• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scratchmark Hill, Rockruff and Lycanroc!! (958)

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Rockruff evolving into Midnight form only to find it has issues controlling its bloodlust and then struggling with it?

Yes please!

I'd love to see this, but I doubt it would happen :(

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
The Pokemon fight club was really nice. And Rockruff participated in the Pokemon fight club, it really has the drive to become strong. It will do great with Ash! Ash, you got a great capture, it has the potential to become one of your greatest Pokemon!

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I was a bit surprised at how they made Accelerock look. It works but I didn't expect it to be a two-stage move (assuming that the Quick Attack-style move after the rock barrage was part of Acclerock of course). I kind of expected it to just be the rocks on Lycanroc's mane glowing/lengthening and then a Quick Attack-style blitz as its description its simply that the user smashes into the target at high speed.

I continue to be impressed with how smooth the battle animations are in Sun/Moon. Movements like these were usually reserved for only the highest quality XY episodes. It compensates for Ash's less-mature-looking redesign in my opinion.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I know Ash getting Rockruff was already spoiled by the magazine scans and previews, but since I've been waiting for this moment, I have to say this anyway:

ASH CAUGHT ROCKRUFF!

*throws confetti everywhere*

With that out of my system... I loved this episode! Not only did it excellently convey the bond between Ash and Rockruff, but it also did a wonderful job of showing how Ash, despite his goofiness, is able to bring out the best in a Pokémon, even one who is not his own. It also showed just how much he cares about Pokémon; Professor Kukui had to stop him more than once from intervening in Rockruff’s battle against Magmar; and if I understood correctly, Ash said he just couldn't leave Rockruff alone (when he offered to help it train). It was also cute how, each time Ash, Pikachu, and Rockruff were napping, Ash had his arm around Rockruff or his hand draped over Rockruff.

So...it appears head banging like a rock star helps Rockruff activate Rock Throw. What...? And how does head banging cause Pikachu to generate an Electro Ball? (Although the fact that Pikachu practically passed out after head banging was hilarious.) And that doesn't quite explain all the booty shaking, Ash!

I actually like the Pokémon Fight Club idea. It showed one way wild Pokémon work to get stronger on their own, and it also showed that it’s perfectly natural for Pokémon to want to battle and get stronger. It seemed the Fight Club was "organized" by the two Lycanroc, who called the start of each meeting by howling. (Anyone else notice that Midday and Midnight's howls were slightly different pitches, with Midnight's being a little deeper? Nice touch.) Also, I appreciated that neither Lycanroc form was portrayed as "better" or "less evil" than the other. They happen to be opponents in the Fight Club matches, but that kind of makes sense. (Also, thank Arceus Midnight Lycanroc didn't look quite as possessed in this episode as it does in the games. I may be warming up to the glowing-eyed werewolf.)

Who here guessed that Rockruff was a wild Pokémon who happened to be in Kukui's care? Kudos to you, because you were right. (It appears the way Rockruff ended up in Kukui's care had something to do with Pokémon food, but I didn't quite catch what.) Still, it's clear Kukui is very fond of Rockruff, so Kukui telling Ash he should be Rockruff's Trainer was still a nice, touching moment.

Also, Ash, you've been hanging around Principal Oak for too long. That Magmar impression was totally not necessary. :p

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Battling has always been depicted as something pokemon do for fun and self-improvement even without trainers, but yeah this is probably the largest-scale "organized" battling event we've seen in wild pokemon.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Since I knew what was going to happen from the magazine scans, the biggest thing that surprised me is the fact that Prof. Kukui didn't properly catch Rockruff himself because of how Ash was able to catch it with one of his pokéballs. If anything, I thought the professor would give Ash Rockruff's pokéball that he used to catch it, making it similar to when Ash got Oshawott or when Clemont got Chespin

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Since I knew what was going to happen from the magazine scans, the biggest thing that surprised me is the fact that Prof. Kukui didn't properly catch Rockruff himself since Ash was able to catch it with one of his pokéballs. If anything, I thought the professor would give Ash Rockruff's pokéball that he used to catch it, making it similar to when Ash got Oshawott or when Clemont got Chespin

Apparently, Rockruff was never actually Prof. Kukui's Pokémon, but a wild Pokémon who was in Kukui's care. How Rockruff ended up in Kukui's care had something to do with Pokémon food, but I didn't quite catch what else Ash said. Still, as I said in my earlier post, it's clear Kukui is very fond of Rockruff (and Rockruff is probably very fond of Kukui), so that Kukui told Ash to be Rockruff's Trainer, and even said (if I understood correctly) that Ash would be the best partner for Rockruff, was still a nice, touching moment.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It's not like Midday was not above being the violent type.

It's just that it was a wild one with no trainer. Therefore, there was no reason for it to NOT be violent.

Also, Ash. Never shake your booty. It doesn't work on protagonists less that 15 years old.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I've been busy lately and haven't been around to check spoilers so I was pleasantly surprised to see a capture today. Decent episode but a boring debut for the Lycanrocs.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
And Ash finally caught something good and valuable to his team this series. Yay!

I didn't notice that they went back to using the AG/D&P animation style for the flames until this episode aired, also, Ash finally has a doggo now, so that's two reasons for me to be very happy <3

They actually made good use of time during this episode. The Poké fight club and the training scenes were executed perfectly imo, this is my new favorite episode of S&M, oh my god~.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
It's Review Time~!

-I really love that Prof Kukui is hosting the Pokémon Problem slot this time! :D

-I like that parental feel I got when Prof Kukui told Ash where his backpack is supposed to go. A nice change in his character, he isn't always chill and relaxed all the time.

-Wow! I never saw a Pokémon actually react to a Hyper Potion! That really looked like how we react when alcohol is rubbed on our wounds! :eek: Poor Rockruff getting hurt.

-Bwhahaha!!! Why did Komala just randomly roll its way to the water?!

-Wait... Rockruff isn't Prof Kukui's Pokemon?! We're learning so much that happened off screen!

-Rockruff is becoming more aggressive. These Pokémon are sure enjoying the battle.

-Great save there. Ash was going to ruin why Rockruff would be there.

-Rotom is starting to understand Ash's ways. ;) Did Ash just channel his inner Principal Oak or Prof Kukui when he made that face? And then Rotom is probably the only person who called out Ash's grunting explanations.

-I'm really liking Ash's special training.

-Yay! Rockruff learned Rock Throw! That special training really showed its improvement! Good job Rockruff for defeating the Magmar!

-Ash caught Rockruff!!!! :D Ash truly is his most trusted partner!

-It's kind of funny how everyone runs with Ash

Well that was a pretty nice episode! I loved seeing this new tough side of Rockruff that we don't get to see. It's more than just a cute affectionate puppy. And Ash did his best in trying to help Rockruff achieve a new move (Rock Throw). I was in awe on the differences of how each fight went. We saw how Rockruff improved and how it's influenced by Ash's battling style (flipping at the last minute to dodge an attack and enduring without giving up.) I was touched by Kukui's speech about how Rockruff is Ash's partner and how he feels more than happy that it's with Ash. I'm surprised it isn't his Pokémon. I really liked the scene where Rockruff roars in sync with the 2 different formed Lycanroc at the night sky. I hope we get to see more of Rockruff battling!!

uber gon

Accept Change
Ash is going to need to wear protection if he decides to teach Rockruff Stone Edge......

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
-I like that parental feel I got when Prof Kukui told Ash where his backpack is supposed to go. A nice change in his character, he isn't always chill and relaxed all the time.

I didn't comment on that scene in my original post, but I liked that, too. It makes you feel like Prof. Kukui truly is Ash's surrogate father while he is in Alola, and that's nice.

-Wow! I never saw a Pokémon actually react to a Hyper Potion! That really looked like how we react when alcohol is rubbed on our wounds! :eek: Poor Rockruff getting hurt.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hyper Potions actually contain alcohol or iodine or some other chemical that stings or burns when applied to a wound. >_<

satoharupika said:
-Bwhahaha!!! Why did Komala just randomly roll its way to the water?!

Because it's always asleep and apparently doesn't pay attention to where it's rolling. :p (Seriously, I have no idea what was up with that. Is the koala trying to drown itself?)

satoharupika said:
I really liked the scene where Rockruff roars in sync with the 2 different formed Lycanroc at the night sky. I hope we get to see more of Rockruff battling!!

Is it bad that I laughed at the scene? I understand that it was a meaningful moment, but to be honest, due to the pitch of Rockruff's voice, it sounded more like it was screaming than roaring or howling--and it stood out more when paired with the actual howls of the two Lycanroc.

Speaking of which... I like how Midday Lycanroc and Midnight Lycanroc seemed legitimately interested in Rockruff's battle with Magmar. Perhaps I get that impression because the camera happened to focus on them as the Rockruff vs. Magmar battle was starting, and unlike the other Fight Club members, who were cheering, the two werewolves were just watching intently.