• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Say something positive about your least favorite series

Leonhart

Imagineer
Best Wishes did have quite a few good Gym battles especially during the second half of the region, although the battle at the Raimon Gym still haunts me somewhat since it totally ruined the momentum that Satoshi had built up in the first three Gyms of the saga. His strategy against Kamitsure was just awfully embarrassing.

MockingJ

Banned
Best Wishes had some badass gym leaders.

I liked them all except Skyla since she was lazy and didn't want to battle when Ash and friends first met her. Her philosophy about not needing to battle if she thought that she had a clear advantage just so she could have more free time to fly her plane was messed up.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I liked them all except Skyla since she was lazy and didn't want to battle when Ash and friends first met her. Her philosophy about not needing to battle if she thought that she had a clear advantage just so she could have more free time to fly her plane was messed up.
BW gym leaders basically have no officials judging them. There's no justice for what they do and they can brush a trainer off for petty reasons just so they don't battle (Clyde being the most insulting, because he practically demanded Ash to go get the equivalent of Pokemon weed...and he's an immigrant, unlike his better portrayal in the games).

...Which is disturbing, because it's no different than unlawful justice in the US, and that region was based on the US. I sometimes think the writers wrote Unova sooo badly with intentions to shame the US that there were so many stupid/stuck up/zany trainers all over the place (basically nearly all the trainers/rivals Ash met except for Virgil). Even the Champion of the region was written as a guy who is so embarrassing to look at times.

MusicFan22

I don’t really blame you, because her attitude was problematic. I think that apart from LT Surge, Skyla was the only gym leader that Ash had a legitimate reason to be angry with.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I don’t really blame you, because her attitude was problematic. I think that apart from LT Surge, Skyla was the only gym leader that Ash had a legitimate reason to be angry with.
And she didn't even launch him out of cannons like game!Skyla.

Best Wishes: Uhh....I like how they often had those tournaments.

As much as I love the Don George tournaments (Bianca beating Trip and Throh vs Sawk are highlights of BW as a whole), the Unova League shows why maybe they're not so great an idea. The writers only have so much creativity, and they used a lot of it writing the tournaments, which caused the League to suffer massively as a result.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Don't we already have this thread somewhere?

Yes and therefore I'm going to copy and paste my answer from it:

BW:
1. It's evaluation time!
2. Cilan was a breath of fresh air after Brock had become stale. I liked the episodes where they were like bros like the double battle episode.
3. Episode N
4. how Da! had a lot of callbacks to the past
5. Alexa debuting and debuting Gen VI Pokémon. It was nice to see after I thought they had stopped that tradition in the DP-BW transition.
6. Competent TR - Giovanni actually showing up in Unova and battling Ash - being the main villain arc for once
7. the Meowth arc
8. the origin of the Dunsparce meme
9. The Team Plasma arc having a 6-part finale, still the most episodes in a villain finale
10. all the tournament arcs
11. All main characters actually being active battlers (largely because of the tournament arcs)
12. Ash having a female rival for once
13. the Bianca gag where she got Ash wet
14. all main characters having rivals for once
15. Dawn and Cynthia returning
16. TR stopping appearing in every episode

I honestly can’t think of anything good to say about Johto’s part of OS

What about:
-Whirl Cup
-Lugia 3-parter
-Red Gyarados/Lake of Rage 2-parter
-Pryce's involvement in the Lake of Rage episodes and how it leads directly into his gym battle
-Larvitar arc
-Clair 5-parter
-Ash/Gary
-Blaziken making its anime debut before Typhlosion
-wait that last one is a bad thing

For me, not really. I was satisfied with the XY series as a whole. SM I'm not sure how to describe, that one's a little more complicated as you can see with the fan's different range of reactions. However when I was watching the BW series early on, I honestly didn't understand most of the criticisms early on. Many of the first range of episodes early on were good, really really good and not only that but this is where I started to see some new changes in technology and an evolution between DP and XY's action scenes. For me, this seemed like the BW series were genuinely going to be a great because it actually felt new, perhaps even could be the best Pokemon series... until Ash & Co. hit Castelia City and then it starts to slow down and regresses back to your average Pokemon anime. It especially gets pretty bad after the 7th gym. I thought Roxanne gym battle was actually one of the best battles I've seen in a long while but you could really tell the anime crew was just trying to rush out all the major BW plot points in order to hurry to the next anime adaptation. What makes it even worst if your a Pokemon Adventures fan and you've seen the Black & White games done great justice in a story adaptation, then this becomes so much worst because there is so much Gen 5 stuff that is missing and underutilized in the anime.

Did you mean Roxie?

A lot of people found him annoying and while I thought he was bearable, I kind of see where they are getting at. He's essentially mini side-kick Brock with an attitude saying "Your amazing Ash" and "That's not how you use moves Ash" etc, at least that's what I think the anime crew was going for.

Bonnie was a little kid done right

All I remember about Kairyu's capture were the complaints that it was given to Iris for doing nothing, which I never agreed with since it wasn't a gift Pokemon and she had to get on Kairyu's good side just to get him to obey her.

I think people thought that getting on its good side would be good enough for a lower-tier Pokémon but not good enough for a PSEUDOLEGENDARY. Then again, the writers probably don't realize the difference.

That's likely because BW was supposed to be Team Rocket's final series and Operation Tempest was supposed to be their swan song until fans and creative members convinced them to keep them on. It was nice as a bit of epic involvement for Giovanni and the organisation at last, though it's kinda sad knowing it'd have to be their supposed last ever appearance for them to do anything that level again.

Hm, if it was originally supposed to be their last appearance I'm surprised Giovanni didn't admit to being Ash's dad.

I might have hated some episodes from the Orange Islands journey like the steamboat episode and the Nidoran filler, but that saga did good by introducing regional variants of Kanto Pokemon like 15 years before Sun/Moon did.

There's a lot of evidence that a lot of Alola took inspiration from the Orange Islands. The 4 gym leaders with unique gyms with tasks that aren't always battling. The Crystal Onix having a different typing.

I find the whole Mimikkyu and Pikachu rivalry to be really interesting and it's definitely one of my favorite things about SM despite how much some of the gags bother me. At least as far as battles go, Mimikkyu versus Pikachu always deliver.

The battle in the abandoned mart was the best Ash vs. TR battle in the history of the show.

Ash's battle against Paul wasn't the best of the whole series, but it was the best of my least favorite saga.

It was the best of all time and the best of the best series.

DatsRight

As much as I love the Don George tournaments (Bianca beating Trip and Throh vs Sawk are highlights of BW as a whole), the Unova League shows why maybe they're not so great an idea. The writers only have so much creativity, and they used a lot of it writing the tournaments, which caused the League to suffer massively as a result.

BW was probably the one series that tried to do a bit of everything at top notch battle wise and I think ultimately that's why it capsized. Making frequent mini-tournaments, rival battles, and even a lot of the Team Rocket face-offs halfway good was too much for them and ultimately led to everything eventually falling apart from over work. I just don't think the writers can consistently choreograph solid battles, they need breathers. XY and DP had solid 'main event' battles but wedged between loads of underwhelming fillers. I think that's why SM is basically a break from professional battling and even downplays focus on dumbed down battles like bad guy curb stomps. The writers want to experiment with alternatives so they don't exhaust things again.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
What about:
-Whirl Cup
-Lugia 3-parter
-Red Gyarados/Lake of Rage 2-parter
-Pryce's involvement in the Lake of Rage episodes and how it leads directly into his gym battle
-Larvitar arc
-Clair 5-parter
-Ash/Gary
-Blaziken making its anime debut before Typhlosion
-wait that last one is a bad thing
-Besides Ash vs Misty, I found it boring. Neat idea, mediocre execution
-Lugia’s 3 parter fits the second half of the above statement
-Read above
-Eh Pryce wasn’t all that interesting. Nice to see events of the anime connecting with each other though
-Larvitar’s arc was nice but ultimately pointless
-I hate Clair sorry
-Overrated battle imo outside of Charizard vs Blastoise. Lack of consistent interactions between the two hurts the impact
-Blaziken messed up both Charizard & Typhlosion to exert dominance as the best Fire starter:p