• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scary/creepy/weird stuff in Pokémon (games, anime, manga etc.)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Yeah... Why does Machamp have to carry you while he pushes heavy boulders around? I get that he has four arms, but still. o_O
You look like a baby being held the wrong way! It’d make far more sense if you rode piggy back style on the shoulders.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I heard of some story in Laverre City about a boy who turned into a Froakie. Although there were many stories where people turned into Pokémon, this one stuck with me for a long time.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I heard of some story in Laverre City about a boy who turned into a Froakie. Although there were many stories where people turned into Pokémon, this one stuck with me for a long time.

I... don't remember that. It's been a long time since I played the Kalos games. But I think it's like the Pokémon world's version of The Princess and the Frog. The boy turning into Kadabra, though... :eek:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I... don't remember that. It's been a long time since I played the Kalos games. But I think it's like the Pokémon world's version of The Princess and the Frog. The boy turning into Kadabra, though... :eek:
True though. In one way it does reflect on the city's associations with fairy tales and the Fairy-types overall. Although obvious, the associations isn't just limited to Valerie. But maybe that could be based on a fairy tale itself and it is therefore a work purely based on fiction.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
One thing I found weird is how the professor is expected to be an expert of Pokémon and writes all of the Pokédex entries of every Pokémon in the Pokédex but sends the player on a task to catch all of the Pokémon to unlock the entry data in the Pokédex. But then can't the professor tell the player about every Pokémon that can be found in their native region? But really it's a great incentive for the player to get out on an adventure to look out for as many different Pokémon species as possible and experience their behaviours in their natural habitat.

Where was it said the professor's write the Dex entries? Oak says the Pokedex itself automatically writes them.

Yeah... Why does Machamp have to carry you while he pushes heavy boulders around? I get that he has four arms, but still. o_O

At one point in the game, you can meet an old woman who uses a Machamp Shove to get around. I assume they carry you because they're specifically designed for people who can't get around easily.

Now, why they don't use wheelchairs or something is a question in of itself.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Another creepy thing in the games the fact that DPPt mentions humans marrying Pokémon and implies it was a common thing which seems really really wrong. It’s disturbing and seems to be pushing beastiality which in itself is disgusting. Mr Mime and other almost humanoid Pokémon I can sort of be okay with and see how it’s possible but does this mean that some guy married a Klefki or Ninetales?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Where was it said the professor's write the Dex entries? Oak says the Pokedex itself automatically writes them.
Well I don't remember too much from what happened with the Pokédex entries a long time ago but then it just felt weird Pokédex entries in the games were not pre-programmed into the Pokédex and were written as soon as the player obtains the Pokémon. It probably would have sourced the data from different databases like accessing some sort of Internet or it would just have the capabilities to make simple observations of a Pokémon inside a Poké Ball to record data. It definitely made more sense in Sun and Moon to have Rotom self-write the Pokédex entries for the Pokémon.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Another creepy thing in the games the fact that DPPt mentions humans marrying Pokémon and implies it was a common thing which seems really really wrong. It’s disturbing and seems to be pushing beastiality which in itself is disgusting. Mr Mime and other almost humanoid Pokémon I can sort of be okay with and see how it’s possible but does this mean that some guy married a Klefki or Ninetales?

Apparently, there was no distinction between Pokemon and humans during antiquity but once civilization kept progressing it became less accepted by the more modern societies so it eventually stopped being a thing. I would also guess it was most likely happening with humanoid Pokemon since it seems less awkward that way maybe...

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Another creepy thing in the games the fact that DPPt mentions humans marrying Pokémon and implies it was a common thing which seems really really wrong.

Apparently, there was no distinction between Pokemon and humans during antiquity but once civilization kept progressing it became less accepted by the more modern societies so it eventually stopped being a thing. I would also guess it was most likely happening with humanoid Pokemon since it seems less awkward that way maybe...

Pokémon promotes bestiality?! :eek:

Now, why they don't use wheelchairs or something is a question in of itself.

In the manga, Pryce uses a wheelchair, and he's probably the very first Pokémon character to have some form of disability. In the games he seems pretty much able-bodied, but he does have a walking stick. Which makes you wonder... :rolleyes:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Sounds crazy, doesn't it? It was actually mentioned in a Sinnoh folk tale, the english localization made it more subtle though.
https://legendsoflocalization.com/did-you-know-people-used-to-marry-pokemon-all-the-time/

This isn't really creepy, more like weird, but in the Japanese version of Black 2/White 2, one of the people who ride with you on the Nimbasa Ferris wheel is actually a man disguised as a woman. In the English version she just says she's really hot in her suit. First transgender character in Pokémon? :D

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
This isn't really creepy, more like weird, but in the Japanese version of Black 2/White 2, one of the people who ride with you on the Nimbasa Ferris wheel is actually a man disguised as a woman. In the English version she just says she's really hot in her suit. First transgender character in Pokémon? :D

Well, there was also Beauty Nova in Battle Maison which claimed that she used to be a "Black Belt" trainer which is used for males half a year ago and that was quite a tranformation. I think this one takes the cake since we are talking about a person who is implied that she had a SRS. :p

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Well, there was also Beauty Nova in Battle Maison which claimed that she used to be a "Black Belt" trainer which is used for males half a year ago and that was quite a tranformation. I think this one takes the cake since we are talking about a person who is implied that she had a SRS. :p

In Japanese she says something like: "A year and a half ago I was a Karate King (Black Belt)! The power of medical science is amazing, isn't it?" Which seems to hint at this further. In English it's a bit more subtle, but they didn't totally write it out.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Darthlord7 said:

It definitely caught me off-guard when I read the dialogue, although in the sense of strangeness, a transgender NPC doesn't seem as creepy to me as the whole humans and Pokemon marrying each other thing.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I remember the Battle Maison one, where a Trainer in the Battle Maison is hinted to be transgender, which is more obvious in the Japanese version. But I think this one is more or so cross dressing.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I remember the Battle Maison one, where a Trainer in the Battle Maison is hinted to be transgender, which is more obvious in the Japanese version. But I think this one is more or so cross dressing.

The Pokémon anime has a long history of cross-dressing even before the games did it. Remember that classic episode where Ash had to disguise himself as 'Ashley' to get into Erika's Gym? Or the one where he dressed up as a maid? (I think that was during the Sinnoh series.)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The Pokémon anime has a long history of cross-dressing even before the games did it. Remember that classic episode where Ash had to disguise himself as 'Ashley' to get into Erika's Gym? Or the one where he dressed up as a maid? (I think that was during the Sinnoh series.)
I remember it happened several times to James too. The most recent example was in the Steenee evolution episode in Sun and Moon.

When we see Mr Fuji as a kind-hearted man in RBY/FRLG and then we find this journal left behind in the Pokémon Mansion in Cinnabar Island written by Dr Fuji. How would one expect such man to be involved in the creation of Mewtwo?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I remember it happened several times to James too. The most recent example was in the Steenee evolution episode in Sun and Moon.

And of course, the most infamous one, Beauty and the Beach, where James disguised himself as a girl with inflatable boobs. That episode was banned due to that and a few other things like an old man perving on Misty ("You remind me of my granddaughter!"), but it was aired on Cartoon Network in America once with heavy editing, and was never shown again.

In Japanese, the pervy old man says to Misty something like: "When you're eight years older, I'll date you!" Which highly implies that Misty is ten years old, and that the old man is a paedophile. :eek:

A few other episodes have also been banned because of some suggestive references, like the Kangaskhan Kid episode where the father of the kid ogles Misty (again), and she angrily slaps him down with "I'm a person, you creep!" In Japanese it's even less subtle, with the father visibly ogling at her breasts.

Kids' show, they say. :rolleyes:o_O

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
And of course, the most infamous one, Beauty and the Beach, where James disguised himself as a girl with inflatable boobs. That episode was banned due to that and a few other things like an old man perving on Misty ("You remind me of my granddaughter!"), but it was aired on Cartoon Network in America once with heavy editing, and was never shown again.

In Japanese, the pervy old man says to Misty something like: "When you're eight years older, I'll date you!" Which highly implies that Misty is ten years old, and that the old man is a paedophile. :eek:

A few other episodes have also been banned because of some suggestive references, like the Kangaskhan Kid episode where the father of the kid ogles Misty (again), and she angrily slaps him down with "I'm a person, you creep!" In Japanese it's even less subtle, with the father visibly ogling at her breasts.

Kids' show, they say. :rolleyes:o_O
That for some reason reminds me of the old man in front of the Celadon Gym in the games. He is excited because the Gym is 'full of women'. It just sounds creepy in some way considering their huge age gap.