• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scratchmark Hill, Rockruff and Lycanroc!! (958)

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I hope Rockruff continues going there. That was a great place to hone its skills and learn how to defend itself against different level and type Pokémon. The Pokémon Fight Club should make another appearance. Meowth should go there as well to get better at battling.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I hope Rockruff continues going there. That was a great place to hone its skills and learn how to defend itself against different level and type Pokémon. The Pokémon Fight Club should make another appearance. Meowth should go there as well to get better at battling.

Pfft, Meowth would get creamed on his first match...and then chicken out and hightail it out of there. :p

Yeah, it would be nice if this isn't the last we see of Scratchmark Hill and the Pokémon Fight Club. It would also be nice if this isn't the last we see of those two Lycanroc. It would be interesting if Ash runs into them again (perhaps when his own Rockruff has evolved).

DatsRight

Pfft, Meowth would get creamed on his first match...and then chicken out and hightail it out of there. :p

Then return disguised as a refreshment stand for the participants. XD

I admit this was a good episode, worked well with interactions. Aspects like Rockruff and Kukui's interaction with Ash, stuff that had only minor but noticeable spotlight in previous episodes, really comes together here. Interesting premise with Rockruff being a wild Pokemon that just instinctively became loyal, like Kukui was intentionally waiting for the right trainer to partner it with. Some good mentor stuff here without diminishing any of Ash's competence. (Funny how we see more of people teaching Ash effectively OUTSIDE the school). :p

I like how they play on Ash's conflict with 'Pokemon only' affairs we previously saw with Goodra. He does not like situations he can't help his buddies, so finds a way he can assist without breaking the rules. Really like the training sequence, often I can understand why it isn't shown much, as gratifying as it is to show trainers working for their power level, they don't really make it very interesting most of the time. Here however, Ash has a very eccentric method that makes it entertaining. Hell he acts as target practice for Rockruff so he can finally learn his new move. While Ash has gotten some background assistance this series, I am pleased they are showing developed cases like this where he is clearly working for it and showing off his character in the process.

Interesting setup from the fact there is no villain here either. Even Magmar, though an opponent, is just a sparring buddy. This is a decent variation in storytelling, especially since it means the 'gain power miraculously to save everyone' is sparred for once. That Pokemon actually have some sort of fight club premise is also a new idea to the table, ever wondered how wild ones are so powerful?

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I like how they play on Ash's conflict with 'Pokemon only' affairs we previously saw with Goodra. He does not like situations he can't help his buddies, so finds a way he can assist without breaking the rules. Really like the training sequence, often I can understand why it isn't shown much, as gratifying as it is to show trainers working for their power level, they don't really make it very interesting most of the time. Here however, Ash has a very eccentric method that makes it entertaining. Hell he acts as target practice for Rockruff so he can finally learn his new move. While Ash has gotten some background assistance this series, I am pleased they are showing developed cases like this where he is clearly working for it and showing off his character in the process.

Even better, Rockruff wasn't even Ash's Pokémon (although it was a Pokémon he knew and liked), yet Ash had the hardest time just sitting back and watching Rockruff get injured (if Prof. Kukui hadn't been there, Ash probably would have interrupted the Pokémon Fight Club session), and he couldn't help but want to help Rockruff get stronger. It not only shows how big his heart is, but how strong his love for Pokémon is, and how he strives to bring out the best in any Pokémon, even one who is not his own.

I agree, Ash's training method was so entertaining precisely because it was so eccentric. (Seriously, who would have thought that head banging and booty shaking would help a Pokémon learn a new move? :p ) And it was that training method--the fact that Ash communicated with Rockruff using emotions (much to Rotomdex's confusion, lol. Don't worry, Rotomdex, you'll understand your user one day even if it takes until halfway through the series)--that probably convinced Prof. Kukui that Ash was the perfect Trainer for Rockruff.

satopi

Alright guys, the official Serebii fandom name for the hangout in this episode is the Pokémon Fight Club. :p

Even better, Rockruff wasn't even Ash's Pokémon (although it was a Pokémon he knew and liked), yet Ash had the hardest time just sitting back and watching Rockruff get injured (if Prof. Kukui hadn't been there, Ash probably would have interrupted the Pokémon Fight Club session), and he couldn't help but want to help Rockruff get stronger. It not only shows how big his heart is, but how strong his love for Pokémon is, and how he strives to bring out the best in any Pokémon, even one who is not his own.

I agree, Ash's training method was so entertaining precisely because it was so eccentric. (Seriously, who would have thought that head banging and booty shaking would help a Pokémon learn a new move? :p ) And it was that training method--the fact that Ash communicated with Rockruff using emotions (much to Rotomdex's confusion, lol. Don't worry, Rotomdex, you'll understand your user one day even if it takes until halfway through the series)--that probably convinced Prof. Kukui that Ash was the perfect Trainer for Rockruff.
Right?! And here I thought that part was going to be something for fun! I'm starting to like Ash's method of training. We usually think Ash means battling like how he trained really hard in DP (the training episodes) in order to perfect a new move like Brave Bird with Staraptor. I also like how they incorporated the theme song. It's like training doesn't always have to be serious and boring. It can be chill yet produce the same result. It's like Ash knew how to make Rockruff understand how to learn Rock Throw! That is so Ash! As expected from a guy who has a ton of battling experience and dealing with many different Pokémon. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Overall a solid episode. Really liked how it put heavy emphasis on how Pokemon's get better at battling and how training methods come into play. At first Rockruff was getting shut down due to having no answer to flamethrower and the only reliable punishing move being bite. By the end he learned to read his opponent and stay one step ahead while developing a solid finishing move in Rock Throw. I am 99% sure Rockruff and it's evolution will become the regional ace by the way this was set up.

satopi

Overall a solid episode. Really liked how it put heavy emphasis on how Pokemon's get better at battling and how training methods come into play. At first Rockruff was getting shut down due to having no answer to flamethrower and the only reliable punishing move being bite. By the end he learned to read his opponent and stay one step ahead while developing a solid finishing move in Rock Throw. I am 99% sure Rockruff and it's evolution will become the regional ace by the way this was set up.
Rockruff, the ace of this saga? And NOT a starter?! This hasn't happened since BW... I'M IN!! :D

We can blatantly see Ash's influence in the rematch (Rockruff dodging the Flamethrower by spinning, enduring and countering a move). I can say enough on how the two matches turned out. The training result had a huge improvement on the next match. Can't wait to see the puppy battle again and watch its development unfold. I'm intrigued by how Rockruff's personality will change once it's a Lycanroc.

Alright guys, the official Serebii fandom name for the hangout in this episode is the Pokémon Fight Club. :p

I agree entirely. I literally said further up XD

One if the things I noticed myself doing this episode was during the training scene and Ash used himself as a target for Rockruff to use. I just kinda sat there like "Ash... you know what happens when you throw yourself in front of Pokemon... the first movie proved that... so, so many other episodes have proved that... you know what? I don't care. Just do it."

satopi

I agree entirely. I literally said further up XD

One if the things I noticed myself doing this episode was during the training scene and Ash used himself as a target for Rockruff to use. I just kinda sat there like "Ash... you know what happens when you throw yourself in front of Pokemon... the first movie proved that... so, so many other episodes have proved that... you know what? I don't care. Just do it."
Maybe he feels closer to his Pokémon by literally taking their attacks to see how stronger it became. He can endure them pretty well and sure it's pretty idiotic to some people but he assures his Pokémon that he wants to feel the damage inflicted on him even though it hurts. There's no hard feelings. It's an intimate, hands on approach in Ash's special training.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Maybe Kukui is rubbing off on Ash.

Then again, have we seen Ash observe Kukui's methods? (Either way I'm not opposed because they're building up the relationship between the two)

satopi

Maybe Kukui is rubbing off on Ash.

Then again, have we seen Ash observe Kukui's methods? (Either way I'm not opposed because they're building up the relationship between the two)
Well they have been training together (off screen that is) so it's like they're bonding but we haven't seen much moments to say they are aside from the way they interact/talk to each other and the dialogue like how Ash explains to everyone that Kukui told him how Rockruff isn't his Pokémon (off screen) when us, the audience didn't know as well. I really want to see more moments together with these two!!

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

YES PLEASE!! I would love to see an ace that is not a regional starter!

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Don't understand why people want Rockruff to be the ace. I'd rather Pikachu, his actual starter, to be the ace. Rockruff can be good, maybe Tier 1 even, but shouldn't eclipse Pikachu IMO.

satopi

When has this anime ever demoted the MC's ace over a supporting member.

You're only a non-starter ace if you're not the MC, are a rival/traveling companion, and/or you're super popular.
Krokoodile was BW team's ace. Granted, his team wasn't strong in the least bit but regardless, it still counts.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Krokoodile was BW team's ace. Granted, his team wasn't strong in the least bit but regardless, it still counts.

Again, people want to pick Krookodile all because it looked like the strongest when in truth Ash never did consider him that important (we could consider Leavanny as well, by the way). BW was just plain weird, so by the end of it all, Pikachu was the sole ace, as proven by...that disastrous battle where not even Krookodile or Leavanny participated (had they done so, I bet Ash would have moved further in the ranks).

Doesn't matter if you're the strongest in the team. What matters is how much the writers are willing to inject yourself with spotlight power.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Don't understand why people want Rockruff to be the ace. I'd rather Pikachu, his actual starter, to be the ace. Rockruff can be good, maybe Tier 1 even, but shouldn't eclipse Pikachu IMO.

I should have been more specific. I meant that it would be nice to see Rockruff/Lycanroc as the regional ace--that is, the ace among the Pokémon Ash catches in this region. The role of regional ace has almost always been reserved for a starter, so it would be nice to see a non-starter in that role. IMHO, Pikachu should always be Ash's overall ace--the most reliable member of Ash's team and one of, if not the, strongest Pokémon in his party. (I will allow for the fact that the Pikachu species as a whole are Glass Cannons, even if Ash's Pikachu is an anomaly among his species.) Thankfully, Pikachu is shining brightly from the beginning in SM.

Last edited:

satopi

Again, people want to pick Krookodile all because it looked like the strongest when in truth Ash never did consider him that important (we could consider Leavanny as well, by the way). BW was just plain weird, so by the end of it all, Pikachu was the sole ace, as proven by...that disastrous battle where not even Krookodile or Leavanny participated (had they done so, I bet Ash would have moved further in the ranks).

Doesn't matter if you're the strongest in the team. What matters is how much the writers are willing to inject yourself with spotlight power.
Ash shouldn't of helped the guy he was battling which would've had the disastrous battle cease too exist and still be friends with Kotetsu.

Traditions are meant to be broken. Those who want Rockruff to be the main ace this saga can still root for it. There's usually more than just one specific ace anyway (if we're including Pikachu). BW's team barely had any focus, the potential was there, it was just neglected and forgotten for the mouse.