• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scary/creepy/weird stuff in Pokémon (games, anime, manga etc.)

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Wasn't that the story of the banned Porygon episode? You know, the one that gave 700 kids in Japan seizures?

It was during the episode you mentioned, Team Rocket fired a missile in cyber space when Pikachu shot a thunder bolt to blow the missiles up. Then came the flashing lights, many kids that day... had to go to a hospital and since Pikachu was the mascot, he got off Scott Free while Porygon was never seen again! His evolution's never debut in the anime outside of movie cameos.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think it was the sound of him approaching the water's edge and Surfing. Him killing himself wouldn't have made much sense.
He doesn't have a Pokemon that knows Surf or Waterfall, so he could only get out by jumping.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
It was during the episode you mentioned, Team Rocket fired a missile in cyber space when Pikachu shot a thunder bolt to blow the missiles up. Then came the flashing lights, many kids that day... had to go to a hospital and since Pikachu was the mascot, he got off Scott Free while Porygon was never seen again! His evolution's never debut in the anime outside of movie cameos.

That's kind of unfair to Porygon. He got blamed for something Pikachu did, so going by that logic, Pikachu and all its evolutions should be banned. :p

He doesn't have a Pokemon that knows Surf or Waterfall, so he could only get out by jumping.

If Giovanni did jump, how would he have been able to swim away? He'd have broken a leg, at best. o_O

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedJirachi said:

Well that makes more sense than the theory of him jumping to his death at least, although it is odd how we normally don't hear sound effects when NPCs leave an area other than the door exiting sound effect in some games, yet Sakaki had that unique splashing sound. The mystery deepens.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
That's kind of unfair to Porygon. He got blamed for something Pikachu did, so going by that logic, Pikachu and all its evolutions should be banned. :p
They likely didn't want the mascot to suffer as a result of the episode so they decided to focus the blame on Porygon. It would have been quite hilarious if Pikachu got banned.

I found Spiritomb scary at first but I eventually got used to its looks. It was just what its face looks like.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I found Spiritomb scary at first but I eventually got used to its looks. It was just what its face looks like.

What I find creepier about Spiritomb is the fact that it was 'chained' to a rock as a punishment for something it did 500 or so years ago, kind of like that man in Greek mythology (forgot his name) who was also chained to a rock as punishments for insulting a god and had his innards pecked out by an eagle. The number 108 also comes into Spiritomb's lore a lot; it's made of 108 spirits, it's number 108 in the Sinnoh Dex, and it weighs 108 pounds.

(If they ever make a Pokémon region based on Greece, they could use some of the creatures from Greek mythology like Medusa and the Gorgons for Pokémon.)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
What I find creepier about Spiritomb is the fact that it was 'chained' to a rock as a punishment for something it did 500 or so years ago, kind of like that man in Greek mythology (forgot his name) who was also chained to a rock as punishments for insulting a god and had his innards pecked out by an eagle. The number 108 also comes into Spiritomb's lore a lot; it's made of 108 spirits, it's number 108 in the Sinnoh Dex, and it weighs 108 pounds.
I think it was intended that it would have the number 108 strongly associated with it, especially with its Sinnoh Dex number and its weight, which I think it weighs 108 kilograms instead. I kinda wish it was specified more what it did 500 years ago that resulted in the spirits being bound to the Odd Keystone.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I think it was intended that it would have the number 108 strongly associated with it, especially with its Sinnoh Dex number and its weight, which I think it weighs 108 kilograms instead. I kinda wish it was specified more what it did 500 years ago that resulted in the spirits being bound to the Odd Keystone.

I read somewhere that Spiritomb has some basis in Buddhist theology, which is where the 108 spirits thing comes into play. It's something to do with reaching Nirvana.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I read somewhere that Spiritomb has some basis in Buddhist theology, which is where the 108 spirits thing comes into play. It's something to do with reaching Nirvana.
That's cool to hear. I heard it's also associated with a tale to do with the 108 demons in a Chinese novel. That would definitely sound more scary than the Nirvana one.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
There's something very morose in the room you have to go through to rescue the legendary beasts. They talk about what they did was horrible, but it never goes into detail. It still give some ugly vibes on what exactly they did to get the Red Chain that left the NPCs there with such shame

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
There's something very morose in the room you have to go through to rescue the legendary beasts. They talk about what they did was horrible, but it never goes into detail. It still give some ugly vibes on what exactly they did to get the Red Chain that left the NPCs there with such shame
I believe the Red Chain was extracted from the jewels of the Lake Trio and were used to control Dialga and Palkia so that Cyrus could achieve his goal of creating his new world. The creepy part of it was seeing the captured Lake Trio suffer.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I believe the Red Chain was extracted from the jewels of the Lake Trio and were used to control Dialga and Palkia so that Cyrus could achieve his goal of creating his new world. The creepy part of it was seeing the captured Lake Trio suffer.
The jewels were apart of the lake trio, mostly their foreheads. It is like having your ear or finger cut off...

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The jewels were apart of the lake trio, mostly their foreheads. It is like having your ear or finger cut off...
That's what I pretty much meant. But I do think they had to cut some part of the jewels off their forehead off to do so.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedJirachi said:

I thought that the Ginga-dan scientists extracted the jewels off the Lake Guardian's heads to create the Red Chain, which is pretty messed up if true. The Rocket-dan was crueler than the Ginga-dan overall, though.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I thought that the Ginga-dan scientists extracted the jewels off the Lake Guardian's heads to create the Red Chain, which is pretty messed up if true. The Rocket-dan was crueler than the Ginga-dan overall, though.

In terms of cruelty, I'd say Team Rocket and Team Galactic are as bad as each other. Team Plasma (B2/W2 incarnation) also comes pretty close.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In terms of cruelty, I'd say Team Rocket and Team Galactic are as bad as each other. Team Plasma (B2/W2 incarnation) also comes pretty close.
I personally think Team Galactic compares more with Team Flare as their goals involve an elimination of the human race. Team Rocket’s goals focus more on the exploitation of Pokémon for profit.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I personally think Team Galactic compares more with Team Flare as their goals involve an elimination of the human race. Team Rocket’s goals focus more on the exploitation of Pokémon for profit.

No, no. Team Galactic's goals isn't even killing anyone. Cyrus's end goal is to recreate a perfect world, one without spirit, humanity would still be alive, just without emotions, free will... things that make a human... human. With him as God of the universe the rest of Team Galactic, they are not in the know of this.

Team Flare's goal was flat out genocide.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
No, no. Team Galactic's goals isn't even killing anyone. Cyrus's end goal is to recreate a perfect world, one without spirit, humanity would still be alive, just without emotions, free will... things that make a human... human. With him as God of the universe the rest of Team Galactic, they are not in the know of this.

Team Flare's goal was flat out genocide.
At least my thoughts lie in them in creating an idealised world as their goals. But even so it has the potential to kill anyone due to the unforeseen powers of the Legendary Pokémon and possibly disrupt their goals.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The fact that Team Flare's goals amounted to genocide are pretty disturbing in itself. And unlike Galactic the grunts know exactly what's happening

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The fact that Team Flare's goals amounted to genocide are pretty disturbing in itself. And unlike Galactic the grunts know exactly what's happening
Even the Commanders of Team Galactic don’t know Cyrus’s true motive, considering that a Commander would be high-ranked in Team Galactic. For example, Saturn thinks Team Galactic’s goal is to find new forms of energy.