• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scratchmark Hill, Rockruff and Lycanroc!! (958)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Scratchmark Hill, Rockruff and Lycanroc!!

Rockruff has returned covered in scratches. Upon investigation, Ash & Kukui decide to record what Rockruff has been up to in order to find the situation. However, on looking at the footage, they see that Rockruff has been leaving the house every night to train so Ash decides to help it train up to become stronger. Will they succeed and find out why Rockruff has been training?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
No new intro disappoints me :/

Low key "social gathering of violence" going on

Ash and Kukui are literally the same person xD

Last edited:

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Really enjoying this episode, love the idea of Pokemon Fight Club. Great plot.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Brofist of Rockruff and Pikachu. Me like.

Kiawe is relevant...so good. Alola!! in the background is great to hear.

Annnd...we see what we already knew thanks to the magazine.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Great episode, Ash really deserves Rockruff.

Soniman

Break the Limit
This was actually a very good training/bonding/capture episode, Ash's character was really on point here

Holy157

Loved this episode. Rockruff trying his best to rip the Substitute open. Yes, violence is the lesson we want the kids to learn.

The training scene might be one of my favorite scenes in SM so far, and we got to hear the rest of Alola! which was great.

Kiawe pulling his best Alain impression when it comes to calling out Flamethrower. I like it.

The 3 Magikarps were a bit random, but they certainly made me laugh.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Really enjoyable episode in the end, Rockruff is my favourite member of the pokemon gang at the moment, it was a really good training episode, and the whole fight club scenario feels like something we haven't seen before. I'm getting a sense that Rockruff will evolve into Midnight form now, based on the fact that it was cheering on the Midday form when it battled, I can see it wanting to evolve into Midday form, but when it eventually evolves, it turns into Midnight form and doesn't like what its evolved into, bringing on anger issues.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
So Rockruff and Ash go through some 'training' together! Was really nice to see them bonding with each other. Oh yes, Rockruff defeated Magmar all by itself. And as expected, the episode ends with Ash catching Rockruff? Wonderful satisfactory episode, 9/10. 1 point deducted because of the booty shaking scene, I didn't like that.

izmir

Rock Throw's animation resembles the old version of Stone edge.

I have been waiting for Rockruff. Great episode.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Rock Throw's animation resembles the old version of Stone edge.

I have been waiting for Rockruff. Great episode.

Yeah, I actually like older animation of Stone Edge more and I'm glad that Rock Throw in SM looks like that.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Great episode this week, one of the stronger capture episodes we’ve had in a long while for Ash. This episode excellently conveyed the growing bond between Ash and Rockruff, mostly in part due to good pacing and striking a wonderful balance for Ash’s character that portray him as a goofball but also a serious trainer that is able to bring out the best in his Pokemon.

First off, I like the idea of this Pokemon Fight Club, because it showed that Pokemon don’t need humans to have a love for battle and healthy competition, it’s not shown as some sinister seedy underground violent fighting ring, and for an anime like Pokemon some shades of gray and depth like that is very welcome

But going back to the training, god man I love training episodes lol, some may find it boring but I always eat this **** up. I loved seeing Ash find creative ways to train Rockruff and play to its strengths, SM thankfully reaffirmed my beliefs in that it does a good job balancing Ash’s goofier characteristics with his competent trainer side. Rica got some good lines in the episode, and give Ash a more “funnier” voice on some of them that felt pretty natural overall.

I also like how Rockruffs love of fighting wasn’t portrayed as “unhealthy” or something that “corrupted” Rockruff’s otherwise friendly demeanor. It was seen as something perfectly normal and Ash and Kukui were all for helping him get stronger so he can stand a chance in the Fight Club. By the end of the episode I can say Ash and Rockruff make a good team, I’m sure Kukui will miss him but he can rest easy knowing he’s in good hands.

Janovy

Banned
I missed a part of this episode, did anyone talk about Rockruff's evolution, its requirements or whether Rockruff has any specific desires to evolve?

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
I missed a part of this episode, did anyone talk about Rockruff's evolution, its requirements or whether Rockruff has any specific desires to evolve?

I don't speak Japanese, but Rotomdex displayed Rockruff, and Midday and Midnight Lycanroc, it could have perhaps explained how it evolves there. Rockruff didn't display any signs of which is wanted to evolve into, but cheered on Midday form when it was fighting Midnight form, so maybe that's a suggestion that it wants to become a Midday form, which if that's the case, I want it to evolve into Midnight (even though I prefer Midday).

Cuddy

Cyndaquil Master
One thing I see is that Rockruff was a wild Pokemon afterall. It did not belong to anyone, according that Ash caught it with a Pokeball instead of giving the Pokeball from the professor.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Rockruff evolving into one form while preferring the other could be an interesting arc.

Hoping that fight club isn't a one off.

NPT

Just a member
The SM intro song was used as an insert song in this episode, which is cool and all... but I hope they don't overuse it like they did with Volt and XY&Z.

Last edited:

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
awesome episode. really loved the training segment with ash and rockruff.

also kukui at the end during the pokeproblem segment lmao: "the answer is rockruff! what, did you think it was my pokemon?"

Janovy

Banned
Rockruff evolving into one form while preferring the other could be an interesting arc.

Hoping that fight club isn't a one off.
Rockruff evolving into Midnight form only to find it has issues controlling its bloodlust and then struggling with it?

Yes please!