• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scary/creepy/weird stuff in Pokémon (games, anime, manga etc.)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Morelull and Shiinotic are actually based on a type of mushroom whose spores glow in the dark. It's kind of like nature's neon lights.
Oh. Even they glow in the dark too as shown in the anime. But still both types of glowing can produce a similar effect.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Inside one of the houses in Pacifidlog Town in Hoenn, a boy asks you where did you come from. The only response choices are "Yes" and "No". If you say "No," he says something like: "Oh, you're not gonna tell me you were born at the bottom of the sea, then?"

I think this would've made more sense in the original Japanese, but they botched the translation when it came to localization into English. It's still weird how it's just a "Yes" or "No" question, however.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Inside one of the houses in Pacifidlog Town in Hoenn, a boy asks you where did you come from. The only response choices are "Yes" and "No". If you say "No," he says something like: "Oh, you're not gonna tell me you were born at the bottom of the sea, then?"

I think this would've made more sense in the original Japanese, but they botched the translation when it came to localization into English. It's still weird how it's just a "Yes" or "No" question, however.
What an amazing question that was. But I think the Japanese version made an pun on ‘high town’ because ‘high’ sounds like ‘yes’ in Japanese. No too sure about the ‘No’ one.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
What an amazing question that was. But I think the Japanese version made an pun on ‘high town’ because ‘high’ sounds like ‘yes’ in Japanese. No too sure about the ‘No’ one.

That's why I said it makes more sense in Japanese than English. The pun wouldn't work in the latter language.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
That's why I said it makes more sense in Japanese than English. The pun wouldn't work in the latter language.
Yeah I think it’s like that ‘Cowterpie’ situation where the Japanese puns just wouldn’t work as well in English. And things like that are often difficult to translate.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
When you get the Flash TM in Castelia city......need I say more?

What's so weird about that? I don't really what happened.

Yeah I think it’s like that ‘Cowterpie’ situation where the Japanese puns just wouldn’t work as well in English. And things like that are often difficult to translate.

Pokémon is a worldwide phenomenon, but some things still do get lost in translation from the original Japanese.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Hey guys. I know this is kind of a stretch but LET'S GO SPOILERS...

But do you ever think that the giant ghostly figure's appearance is a reference to the Black Fog, possibly the most disturbing and most horrifying creation in Pokemon?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
You get the TM from a guy hiding in an alley from behind a dumpster. Considering it's a TM for Flash you can see the joke.

So... he's basically "Flashing" you?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Pokémon is a worldwide phenomenon, but some things still do get lost in translation from the original Japanese.
True so things definitely need to be localised and translated. Even though I found that question and its options weird, I think it’s funny because of that.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
If you talk to the Mimikyu at the Aether House on Route 15, it says "Me... me... curse you..." And from what I've heard about Mimikyu in the anime, it's even creepier.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
If you talk to the Mimikyu at the Aether House on Route 15, it says "Me... me... curse you..." And from what I've heard about Mimikyu in the anime, it's even creepier.
Yes, I remember that Mimikyu in Sun and Moon. In the anime, Meowth says that its speech is very intimidating and that at times it has scared Meowth.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Lysandre's last, suicidal stand in the end of Pokemon X and Y. He's already disturbing to begin with since he plans to commit genocide by firing the Ultimate Weapon and wipe away the world so it can start anew in a mad plan to solve resource shortage. But he ends up firing a futile attack that causes his base to collapse while he's still there, planning to curse you with immortality to see the world rot and decay. Nobody ever tries to make a rescue effort afterwards and the base remains buried for the rest of the game, meaning by all likelihood he and all Team Flare members that were sane enough to evacuate have been crushed under tons of rubble. And if being close to the weapon when fired like Lysandre was does confer immortality, Lysandre is suffering a fate worse than death where he'll spend Arceus knows how long buried under said rubble in great pain