• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scarlet/Violet VS Legends: Arceus. What and where did it turn out better, what should be in Gen 10?

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
That must be why they've sold just under 11 million copies in a week...
Seriously? Ur going to argue about the game performance now? The games sold cuz they have good content and Pokemon fans are veryyyyyy loyal to this franchie
This doesn’t clear the games from having terrible performance issues .
Feel like talking to a wall

Copley Hill Gym

I think a lot is being made of the game's performance though, when it's realistically not as bad as, for example, Sonic 06.

There's different levels here, the gameplay and content is phenomenal tbph.

Xuxuba

That must be why they've sold just under 11 million copies in a week...
But we have to keep in mind that just because something sold well doesn't mean it's entirely polished.

There are plenty of companies that know how to do great in sales regardless of that (it's the reason why informecials exist lol). On top of that, pokémon is the most lucrative franchise in the world, any main series entree is gonna sell nicely, especially considering how well the Switch is performing and how this game was heavily advertised as the series' first open-world adventure (not to mention it's the introduction of a new generation and those pretty much always sell the most).

That said, i completely understand if some people love this game and prefer the features present in it. But a game of this caliber should not have as many instances of people crashing, being barely able to see anything due to graphical glitches, having OHKO moves always landing on online battles, amongst several other serious issues. I think that is something we can all agree with.

Last edited:

Copley Hill Gym

I don't disagree: but I do think the core of the game's design and its overall makeup are excellent, which makes the graphical issues all the more frustrating.

Luthor

For me I've liked both. While I find legends Arceus a better game its a different sort of Pokemon game (much more action) so I don't really directly compare. Both had excellent designs and I'm less worried about the bugs as I'm sure they will sort it out it time annoying as they can be atm. My biggest concern is the loss of certain features from previous games such as the GTS (from gens 5-7), the battle tower (or similar facility) and the VS seeker. Hopefully they fix them in DLC but I'm not that optimistic.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I prefer Pokemon Violet over Legends Arceus.

Don't get me wrong, it it is good but not without flaws...

-Many random difficulty spikes including Mai's Munchlax early on.
-Spiritomb Wisps not showing up
-The noble bosses I still got nightmares about Arcanine stomp-locking me in that 1 spot
-Volo's pokemon battle and 2 Giratina phases
-Jet/Wing Balls not working when trying to catch flying pokemon or the Unown letters. Especially the one not working on the Unown the Arcanine volcano.
-Heatran cheating with the fire shield, You'll need to pick up mud balls and toss them at Heatran in a tiny cave. If you don't own any mud balls before the fight then it is a lot worse

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I don't disagree: but I do think the core of the game's design and its overall makeup are excellent, which makes the graphical issues all the more frustrating.
The core of the games design and content are wonderful.
I fully agree with you
The problem is that, in my opinion, the un deniable lags and low frame rates (not even talking about graphical issues and glitches) prevent it from be considered as good games. Since for me quality of the games is measures by both performance and content.
Lags and low framerates just dont let me fully enjoy the game as should be

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
The core of the games design and content are wonderful.
I fully agree with you
The problem is that, in my opinion, the undeniable lags and low frame rates (not even talking about graphical issues and glitches) prevent it from be considered as good games. Since for me quality of the games is measures by both performance and content.
Lags and low framerates just don't let me fully enjoy the game as should be
Talking about glitches i've seen pokeballs in Violet hover in midair many times while catching flying pokemon. So funny XD

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think there's definite positives and negatives for both sides and they're going to incorporate elements of both into 10th gen. It's quite common that they remove a feature and then bring it back shortly later, and right now the games seem to be building on each other (heck, LGPE was incredibly controversial at its release and we're still seeing its legacy on the gameplay with the positives added onto the main gameplay and polished to make them more likeable). LA is much more action oriented which makes the gameplay feel more realistic, but SV opens things up even more. I think by now Game Freak probably knows that LA's action based gameplay, being able to catch Pokemon and be attacked in the overworld, is universally liked so similarly they'll just incorporate that into 10th gen while building on what SV did. I think 10th gen might look something like this:

• Fully open world like SV. Hopefully with a level scaling mechanic added to make it easier to complete content in any order you want.
  • Wild Pokemon can attack you like LA.
  • Ability to throw items and Poke Balls like LA and to trigger Let's Go mode if you throw a Poke Ball with your Pokemon in it at something other than a Pokemon. In addition to collecting items and Auto Battling, Pokemon can now interact with obstacles in Let's Go mode, such as breaking rocks, ramming trees, etc.).
  • Return of ELs.
  • Return of the Request system from LA.
  • Keep SV's three stories system, possibly with something similar to Nobles taking the place of Titans.
  • Ability to craft regular items, not just TMs, like in LA.

EDIT: Also this is a minor thing, but it has a major impact: I don't like that SV doesn't play the shiny jingle in the overworld like LA did. Makes it very easy to not even notice when a shiny has spawned in the overworld if you're wandering around exploring, finding shinies becomes a game of find the needle in the haystack without it. Whereas with LA, if I was just wandering around the overworld, the shiny jingle would catch my attention and let me know to stop and look for it instead of totally blowing by it.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Just had a hard crash while grinding for an evolution item... Yeah, this makes me even more sure of my choice -_-
I had one of those sudden crashes too but thankfully it was after I've saved.

Today, I had to hard reset because screen was stuck in the raid screen

Those things are way too bugged.
EDIT: Also this is a minor thing, but it has a major impact: I don't like that SV doesn't play the shiny jingle in the overworld like LA did. Makes it very easy to not even notice when a shiny has spawned in the overworld if you're wandering around exploring, finding shinies becomes a game of find the needle in the haystack without it. Whereas with LA, if I was just wandering around the overworld, the shiny jingle would catch my attention and let me know to stop and look for it instead of totally blowing by it.
This.

I got a female Lechonk and its evolution purely because I noticed the different colour while exploring.

Meanwhile on Arceus, I heard the jingle even while flying with Braviary way above the place where it had spawn

Baggie_Saiyan

I think there's definite positives and negatives for both sides and they're going to incorporate elements of both into 10th gen. It's quite common that they remove a feature and then bring it back shortly later, and right now the games seem to be building on each other (heck, LGPE was incredibly controversial at its release and we're still seeing its legacy on the gameplay with the positives added onto the main gameplay and polished to make them more likeable). LA is much more action oriented which makes the gameplay feel more realistic, but SV opens things up even more. I think by now Game Freak probably knows that LA's action based gameplay, being able to catch Pokemon and be attacked in the overworld, is universally liked so similarly they'll just incorporate that into 10th gen while building on what SV did. I think 10th gen might look something like this:

• Fully open world like SV. Hopefully with a level scaling mechanic added to make it easier to complete content in any order you want.
  • Wild Pokemon can attack you like LA.
  • Ability to throw items and Poke Balls like LA and to trigger Let's Go mode if you throw a Poke Ball with your Pokemon in it at something other than a Pokemon. In addition to collecting items and Auto Battling, Pokemon can now interact with obstacles in Let's Go mode, such as breaking rocks, ramming trees, etc.).
  • Return of ELs.
  • Return of the Request system from LA.
  • Keep SV's three stories system, possibly with something similar to Nobles taking the place of Titans.
  • Ability to craft regular items, not just TMs, like in LA.

I saw someone posit a theory that it was intentionally done due to how many shinies people caught in PLA and compromised this game, it would also explain why a lot of the new Mons had subtle underwhelming shinies this gen too

I guess anytime we're roaming around we have to just put auto battles on, which I keep forgetting too lol

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I saw someone posit a theory that it was intentionally done due to how many shinies people caught in PLA and compromised this game, it would also explain why a lot of the new Mons had subtle underwhelming shinies this gen too

Wut. No, no, no, if they intentionally did that that's a huge step back. Real talk, is there any reason for shinies to be as stupidly rare as they are? To be so rare that you could never see one in your life? It's all just felt like artificial scarcity and their rarity in LA feels more appropriate, it's rare enough that you have to actively search for them but not so rare that you could search for days, weeks, even months and come up empty.

Also, they kept Mass Outbreaks in which is by far the bigger factor in people finding tons of shinies in LA (besides just having Pokemon in the overworld display their shiny forms, which is simply a consequence of the shift towards open world gameplay). If they wanted to compromise, that's what should've been cut.

I guess anytime we're roaming around we have to just put auto battles on, which I keep forgetting too lol

Worse than that. You can't use Koraidon/Miraidon to roam either because it's far too easy to not even notice a shiny when you're riding on them. And this is the problem. It massively slows the game down. I don't want to have to choose between roaming the overworld at my own pace and catching every shiny that randomly spawns in the overworld.

Baggie_Saiyan

Wut. No, no, no, if they intentionally did that that's a huge step back. Real talk, is there any reason for shinies to be as stupidly rare as they are? To be so rare that you could never see one in your life? It's all just felt like artificial scarcity and their rarity in LA feels more appropriate, it's rare enough that you have to actively search for them but not so rare that you could search for days, weeks, even months and come up empty.

Also, they kept Mass Outbreaks in which is by far the bigger factor in people finding tons of shinies in LA (besides just having Pokemon in the overworld display their shiny forms, which is simply a consequence of the shift towards open world gameplay). If they wanted to compromise, that's what should've been cut.

Worse than that. You can't use Koraidon/Miraidon to roam either because it's far too easy to not even notice a shiny when you're riding on them. And this is the problem. It massively slows the game down. I don't want to have to choose between roaming the overworld at my own pace and catching every shiny that randomly spawns in the overworld.
As much I tend to defend Gamefreak they do make some bizarre decisions sometimes (like why make the regional fish psychic when they brought Bruxish back stuff like that that makes my head scratch, or bring Gen 8 regional fish but not Cramorant)

The other problem is they finally gave us proper model sizes but as a result shinies for smaller Mons are even harder to spot.

I got a shiny shinx yesterday just because I saw something yellow when gliding if shinx's shiny was say all black I probably wouldn't have noticed

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I got a shiny shinx yesterday

Wow, that's lucky.

Only shinies I ran into were Lechonk and its evo. Both female. And only because I've noticed the different colour.

Out of curiosity, was your shiny Shinx female? Those are the ones I tend to go for at least once a gen lol

Baggie_Saiyan

Wow, that's lucky.

Only shinies I ran into were Lechonk and its evo. Both female. And only because I've noticed the different colour.

Out of curiosity, was your shiny Shinx female? Those are the ones I tend to go for at least once a gen lol
I think it was but it had rivalry tbh I have so many Shiny Shinx now it doesn't matter for me lol

But what was lucky I was doing a Wattrel outbreak and accidentally ran into the shiny didn't even notice before. So lucky!