• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scary/creepy/weird stuff in Pokémon (games, anime, manga etc.)

Luthor

Gengar's Pokedex entries in Alola are weird. I like them but they certainly have a different style to them.

"Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up."
"It apparently wishes for a travelling companion. Since it was once human itself, it tries to create one by taking the lives of other humans."
"You can hear tales told all over the world about how Gengar will pay a visit to children who are naughty."
"Even your home isn't safe. Gengar will lurk in whatever dark corner of a room it can find and wait for its chance to catch its prey."

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Gengar's Pokedex entries in Alola are weird. I like them but they certainly have a different style to them.

"Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up."
"It apparently wishes for a travelling companion. Since it was once human itself, it tries to create one by taking the lives of other humans."
"You can hear tales told all over the world about how Gengar will pay a visit to children who are naughty."
"Even your home isn't safe. Gengar will lurk in whatever dark corner of a room it can find and wait for its chance to catch its prey."
Yeah it’s definitely creepy, especially the first one. One is told they have no escape and they should give up. I guess that means that once a Gengar appears their fate is sealed.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

GF seems to have something against children. Duskull's Dex entries say parents threaten naughty kids with a visit from Duskull, Drifloon lures children with its balloon-like looks to drag them away to their oblivion, and Drowzee's entries say it likes children's dreams better than adults' because they taste better. Taste like candy and rainbows, maybe? o_O

Gen 7's Dex entries are just really morbid, a lot more so than previous gens. Mega Absol's entry says its aura is so strong that people literally have a heart attack on seeing it, and of course Bewear hugs people hard, sometimes to their death. Mimikyu is the worst offender, though - even just taking a curious peek under its rags will make you meet a painful, horrifying end, as one unlucky scientist found out.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Drowzee's entries say it likes children's dreams better than adults' because they taste better. Taste like candy and rainbows, maybe? o_O
Maybe it could be that children tend to have brighter imaginations because of their less stressful lives and adults have busier and more stressful lives and therefore darker imaginations. That could mean that Drowzee finds the children's dreams sweeter and finds the dreams of the adult not as sweet. But I don't find it creepy because I don't really care too much about my dreams but I find it weird as in the way Drowzee could eat dreams.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
But let's not forget Drifloon dislikes heavy children, so I guess best way to deal with them is obesity.
True. But then there’s something even creepier about Drifloon according to its Moon entry. So:
Drifloon’s Moon Pokédex entry said:
If for some reason its body bursts, its soul spills out with a screaming sound.
That’s already scary. Both a burst body and the screaming of the spirits within.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
True. But then there’s something even creepier about Drifloon according to its Moon entry. So:

That’s already scary. Both a burst body and the screaming of the spirits within.

It's kind of like Pandora's Box. If it's opened, everything bad in the world comes screaming out of it at once.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It's kind of like Pandora's Box. If it's opened, everything bad in the world comes screaming out of it at once.
Yeah, I guess. There aren't too many Pokémon other than Drifloon and I kinda thought that Spiritomb is like that when it's released from the Odd Keystone.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yeah, I guess. There aren't too many Pokémon other than Drifloon and I kinda thought that Spiritomb is like that when it's released from the Odd Keystone.

We still don't know what evil deed Spiritomb carried out to warrant it being chained to the Odd Keystone. Neither do we know what Giratina did to banish it to the other dimension.

Leonhart

Imagineer

The species has always been malevolent even as far back as Gen I, so I'm glad that Gangar's creepiness was left intact, much like Fuwante's (Drifloon).

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
We still don't know what evil deed Spiritomb carried out to warrant it being chained to the Odd Keystone. Neither do we know what Giratina did to banish it to the other dimension.
Yeah that’s what I said last time. And we still don’t know what sins these spirits of people and Pokémon did to deserve being confined to a Drifloon.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
zzKWNzF.jpg

Since were posting creepy stuff, I've decided to post this image. Tell me something? What do you see? You see Pokemon Adventure's take on Groudon and Kyogre right? Well... look at it a little closer, look at them... smiling... at you, the reader. The reader who is shocked that Groudon and Kyogre, although misunderstood, are the true villains of the Ruby and Sapphire arc, may even make you rethink of how they were in the games. They are smiling, eagerly at the thought of their bloodlust for battle, using Maxie and Archie's lust for power as pawns, ignoring the people screaming and the Pokemon fleeing for their lives at the vast earthquakes and tsunamis coming raging through their way rendering the Gym Leaders helpless, the Elite Four, Pokemon Champion, the Regi brothers, barely can slow them down. This is arguably the most terrifyingly accurate adaptation of GameFreak's intended vision for Groudon and Kyogre from the games.

As long as they stand, no one is safe from them.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
zzKWNzF.jpg

Since were posting creepy stuff, I've decided to post this image. Tell me something? What do you see? You see Pokemon Adventure's take on Groudon and Kyogre right? Well... look at it a little closer, look at them... smiling... at you, the reader. The reader who is shocked that Groudon and Kyogre, although misunderstood, are the true villains of the Ruby and Sapphire arc, may even make you rethink of how they were in the games. They are smiling, eagerly at the thought of their bloodlust for battle, using Maxie and Archie's lust for power as pawns, ignoring the people screaming and the Pokemon fleeing for their lives at the vast earthquakes and tsunamis coming raging through their way rendering the Gym Leaders helpless, the Elite Four, Pokemon Champion, the Regi brothers, barely can slow them down. This is arguably the most terrifyingly accurate adaptation of GameFreak's intended vision for Groudon and Kyogre from the games.

As long as they stand, no one is safe from them.

Hoenn is basically going through the (potential) Apocalypse at that point. That's what makes it even more frightening.

The species has always been malevolent even as far back as Gen I, so I'm glad that Gangar's creepiness was left intact, much like Fuwante's (Drifloon).

In the anime (particularly the first season), Gengar and its pre-evos were basically mischievous ghosts, playing tricks on Ash and his friends. They even pretended he was dead. The games are a bit more upfront with their creepiness, however.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Hoenn is basically going through the (potential) Apocalypse at that point. That's what makes it even more frightening.
Thinking about what could happen if there was an eternal drought or a flood, either could be devastating. But at least there's Rayquaza that could help stop so.

Cat's Eye Draco

The "...something's stirring/approaching" messages in PMD - the ones you get when you stay in a dungeon too long - used to creep me out. They don't bother me at all anymore (since I know they're just referring to a sudden gust of wind and I can generally get out of there in time), but I remember the very first time that message came up I freaked out because I thought something really was approaching. I've never made for the stairs so fast in all my life. xD

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Whenever the radio is turned on at the Ruins of Alph and the radio waves from the Unown create weird signals. Even so it sounds so creepy.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Whenever the radio is turned on at the Ruins of Alph and the radio waves from the Unown create weird signals. Even so it sounds so creepy.

The Unown are creatures from another world.

Individual they are near powerless... but together with someone capable of doing it... reality is nothing them. They are almost like a hive mind. (They are Arceus are connected.)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The Unown are creatures from another world.

Individual they are near powerless... but together with someone capable of doing it... reality is nothing them. They are almost like a hive mind. (They are Arceus are connected.)
I think that was true for the anime only due to the existence of an Unown dimension.

However the second statement is pretty much true as Unown’s Pokédex entries state that Unown’s powers amplify significantly when in large groups. The Sinjoh Ruins establish a connection between the Unown and Arceus.

But these don’t really explain what causes the Unown to emit strange radio waves.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I think that was true for the anime only due to the existence of an Unown dimension.

However the second statement is pretty much true as Unown’s Pokédex entries state that Unown’s powers amplify significantly when in large groups. The Sinjoh Ruins establish a connection between the Unown and Arceus.

But these don’t really explain what causes the Unown to emit strange radio waves.

There has to be a reason why in the Johto games and Kanto remakes that the Unown don't show up until you do a puzzle, they either arrive into the world or just wake up. (This one is entirely on head cannon.)

The radio waves however is easy to explain, your radio connects to the hive mind of the Unown and you listen to them communicating with something.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
There has to be a reason why in the Johto games and Kanto remakes that the Unown don't show up until you do a puzzle, they either arrive into the world or just wake up. (This one is entirely on head cannon.)

The radio waves however is easy to explain, your radio connects to the hive mind of the Unown and you listen to them communicating with something.
I believe in the games, the Unown are spotted in the ruins as shown by the Unown-like inscriptions on the walls and the Unown Report states that they simply wake up once a puzzle is solved.

But yeah, there is a statement in the Unown Report that shows that the Unown communicate with each other using radio waves and that should be it.