• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero - DLC Speculation & Discussion Thread

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I mean they could easily make a Canary Islands, Balearic Islands (really hoping for this one), or Azores location for non Area Zero related DLC
well not an issue, problem is what to do there. What good will newly added locations via DLC be if we don't have some sort of plot/storyline there.

Baggie_Saiyan

As long we get Lapras & Ninetales I am game for whatever they have planned!

I also hope DLC will finally unlock more new clothes too.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Im curious if they'll have the DLC be able to allow you to capture previous Legendaries through some way, like the Crown Tundra did :d

Probably. It's pretty much been a series tradition since ORAS for every third version/DLC/remake to let you catch every legendary that exists in the game (LGPE and BDSP are somewhat exceptions to that, but only really because they exclude later gen Pokemon from the games altogether, every legendary that existed at the time each original game was made exists in those remakes and there's no side mode for catching every legendary in LGPE because there are no past gen legendaries to speak of with it being a 1st gen remake).

well not an issue, problem is what to do there. What good will newly added locations via DLC be if we don't have some sort of plot/storyline there.

My guess is they'll treat the DLC like Area Zero, there's going to be a new area with a new storyline, and maybe an extra set of quests to complete to progress the story (The Way Home doesn't quite have badges, but you could sort of count unlocking the research stations as an equivalent "quest" to Gyms, Titans, and Star Bases even if the research stations were much more abbreviated and closer together. Hopefully said quests are more like the former than the latter but that depends on how big the new maps are). As for whether or not they'll be side stories like IoA/CT, it seems like at least one will tie into The Way Home given that the Scarlet/Violet Book hints at further content in Area Zero, but it might not be a direct followup to that plotline and might not tie in until they get deeper into the lore. So.... could be yes or no (or both) depending on how you'd take that.

ShadowForce720

Just pointing this out because some people seem to be misunderstanding when people are talking about Southern Kalos.

Basically when people are saying they think we will visit Southern Kalos in the DLC they are not saying that will visit the Kalos region that we saw in X&Y.

What they are saying is that we would be visiting the area that is based on Southern France that we never visited in X&Y.

If you look at part that is clouded that on the Paldea map towards the Northwest part of the Region that is basically southern France.

That is the part that people are saying that we will visit when they are talking about Southern Kalos(whether it will be called that or not).

And no it’s not crazy speculation to think that we will be visiting that area that is currently covered by fog as it’s in pretty much the same situation that the Crown Thundra is in.

Also no it would not have to include Mega Evolution in the DLC as we wouldn’t be revisiting any part of the Kalos region we saw in X&Y.

Luthor

Im curious if they'll have the DLC be able to allow you to capture previous Legendaries through some way, like the Crown Tundra did :d

I suspect they probably will have some method available to find them. Given they even did that in BDSP I'd be surprised if they didn't here.

Red and Blue

More Paldean variants in the DLC area would be nice. I'd love it if they gave Milktank three different regional forms to match Tauros.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Honestly, what I want out of the DLC is more returning starters. Not just the Sinnoh ones (who sound the most likely right now) but the rest of the Unova and Alola sets as well as the Hoenn gang.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Seems likely for the Unova starters to return, it's odd how they're the only starters not yet on the Switch and I don't think we will get BW remakes thaaat fast after BDSP

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Also minor thing I want: can they please add a freaking search function to the Pokedex? Does Game Freak seriously expect us to manually sift through 400 entries to find the Pokemon we want?

Seems likely for the Unova starters to return, it's odd how they're the only starters not yet on the Switch and I don't think we will get BW remakes thaaat fast after BDSP

Ehh, IDK. DP and BW were both on the DS, so it would make some sense for DP and BW remakes to both be on the Switch. If they release them in 2024 after the assumed DLC in 2023 then that might give them enough distance from BDSP for them to be able to market BW remakes. Not saying that this will happen for sure, but it's plausible.

As for the DLC, there's another possibility for starters with the Kalos starters. The Kalos starters are transferrable, but they haven't actually been distributed since USUM. So you'd only be able to transfer them if you have a 3DS, a copy of XY or USUM, and an active Home subscription, and there may not be a lot of kids out there that have them so it would be prudent to redistribute them in the DLC for kids that just started playing Pokemon in the last few years and have only experienced the Switch games. They could potentially add them to the DLC dex and distribute them similar to what they did with Bulbasaur and Squirtle in SwSh.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Speaking of redistributing old Pokemon, there's still a handful of Pokemon that haven't been made available on ANY Switch game that are still not in SV from Gens 5-7. Some of the Gen 5 Pokemon can be saved for BW remakes if they're doing that in 2024, but the Gen 6 and 7 Pokemon HAVE to be made available. Here's who we have left:

Kalos starters (as stated above, they're available in SV through transfer, but they're only actually catchable in XY and USUM)
Furfrou
Pikipek/Trumbeak/Toucannon
Minior

And in Gen 5 we have:
Unova starters except Oshawott
Patrat/Watchog
monkeys
Blitzle/Zebstrika
Sewaddle/Swadloon/Leavanny
Ducklett/Swanna

There's not a lot of these left so it should be very easy for Game Freak to include them.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
What hurts then so much to mention Kalos region in these games , how is visiting a part of other region a bad thing? It makes the Pokemon world more interesting and with more lore instead of having every region so self contained
They had the perfect opportunity here since the countries which these regions r based off are physically connected irl
But they won’t do that
They won’t do that. Scarlet and Violet are the story of Paldea. X and Y are the story of Kalos. I completely understand wanting to have each entry of the series to tell the story of only one region. And for me that is totally fine. I can pick up any of my past games and play those to get the story of other regions. Let’s keep Scarlet and Violet about Paldea only. Kalos can stay with X and Y, whatever remake they create or legends-style game if they go that way.

Pokemon Power

Ehh, IDK. DP and BW were both on the DS, so it would make some sense for DP and BW remakes to both be on the Switch. If they release them in 2024 after the assumed DLC in 2023 then that might give them enough distance from BDSP for them to be able to market BW remakes. Not saying that this will happen for sure, but it's plausible.
There's also the matter of potential new versions of the Johto games. They probably wanna release those first, given how they made Let's Go, Pikachu and Eevee in between the releases of OR/AS and BD/SP.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
There's also the matter of potential new versions of the Johto games. They probably wanna release those first, given how they made Let's Go, Pikachu and Eevee in between the releases of OR/AS and BD/SP.

I'm not as sure about that, there's a couple of factors making Johto games less likely, mainly dealing with the circumstances on the Switch. LGPE was early on in the Switch's lifespan when they were trying to build their userbase, and since they were hot off the heels of Go they used Kanto as a way to try and attract Go fans to the Switch. Since we're later in the Switch's lifespan and they've shifted their design philosophy away from Go, there's less incentive to have a Let's Go Johto or anything similar.

Additionally, there's something else potentially looming in the next year or two that could affect Johto remakes: the possibility of GB games being added to NSO. This would mean that they could start putting RBY and GSC on NSO and they would have no need to remake them. So they could potentially have both Johto AND Unova on the Switch in the next few years if they have GSC through NSO and Unova remakes in 2024. Then the SV DLC would be free to focus on the Kalos starters.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Even if Nintendo adds Game Boy to Nintendo Switch Online, I wouldn’t completely write off getting some sort of updated Johto experience. I feel like GF has dropped several hints that something Johto is coming between the Paradox form of Suicune that will be coming in the potential DLC and the anime character who is focused on meeting/capturing Celebi in the same way that Goh was after Mew. Maybe we’ll get a Legends: Celebi game to launch alongside a potential GSC release on NSO?

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Colosseum remake because it has a lot of Johto focus

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Also minor thing I want: can they please add a freaking search function to the Pokedex? Does Game Freak seriously expect us to manually sift through 400 entries to find the Pokemon we want?
An option to use multiple potions etc in the restore health would be nice since I remember I wanted to use all the potions I gathered later in the game and I needed to manually click one after another which was quite strange tbh, especially since you can use multiple Rare candies, exp candies and vitamins at once

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Idk I feel like this isn't the first time we've gotten "hints" for what's coming next just for it not to be the next game.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Even if Nintendo adds Game Boy to Nintendo Switch Online, I wouldn’t completely write off getting some sort of updated Johto experience. I feel like GF has dropped several hints that something Johto is coming between the Paradox form of Suicune that will be coming in the potential DLC and the anime character who is focused on meeting/capturing Celebi in the same way that Goh was after Mew. Maybe we’ll get a Legends: Celebi game to launch alongside a potential GSC release on NSO?

We get those "hints" all of the time. The SwSh DLC had two new Regis and Galarian forms of the Bird trio, and LA had a new member of the Kamis. Were those hints towards new Hoenn, Kanto, or Unova games coming? Nope (and no, Regieleki/Regidrago weren't a hint towards Sinnoh either since those two weren't in BDSP or LA). Similarly, the anime includes legendaries whenever they want. I mean, Mallow had a freaking Shaymin in SM that was not promoting Sinnoh remakes. Those aren't necessarily hints towards Johto games coming. The Paradox forms coming in the DLC likely having nothing to do with the promotion of upcoming Johto and Unova games. They probably just felt those were the most suitable legendaries to base new Paradox forms around.

Luthor

Maybe third legendary is like this! Doesn’t look like it has a biological body but it does!

(Link is supposed to link to Ramiel from NGE)

Given how weird they were willing to allow Eternatus to be and that was a major legendary as well I suspect this legendary will be very weird when we can see it clearly.