• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scambots (and how to deal with them maybe?)

How often do you see spambots (And contents, select 4)

• Total voters

Lorphiiforme

Manta ray enthusiast
i’ve seen a lot of scambots, trying to link you to sketchy websites, to attempting to sell you live animals. what are they? I don’t know but they are an issue in my eyes.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The spambots are annoying, but they are hard to take out due to the mod shortage.
I think Serebii is trying to find a way to also curtail the amount of them flowing into the forums, but who knows what will come of that.

My best advice is to ignore them and only report them if they are piling up on a specific forum (to where the actual threads are getting buried).

Hydrangea

Just a creature
Staff member
There has been a plug in installed that catches *some* of them, but a lot slip through the cracks. Best thing you can do is report them so mods can deal with them. I usually comb through the forums before I go to bed at night to catch some.

Lorphiiforme

Manta ray enthusiast
They do be funny tho.
I agree. Funny little bots. I wouldn’t mind if they went however. They sure are random.
There has been a plug in installed that catches *some* of them, but a lot slip through the cracks. Best thing you can do is report them so mods can deal with them. I usually comb through the forums before I go to bed at night to catch some.
Do you think its safe to check them? Like i’m curious but also frightful as to what could happen. Maybe common sense should apply here when needed.
The spambots are annoying, but they are hard to take out due to the mod shortage.
I think Serebii is trying to find a way to also curtail the amount of them flowing into the forums, but who knows what will come of that.

My best advice is to ignore them and only report them if they are piling up on a specific forum (to where the actual threads are getting buried).
I’ll try. But there’s a mod shortage? Inactive mods or just a lack of sign-ups. Because that’s sad. Also, have they ever piled up before.

Thanks to everyone who is quoted.

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
i’ve seen a lot of scambots, trying to link you to sketchy websites, to attempting to sell you live animals. what are they? I don’t know but they are an issue in my eyes.

Live animals?

Given they were using the Virgo symbol, I figured it was more lurid than that...

Lorphiiforme

Manta ray enthusiast
Live animals?

Given they were using the Virgo symbol, I figured it was more lurid than that...
Apparently they were selling African gray parrots. As someone who’s been on animal-buying websites (curious as what it looks like) and zoochat (a forum for zoo-people alike) I am very familiar with this kind of website. I wonder if the scam/spam of this african animal has been taken down by the combs? (Also voting on the poll would give fellow people a lot of information)

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
Apparently they were selling African gray parrots. As someone who’s been on animal-buying websites (curious as what it looks like) and zoochat (a forum for zoo-people alike) I am very familiar with this kind of website. I wonder if the scam/spam of this african animal has been taken down by the combs? (Also voting on the poll would give fellow people a lot of information)

Well, you seem to know about these things, so I'll trust you on that.

Still, I don't know why they'd use the Virgo symbol. I don't think "Virgo" when I hear of parrots.

Lorphiiforme

Manta ray enthusiast
Well, you seem to know about these things, so I'll trust you on that.

Still, I don't know why they'd use the Virgo symbol. I don't think "Virgo" when I hear of parrots.
I know about animals and sales kind of but not scammers as much as animals and sales. I just want spam/scam off this unrelated site. Also, what do you mean by Virgo or the symbol? Do you have their account?

Lorphiiforme

Manta ray enthusiast
*I found an account, called

fregrtyhtyjtrf.​

I’m only saying their name as an example. They post gibberish . They are the gibberish kind.
Then there’s

soydarirta​

This is the Fishy links kind. I looked up the website (DO NOT DO THIS, HIGH RISK PROBABLY) “safely” by looking up it without any of the pages I guess and nothing happened. Just some asian news post website I suppose.

I have no evidence to support my parrot claims but I do remember seeing them. Also FREGTTHYDIDJJ (mr. i smashed my keyboard 5 times a day) posted twice in the same sub forum. That’s all of this report for today. Ig they are weird.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Yep. They do try to circumvent. Exactly. I do the same as well. And to keep my eye open for any that may have slipped through the cracks.

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
I know about animals and sales kind of but not scammers as much as animals and sales. I just want spam/scam off this unrelated site. Also, what do you mean by Virgo or the symbol? Do you have their account?
In one of their spamming lines, they used it.

I recognize it from playing a web game that featured Zodiac symbols.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
You can use the ignore button, that way you won’t have to see them until the mods deal with them.

Lorphiiforme

Manta ray enthusiast
Surprised to see everyone up so late but sometimes I do that too! Anyways, it seems like from the second day of the poll that people see them a lot, regularly, and they have spam or fishy links. That seems normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. I‘d least expect account links/auctions of anything. Thank you all! Remember it’s still open for about 12 more days!

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I've never followed any of their links, I don't trust them and value my own security too much, nor am I curious to what it is they're trying to lure me to. I just report them when I see them, mods seem fairly quick in removing them after being reported.

Lorphiiforme

Manta ray enthusiast
sorry if I caused a bit of trouble, i don’t want you guys to click links, i just set up the poll because usually you can tell what they are. Please don’t click any links. They provide nothing good. I’m pretty sure seeing the post isn’t bad, just going to wherever they tell you to go is bad. Also these bots sometimes are making sentences? Like one was advertising skincare.

From now on I will not mention names or visit any sites of the scambots.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Spammers are a real pain... flooding the forums with a LOT of topics and their names are silly. They're easy to spot, but it's too much of a bother to report a lot of them though.

Lorphiiforme

Manta ray enthusiast
Spammers are a real pain... flooding the forums with a LOT of topics and their names are silly. They're easy to spot, but it's too much of a bother to report a lot of them though.
Yep. I def agree, I wouldn’t say ”Flooding” as I ignore them but they are most common in singles or trios.

Mirai

It's best to ignore them honestly. Most of the mods seem to check for them even when the spambots aren't reported, so they'll be dealt with eventually.

Also not to be mean or anything but it was obvious that you shouldn't follow their links because they might lead to harmful websites.