• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scary/creepy/weird stuff in Pokémon (games, anime, manga etc.)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Personally I think they got cautious after the controversies around Jynx and Alakazam in Gen 1. Which is also why I don't think we'll ever see an obvious pitchfork-style devil or an obvious halo and harp-style angel Pokemon.
I believe it was Kadabra that triggered a controversy instead of Alakazam. Not only it had a lightning-like Zener card symbol (which was meant to be wavy) on it that resembled a symbol associated with Nazi Germany but its Japanese name ‘Yungerer’ (ユンゲラー) was similar to a Uri Geller (ユリ・ゲラー), a known magician, illusionist and a self-proclaimed psychic, in its katakana. But otherwise it’s pretty much true. I kinda find it weird how similar it is with the katakana but I’m pretty sure Game Freak wouldn’t have wanted to create a ruckus over it even if the naming was intentional.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Remember that in Japanese kid's media poop is considered hilarious. Digimon and Yo-Kai Watch both have pee/poop inspired monsters, for example.

Remember the Great Mighty Poo from Conker's Bad Fur Day?

"I AM THE GREAT MIGHTY POO, AND I WILL THROW MY SH*T AT YOU."

:D

CBFD was actually more inspired by South Park than Digimon, but it could be an inspiration. ;)

Personally I think they got cautious after the controversies around Jynx and Alakazam in Gen 1. Which is also why I don't think we'll ever see an obvious pitchfork-style devil or an obvious halo and harp-style angel Pokemon.

Giratina comes pretty close to being a devilish Pokémon, because it did something awful that caused it to be banished to an alternate dimension. I think it's more of an order-keeping figure with Dialga and Palkia, though.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Ghost Girl in Castelia City is the weird one. Why would she say 'No... you're not the one...' on the second floor of a random building? I believe she also is in the hotel in Castelia as well listening to the elevator.
I believe that happened in Lumiose City, not Castelia City, as I remember it happened in X and Y not in Black and White. Both sure are big cities so it could be quite easy to mix them up.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Oh yeah, Lumiose. Either way, still a weird event.
True. Even if she was seen entering the office room she's nowhere to be seen there and anywhere else, which makes it even weirder.

Orphalesion

Giratina comes pretty close to being a devilish Pokémon, because it did something awful that caused it to be banished to an alternate dimension. I think it's more of an order-keeping figure with Dialga and Palkia, though.

That's why I specified "an obvious pitchfork-style devil", meaning we won't get a little red humanoid Pokemon with horns and cloven hooves and a pitchfork ;-)

We also pretty much have a very angelic Pokemon in Guardevoir, but again, it's not a stereotypical angel with wings and halo.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
That's why I specified "an obvious pitchfork-style devil", meaning we won't get a little red humanoid Pokemon with horns and cloven hooves and a pitchfork ;-)

We also pretty much have a very angelic Pokemon in Guardevoir, but again, it's not a stereotypical angel with wings and halo.

Then we have a more obvious example with Necrozma. What was a gracious creature that ended up falling from that grace. (When Necrozma lost his light and became the light devouring fiend he is known when the games started.)

Orphalesion

Then we have a more obvious example with Necrozma. What was a gracious creature that ended up falling from that grace. (When Necrozma lost his light and became the light devouring fiend he is known when the games started.)

Except that's not obvious at all (and not a red humanoid with a pitchfork, please learn to read), it requires delving into the lore of the game. You wouldn't get it from looking at the thing, like here: http://yokaiwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Timidevil

People who cause shitstorms because of video game characters are too lazy to actually take a closer look at the stuff they are complaining about (otherwise they'd realize how groundless their complaints are 99% of the time), so as long as it doesn't look exactly like an easily recognizable demonic thing, it's less likely to catch attention. Alakazam was problematic because its head looks almost exactly like Alakazam and Jynx was problematic because she resembled Blackface. Nothing that has appeared in Pokemon since was like that. We'll probably never have a pitchfork devil in Pokemon.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Except that's not obvious at all (and not a red humanoid with a pitchfork, please learn to read), it requires delving into the lore of the game. You wouldn't get it from looking at the thing, like here: http://yokaiwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Timidevil

People who cause shitstorms because of video game characters are too lazy to actually take a closer look at the stuff they are complaining about (otherwise they'd realize how groundless their complaints are 99% of the time), so as long as it doesn't look exactly like an easily recognizable demonic thing, it's less likely to catch attention. Alakazam was problematic because its head looks almost exactly like Alakazam and Jynx was problematic because she resembled Blackface. Nothing that has appeared in Pokemon since was like that. We'll probably never have a pitchfork devil in Pokemon.

I was talking Necrozma and the similar story beat with Lucifer. (Aka what Satan use to be before he thought rebelling against God was a smart decision and get booted into Hell.)
In regards to your pitchfork devil... the closest thing we got is the Houndour line and the hell hound vibe it gave. (Under rated pokemon.)

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
A good number of PokeStar Studios opponents and the stuff they use, such as Black Door from The Mystery Doors of the Magical Land. I wish they used actual Pokemon to battle.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Orphalesion said:

It's ironic to me how two Psychic-types caused controversy in Gen I. Granted, I thought that the Rougela thing was overblown and wouldn't have attracted much notice if a certain rant hadn't been published.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
It's ironic to me how two Psychic-types caused controversy in Gen I. Granted, I thought that the Rougela thing was overblown and wouldn't have attracted much notice if a certain rant hadn't been published.
Mr. Popo from DBZ is way more racist than Jynx will ever be. Last time I checked, black women don’t have powers to blow icy winds out of their mouths. We sort of got an Angel with a halo with Flabebé and Floette if you count the hair as wings.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
A good number of PokeStar Studios opponents and the stuff they use, such as Black Door from The Mystery Doors of the Magical Land. I wish they used actual Pokemon to battle.
The CGI opponents were definitely the weird bit too. It seemed like that Pokémon were used to attack the opponents, especially people, for no apparent reason. Either way it was pretty fun to test out against new type and Ability combos.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

Jynx is based on ganguro, a Japanese subculture of painting yourself with thick makeup. She also takes some inspiration from the Yuki-onna, a ghostly snow woman in Japanese legend who was also the inspiration for Froslass. (Froslass' Japanese name is Yuminoko, or something of that ilk.)

So Jynx wasn't really a black stereotype at all, nor was she meant to be. Pokémon is a worldwide thing now, but back in the 90s Westerners were only just beginning to learn about all the Pokémon when it was a craze, and some things which may not bat an eyelid in Japan can cause controversy and outrage in the West. (See, for example, the offending Kadabra card and the Japanese Moomoo Milk card in the TCG.)

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
With one specific part of the Old Chateau, there is a room where there is a TV and where Rotom is found. There is a feeling of something watching from the TV and that could be a Rotom. And even creepier there is a room with a painting with red eyes that follow the player where Gengar can be encountered whenever a GBA game is inserted in a DS/DS Lite.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
With one specific part of the Old Chateau, there is a room where there is a TV and where Rotom is found. There is a feeling of something watching from the TV and that could be a Rotom. And even creepier there is a room with a painting with red eyes that follow the player where Gengar can be encountered whenever a GBA game is inserted in a DS/DS Lite.

Rotom comes out of the TV, if I remember correctly.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Rotom comes out of the TV, if I remember correctly.
Yeah, I think that happens. But then even if it is already caught, it still feels like that something is watching from it too and that could also allude to Rotom once being in that TV.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yeah, I think that happens. But then even if it is already caught, it still feels like that something is watching from it too and that could also allude to Rotom once being in that TV.

Rotom likes to hide inside electrical devices. It could allude to its Ghost-typing, and 'ghosting', which is when an afterimage appears on the TV screen even when it's turned off.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Rotom likes to hide inside electrical devices. It could allude to its Ghost-typing, and 'ghosting', which is when an afterimage appears on the TV screen even when it's turned off.
I think that makes total sense too. Maybe the feeling of it still watching the player after it was caught could be an image of it being in the TV once before. But it's not actually there, which could make it even more scary.