• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scratchmark Hill, Rockruff and Lycanroc!! (958)

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
TFW you've been pronouncing Lycanroc incorrectly the entire time.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Eesha puppy!

All this extremely loud obnoxious music.

Rockruff, you sly dog. You're quite obviously being pointed out to be running out of the house while being caught on camera, but you're still feigning ignorance and being happy.

So I take it from the classmates' comments about Ash getting hit by Pokemon attacks that they have never seen someone else getting hit? I guess this means this Kukui doesn't take hits himself. Now I can't joke about Ash being really Kukui's son.

That Magmar was so easily taken down despite its apparent reputation.

Don't worry, Rotom. Your confusion about spirit is well justified come league time, albeit by violating more common sense in the process...

Also, no more Ash booty please. Too young to pull that off.

Meh. I still pronounce the names my own way when I don't agree with the dub's pronunciations.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

It's not "LIE-kn-rock"? Is it "LICK-n-rock"? Or perhaps "LIE/LICK-ain-rock"? I haven't seen the episode yet but have it recorded.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
It's not "LIE-kn-rock"? Is it "LICK-n-rock"? Or perhaps "LIE/LICK-ain-rock"? I haven't seen the episode yet but have it recorded.
It's the first one. I said "Lie-CAN-rock," because of lycanthropy. It's a more cumbersome pronunciation but it made sense to me.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Time for another episode I barely remember the JP version of. All I remember of it was the one and only track that fit was the reprise of "Alola!!". Now, that's a JP opening I like and was happy to see it be used effectively. Plus, it helps that Mima waited this long to use it in an episode as opposed to the no-holds-barred-Jihad-on-the-ears known as "XY&Z" being used so much that one would think he has a fetish for that "song." Seriously, even if I liked it at first (and no, I didn't; I hated it from the moment it was previewed), its overuse would've condemned it to the same place of my heart (why of course I have one) that Stock JP XY Sad Themes 1 and 2 belong to: the coldest, darkest corner of it. From what little of JP SM I'd seen after this, it was good to see restraint be shown to reuse of "Alola!!".

Anyway, the dub's out, so now I can actually enjoy what I'm watching. So, how was it?

It does help to know the roots of a Pokemon's name. That way, one can pronounce it right. I say that because knowing the word "lycanthrope" (werewolf) plainly gives away that "Lycanroc" has a similar pronunciation. It's kind of baffling how people have been admitting to pronouncing that Pokemon's name wrong until now.

What was with Ash doing a weird impression of Magmar? I'm guessing that was an awful joke from the JP version the dub had no choice but to sound awkward translating. Also, I wish TPCi had removed that close-up of Ash's butt.

I don't think anyone can be blamed for thinking Rockruff belonged to Kukui. It's pretty neat that it now belongs to Ash, honestly. Not much else I can say about the episode's plot. It was a barely more than usual capture episode.

Music-wise, there's not much to say. It was all good, but apart from the theme that went over Rockruff's battles against Magmar (which was very good, by the way) and the theme that went over Ash's decision to capture Rockruff (again, a very good theme), nothing really stood out as being amazing.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

It's the first one. I said "Lie-CAN-rock," because of lycanthropy. It's a more cumbersome pronunciation but it made sense to me.

Ah, you were so close. I based my pronunciation on both "lycanthrope" and "lichen", even if the second one doesn't have much to do with the 'mon in question.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay

TheWanderingMist

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/lycanthrope?s=t

Y'know, both pronunciations of lycanthrope are correct, so my pronunciation wasn't entirely off. I've actually never heard it pronounced the other way. ^_^;

English tends to lean on STRESSED-unstressed for most of its nouns, and the opposite for verbs. Like "object" and "object", or "excuse" and "excuse". Of course now that I think about it, a lot of diseases have stress on the second syllable (inFLUenza, maLARia, meNINgiTIS) so, if we consider the condition a disease, then naturally it would have stress on the second syllable. "Vampire" and "vampirism" also fit the stress shift pattern.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
You don't have to tell that to an English major

Or lycanthrope and lycanthropy. ;) As I said earlier, I had considered the latter before the former, hence my pronunciation of Lycanroc's name.

Vipsoccermaster

Good Rockruff and Lycanroc debut episode. It's nice that Rockruff did training with its buddies at Clawmark Hill. Good to see Rockruff finally caught by Ash.

The pronunciation for Lycanroc was odd, but I gotta thank the dubbers for correcting the way we should be saying Lycanroc.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Damn it, I was hoping they'd cut Ash twerking out. That was the WORSE thing they made him do this series.
Anyways, I still feel this episode should have happened BEFORE Hala's battle......

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Omg they put an LMFAO reference into a pokemon episode I can't lol...

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Awesome to see another classic training episode. The only one I can remember from XY is the Super Flying Cut episode which never even resulted in anything permanent (even though Frogadier and Hawlucha were in a double battle together against Sawyer which would have been the perfect time to showcase it). The way Ash was moving his body at the beginning of training part 1 to show Rockruff how to move its body to use Rock Throw reminded me of Ash spitting watermelon seeds to teach Treecko how to use Bullet Seed! Love it!

Also, it's odd to see Rockruff still with Professor Kukui in the ending. Is that how it is in the Japanese original as well?? I'm guessing yes since the dub has made two ending edits with Lillie both times, which probably means the dub is properly following the ending edits the Japanese does.

Let's see how that goes during the last legs, when everyone else but the ace + Pikachu is sidelined as background material without enough screen time.

It's during the last episodes that seasons reveal their true colors.

It'll be fine with me if the ace is Decidueye, as it will finally mean Ash has a GHOST

Pfft, Meowth would get creamed on his first match...and then chicken out and hightail it out of there. :p

Yeah, it would be nice if this isn't the last we see of Scratchmark Hill and the Pokémon Fight Club. It would also be nice if this isn't the last we see of those two Lycanroc. It would be interesting if Ash runs into them again (perhaps when his own Rockruff has evolved).

Meowth should face an Alolan Meowth there

I write for the anime and can confirm this is exactly what happens

Should we even be speculating about what Water-type Ash is going to get, given that he didn't even get a Grass type last Gen?

It's kind of baffling how people have been admitting to pronouncing that Pokemon's name wrong until now.

It's kind of baffling that you don't know that lycanthropy places its stresses on different syllables (most notably the CAN syllable) from lycanthrope.

Last edited:

NPT

Just a member
This episode was decent, but the english dub kinda sucked though. Music-wise, the dub's been laughably bad for the last two episodes. SM014 only kept the Title Card music and Team Rocket Alola Motto music, and now this episode kept just the Title Card music...nothing else. It dosen't help that the replacement BGM is so horrid that it makes me want to puke. Way to go, TPCi. You're doing such a grrrrreat job... NOT!

Last edited:
A good episode.

COMMENTS

- I love the idea of a training ground for wild Pokemon. I also really enjoyed watching the various wild Pokemon battles, they were quite fun.

- Very pleased with the way Ash handled Rockruff's training. The training montage + the opening song was a nice combination. I hope we get more training scenes like this in future episodes.

- I'm already aware of what Lycanroc form Rockruff will evolve into (couldn't avoid that spoiler), but I can still appreciate Rockruff's wild personality and desire to get stronger. Also the fact that Rockruff got to go back and kick some as*.

- I have no problem with Ash getting Rockruff, it seemed to care more about Ash than Kukui anyway.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I liked that Satoshi was worried when he saw Iwanko all beaten up in the beginning, and him helping Iwanko to train was amusing. I'm just surprised that despite the Lugarugan debut in this episode, that it was actually Boober who was Iwanko's main opponent. At least Satoshi captured Iwanko, however.

Daizy

I call you honey
- I have no problem with Ash getting Rockruff, it seemed to care more about Ash than Kukui anyway.

This so much. When we first saw Kukui with the doggy I was like "did they even bond?" because Ash seemed like such a better friend to Rockruff than Kukui was.

Jnmisty

I did like how the classmates saw how Ash’s training style is like for the first time. It is completely baffling, confusing, and foreign to them, and it is completely natural and normal to Ash. That scene also reminds me of the scene in Crossing the Battle line when Reggie sees it as well.