• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scary/creepy/weird stuff in Pokémon (games, anime, manga etc.)

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
New creepy/ weird thing that may have been said.

Deoxys in its entirety.

What is known about this pokemon is that it came from outer space as a virus on a meteor, through particular rays it mutates into a pokemon.

Unlike the Ultra Beasts which are based on an animal we can recognize or based on a man made object. (Fitting the invasive species theme.)

This pokemon is the concept of DNA and made into something far more alien. Its forms also compliment the theme, Defense, Normal and Attack. Take the first letter in those three names and you will spell.... DNA.

Not to mention... as of any lore, we don't know where that virus came from or how such a mutation is even able to happen... it just happens.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
One part about Deoxys I found creepy in ORAS was when it emerged from the triangle before its encounter. It was just its arms crawling out of it.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
One part about Deoxys I found creepy in ORAS was when it emerged from the triangle before its encounter. It was just its arms crawling out of it.

And as that triangular stone moving on its own. Like I said, Deoxys's behavior, its anatomy and its origins are... in no better word, alien.

We are not even talking about instinctual behavior like Nihilego or bonkers like Necrozma. (The rest of the Beasts are easy to understand from looking at their dimensions, reading up on Poipole or coming to the conclusion that they are strangers in an alien world and are doing what they must to adapt.) You don't know how Deoxys even thinks other than it is very intelligent.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
And as that triangular stone moving on its own. Like I said, Deoxys's behavior, its anatomy and its origins are... in no better word, alien.
It’s Pokédex entries state it has an extraterrestrial origin, which would make it alien anyway. But it moving on its own is definitely weird though and as a result of moving in a certain configuration Deoxys is summoned at Birth Island in FRLG/Emerald and causes Deoxys to emerge in ORAS.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Whenever the radio is turned on at the Ruins of Alph and the radio waves from the Unown create weird signals. Even so it sounds so creepy.

That always freaked me out when I was younger playing the original Silver.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zhydra said:

The meteor/stone moving on its own is creepier in Gen III than in Gen VI since it moved away from us suddenly. It reminded me of jumping beans.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
That always freaked me out when I was younger playing the original Silver.
Well I think it’s scary because the signals seem to replace the usual radio broadcast out of nowhere.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Well I think it’s scary because the signals seem to replace the usual radio broadcast out of nowhere.

It scares me more than the Lavender Town theme. The latter at least has a melody, but the Ruins of Alph radio signals are just low-pitched beats with some short electrical static-like noises.

(Does anyone else find the Lavender Town theme that scary?)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It scares me more than the Lavender Town theme. The latter at least has a melody, but the Ruins of Alph radio signals are just low-pitched beats with some short electrical static-like noises.

(Does anyone else find the Lavender Town theme that scary?)
I definitely found that one more spine-chilling than the Lavender Town theme. The only bit I find scary in the Lavender Town theme is the high pitched part in that theme.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Gengar's Pokedex Entry -
"Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up."

YmMQJQX.png

This is the situation Green and Koga find themselves in when going up against Agatha's Gengar. I love it when the manga actually expands on Pokedex entries, especially creatively during action scenes.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
The "...something's stirring/approaching" messages in PMD - the ones you get when you stay in a dungeon too long - used to creep me out. They don't bother me at all anymore (since I know they're just referring to a sudden gust of wind and I can generally get out of there in time), but I remember the very first time that message came up I freaked out because I thought something really was approaching. I've never made for the stairs so fast in all my life. xD

What happens if you stay inside the dungeon longer after you see the message? Does the wind blow you out?

I definitely found that one more spine-chilling than the Lavender Town theme. The only bit I find scary in the Lavender Town theme is the high pitched part in that theme.

The Japanese version is supposedly even creepier, and is the subject of a rather infamous Creepypasta. It has 'hidden' frequencies which apparently drove kids insane and develop suicidal tendencies.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The Japanese version is supposedly even creepier, and is the subject of a rather infamous Creepypasta. It has 'hidden' frequencies which apparently drove kids insane and develop suicidal tendencies.
I believe that the Lavender Town Syndrome is already false. But nevertheless the music is still quite scary.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I found out that the "Something's approaching..." messages, as @Cat's Eye Draco mentioned, are actually a warning. Dungeons have a time limit, but it's not visible or immediately obvious to the player until they see the message:

https://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Limit

If you stay in the dungeon after the fourth warning, you get blasted out of the dungeon by the gust of wind, and it is considered a loss.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I found out that the "Something's approaching..." messages, as @Cat's Eye Draco mentioned, are actually a warning. Dungeons have a time limit, but it's not visible or immediately obvious to the player until they see the message:

If you stay in the dungeon after the fourth warning, you get blasted out of the dungeon by the gust of wind, and it is considered a loss.
The feeling that something is approaching is definitely scary. Anyway it feels that something bad is going to happen and that the consequences won’t be good.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
The feeling that something is approaching is definitely scary. Anyway it feels that something bad is going to happen and that the consequences won’t be good.

It feels kind of like a mysterious presence.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It feels kind of like a mysterious presence.
Especially when it wasn't clear on the sort of presence. But that can further emphasise on the weird and the possibly scary feeling of the presence.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Did anyone find the Trick Master creepy? I mean, his whole business is playing tricks on you.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:

The time limit seemed needless to me in the first place, although the message reminds me of the Abyssal Ruins message before we get kicked out.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Did anyone find the Trick Master creepy? I mean, his whole business is playing tricks on you.
Not really but instead I found his way of disappearing weird, like the mysterious man in Haina Desert. Other than that I found the tricks pretty hilarious.

Cat's Eye Draco

The time limit seemed needless to me in the first place, although the message reminds me of the Abyssal Ruins message before we get kicked out.

I always figured that the time limit was meant to keep you from becoming over-leveled, which would be pretty easy to do if you were allowed to plant yourself in a dungeon and battle for hours on end.