• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scary/creepy/weird stuff in Pokémon (games, anime, manga etc.)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I always figured that the time limit was meant to keep you from becoming over-leveled, which would be pretty easy to do if you were allowed to plant yourself in a dungeon and battle for hours on end.
Yeah I think that's the reason why there's a time limit in every dungeon in the Mystery Dungeon games so that the player doesn't grind their Pokémon indefinitely on one level in a particular dungeon. It's just to make these games not too easy.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Indeedy. The music wasn't even changed between releases.
Yeah, I heard no differences between the Japanese Red and Green and the Red and Blue we know of. I felt that the creepypasta about Lavender Town Syndrome made it feel more scary than usual.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Pokemon Adventures take on Dennis, the most creepiest and unsettling take on this sociopath in all of the Pokemon series.

You know who is absolutely the greatest monster in the form of a human being? Dennis, the main antagonist of Black and White and Black and White 2. In both BW and BW2, Dennis is thought to be this peaceful figure in Team Plasma only to be later revealed to be a manipulative sociopath who loses his cool very fast. In BW2 and USUM, this man went so far as to murder two kids who were in his way. However some Pokemon Adventure fans admitted that they did not like the fact that GameFreak just made him transparently evil, not doing much of a job to hide his true colors early on in the game, all the more reason why his Adventures counterpart is far more unsettling and creepier.

In Pokemon Adventures, Dennis's role is largely the same except one unsettling creepy change. This Dennis does not easily lose his temper, he almost never shows a sinister grin like most villains rather he approaches as a gentle old man with an angelic smile or an innocent look on his face. Even when he shocks people with his true colors, he downright explains his dastardly intentions with that angelic smile and innoccent look on his face. This is a Dennis, a sociopath who seems to actually believe his own words. This simple change of having Dennis appear as a gentle angelic figure before and after his evil intentions are revealed easily makes him a top contender for evilest villains of the entire Pokemon series.

tumblr_p2ret1O7Gy1tx9gv9o1_500.png

Dennis from Pokemon Adventures explaining his relationship with his son N with an innocent look on his face. This is easily the most unsettling creepy villain in the Pokemon series.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
When it was heard that a female Faller was used as bait for Guzzlord and that she lost her life to it in a mission to find one. it just makes the Ultra Beast missions in Sun and Moon feel pretty dark.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Not really but instead I found his way of disappearing weird, like the mysterious man in Haina Desert. Other than that I found the tricks pretty hilarious.

You mean the man who spins out towards outer space when you give him a Solrock/Lunatone?

When it was heard that a female Faller was used as bait for Guzzlord and that she lost her life to it in a mission to find one. it just makes the Ultra Beast missions in Sun and Moon feel pretty dark.

Guzzlord doesn't really digest anything it eats, though. Its Dex entries say its droppings have never been found (again, with the excrement reference...), so it's implied Guzzlord is the personification of a literal black hole. Anything it eats gets sucked in, never to be seen again.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
You mean the man who spins out towards outer space when you give him a Solrock/Lunatone?
When he is shown a Solrock/Lunatone and he gives you a Sun Stone/Moon Stone. And yeah he does spin towards space.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

literal trash

Kaiser (please refer to me as this)
The Hall of Origin, despite never being accessible via normal gameplay, has arguably the creepiest music in the series. Maybe it's because you were never really supposed to be there, because the Azure Flute (the only non-cheating way to get in), was never officially released anywhere, which gives it an even more creepy vibe. Also the music sounds like the closest thing we have to what the beginning of the universe sounded like, which fits Arceus' lore very well.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
The whole 'Gary's Raticate died' thing. Several occurrences in the Gen 1 games and their remakes seem to strongly imply this: Gary (Blue)'s Raticate is nowhere to be seen after you battle him on the SS Anne, which possibly means Gary tried to heal his Raticate at a Pokémon Centre, but died of its injuries before he could reach one.

The next time you see Gary, he's at the Pokémon Tower in Lavender Town (cliche, I know...), where he is looking over the Pokémon graves, ostensibly mourning his dead Raticate. He doesn't seem all that upset about it, however - he puts on his usual loudmouth tendencies and sarcastically laughs that your Pokémon don't look dead, before smirking that he can at least faint them.

The incident isn't mentioned for the rest of the game, not even at the Indigo League before you battle him for the Champion title. Maybe Gary didn't really care about his Raticate that much, as it was only a temporary team filler before he comes up with his final roster as a Champion, but any other Trainer would at least show sadness for the departure of their team members.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The whole 'Gary's Raticate died' thing. Several occurrences in the Gen 1 games and their remakes seem to strongly imply this: Gary (Blue)'s Raticate is nowhere to be seen after you battle him on the SS Anne, which possibly means Gary tried to heal his Raticate at a Pokémon Centre, but died of its injuries before he could reach one.

The next time you see Gary, he's at the Pokémon Tower in Lavender Town (cliche, I know...), where he is looking over the Pokémon graves, ostensibly mourning his dead Raticate. He doesn't seem all that upset about it, however - he puts on his usual loudmouth tendencies and sarcastically laughs that your Pokémon don't look dead, before smirking that he can at least faint them.

The incident isn't mentioned for the rest of the game, not even at the Indigo League before you battle him for the Champion title. Maybe Gary didn't really care about his Raticate that much, as it was only a temporary team filler before he comes up with his final roster as a Champion, but any other Trainer would at least show sadness for the departure of their team members.
I think that Gary boxed his Raticate and replaced it with other Pokémon. Maybe he didn’t care about it much because he thought it was weak and his goal was to become the best Trainer.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah imma go with this conclusion. I think it was to show that you should also be boxing weak pokemon in favour of a stronger party
I think that can also show that the effects of having a full party and having to box Pokémon just because the party is full. But going with the strong Pokémon part I believe he wanted to assemble ‘the best team ever’, which emphasised more on selecting Pokémon for the team rather than killing them off out of neglect.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I think that Gary boxed his Raticate and replaced it with other Pokémon. Maybe he didn’t care about it much because he thought it was weak and his goal was to become the best Trainer.

Then why was he at the Pokémon Tower? OK, so the player goes there too, even though their Pokémon aren't dead, but to find out what the mysterious ghosts are.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Then why was he at the Pokémon Tower? OK, so the player goes there too, even though their Pokémon aren't dead, but to find out what the mysterious ghosts are.

Why couldn't he also be interested in the ghosts...? Like there are people around talking about the weird stuff going on at Pokemon Tower.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I believe the player goes there to rescue Mr. Fuji from being held hostage by Team Rocket at the top of the tower. But the player has to get a Silph Scope so that the player can see that the Marowak ghost is indeed the ghost of a Marowak. But we still don't know the motive for the player entering the tower and perhaps the player could have encountered Mr. Fuji at the top of the tower by pure coincidence.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I believe the player goes there to rescue Mr. Fuji from being held hostage by Team Rocket at the top of the tower. But the player has to get a Silph Scope so that the player can see that the Marowak ghost is indeed the ghost of a Marowak.

The player goes to see Mr. Fuji (I believe to get the pokeflute???) But are told he hasnt returned from the tower. Then you go there, ghosts 3spoopy5me, go get the Silph scope from the rocket hideout (I cant remember how you'd know to do this), rescue Fuji

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The player goes to see Mr. Fuji (I believe to get the pokeflute???) But are told he hasnt returned from the tower. Then you go there, ghosts 3spoopy5me, go get the Silph scope from the rocket hideout (I cant remember how you'd know to do this), rescue Fuji
Since Mr. Fuji gives the player the Poké Flute to the player in gratitude after rescuing him, without knowledge on how useful it is for the player, I don't think that would have motivated the player to go to the Pokémon Tower. The Silph Scope is obtained after defeating Giovanni at the Rocket Hideout, suggesting that Team Rocket has had intentions of doing some dirty work at the Pokémon Tower.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Since Mr. Fuji gives the player the Poké Flute to the player in gratitude after rescuing him, without knowledge on how useful it is for the player, I don't think that would have motivated the player to go to the Pokémon Tower. The Silph Scope is obtained after defeating Giovanni at the Rocket Hideout, suggesting that Team Rocket has had intentions of doing some dirty work at the Pokémon Tower.

I know the flute isn't the reason for going in game, but thats the purpose of the quest. like you have as little reason to be in the tower as the rival.