• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scratchmark Hill, Rockruff and Lycanroc!! (958)

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Good to see Popplio is still making balloons. :p

So Pokemon Fight Club ehh, good idea actually. I liked the way both Midnight and Midday Lycanroc signal all the Pokemon to get it started too.

The way Ash helps trains Rockruff and helps it to learn to use Rock Throw was pretty cool. This was good way to remind people that even though Ash looks and acts a bit differently, he's the still same Ash on the inside who will help a Pokemon through his emotion. Was also nice seeing Kiawe and his Turtonator be involved in the training also, made perfect sense. The other thing I liked as well is seeing the amount of screentime Prof. Kukui received and his overall role in this episode, had a parental feel the whole time.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Is it bad that I laughed at the scene? I understand that it was a meaningful moment, but to be honest, due to the pitch of Rockruff's voice, it sounded more like it was screaming than roaring or howling--and it stood out more when paired with the actual howls of the two Lycanroc.

Speaking of which... I like how Midday Lycanroc and Midnight Lycanroc seemed legitimately interested in Rockruff's battle with Magmar. Perhaps I get that impression because the camera happened to focus on them as the Rockruff vs. Magmar battle was starting, and unlike the other Fight Club members, who were cheering, the two werewolves were just watching intently.
I thought it was touching but maybe it could be a bit comical in that sense. :p

I did like that they were watching intently as well. It was like they were watching the next Rockruff that'll surpass them or join them.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Too bad in-game it sucks as either evolution...
Really? In-game they are faster than most Alolan pokemon (Midday form being the fastest Rock type period after Minior and Aerodactyl) and a high attack stat. Their movepools are a bit sparse but they're good enough in-game.

Speaking of which... I like how Midday Lycanroc and Midnight Lycanroc seemed legitimately interested in Rockruff's battle with Magmar. Perhaps I get that impression because the camera happened to focus on them as the Rockruff vs. Magmar battle was starting, and unlike the other Fight Club members, who were cheering, the two werewolves were just watching intently.
I'm thinking to them it was unusual/notable to see a pokemon improve so much so quickly, perhaps they even wandered if someone had been helping it. Or they're just bound to take an interest in a member of their own species.

Last edited:

Cat's Eye Draco

Who here guessed that Rockruff was a wild Pokémon who happened to be in Kukui's care? Kudos to you, because you were right. (It appears the way Rockruff ended up in Kukui's care had something to do with Pokémon food, but I didn't quite catch what.) Still, it's clear Kukui is very fond of Rockruff, so Kukui telling Ash he should be Rockruff's Trainer was still a nice, touching moment.

Might have been me. I recall questioning once whether or not it was outright stated that Kukui owned Rockruff, and suggesting that it may be under his care as some kind of wildlife rescue ('cause anything is possible), and I think we all came to conclusion that Rockruff probably was his Pokémon because it was implied in SM02 that he was going to use it in a battle against Ash before they were interrupted. But, even if only partially, I was right! Yay! *throws confetti*

Ash is going to need to wear protection if he decides to teach Rockruff Stone Edge......

Definitely. I couldn't help but cringe when he tried to deflect that rock throw with his arms. (That's right Ash; block the rocks with your rare and likely expensive Z-Ring... :p)

Last edited:

dman_dustin

I really like this episode because it illustrated a huge issue about assumptions people make, including me (like thinking Litten was going to be caught), and I feel like this was a really big troll by the anime producers.

We didn't see Rockruff's Poke ball, Kukui never stated it was his, and just like Ash's classmates we mostly all of us assumed it was Kukui's Rockruff, but then this episode happens and its like "OH, YOU thought Rockruff was Kukui's? Why would you think that? LMAO!"

And I found that ultimately hilarious, and keep in mind this is 15th episode too (so it isn't like they could gauge people's reactions to Ash and Rockruff with Kukui), the anime producers knew what they were doing and wanted to troll everyone.

Good.

Outside of that, this was an incredibly adorable episode, and I'm glad Ash got Rockruff.

The only weird thing is what is up with these Pokemon scene transitions? I mean did we need to see three magikarp being washed up? .....oh well. But this might be my overall favorite episode so far, it was fun, adorable, and had some funny moments and action.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
The way Ash helps trains Rockruff and helps it to learn to use Rock Throw was pretty cool. This was good way to remind people that even though Ash looks and acts a bit differently, he's the still same Ash on the inside who will help a Pokemon through his emotion. Was also nice seeing Kiawe and his Turtonator be involved in the training also, made perfect sense. The other thing I liked as well is seeing the amount of screentime Prof. Kukui received and his overall role in this episode, had a parental feel the whole time.

I really liked Prof. Kukui's role in this episode. Not only did he feel more like a parent (reminding Ash where his backpack belonged, telling him to be patient and not get involved in the Fight Club), but the entire time, he was closely watching Ash and how he interacted with Rockruff. (He even commented that he liked Ash's way of doing things.) Overall, the buildup to Kukui offering Rockruff to Ash was nicely done.

I also liked how shocked Ash's friends were that Ash used himself as a target for Rockruff's Rock Throw (while Pikachu did not seem the least bit surprised). Once again, Ash continues to astound the people around him with his unorthodox way of doing things. And it was a nice touch that it was Lillie--the new Trainer, and the one with the least amount of hands-on experience with Pokémon--who asked, "Wouldn't that hurt?" while the other students were just bewildered at Ash's recklessness.

Definitely. I couldn't help but cringe when he tried to deflect that rock throw with his arms. (That's right Ash; block the rocks with your rare and likely expensive Z-Ring... :p)

Oh, we all know Tapu Koko would just steal another Z-Ring from Hala to give to Ash.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I only have one question.

why was everyone shocked at Ash getting hit by Rock Throw and what were they saying?

I guess since Kakui didn't actually own the thing that makes it's capture ok, now of course comes the debates on what form it will evolve into.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I've always seen being so willing to take on a pokemon's attacks directly as being a great way to earn their respect and camaraderie. Not only are you showing that you are willing to feel what they feel when they are attacked, you also show you are tough enough to handle it.

And speaking of taking on attacks, I sure hope we get to see Kukui do it at some point as he is famous for it as a research method. He is so much more laid-back in the anime compared to the games, so I was happy he at least joined in the jog at the end of this episode.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I love how Rotom always takes this self-parodying role, ridiculing a lot of the 'tvshow-logic' like "If you try hard enough, you can do anything, because it's your dream!", whenever such arguments show up Rotom is just there being derpy and confused. It's like the writers are not only aware of the lack of logic or realism in the show's goals and payoffs but they even point it out and then simply don't care for the powers of love, plot, and friendship. The show doesn't take itself too seriously by being self-parodying and I like that.

I've always seen being so willing to take on a pokemon's attacks directly as being a great way to earn their respect and camaraderie. Not only are you showing that you are willing to feel what they feel when they are attacked, you also show you are tough enough to handle it.

Ash must be really close with Pikachu then, how often has he been zapped in the series so far?

DotKU

Champion
A pretty good episode, definitely in my favorites for SM now. It's gonna be cool seeing Rockruff in action as the series goes on!

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
SM seems to emphasise bonds a lot.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
qhen Ash start seriously bonding with his classmates then??? Weve got a little with Lana and Kiwae but I need moreee

Never? He ditches all his companions at season's end anyway.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
You know thats not an excuse man lol

Yeah I know xD

I would hope there is development throughout the saga. I'm thinking right now they're just fleshing out individuals (and hope for more interactions down the line, so far it's Ash's adventures with guest stars SM crew)

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I like that they actually showed Ash's way of training outside of battling and just using onomatopoeia for Ash's way of explaining like they did when Ash was trying to explain evolution to Bonnie. We see Ash and Pikachu working together with Rockruff to learn a new move by bobbing their head, shaking their butt, dodging the exact fire type move, and slowly building up the power to summon Rock Throw ("Remember the feelings that occurred when you tell yourself, I want to beat Magmar!") We can also see how much Rockruff and Ash have bonded in the past episodes to now.

And yes I loved the role Prof Kukui had. He was very involved in this episode, mostly with Ash and we get snippets of the father-son connection they have. It gave off that feeling like how whenever Ash's feelings are deep on something (like he starts to panic or get really worried), He says "Professor!" rather than Prof Kukui. It gave me the impression of a relationship between surrogant parent and child, just the way Kukui looked at Ash, how he speaks of him, how Ash trusts Kukui's intuition, and just the way they interact. It's like Ash went from a kid who Kukui had to host because he had to go to school to a kid he sees as someone he treats as his own and can't imagine not at home, maybe even surpassing him one day. I'll really like to see their relationship showcased again. I always thought Ash and Kukui having a father-son relationship was just wishful thinking by the random. :)

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I don't speak Japanese, but Rotomdex displayed Rockruff, and Midday and Midnight Lycanroc, it could have perhaps explained how it evolves there.

It did. It's been simplified to "evolves into the Midday Form during the day and the Midnight Form during the night", though.