• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scary/creepy/weird stuff in Pokémon (games, anime, manga etc.)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
That for some reason reminds me of the old man in front of the Celadon Gym in the games. He is excited because the Gym is 'full of women'. It just sounds creepy in some way considering their huge age gap.

In the remakes he just says "This Gym's great! It's full of strong Trainers!" But why did they even write it in the first place? o_O

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In the remakes he just says "This Gym's great! It's full of strong Trainers!" But why did they even write it in the first place? o_O
I don't know really. I believe it had an entirely different connotation back in the 90s. Maybe people weren't so sure why he wanted to meet these women.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I don't know really. I believe it had an entirely different connotation back in the 90s. Maybe people weren't so sure why he wanted to meet these women.

In Japan, the age of consent is 13, which is lower than many other countries (including the US) but higher than the Vatican City, whose age of consent is 12. That's probably why they're a bit more accepting of older men going after younger girls, whereas in the western world it'd be seen as incestuous or paedophilic.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In Japan, the age of consent is 13, which is lower than many other countries (including the US) but higher than the Vatican City, whose age of consent is 12. That's probably why they're a bit more accepting of older men going after younger girls, whereas in the western world it'd be seen as incestuous or paedophilic.
Oh. It's just that somehow that managed to bypass localisation for some weird reason. Even so, it's possible some of the girls in the Celadon Gym could be younger than 13 and that would definitely be a problem.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Oh. It's just that somehow that managed to bypass localisation for some weird reason. Even so, it's possible some of the girls in the Celadon Gym could be younger than 13 and that would definitely be a problem.

Most of the Gym Leaders look at least in their teens or early 20s. However Misty is said to be ten in the anime and twelve in the manga, and Iris is also said to be twelve. Brock I think is fifteen or sixteen, and Lt. Surge and Blaine look a lot older, possibly in their 40s-50s or above.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Most of the Gym Leaders look at least in their teens or early 20s. However Misty is said to be ten in the anime and twelve in the manga, and Iris is also said to be twelve. Brock I think is fifteen or sixteen, and Lt. Surge and Blaine look a lot older, possibly in their 40s-50s or above.
I meant some of the Trainers in the Gym. As we have known, Trainers usually start to go out at the age of 10. So some of the Trainers are still children and may not entered the adolescence stage of development.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy

That would probably explain.

Also perhaps the fact that Pokémon didn’t have as many standards to live up to as it does today.. but still it was very popular by the first time the games dropped so very disturbing indeed

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I meant some of the Trainers in the Gym. As we have known, Trainers usually start to go out at the age of 10. So some of the Trainers are still children and may not entered the adolescence stage of development.

The Black/White trainers are older though, they're said to be 15-16 when they set out on their journeys. So did their parents have some common sense when they were 10 and not let them go out on their own into the scary world filled with wild animals and evil criminal masterminds which could potentially severely injure or kill them? o_O

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The Black/White trainers are older though, they're said to be 15-16 when they set out on their journeys. So did their parents have some common sense when they were 10 and not let them go out on their own into the scary world filled with wild animals and evil criminal masterminds which could potentially severely injure or kill them? o_O
Or maybe they just set out on their adventure late. The NPC Trainers are literally able to stand 24/7 without eating or going to sleep, hoping for another Trainer to pass by. For some reason I find that weird and creepy because I wonder how they are able to maintain that energy for so long.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
The 10 year thing is an anime-only concept. There's no rule stating you need to be a certain age to be a Trainer in the games.

That's why we can battle Kindergartners and take their money, like the monsters we are.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The 10 year thing is an anime-only concept. There's no rule stating you need to be a certain age to be a Trainer in the games.

That's why we can battle Kindergartners and take their money, like the monsters we are.
What I find bizarre is some games have these kids actually happy when they lose. I think it was XY that does this or maybe SM/USUM. I can’t reme but I know it was on of the 3DS games where the artwork for the kid losing has them laughing.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:

Seems like an edit that might've partially been done to prevent claims of sexism, although the original dialogue did seem kind of creepy since the old man was essentially peeping through the window.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
What I find bizarre is some games have these kids actually happy when they lose. I think it was XY that does this or maybe SM/USUM. I can’t reme but I know it was on of the 3DS games where the artwork for the kid losing has them laughing.

Maybe because they're saying it's okay to lose every now and then?

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Seems like an edit that might've partially been done to prevent claims of sexism, although the original dialogue did seem kind of creepy since the old man was essentially peeping through the window.

The Japanese version of HGSS has it completely unchanged, so definitely.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Yeah but I remember a Youngster in DPPt saying he borrowed a Magikarp from his father. So because of that it’s possible Preschoolers could borrow Pokémon from older Trainers and command them in battle. Even so we have a minimum age for trial-goers in Alola, which is 11, so thinking about it, it might be a minimum age to obtain Badges participate in the Pokémon League rather than owning a Pokémon. So it wouldn’t be as weird as I originally thought due to inconsistencies between the games and the anime.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yeah but I remember a Youngster in DPPt saying he borrowed a Magikarp from his father. So because of that it’s possible Preschoolers could borrow Pokémon from older Trainers and command them in battle. Even so we have a minimum age for trial-goers in Alola, which is 11, so thinking about it, it might be a minimum age to obtain Badges participate in the Pokémon League rather than owning a Pokémon. So it wouldn’t be as weird as I originally thought due to inconsistencies between the games and the anime.

Bonnie had her Dedenne caught for her by Clemont since she's too young (she probably looks about six or seven). Max also had Pokémon caught for him by his older sister May because he's also seven years old. So the anime writers probably misinterpreted the 'start your journey at ten years old' rule and took it to mean you can't have your own Pokémon before you're ten. Yet little preschool kids in the games can have their own pets which breathe fire or deal million-volt electric shocks with no regard for their safety. o_O

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Bonnie had her Dedenne caught for her by Clemont since she's too young (she probably looks about six or seven). Max also had Pokémon caught for him by his older sister May because he's also seven years old. So the anime writers probably misinterpreted the 'start your journey at ten years old' rule and took it to mean you can't have your own Pokémon before you're ten. Yet little preschool kids in the games can have their own pets which breathe fire or deal million-volt electric shocks with no regard for their safety. o_O
Depends on what Pokémon they get, but they usually get the cutsie weeny ones because it's assumed they won't do too much harm to their Trainers.

Somehow I find the striking resemblance to Hau'oli City at the Ultra Ruin creepy. Imagine a post-apocalyptic world where there is the music is partially reversed to that of the Hau'oli City theme.

Cat's Eye Draco

I don't remember May catching Max anything. I mean, I remember that he spent a lot of time with her Munchlax, but she didn't catch it for him. She caught it because it was the only Pokemon she could find that liked her Pokeblocks.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
For some reason I used to find the Persian statues in the Rocket HQ in GSC/HGSS creepy earlier on. Combined with the eerie music, the glowing red eyes and the fact they were capable of detecting objects in front of them, it felt like they were watching me as I passed them. And also consider the fact Team Rocket grunts will instantly arrive once the player moves past one.