• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero - DLC Speculation & Discussion Thread

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
They take competitive battles seriously, yet don't fix the problem of "not bringing back your entire team for those battles"?

What is it going to be next Gen? Only 25% of the total Pokémon being available? In Gen 11, is it going to be 15% only?

Nobody here ever said "I hate that every Pokémon is available in a single game", and I don't think people have sympathy for GameFreak for not "taking the extra steps" to make it possible.

It's not that they don't care it's that the problem isn't fixable because of a constantly increasing number of Pokemon and finite time to work on the 3D models. The number of Pokemon has simply reached a point where it's impossible to include them all and the shift to 3D graphics, HD resolution, and open world game design has exacerbated the issue. Even if they do what everyone is screaming at them to do and increase the development time it still might not be enough for them to include everything. Now I do think they should have a bit more than they do at the start (can we get a dex with more than 400 Pokemon at the start please? How about shooting for 500 next gen?), but if you spent 3 years on the base game, another year isn't going to more than double the roster, that's simply not feasible. We're more likely to only get about 75% of the National Dex when all's said and done with the DLC.

MrJechgo

It's not that they don't care it's that the problem isn't fixable because of a constantly increasing number of Pokemon and finite time to work on the 3D models. The number of Pokemon has simply reached a point where it's impossible to include them all and the shift to 3D graphics, HD resolution, and open world game design has exacerbated the issue. Even if they do what everyone is screaming at them to do and increase the development time it still might not be enough for them to include everything. Now I do think they should have a bit more than they do at the start (can we get a dex with more than 400 Pokemon at the start please? How about shooting for 500 next gen?), but if you spent 3 years on the base game, another year isn't going to more than double the roster, that's simply not feasible. We're more likely to only get about 75% of the National Dex when all's said and done with the DLC.
Then GameFreak should make it happen.

Right now, several Pokémon can't receive new moves and abilities, because they cannot be transfered from HOME. At this point, what's the purpose of HOME if it's only to store your Pokémon. That's like placing money in an account you CANNOT use whenever you like.

Seriously, we're nearing 2023, so have Nintendo talk with GameFreak to see how to include every single Pokémon in the next games, maybe with limited box storages to force swapping, direct connectivity with HOME... or just a MUCH bigger game. Without every Pokémon, you can't have something like Gen 7's Battle Agency, because most trainers can't have their signature line-ups, and people have been asking for a suitable post-game for some times now. Pretty sure the Playstation 5 could get a Pokémon game with all 1,000+ critters.

If sport games can have all players, so can Pokémon with extra work.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Right now, several Pokémon can't receive new moves and abilities, because they cannot be transfered from HOME. At this point, what's the purpose of HOME if it's only to store your Pokémon. That's like placing money in an account you CANNOT use whenever you like.

Seriously, we're nearing 2023, so have Nintendo talk with GameFreak to see how to include every single Pokémon in the next games, maybe with limited box storages to force swapping, direct connectivity with HOME... or just a MUCH bigger game. Without every Pokémon, you can't have something like Gen 7's Battle Agency, because most trainers can't have their signature line-ups, and people have been asking for a suitable post-game for some times now. Pretty sure the Playstation 5 could get a Pokémon game with all 1,000+ critters.

No, I don't think the PS5, or any video game, could squeeze 1000+ characters in a game. How many video games do you see with 1000+ players? Especially ones where each of the characters have unique designs, unique animations, unique moves and abilities? It's just not feasible, especially not without a ridiculously long dev cycle (like, 5-8 years) that Pokemon can't afford. That's just too much work to be humanly possible in the 3-5 year range Pokemon should be aiming for. There is no "just make it happen" here, the expectation of including every Pokemon ever is just becoming less and less realistic over time with the total number of Pokemon increasing more and more.

MrJechgo

No, I don't think the PS5, or any video game, could squeeze 1000+ characters in a game. How many video games do you see with 1000+ players? Especially ones where each of the characters have unique designs, unique animations, unique moves and abilities? It's just not feasible, especially not without a ridiculously long dev cycle (like, 5-8 years) that Pokemon can't afford. That's just too much work to be humanly possible in the 3-5 year range Pokemon should be aiming for. There is no "just make it happen" here, the expectation of including every Pokemon ever is just becoming less and less realistic over time with the total number of Pokemon increasing more and more.
So Gen 7 (SM, USUM) can have 809 transferrable Pokémon on 3DS, but a console much stronger than the 3DS cannot?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So Gen 7 (SM, USUM) can have 809 transferrable Pokémon on 3DS, but a console much stronger than the 3DS cannot?

Well 809 is less than 890 or 100+ for one. But beyond that yes, because higher resolution models take much longer to work on. HD console development is notoriously slow for this reason. Microsoft and Sony had trouble getting games early on in the lifespan of the Xbox 360/PS3 for this reason, Nintendo had trouble getting games on the Wii U for this reason, and now Pokemon is adapting and they're having to cut content for this reason (instead of delaying their games). So yes, a console much stronger than the 3DS would have much less in the same amount of time because more work is going into the graphics and less work is going into the content.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
there anything in mind that you think they would do for DLC expansions? Aside ofc from the likely inevitable continuation of the Area Zero "arc".

Most likely expanding more into it.

I also noticed in the map too areas that has this black portion where it seems like it's something that needs feeling. Could see those being expansions, to be honest.

Could also see story focusing on the PC's graduation. Maybe that's what's going to open more customization options (aka get rid of the school uniform)

Pokemon Power

They take competitive battles seriously, yet don't fix the problem of "not bringing back your entire team for those battles"?

What is it going to be next Gen? Only 25% of the total Pokémon being available? In Gen 11, is it going to be 15% only?

Nobody here ever said "I hate that every Pokémon is available in a single game", and I don't think people have sympathy for GameFreak for not "taking the extra steps" to make it possible.

Well 809 is less than 890 or 100+ for one. But beyond that yes, because higher resolution models take much longer to work on. HD console development is notoriously slow for this reason. Microsoft and Sony had trouble getting games early on in the lifespan of the Xbox 360/PS3 for this reason, Nintendo had trouble getting games on the Wii U for this reason, and now Pokemon is adapting and they're having to cut content for this reason (instead of delaying their games). So yes, a console much stronger than the 3DS would have much less in the same amount of time because more work is going into the graphics and less work is going into the content.
The way I see it, the only way they're EVER gonna have another Pokemon game with every species thus far, is if they do another game along the lines of Pokemon Stadium and Battle Revolution. And I doubt that's on the top of their priority list.

ShadowForce720

The way I see it, the only way they're EVER gonna have another Pokemon game with every species thus far, is if they do another game along the lines of Pokemon Stadium and Battle Revolution. And I doubt that's on the top of their priority list.
Just pointing this out but those game weren’t made by Gamefreak, so if we do ever get a game similar to them it will be made by another company.

So could get another game along the lines of Pokémon Stadium and Battle Revolution if another company makes it.

dss_live

Water and Fairy-type master
Rest of Eevee's Evolutions. Would be nice if that DLC could focus solely on Eevee's Journey, along with 'legendary Eevee'.

I would love this. Just a journey with a lost eevee and at the end of journey'ing to find it its home we discover new eeveelutions :D (yes, i'm still sad they didn't keep adding more eeveelutions)

I do think the most likely will be an expansion to Area Zero, with the third legendary taking center stage. Some more paradox forms to hunt down. Maybe the third legendary awakening jumpstarts the time-machine and releases some new pardox forms into the area and we
need to go down to shut it down again, with some extra lore around terastalizing being revealed.

Personal hope is another version of the Raid dens that they added in the second dlc for SwSh, loved hunting legendaries in there and the den mechanic was really fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!

Okay, but think of other games.
Do new Monster Hunter titles have every monster from previous titles?
Does Persona 5 have every summonable demon from the entirety of the SMT series?

More importantly, there is a logistical problem with Pokemon. We already hit over 1000 species total, and that number will continue to climb. There is no sense in trying to make every Pokemon squeeze in to every game when you can limit the roster to a workable cast of creatures. I'm honestly surprised the 3DS didn't start the trend.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Going to ignore the natdex argument and just wonder if we'll get more paradox mons and not just Suicune and Virizion

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Going to ignore the natdex argument and just wonder if we'll get more paradox mons and not just Suicune and Virizion
Maybe we'll get more. Sword/Shield IoA gave us G. Slowpoke/G. Slowbro/Kubfu/Urshifu while CT gave us G. Slowking/Glastrier/Spectier/Calyrex/Regidrago/Regieleki. I think it's distribution will depend whether it's a single release or bipartite like Sword and Shield's.

Luthor

No, they spent 3 years working on the models for the 475ish Pokemon (Paldea Dex Pokemon + transfer Pokemon) we got in the main game. They probably have not been working on the DLC Pokemon models for that long, probably more like 1, maybe 2 if we're lucky. There's just not enough time to double the number of Pokemon in the game so it's probably more along the lines of one and a half times the number of Pokemon, as was the case in SwSh.

Given they already have the models for many of the transfer Pokemon many of which are regional forms i could see them have to include someone in-game to trade the regional forms for the DLC similar to the the one the the Galar DLC.

MrJechgo

Okay, but think of other games.
Do new Monster Hunter titles have every monster from previous titles?
Does Persona 5 have every summonable demon from the entirety of the SMT series?
The difference is that you're not collecting them. You're not collecting armor parts or Persona, unlike Pokémon.

Imagine a Yu-Gi-Oh! or Magic the Gathering game without 75% of its library...
More importantly, there is a logistical problem with Pokemon. We already hit over 1000 species total, and that number will continue to climb. There is no sense in trying to make every Pokemon squeeze in to every game when you can limit the roster to a workable cast of creatures. I'm honestly surprised the 3DS didn't start the trend.
The 3DS proved that they could have 800+ Pokémon. All they need to figure out how to manage transfered Pokémon, maybe with a special box that has a limited storage (like 30) from HOME, and the game could just cycle through a small number of Pokémon at once, loading an dunloading them for each session.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The difference is that you're not collecting them. You're not collecting armor parts or Persona, unlike Pokémon.
I'm just going to guess that you never played the Persona series.

MrJechgo

I'm just going to guess that you never played the Persona series.
I meant that you're not transfering Personas from one game to the next. They wipe the slate clean in every iteration. Yes, there are returning Personas, but you're not pushed to use your previous loadout in P4 into P5.

Pokémon? Sucks to be you if you have a shiny Leavanny...

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Indeed, whatever this new thing is, we know
Paradox things aren’t from past or future but ideas printed like a 3D printer! In other words, entities that shouldn’t exist. What a weird thing for a Pokemon to do!
And assuming this is the case, it leads to the question of just where AI Sada/Turo went to at the end of the game.

Pokemon Power

I meant that you're not transfering Personas from one game to the next. They wipe the slate clean in every iteration. Yes, there are returning Personas, but you're not pushed to use your previous loadout in P4 into P5.

Pokémon? Sucks to be you if you have a shiny Leavanny...
You're dragging this topic. Might I suggest making your own thread to talk about it?

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Indeed, whatever this new thing is, we know
Paradox things aren’t from past or future but ideas printed like a 3D printer! In other words, entities that shouldn’t exist. What a weird thing for a Pokemon to do!
The third legendary seems to be Pokemon's version of Azathoth, more Lovecraftian pokemon is welcomed by me