• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scientology, meet Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clash

He's Back!
A copyright violation claim by the Church of Scientology against the posting of one of its videos to YouTube has prompted a full-on assault by a group calling itself Anonymous.

The video, in which Tom Cruise proclaims, in part, that Scientologists are the only experts on the mind, was pulled by YouTube over the weekend at the request of the Church of Scientology as part of a long-standing effort to keep copyrighted material from appearing on the Internet. Other sites have since posted the Cruise video in full.

In response to the take-down of the Cruise video, a group of vigilantes--calling themselves Anonymous, or Anon--have retaliated against what they consider to be Internet censorship. The group includes computer experts capable of Internet mischief. In recent days, local chapter sites for the Church of Scientology have been defaced, and in some cases denial of service attacks have also prevented access to the same sites. Real-world attacks have included fax-spamming those same offices.

As an explanation for these attacks, Anonymous posted its own video to YouTube. In the video, a computer-generated voice speaks over a rolling cloudscape, effectively putting the Church of Scientology on notice

http://www.news.com/8301-10789_3-9857666-57.html

I only quoted what I thought was necessary, go to the source for the full story.

I think it's about time somebody put away with the uselessness of scientology. Discuss.

Divine_Light

Espeon will own all!
Scientology is an evil cult that must be stopped, yet. Anon isn't good either. Yes, The memes may be funny but they harass people. Yet again, So does Scientology. Lol breaking first two rules xD

Profesco

gone gently
There's certainly an ominous air about this so-called religion. If Anonymous can put Scientology to work to prove its worth, then fine. If Scientology can't show them up, and has to end, that's fine too.

But I'd rather Anonymous's attempts failed. We don't want internet vigilantes running around. They may become full of themselves and their righteous power *sarcasm* and decide to go afer other things they disagree with.

Leafsong

Swift and silent
What I don't get about Scientology is that they're so incredibly protective.
Most religions are incredibly open, and more importantly, free to join and take part in.

Scientology keeps claiming it's not a cult, yet it's the most protective and aggressive religion in the world AFAIK.

Still, this might be Anon vs. Anon too. Who knows who ACTUALLY took down 711chan.

Ethan

Banned
I'm going to sue your ass

I admit that cults have a negative stigma attached to them. When one thinks of a cult we think of new age spirituality, hypnosis, and the like. In reality a cult is simply a belief dealing with the supernatural such as "occult." Even Christianity was a cult at one time. Just not in the sense that we view the word cult now. The whole message of Judaism is that a new religion will come forth from it so Christianity has in a sense been spared from the humilation of being labeled as a "spinoff" How ever if something branched from say Christianity like Mormonism for example people look upon that with negativity because Christianity or more specificly the new testament does not prophecy about a new religion. The new testament prophecies about the second coming of Christ however he does not found a new code of beliefs. What is normally viewed as cultish is for example taking one scripture from the new testament and making an entire religion out of it. So we lable them "cults" intead of "religions" Hopefully you understand what I am saying here. So I don't consider scientology a cult because as far as I know there are no major religions that it spun off from but a cult strictly in the spiritual sense.

Last edited:

Ridley-X4

UN-LTD AWESOME WORKS
LULZ IS A CORRUPTION OF LOL, WHICH STANDS FOR LAUGH OUT LOUD.

Josh will be angry. You won't like Josh when he's angry.

Eszett

one love
Eh, this is more suited for Misc if you ask me - we tend to consolidate news articles like this in that section.

That being said, I really do hope this results in some sort of cataclysm that brings both groups down. They each have too much righteousness and are too headstrong for their own good, especially considering the positions they occupy in society. Scientology is comprised mainly of unstable celebrities who desire more attention than they already receive, while the regular 4channers have a unhealthy-large grandiose image of themselves as an agent of nefarious change in this world. Both are pestilences to society and would better the world if their organizational systems were to suddenly go defunct.

Raito

HADOUKEN!
Hoping for all out war between the two groups that will kill off both of them

but I'm rooting for anonymous! no DDoS attacks plix!

Exxthus

Head AlwaysHeld High
Eh, this is more suited for Misc if you ask me - we tend to consolidate news articles like this in that section.

That being said, I really do hope this results in some sort of cataclysm that brings both groups down. They each have too much righteousness and are too headstrong for their own good, especially considering the positions they occupy in society. Scientology is comprised mainly of unstable celebrities who desire more attention than they already receive, while the regular 4channers have a unhealthy-large grandiose image of themselves as an agent of nefarious change in this world. Both are pestilences to society and would better the world if their organizational systems were to suddenly go defunct.

Oooh, an absolute end! What a wonderful solution. =D

In the end, they'll probably shut up, though. If the issue becomes big enough, ironically, I can easily see it become a meme itself. More copypasta for internet CrySpace lulz. The fact of the matter is, no matter how stolid and Serious they are, it just becomes fodder for future ridicule. In a way, they will blow each other up.

Status
Not open for further replies.