• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Scriptor Scorpio's short stories- And then Joey was a zombie

Scriptor Scorpio

Science Hero
Scriptor Scorpio's short stories

"You know when the author puts him or herself into a story, literally a carbon copy of himself and maybe some other people and calls it genius?" Manny asked.

"Yeah, don't you just hate that?" T.J. said, Manny's oldest younger brother.

"Totally," Manny said with a slight roll of his eyes.

"But what if suddenly something strange occurred?" Joey the youngest asked.

"If you ask me, you're all nuts," Laney the snooty sister said. Second eldest, ya know.

And so begins a funny little idea in my head, with names changed to avoid people triangulating my location. Nuts you say? Why yes.

And then Joey was a zombie

Although nearing the end of July, the largest part of the country had been plagued by not a heat wave, but torrents of rain. Now that temperatures were rising and even the double-sheeted glass couldn't protect them from the dehydrating madness that was the summer, the brothers longed for those rainy days once again. If only they had a garden to hold a water fight or something.

The eldest brother, Manny, had awakened, being a long and heavy sleeper. As he throttened down the stairs, he yawned thinking what he could do today. As per their habit in any holiday, one of his younger brothers was gaming on the computer, gateway to the exciting but unreal world of the internet. Lovely.

This time, it was T.J. and the oldest younger brother was too involved in the latest online game of the moment to notice Manny walking in. As was another habit for the three brothers, Joey walked in to tell Manny he was about to go eat and if he might join him as he subsequently did. Summer days had been so long and so numerous that even without the unbendable school schedule they'd found themselves stuck into a routine.

Manny had sat down when he looked up at Joey gathering together the necessary ingredients for a heavy sugar-coated meal: chocolate chipped cereals dipped in delicious milk.

"What exactly are you doing?" Manny asked. "You know we're supposed to eat just plain old sliced bread."

"Mom said I could eat some cereals," Joey said.

"Yeah sure, just don't," Manny said.

As per usual, Joey carried on his silent defiance and poured himself a batch of brown buck in a bowl. He poured in some milk to show there was no going back now. He scooped up a few chips and swallowed. Had it just been Manny's poor eyesight or did one of those cereal chips look unusually black? He shrugged his head, blaming it on his paranoia or some other imagined conspiracy theory and took a bite of his meaty sandwich, pondering as to whether or not he was making any progress writing an interesting story. Maybe he should let a Georgian super model come in to really seal the deal that he was seriously mocking the loathing of the use of author avatars and ridiculously long sentences. And adequate gratuitous alliteration too.

He decided against it as he turned to his brother to discuss one of his projects, although he'd probably hear about one of Joey's mad mumbling mindful thoughts first as he had drifted into one of his yard-long stares.

"So Joey, I thought about doing a RP about well, I don't really, I'm not sure..." Manny mumbled himself as he kept changing his sentence mid-thought. "Hold on, Joey, you alright? You look a little pale, even for our usual skin tone."

"Belly aaaache," Joey burped.

"By science, what a ghastly smell," Manny said as he held his hand in front of his mouth. "Untill when are you supposed to eat these?"

Manny struggled to find the box the cereals had came from untill he remembered they'd only kept the bag and thrown the box away. Great. Still, it was probably nothing. Wait, why was something touching him...

"Joey, stop touching me!" Manny said annoyed as he tried to push away his brother's spontaneous hug, being also stealthily sneaky which he disproportionately disliked.

As it didn't seemed to work at first, to Manny's surprise as 8 years separated him and Joey in age, he pushed harder and got up from his seat to look at exactly why his little brother was acting so weird. More than he did as per usual. Joey's face had gone quite pale, with throbbing veins crossing his face like scars.

"The hell are you doing," Manny said as he tried to figure out what was going on as he ran over to the living room where his other brother T.J. was still gaming, deeply focused on his current objective: destroy the taken humans, formerly good guys, now clad in crimson armor. Slowly but steadily, Joey slouched along through the narrow and small hallway towards his two brothers as well.

"Psst, T.J., something's wrong with Joey," Manny said as he tapped his unaware brother on the shoulder.

"You're only finding out now?" T.J. replied with a chuckle while keeping his eye on the price: his game.

"No I'm serious, look," Manny said as he forced to pull T.J. away from his game, which spelled certain buttwhooping for Manny on most occasions, except this very special one, the first short story.

"Why you... Hey, he's never been that pale and why is he walking like that?" T.J. asked.

"Bwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaimmm," Joey uttered.

"What is he mumbling about again. Can you understand anything he's saying?" T.J. said.

"Bwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaimmmmm," Joey went on.

"Wait, seriously, braaaains?" Manny said.

"Are you going at it as well?" T.J. said.

"No, he said brains. He's a zombie," Manny promptly declared.

"Are you for real? We're supposed to be in a sitcom or something. That tree-hugging zombie movie really got to your head," T.J. said.

"Yeah and it came out of that empty head over there, we gotta run!" Manny said as Joey still hadn't got to them. Man, he sure was slow, even before he was a zombie. Zinger.

"So if I punch him and he keeps on walking, he's a zombie and won't feel a thing?" T.J. asked with teary eyes of joy.

"Well actually, that's not how it works in any movie..." Manny said as T.J. jumped for joy and ran over to Joey. And started punching him in the stomach. Repeatedly. Once again, routine were it not that now Joey was a zombie.

"Ohw ah, eeh, that looked really painful, ohw, you should really stop, wow, you can really do that, Joey can you hear, T.J. stop punching him," Manny uttered unsure what to do.

"Aaahbrrrgraaaambl," Joey muttered as he readied his jaws and aimed for T.J.'s shoulder.

"T.J. look out!" as Manny pulled on his shirt just as Joey lowered his ugly head. Yes, the pale skin tone and blood-shot eyes hadn't worked well with the ladies in the past.

"Are you for real?" Manny exclaimed as he tried to formulate a plan.

"Pillow fight!" T.J. said as he flung the titular item through the air with pinpoint accuracy hitting Joey in the face and making stumble, prompting his brother's brave announcement...

"Run, do it now!" Manny said and they flew past their zombie brother. For the last time, it's not a metaphor. Maybe perhaps... Naaah.

"Get the power tools, off with his head!" T.J. said.

"He's our brother you numnut. Maybe we can save him," Manny said.

"Myeaaaah... Power tools!" T.J. said.

One hour later...

"Why the heck did you leave the door open and write a note telling him where we went!" Manny said.

"I wrote it for mom. Isn't she supposed to keep us from doing these hare-brained house escapes?" T.J. said.

"For some mysterious reason, she isn't picking up her phone nor is she in her office," Manny said.

"Maybe... she's a zombie too..." T.J. said.

"One anomaly at a time, thank you very much. Besides, maybe it's the scientific time where he's infected with a deadly super virus and we have to save him and the cheerleader," Manny said.

"What about the world?" T.J. said.

"Myeah, maybe that too," Manny said as in his mind he started to take apart his mayor of Friendzonnia hat.

"Run, he's back!" T.J. said as they well... started running.

"Hold on," Manny said as he stopped. Joey was still quite a few meters away, he realised there was no rush, no immediate danger. "If he's the slow-moving type of zombie, shouldn't there be a whole horde of them to be effective at all? I mean, he can't possibly catch up to us with that snail walk."

"So we're talking about more of a inexplicably super fast zombie that's only dead in his head or what?" T.J. asked.

"Bwaim?" Joey uttered as he straightened his back and then started running at a blinding speed of 7 miles an hour.

"Zigzag, zigzag!" Manny said. "Oh wait that's with crocs and has been disproven. Just run!"

"Great work genius, you angered the writer god," T.J. said as he wished he hadn't left those shiny power tools when he had the chance to.

"If we, eheh, go back and find those cereals' box, maybe we can find a solution to all of this," Manny said.

"A prompt reset button to all the events that just occurred, even restoring the fingers that through rot fell off while he was chasing us, great!" T.J. said delighted.

"You know, actually, I don't think..." Manny said.

One more hour later...

"Okay, you dig for the box, I keep him busy with my cutting edge chainsaw," T.J. said as he pulled sunglasses from absolutely nowhere.

"T.J., we don't have a chainsaw," Manny said.

"Oh... then I'll find something, hurry!" T.J. said.

As Manny turned the neatly organised recycle bins upside down and sifted through them, T.J. heard the double-sheeted glass shatter in the living room as he watched Joey jump in with tomato sauce all over his mouth. T.J. had thought they would've lost him in that pizza place.

"Choose your weapon," T.J. said as he threw Joey a toy light saber which specifically stated it wasn't made for actual fighting and pulled out his own red one. Because red was his favorite colour naturally. His eyes briefly flickered a crimson red before T.J. struck with his sword and Joey swiftly countered. This is impossible, he cannot beat me!

He couldn't make any mistakes. He struck Joey's sides, both, repeatedly, then some more, but Joey had become a super zombie because of Manny's know-it-all remarks and wasn't phased in the slightest by the superb but savage blows. Sever the head, T.J.'s dark side said. No, I cannot resist!

Manny had finally found the cardboard box. It read 'may contain zombie cereals', by science, how coincidental he thought. He remembered the toy laying on the counter that the box had contained and threw it to T.J. who grabbed it mid-air and fired the blinding red-hot ray... incinerating Joey to a a fresh, crisp cookie.

"Oh well, get the clone," Manny said.

The end.