instead of making her just an annoying background character. Ash's Krookodile is amazing. I liked the more serious Team Rocket that they presented, since they still kept their silly side intact, but toned it down.

AG: The Battle Frontier Arc is amazing. It's just the Hoenn portion that's a bit boring to me.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
It's funny, for years Johto used to be considered the low point of the anime, but now that BW and SM exist, now I'm not so sure. Granted all the sagas do still have good episodes, but there's just so many flaws holding them back.

Johto: Even though the original trio dynamic fell apart here, I do think Misty and Brock had stronger solo episodes here than Kanto. It's weird, Misty herself was more entertaining in Kanto, but she technically got a bit more to do in Johto. It still wasn't enough however as Misty is treated like a background character outside the eps that focus on water pokemon. And considering Johto went on for 156 episodes, that's a whole lot of episodes of her doing nothing.

BW: I liked Cilan as he was a vast improvement over DP Brock. He may have gotten too overbearing at times, but I was so happy Brock was finally gone from the anime I didn't care. Good god was I ready to see Brock leave for years before he actually did.

SM: Mallow's mother episode is probably one of the best and most emotional episodes of the entire series.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I definitely felt that Satoshi was much more witty back then in terms of his interactions with his friends. He was also a bit sassier with the Rocket-dan back in Kanto and the Orange Islands arc overall, and some of my favorite Satoshi moments were his interactions with the trio in certain OS episodes, like the Pigeot episode where he started jumping up and down on the tree to make the Rocket-dan trio fall and get attacked by wild Onisuzume.

That was probably more of a dub thing unless he was just as sassy in the Japanese version? I've never seen it but I know that the dub took liberties with some of his lines and made him more rude in some scenes at least according to Dogasu.

Leonhart

Imagineer
BTS_fan said:
That was probably more of a dub thing unless he was just as sassy in the Japanese version? I've never seen it but I know that the dub took liberties with some of his lines and made him more rude in some scenes at least according to Dogasu.

In most cases the main gist of what he was saying was kept although his dialogue wasn't always translated faithfully, and in a few instances he was somewhat more rude towards the Rocket-dan in the dub than he was in the Japanese version from what I can remember. But since those three made his life miserable by constantly chasing after him and Pikachu, I could easily ignore some of his more inconsiderate dub remarks back in the OS era of the anime.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Some time he can be rude or something like that toward the trios but most he usually just get "shonen" piss mode to them as it is hero vs villains gag thing.

DatsRight

I think it's less ruder but more 'dry wit' added, like he has genuinely funny and sarcastic lines. I don't know how much of this exists in the Japanese version back then, but the majority of the time in later episodes he just repeats the same stock indignant quotes against TR (though SM shows him being a bit more snarky towards other characters). It's ironic that the longer the formula went the LESS likely they were to make fun of how long TR had been doing this shtick.

The mischievous and meta aware side of Ash and the other twerps around TR was definitely something that made their rivalry more charming in the earlier episodes, and the omission of led to their face-offs feeling more like a boring tumour to the stories (I mean they were a third wheel in those days too, but that was the actual humour). They went from a dynamic that made fun of repetitive hero vs villain formulas to completely playing it straight.

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
but the majority of the time in later episodes he just repeats the same stock indignant quotes against TR (though SM shows him being a bit more snarky towards other characters).

I have noticed that in recent sagas Satoshi and his friends seem less aggrieved when the Rocket-dan shows up, almost as if they know to expect it by now and they can barely muster the strength to be genuinely upset, so they simply go through the motions as if they've rehearsed for those moments beforehand.

Emelie

Bookworm
I think the rivalry with Mimikyu and Pikachu changed the dynamic between Satoshi and Team Rocket. They have never really had a strong Pokémon like this before so it's almost as if he is excited to fight them in some episodes.

Not sure if SM is my least favorite saga though. It is kind of a mixed bag. Some episodes are really emotional while other episodes seem almost pointless because of how uneventful they are. There are also too many characters and the plot with the villian (who isn't even a villian anymore) happened too fast and was resolved too easily.

After this nothing was really at stake anymore and I lost the ability to take Lusamine seriously as a villian especially since she was basically a damsel in distress in the Ultra games who needed to be rescued from the past male villians. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth since she was the first female main antagonist.

But then again there are also all these emotional scenes:

Lillie overcoming her trauma, Litten losing his father figure, the bond between Musashi and Mimikyu who are not so different, all the Miniors sacrificing themselves to feed Rayquaza who protects the Earth and Mallow coping with the grief of losing her mother...

Leonhart

Imagineer
Emelie said:
I think the rivalry with Mimikyu and Pikachu changed the dynamic between Satoshi and Team Rocket. They have never really had a strong Pokémon like this before so it's almost as if he is excited to fight them in some episodes.

I find the whole Mimikkyu and Pikachu rivalry to be really interesting and it's definitely one of my favorite things about SM despite how much some of the gags bother me. At least as far as battles go, Mimikkyu versus Pikachu always deliver.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Mimikyu’s gag has been played out imo. I did like their battle on Ula Ula though

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I find the whole Mimikkyu and Pikachu rivalry to be really interesting and it's definitely one of my favorite things about SM despite how much some of the gags bother me. At least as far as battles go, Mimikkyu versus Pikachu always deliver.

On this subject, where's that one guy who keeps saying that Mimikyu might kill Pikachu? I dunno if he's still a member here, but I remember him making several threads about his fear that Mimikyu will commit murder the next time he fights Pikachu. :p

Emelie

Bookworm
Yeah, it did become a little repetitive after a while. But then again there are a lot of repetitive gags in the anime. At least this time it had some kind of effect on the overall story since Pikachu had to become smarter and learn new moves in order to survive Mimikyu's wrath LOL.

Nice change of pace since Pikachu usually turns the other cheek when encountering a mean or hostile Pokémon.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Ash's battle against Paul wasn't the best of the whole series, but it was the best of my least favorite saga.

Litleonid

Best Wishes: Uhh....I like how they often had those tournaments and even gave Ash's companions rivals.

Sun and Moon: The art style is beautiful and the animation is very fluid.