• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scary/creepy/weird stuff in Pokémon (games, anime, manga etc.)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
No... thankfully, but the list of otherwise cute/ friendly/ first stage pokemon gets even bigger than that.

This is nightmare fuel and a good example as to how low Cipher has sunk in the games canon. (Only Ghetsis has sunken as low.)

I kind of did something in a fanfiction as to what a third shadow pokemon game MIGHT be like (As well as continuing where S/M left off, a year after the end of that game.)

With the combination of the XD formula, a powerful psychic type like Mew and a particular alien substance known as Nihilego venom... I want to give readers nothing but nightmares

I am going to spoil what I written in that fanfiction. (It is my first one, there are a lot of grammer issues and chapter order that I learned how to correct since then.)

XD-002... aka Shadow Mew, ended up being the perfect example of absolute insanity. We all saw in US/UM, just what kind of traits Lusamine had at the base and what we saw in S/M with the most extreme, unfiltered version of her we gotten when she was high on the crap.

Imagine something that's mind is already broken and severed to where it's only objective is to hurt people, where it can only feel hatred and pain. Being cranked up ten fold without any mental filters, (All the artificial stuff Cipher would place in an XD shadow pokemon.) it is going to result in.... making us forget all about Lusamine. Even in her warped mind, there was a desire for love, how ever twisted it was by that point.
In a shadow pokemon, there is only one thing in its mind that the venom can warp.... a desire to destroy and a pokemon like Mew... would be more than capable of doing that.
I have a pretty messed up imagination when I want to be and this includes mixing two things that should never go together.
So you have a taste in psychological horror then. That’s definitely some creepy stuff you’ve gotten into and combining them would further amplify the effect, even possibly to the point one character would beat another to death. Pokémon doesn’t really get as scary as that but really I think the scariest ones would involve psychological abuse and consequential deaths from abuse.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
-So remember how in X and Y there was this building with the ghost girl? I entered in there randomly and got so scared when the music stopped. I was legitimately freaked out because I didn't expect it.

Lumiose City has some pretty happy-sounding music, then you go into this office building and suddenly... silence.

"No, you're not the one..."

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
So you have a taste in psychological horror then. That’s definitely some creepy stuff you’ve gotten into and combining them would further amplify the effect, even possibly to the point one character would beat another to death. Pokémon doesn’t really get as scary as that but really I think the scariest ones would involve psychological abuse and consequential deaths from abuse.

As well as sweet innocent creature becoming an unholy eldritch abomination of NOPE!

I gave a rather large list of XD's in that fanfic. From XD-004 or Shadow Solgaleo who is an important plot relevant shadow pokemon. (And showing some growth in Lillie when she is the one to snag it.. and SHE IS NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT.)

XD-005 or Shadow Nihilego who did little before being snagged, but brought an Ampharos Wes has to the verge of insanity/ death from a modified version of the neurotoxins. (Design to kill you faster as throw away Cipher scientist demonstrated when he merged with it.) As well as being the Nihilego who was milked for fudged up experiments done on Mew

Then XD-002 or Shadow Mew who, even though I kept the really horrible stuff as back story/ build up. I made him special even among them (He has transform.) I have him take on the from of everything Elio (P.C) Lillie, along the others dragged into that mess, had fought through out their lives in an attempt to kill them.

Pretty much this boss.

Boss_Delirium.png
Delirium from the Binding of Isaac Afterbirth +.
From Totem Wishiwashi who, what ANYONE who played S/M will agree on, was a pain in the butt, to more personal forms like Type: Shadow. (A shadow pokemon version of Silvally.) or an even warped version of Mother Beast Lusamine. That Mew knows enough about our heroes just by reading their memories and will strike at them on a personal level. A big bonus since it unleashed hell all over Alola and resulted in the background characters fighting back against a mind that is gone and a world that is undergoing a glitch. (When I said it seeks the destruction of all, I am not sugar coating it.)

Then Shadow Mew exploits a loophole at the moment of its defeat to break free from Ardos's control, brought Elio to heart breaking insanity. (Forcing just a small image of what the Mew had gone through along the feelings of what was done.) All in an attempt to end it all with a shadow explosion. (That would have wiped Alola off the face of the earth and that isn't even the scariest implication. Mew attempted suicide.)

That is when Lillie finished charging up the Master Ball and got an aim to use at the Mew to put an end to the insanity.

Elio ended up in a coma for a week and when he woke up... he was in tears and left with a SEVERE case of PTSD. (A lot for a twelve year old boy to go through.)

The rest of the Fanfic was Mew having all of that crap removed from his and an epilogue arc.

Shadow Mew's plot beats seem pretty familiar to another villain we know of. A character that had one mentally scarring effect happen to them followed by another that made it worse, when that character is met in story, he/ she was at the peak of insanity and was stopped at the last moment from carrying out the point of no return, someone ends up in a coma. (Instead of the villain this time.)
Then that villain gets taken to another region for treatment in hopes to salvage the soul.

For the rest of this series... Shadow Mew gets mentioned a lot and even reused a few times. (Second attack on Elio, a nightmare and as a way to compensate for NOT using an alternate Lusamine in the RR arc by using a Mew from another reality if he was able to go through with blowing himself up "They are rather similar in terms of plot beats anyways, it is a fair trade.".)

But that will be for another day and I might top out Shadow Mew... might.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
As well as sweet innocent creature becoming an unholy eldritch abomination of NOPE!

I gave a rather large list of XD's in that fanfic. From XD-004 or Shadow Solgaleo who is an important plot relevant shadow pokemon. (And showing some growth in Lillie when she is the one to snag it.. and SHE IS NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT.)

XD-005 or Shadow Nihilego who did little before being snagged, but brought an Ampharos Wes has to the verge of insanity/ death from a modified version of the neurotoxins. (Design to kill you faster as throw away Cipher scientist demonstrated when he merged with it.) As well as being the Nihilego who was milked for fudged up experiments done on Mew

Then XD-002 or Shadow Mew who, even though I kept the really horrible stuff as back story/ build up. I made him special even among them (He has transform.) I have him take on the from of everything Elio (P.C) Lillie, along the others dragged into that mess, had fought through out their lives in an attempt to kill them.

Pretty much this boss.

Boss_Delirium.png
Delirium from the Binding of Isaac Afterbirth +.
From Totem Wishiwashi who, what ANYONE who played S/M will agree on, was a pain in the butt, to more personal forms like Type: Shadow. (A shadow pokemon version of Silvally.) or an even warped version of Mother Beast Lusamine. That Mew knows enough about our heroes just by reading their memories and will strike at them on a personal level. A big bonus since it unleashed hell all over Alola and resulted in the background characters fighting back against a mind that is gone and a world that is undergoing a glitch. (When I said it seeks the destruction of all, I am not sugar coating it.)

Then Shadow Mew exploits a loophole at the moment of its defeat to break free from Ardos's control, brought Elio to heart breaking insanity. (Forcing just a small image of what the Mew had gone through along the feelings of what was done.) All in an attempt to end it all with a shadow explosion. (That would have wiped Alola off the face of the earth and that isn't even the scariest implication. Mew attempted suicide.)

That is when Lillie finished charging up the Master Ball and got an aim to use at the Mew to put an end to the insanity.

Elio ended up in a coma for a week and when he woke up... he was in tears and left with a SEVERE case of PTSD. (A lot for a twelve year old boy to go through.)

The rest of the Fanfic was Mew having all of that crap removed from his and an epilogue arc.

Shadow Mew's plot beats seem pretty familiar to another villain we know of. A character that had one mentally scarring effect happen to them followed by another that made it worse, when that character is met in story, he/ she was at the peak of insanity and was stopped at the last moment from carrying out the point of no return, someone ends up in a coma. (Instead of the villain this time.)
Then that villain gets taken to another region for treatment in hopes to salvage the soul.

For the rest of this series... Shadow Mew gets mentioned a lot and even reused a few times. (Second attack on Elio, a nightmare and as a way to compensate for NOT using an alternate Lusamine in the RR arc by using a Mew from another reality if he was able to go through with blowing himself up "They are rather similar in terms of plot beats anyways, it is a fair trade.".)

But that will be for another day and I might top out Shadow Mew... might.
Definitely a pretty big list indeed. The possibilities can expand to otherwise innocent Pokémon to make them unexpectedly scary and the contrast amplifies this effect. I definitely would have expected more baby Pokémon in Colosseum/XD to be Shadow Pokémon but at least we have several cute, small and docile Pokémon as Shadow Pokémon that achieve a similar effect.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Team Rocket did kill a Marowak at the Pokémon Tower in Lavender Town (the Marowak ghost), so they could arguably be as bad as Team Flare.

That's bad on a personal level, though what Team Flare planned for is far worse than what Team Rocket really planned. While they occasionally talk about world domination, at least in the games Team Rocket doesn't have much of a plan outside of being a standard mafia/black market organization

Some of the implications about how Mewtwo was created are pretty dark. They mention there was "years of horrific gene splicing", which suggests either a lot of failed misshapen clones or they were experimenting on Mewtwo while it was still developing. And the diaries at the Pokemon Mansion compounded by it being wrecked strongly imply Mewtwo went on a rampage just like in the anime

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Some of the implications about how Mewtwo was created are pretty dark. They mention there was "years of horrific gene splicing", which suggests either a lot of failed misshapen clones or they were experimenting on Mewtwo while it was still developing. And the diaries at the Pokemon Mansion compounded by it being wrecked strongly imply Mewtwo went on a rampage just like in the anime

In the manga, Blaine and Mr. Fuji are stated to have had a hand in the creation of Mewtwo. The games make Mr. Fuji seem like a kind old man, but the manga is WAY darker than the games and anime at times. :eek:

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
In the manga, Blaine and Mr. Fuji are stated to have had a hand in the creation of Mewtwo. The games make Mr. Fuji seem like a kind old man, but the manga is WAY darker than the games and anime at times. :eek:

Yeah. I'm surprised with how much the manga gets away with sometimes. On one hand, it's pretty typical for kids media to have dark moments. But on the other hand I can't say I ever get too adjusted to it once it happens. For Pokemon I'm so used to playing the happy parts of the game so when the scary stuff appears in the manga such as:

-Forced Pokemon fusion

-characters being turned to stone

--characters being brainwashed against their own will(this happened in the games too but still)

--characters being killed ON SCREEN by Pokemon or other trainers directly

I start to get a bit freaked out. Not scared in a a bad way, but in a "OMG what the hell just happened type of way". Same for the games, but the manga really pushes it.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yeah. I'm surprised with how much the manga gets away with sometimes. On one hand, it's pretty typical for kids media to have dark moments. But on the other hand I can't say I ever get too adjusted to it once it happens. For Pokemon I'm so used to playing the happy parts of the game so when the scary stuff appears in the manga such as:

-Forced Pokemon fusion

-characters being turned to stone

--characters being brainwashed against their own will(this happened in the games too but still)

--characters being killed ON SCREEN by Pokemon or other trainers directly

I start to get a bit freaked out. Not scared in a a bad way, but in a "OMG what the hell just happened type of way". Same for the games, but the manga really pushes it.

The fourth one's happened quite a few times in the manga. Remember that bit where a Charmeleon slashes an Arbok RIGHT IN HALF?! You can even see its innards. And zombie Psyducks. :eek:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Is it wrong that violent scenes such as that one made me like the manga? It was just a refreshing change from the happy-go-lucky vibe of the anime for instance.

I also kind of prefer the manga as it follows the games more faithfully than the anime does.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Finding out that Raikou, Entei and Suicune were resurrected from deceased beings from a legend. It must have been scary to hear about the fire at Burned Tower but still the creepy part was that the beasts died in the legend and at least were resurrected by Ho-Oh later on.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Finding out that Raikou, Entei and Suicune were resurrected from deceased beings from a legend. It must have been scary to hear about the fire at Burned Tower but still the creepy part was that the beasts died in the legend and at least were resurrected by Ho-Oh later on.

I've heard a fan theory that the legendary dogs were Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon in a past life, then when they were killed in the fire, Ho-Oh elevated them to legendary status by reviving them.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I've heard a fan theory that the legendary dogs were Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon in a past life, then when they were killed in the fire, Ho-Oh elevated them to legendary status by reviving them.
Yeah I remember that theory on the Legendary beasts once being the Kanto Eeveelutions because the normal Abilities of the Kanto Eeveelutions were the same as the Hidden Abilities of the Legendary beasts before Gen 7 and they shared the same types. But it still remains a mystery who the Legendary beasts were prior to their deaths.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yeah I remember that theory on the Legendary beasts once being the Kanto Eeveelutions because the normal Abilities of the Kanto Eeveelutions were the same as the Hidden Abilities of the Legendary beasts before Gen 7 and they shared the same types. But it still remains a mystery who the Legendary beasts were prior to their deaths.

And their types also match up.
  • Raikou/Jolteon = Electric
  • Entei/Flareon = Fire
  • Suicune/Vaporeon = Water
They do look somewhat similar to each other, especially Vaporeon and Suicune.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I keep wondering about that one story about the faceless men and the purpose of the house it was told to the player. It was just so random just like the Ghost Girl.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
And their types also match up.
  • Raikou/Jolteon = Electric
  • Entei/Flareon = Fire
  • Suicune/Vaporeon = Water
They do look somewhat similar to each other, especially Vaporeon and Suicune.
That's what I meant by the types though. I guess they look kinda similar because of their similarities to dog-like features. But then it could be referenced somewhere in the games anyway.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Remember that Sevii Islands sidequest in FR/LG where you had to bring a lost girl back to her father? When she's in the forest, a Hypno comes up to her, and she wails: "I want my daddy!" Just before it transitions to the battle screen. First-ever case of a Pokémon attempting to kidnap a child in the games? :eek:

I keep wondering about that one story about the faceless men and the purpose of the house it was told to the player. It was just so random just like the Ghost Girl.

What game was that in? I don't remember hearing about it.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Remember that Sevii Islands sidequest in FR/LG where you had to bring a lost girl back to her father? When she's in the forest, a Hypno comes up to her, and she wails: "I want my daddy!" Just before it transitions to the battle screen. First-ever case of a Pokémon attempting to kidnap a child in the games? :eek:
Oh yeah, that girl was Lostelle. It's definitely scary to hear that the Hypno scare her but I think she went to the Berry Forest to pick Berries as usual but in that moment she just became scared because a Hypno approached her.

buskalilly

Is it wrong that violent scenes such as that one made me like the manga? It was just a refreshing change from the happy-go-lucky vibe of the anime for instance.

Seeing all that stuff on the internet was what first made me check out the manga, and I did end up loving it for the slightly more unpredictable, violent tone.