• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Screensaver not working

all4game

Hi everyone. I've had this problem for well over a year now and google hasn't helped. Although it isn't anything major by any means, I was just wondering if you guys could help.
Basically, my screensaver for my computer doesn't work. It just doesn't come on, no matter what I set it to, how long I set it for, how long I wait. The 'preview' will work fine, but thats about it. I can't remember downloading anything new around the time it stopped working, although it's likely that I did anyway. Any ideas on how to fix it? I have read that another program could be interfering with it, but I have no idea which one. Computer is a Dell, if that helps at all.

all4game

Yeah, I clicked Apply. I must have tried this hundreds of times. XD It's all of the screensavers that don't work. Desktop. Windows XP.

all4game

I'm pretty sure I have installed 3rd party screensavers at one point, but from waht I can tell I removed them. =[

ThePokéman09

Dude, that info you gave is so ****ing vague, there's absolutely no way I can tell what OS, hardware, WHICH screensaver you're using, etc. A Dell? Dell makes hundreds of models, each with unique hardware. Hell, if you're using Vista/XP go to C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and make sure the screensaver is there.

7eeveelutions

Master of the Skies
He said it was a desktop computer with Windows XP. Read the other posts.

Anyway, you said it worked for the preview but not for the actual screensavers? And none of the screensavers worked? Well, that would mean that the screensaver is in the right location (not sure where thats supposed to be, though), but it isn't working for some reason.

Have you tried running a virus scan? A virus could be interferring with the screensaver. Also, one of the background tasks on the computer may beinterferring with it somehow. Just open up the task manager, go to the Processes tab, and stop any tasks that have your username in the username column. I doubt it will work, but it might.

all4game

He said it was a desktop computer with Windows XP. Read the other posts.

Anyway, you said it worked for the preview but not for the actual screensavers? And none of the screensavers worked? Well, that would mean that the screensaver is in the right location (not sure where thats supposed to be, though), but it isn't working for some reason.

Have you tried running a virus scan? A virus could be interferring with the screensaver. Also, one of the background tasks on the computer may beinterferring with it somehow. Just open up the task manager, go to the Processes tab, and stop any tasks that have your username in the username column. I doubt it will work, but it might.

I've ran tons of virus scans and I remove everything that shows up, although I rarely get anything.
There's a LOT of taks with my username in that column, are you sure I can delete them all? I recognize some, like iTunes, but others I have no idea.
Thanks for the reply.
ThePokéman09, dude...
I said it was windows XP, I told you that it's all the screensavers that aren't working. Starfield is supposed to come up. I jsut went ot C:\WINDOS\SYSTEM32 but I don't know what I'm looking for theres tons of stuff in there.. I found a colorful little icon called scrnsave, and when I double clicked it the screen just turned up black (no starfield, just black) and went away when i moved the mouse (like I'm assuming it's supposed to...)

I don't know everything about computers. Thats' why I'm asking you... seriously if your gonna respond like that I would rather just go somewhere else.

Last edited:

ThePokéman09

Oops, how ignorant of me... pretty lazy, sorry man. But it would help the all of us if you just put all the information in to one post, 'cause it'll be easier to get all the facts.

all4game

Yeah I understand it would be easier, I just didn't know what you would need..

7eeveelutions

Master of the Skies
Most of the stuff under your username on Task Manager can be stopped without doing anything harmful. The only ones you don't want to stop are explorer.exe and taskmanager.exe. And don't stop any of the other background tasks.
Also, be aware that every time you restart the computer or switch to a different profile, your background tasks will start again, and you'll have to stop them every time.

all4game

Most of the stuff under your username on Task Manager can be stopped without doing anything harmful. The only ones you don't want to stop are explorer.exe and taskmanager.exe. And don't stop any of the other background tasks.
Also, be aware that every time you restart the computer or switch to a different profile, your background tasks will start again, and you'll have to stop them every time.

Thank you so much!!! It worked! I had been told to delete specific ones before, but they never worked, but now that I deleted most of them I must have gotten the correct one. Now I can see my starfield again! Thanks..