• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scary/creepy/weird stuff in Pokémon (games, anime, manga etc.)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I thought the way Giratina "bleeds" (or drips something) when it comes out of the portal in Platinum was pretty creepy and metal

It's probably just water, but it could be dark matter (?) leaking out.

I think there've been a few times blood has been shown in the Pokémon anime, though not in a gory horror way. Misty got scratched by some thorns while she was crawling through a bush in one episode, and bleeding cuts are visible on her skin. In another episode, a Farfetch'd gets slapped across the face with its leek stick, and what looks like bleeding gashes appears on its face.

Then I wonder why she appeared at Mt Pyre in ORAS. Perhaps there she would have a connection to the dead there. But anyway it's still possible she's trying to haunt the workplace she possibly used to work in at Lumiose City.

@Captain Jigglypuff did say that the events of OR/AS happen before the events of X/Y. So maybe she was visiting Hoenn, but something horrible and deadly happened on her way back to Kalos (like a plane crash) and now she's cursed to roam Lumiose as a ghost forever.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
@Captain Jigglypuff did say that the events of OR/AS happen before the events of X/Y. So maybe she was visiting Hoenn, but something horrible and deadly happened on her way back to Kalos (like a plane crash) and now she's cursed to roam Lumiose as a ghost forever.
Or maybe she was working abroad or something. But I still wonder who ‘the one’ is. Maybe it’s her killer or something like that. It’s just so weird to not know who ‘the one’ is so at least it’ll provide context to her story.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
The fact that a Cubone was outright killed by Team Rocket at Lavender Town, which is already a scary place in itself with the Pokémon graveyard, its freaky music and the countless Creepypastas written about it. And the Marowak ghost in the tower telling you to "Get out... Get out..." while your Pokémon cower in terror.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The fact that a Cubone was outright killed by Team Rocket at Lavender Town, which is already a scary place in itself with the Pokémon graveyard, its freaky music and the countless Creepypastas written about it. And the Marowak ghost in the tower telling you to "Get out... Get out..." while your Pokémon cower in terror.
I remember it was a Marowak that was killed. But still what it said was scary though. I don’t remember where that Cubone ended up in the games but it’s still weird Cubone can be found at the Pokémon Tower.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I remember it was a Marowak that was killed. But still what it said was scary though. I don’t remember where that Cubone ended up in the games but it’s still weird Cubone can be found at the Pokémon Tower.

Oh yes, I was getting confused. So it was the Marowak mother who was killed and thus appears as a ghost in the tower? And the Cubone is an orphan?

(This is probably why Alolan Marowak is Fire/Ghost.)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Oh yes, I was getting confused. So it was the Marowak mother who was killed and thus appears as a ghost in the tower? And the Cubone is an orphan?

(This is probably why Alolan Marowak is Fire/Ghost.)
Yeah I definitely remember that it was a Marowak that was killed and her ghost was blocking the top floor of the tower. After having a look around, I found out that she was protecting a Cubone like what she did in Origins and Team Rocket was harvesting Cubone skulls.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yeah I definitely remember that it was a Marowak that was killed and her ghost was blocking the top floor of the tower. After having a look around, I found out that she was protecting a Cubone like what she did in Origins and Team Rocket was harvesting Cubone skulls.

Doesn't Origins follow the story of the Gen 1 games? I watched it a few years back.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Doesn't Origins follow the story of the Gen 1 games? I watched it a few years back.
Yeah, exactly. I just remember that version more than the game version of the plot. But still, because they were only doing it to harvest Cubone skulls, it just sounds scary because it's that one time we got exposed to Pokémon having their body parts harvested for the black market.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yeah, exactly. I just remember that version more than the game version of the plot. But still, because they were only doing it to harvest Cubone skulls, it just sounds scary because it's that one time we got exposed to Pokémon having their body parts harvested for the black market.

I think Gen 1 was the darkest generation, prior to Gen 5's plot touching on animal/Pokémon cruelty and rights. I mean... for some strange reason, almost everyone seemed to be carrying whips. Even Sabrina. o_O

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I think Gen 1 was the darkest generation, prior to Gen 5's plot touching on animal/Pokémon cruelty and rights. I mean... for some strange reason, almost everyone seemed to be carrying whips. Even Sabrina. o_O
Yeah I remember the CoolTrainers had them too as well as the Team Rocket grunts. And we've got the Cue Balls and Tamers too. Thinking about them, they likely would have trained tough Pokémon or were just cruel, which I think only applied to the Team Rocket grunts.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yeah I remember the CoolTrainers had them too as well as the Team Rocket grunts. And we've got the Cue Balls and Tamers too. Thinking about them, they likely would have trained tough Pokémon or were just cruel, which I think only applied to the Team Rocket grunts.

And gambling was a thing. For kids?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
And gambling was a thing. For kids?
Yeah, it's been a thing in Pokémon since Gen 1 until Gen 4 when the slots were completely replaced in Europe (including the UK) in Platinum and were replaced with Voltorb Flip in HeartGold and SoulSilver in the US and Australia. Japan had the slots until the end of Gen 4. I think it's due to the stricter PEGI rating guidelines that were introduced back then for gambling. It's just weird you could just be there and no one bats an eye.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yeah, it's been a thing in Pokémon since Gen 1 until Gen 4 when the slots were completely replaced in Europe (including the UK) in Platinum and were replaced with Voltorb Flip in HeartGold and SoulSilver in the US and Australia. Japan had the slots until the end of Gen 4. I think it's due to the stricter PEGI rating guidelines that were introduced back then for gambling. It's just weird you could just be there and no one bats an eye.

Maybe they're more tolerant of gambling in Japan than in the rest of the world?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I just remember how odd that the Bikers/Roughnecks were originally called Cue Balls and Gamers were actually called Gamblers. The Cue Ball thing was really weird.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Maybe they're more tolerant of gambling in Japan than in the rest of the world?
Maybe it isn't regulated as heavily there compared to the rest of the world. But then there are laws there against gambling that prevents the players from earning money directly from the gambling machines within a parlour. There's a form of it called pachinko where the players can win balls to exchange for prizes within the parlour. The balls cannot be taken out of the parlour but the prizes can be exchanged for cash outside out the parlour. But they are starting to incorporate some sort of slot machine mechanism to them. That could explain why coins are obtained at Game Corners instead of the cash the player earns from defeating Trainers in the games.

Overall I think the biggest thing that makes it weird is due to the cultural differences in Japan and elsewhere, which was more specifically shaped by their gambling laws.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Captain Jigglypuff said:
I just remember how odd that the Bikers/Roughnecks were originally called Cue Balls and Gamers were actually called Gamblers. The Cue Ball thing was really weird.

I never liked the phrase "Cue Ball" for some of the Bikers, although it could've been worse I suppose; they could've been called "Skinheads" instead, which might've caused controversy.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Lusamine, at least in the original Sun and Moon. She's an abusive parent played straight until the end, and her neurotoxin high has some disturbing parallels to tales of parents addicted to drugs and how that affects the kids

Daizy

I call you honey
I always found Giovanni's splash sound effect at Tohjo Falls in HGSS kind of creepy since it sounded like he threw himself off a waterfall and committed suicide.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Lusamine, at least in the original Sun and Moon. She's an abusive parent played straight until the end, and her neurotoxin high has some disturbing parallels to tales of parents addicted to drugs and how that affects the kids

If my own mother was like Lusamine... :eek:

Ghetsis could also be considered an abusive (foster) parent as he used and abused N for his own twisted gains. I think someone already talked about them in a previous post on this thread.

I always found Giovanni's splash sound effect at Tohjo Falls in HGSS kind of creepy since it sounded like he threw himself off a waterfall and committed suicide.

If Giovanni did kill himself, why does he appear in US/UM? Okay, I kid. :p

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
And she went as far as to disowning her own children. That’s a lot more scary than I thought.