• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scary Hospitality! (875)

Pikachu52

It was okay.

Pikachu was very cute in this episode, especially when he was rubbing his face agaisnt that towel - Nawwww. And it was adorable when he clung to Ash and closed his eyes when scared of the Gengar for the first time.

That aside the plot of having a group of Gengar and Haunter scare people as a way of having fun doesn't really have much of an impact. Of all the ghost Pokémon Gengar and it's pre-evolved forms aren't particulary scary. In my opinion Litwick, Lampent and Chandelure are the scariest Ghost types because of the way they burn peoples souls. Confagrigus is scary too. For an episode based on ghost types I felt it left alot to be desired - The BW episode Scare at Litwick Mansion has more to say for itself than this episode did. At least there the Litwick and Lampent were actually trying to kill Ash and his friends (and Team Rocket), not just provided scary hospitality. And in any case. Ash has met Gengar before and Clemont being a scientists should know about the existance of ghost types - so when all the scary things started to happen why didn't one of them at least think it's probably a Pokémon?

I give it 6/10 - points for cute Pikachu scenes

Last edited:

redsheep

The English VAs were very good this episode. You can tell they perform better when their characters actually have stuff to do. Serena and Clemont especially.

T sort of continue off from my post in the last episode thread, this is another kind of episode I always like seeing in this show.
In this one, the gang ends up finding shelter from a storm in the regions "token scary/haunted-looking house" location.

You'd think they'd be used to how these locations work by now.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Very interesting twist near the end, it left me entertained.

I also enjoyed hearing/seeing the ghost story from the game appear in the anime. Nice little touch on that.

Seeing the Gengar family in this mansion reminded me of the Tower of Terror. Except there was no death involved in this episode, and felt relatively more playful and harmless. That's where the episode felt short.

It was cute how Bonnie was the opposite of scared when encountering the abnormality of the mansion + ghosts in general. Serena freaking out was over the top, but enjoyable performance from the Haven's portrayal.

Still, the episode ending got me some chills.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
A pesky ghost pokémon episode. Even though nothing noteworthy occured, I really liked it.

All the gangs reactions and facial expressions were hilarious and it's always nice to see the Gastly line. Also, that twist at the end was spooky.

Nice episode onto the next one!

JudySpell

Banned
I like Ghost types so I was okay with seeing Gastly and the others even though the plot wasn't exactly the best thing ever. Good filler. 6.5/10

Nyter

Island Challenger
This episode was funny. I like that Clemont got very paranoid and Serena in scary situations makes me laugh. Cole being dead was definitely gonna be a given. And Team Rocket in the end was funny as well. I liked the root...

4 out of 5 stars

matt0044

Did the Gengar play a different tune on the piano in the dub?

Alloutℯ

Banned
I like how Bonnie is fearless while everyone else is so antsy just like the Espurr episode. I did not really expect the man to be a ghost in the end. It's a nice twist. I also like how they left the mansion unknowingly in the end.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
If the shows makers had gone a bit further with the scary story thought process, this could have been very interesting but it still came out ok, I would say.

The writers simply aren't capable of giving us well thought out scary subplots, which is why this episode felt so mediocre despite the opportunity to be creepy.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The haunted mansion in this episode was reminiscent of the one close to Kunoe City in the games, yet this ended up being a typical tale of Ghost Pokemon shenanigans, which we've all seen far too often. I wasn't stimulated by such a derisive plot.

I thought this episode was quite good. But it felt pointless for the dub to not mention the word dead when Lon reveals himself to be a ghost, because kids should already know the basics of being a ghost. And Serena's VA has gotten way more emotional than ever for this episode, and it's during her breakdown moments. I loved that. I think the episode should have capitalized on that mystery by having Clemont fight his fears.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Serena doing her spooky voice was honestly the highlight of this episode for me. XY had some flaws, but I loved when it showcased each cast member's quirks like we saw here.