• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scribblenauts sequel coming this fall

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
According to the newest issue of Nintendo Power, a Scribblenauts sequel is indeed set to invade your DS by the end of this year. The original Scribblenauts was a delightful title that was widely praised for its creative sandbox and challenging puzzles. Yet a fair few criticized it for its imprecise control and physics. Well, developer 5th Cell has not only decided to do something about its problems, but beef up the entire experience. Unfortunately, no scans of the article are available at the moment (if I find any, I'll post 'em), but here are a few article snippets from some historically reliable sites:

VG Chartz - http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=7307
[magazine scan]

-10,000 more words (adjectives)
-120 new and improved levels
-Adjectives play a big role (can be strung together)
-Improved controls
-Fleshed out level editor
-Par system removed
-More merits
-New hint system
-Coming this Fall
Nintendo World Report - http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=22703
5th Cell is readying a sequel to Scribblenauts for a fall release, according to an article from next month's Nintendo Power.

Once again exclusive for DS, Scribblenauts 2 will feature improved controls, which were a big issue with the first title. There will now be D-pad controls for the on-screen avatar, as well as improved stylus controls. The developers also promise that the camera will be better.

10,000 new words will also be added, but instead of new objects, the majority of the added words will be adjectives. You can now string adjectives together, as well.

The levels will be deeper and no longer feature a stable of answers that solve everything. The par system has been removed, and there will be more merits, which were the achievement system from the original.

Lastly, the hint and physics system will see improvement.

The original Scribblenauts sold more than one million copies, and also won a slew of awards at D.I.C.E. last month.

Scribblenauts 2, developed by 5th Cell and published by Warner Bros., is coming out this fall for Nintendo DS.
Personally, I'm delighted at the fact that 5th Cell is taking the criticisms of the first title to heart, as it really was a quirky game with limitless potential that was held back by a few annoyances. I still enjoyed the game, don't get me wrong, but I am overjoyed to see a sequel in the works so rapidly.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Should of saw this coming.

How are they going to use adjectives as words?

As long as they improve the controls drastically, I may get it.

Gentleman

Sitting on Horsea
Awesome. I was hoping for something like this.

How are they going to use adjectives as words?

I think it'd work like typing in "Small Red Dog" and it'd make a small red dog, instead of just the basic dog that you'd get in Scribblenauts 1.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the improved controls. Scribblenauts feels kind of awkward to work with, especially when trying to get Maxwell to go somewhere. Fixing that and bringing new levels, words, etc. would make Scribblenauts formidable indeed.

Also, working on making the massive bunch of words that make essentially unique-looking paperweights into something slightly more useful would be cool too. Maybe that's a little too much to ask, but I wouldn't mind if they did.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
I've never played Scribblenauts, but I heard that there were plenty of flaws in it. I might get this and just bypass the original altogether.

Skull-Kid

Fantastic!

I love Scribblenauts. In fact, I was playing it earlier today. I'm really glad this game is getting a sequel and it will hopefully iron out the flaws of the last game. The controls were a little annoying sometimes.

R_N

With any luck, the improvements will be...well, improvements and won't add in extra levels of frustration.

Scribblenauts could be fun, but ughh so glitchy and the controls.

Surfing_Pikachu

I never played the first, but didn't it use touch screen controls to move around? D-Pad will fix that. Although it's going to be annoying switching from D-Pad to touch screen constantly. I think I can deal though.

R_N

Phew, that's a relief.

I never played the first, but didn't it use touch screen controls to move around? D-Pad will fix that. Although it's going to be annoying switching from D-Pad to touch screen constantly. I think I can deal though.
?
Are you left handed?

But yes touchscreen control was really annoying. The camera would arbitraily switch to MAxwell and send him into a pit when you just meant to move an object, etc

cyotekid

poke battle anyone?
they are coming out this year in october! hehehehe

Surfing_Pikachu

But yes touchscreen control was really annoying. The camera would arbitraily switch to MAxwell and send him into a pit when you just meant to move an object, etc
No, but ya still gotta jump. It certainly won't be bad enough to worry about (anything sounds better then the original's...) but I've played platforming games where you had to constantly switch back and forth and it didn't leave me too happy.

they are coming out this year in october! hehehehe
Enjoying your +1, weirdo?

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Let's hope that the sequel fixes the main problem with the first one. Mainly the fact that it sucked.

Prisimviere

Not Returned.
Awesome!
Another new game/sequel to look forward to :)

Skull-Kid

Adjectives?

Finally. I really wanted those in the first game cos I wanted a red hat and black jeans. It would also be great if we could get more avatars. I'm still satisfied playing as the robot.

Surfing_Pikachu

If you ask me I'm kinda worried about the whole adjective thing. They say they're adding 10,000 adjectives, right? And I think I heard a while ago that there was 4,000 sprites (not words, sprites) in the original game. Then that would mean that this game would have to hold 40,000,000 unique sprites. Don't get your hopes up too high.

Er...adjectives? So, if you put in "Big Green Hamster" a big green hamster would come up? Yeah, it could be of good use. They could lower the sensitivity a bit too - I remember many a time when I moved Maxwell and he ran straight into shark-infested water.

Skull-Kid

Er...adjectives? So, if you put in "Big Green Hamster" a big green hamster would come up? Yeah, it could be of good use. They could lower the sensitivity a bit too - I remember many a time when I moved Maxwell and he ran straight into shark-infested water.

Haha. Possibly.

Most of the adjectives will probably be key words like "fast" and "slow" and it will be interesting to see how much of an impact it will make on the actual gameplay.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
If you ask me I'm kinda worried about the whole adjective thing. They say they're adding 10,000 adjectives, right? And I think I heard a while ago that there was 4,000 sprites (not words, sprites) in the original game. Then that would mean that this game would have to hold 40,000,000 unique sprites. Don't get your hopes up too high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallete_swap