• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Searching

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Okay, so Something Beautiful didn't go the way I wanted it to anymore. I decided to scrap it in favour of space on the computer. This is an entirely new fic I've been writing. And I'm not planning more than...one chapter ahead, to stop me getting bored with it. So here it is. Searching.

Chapter List:
Prologue - A Child Is Born
Chapter 1 - Resentment
Chapter 2 - Back On Track

Prologue – A Child Is Born

Thunder smashed against the side of Ivory Mountain as a man and woman curved past on a blaze of fire. The woman looked up at the rocks falling as she held a bundle closer to her chest.

“Ponyta, Agility!” the man shouted, barely turning his head. The buff creature under the fire nodded before disappearing. Further up the mountain it reappeared, seemingly halting from a run, out of reach of the falling boulders. “Good girl,” the man whispered, patting Ponyta on the head.

“Can we get her home quickly, Karl,” the woman suggested, keeping her hood up, “This night is too cold for her. The rain can’t be good for Ponyta’s fire either.” This suggestion seemed to get some attention with Karl, who patted the burning creature once more before digging his heels in at the sides. Ponyta began to gallop down the mountain they had just trekked up.

“Good Arceus,” the woman gasped in awe, “We’re almost there.” She looked over her comrade’s shoulder to see a village. Although not big enough for a town, the village seemed to have enough buildings to make looking around take a day.

“She’ll get a great start here,” Karl stated, also keeping his hood covering him from the rain. The buildings, no matter how big or small, were all pure white, with perfectly kept gardens.

“We’re so close, I can’t wait to get into a bed,” the woman insisted. Karl held up his hand.

“We have to find somewhere to sleep first,” he said sternly, “Then in the morning I can find a job, or some trainers to battle for money. And pretty soon we can move into our own place; if there are any available.” He ended on a low note, as if not expecting much from this place.

“Thank you for doing this for me, Karl,” she said, happily, placing her hand on his shoulder, holding the bundle tighter in her other arm, “My sister is as grateful as I am, I assure you.”

“It’s no problem, Andrea,” he said, smiling through the small gap in his hood, just visible through the amount of brown hair, “Who wouldn’t marry someone they just met and steal a baby from its insistent mother?”

Last edited:

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Chapter 1 – Resentment

There was a letter on the foot of her bed when Samantha woke up. Shifting her brown hair aside, she noticed it was greasy. The letter could wait.

She pushed her Milotic quilt cover off and pounded out of her room into the landing. After pulling a pink towel out of the cupboard, she stalked into the bathroom, ready to shower off yesterday’s activities. She wondered if Abbott was still in the house. Abbott could wait too.

She looked at herself in the mirror, noticing dark circles around her dull green eyes. That would have to go soon. She turned on the water and pushed the dial to a moderate heat before stripping down and climbing in.

She came out of the bathroom holding her towel around her body, walking through to her room. She noticed everyone’s bedroom doors were open, which didn’t surprise her much. Abbott was probably out playing with his friends, while her parents would be at work.

In her room, she disregarded the letter as she dried off and got dressed. Her hair dryer made short work of her hair, quickly transforming it back into her grease-free brunette straight style. Holding her fringe to the side with a scarlet clip, she began putting on her clothes.

A white shirt was hanging on the back of her chair, one she hadn’t remembered putting there the night before. She put it on, regardless and tucked it into a newly donned scarlet skirt, coming a few inches above her knees.

After putting on a navy waistcoat and finishing it off with a scarlet neckerchief, Samantha sat down and put on her socks and shoes, noticing again the letter on her bed. Stopping what she was doing, she picked it up and opened it.

The letter read:

Samantha,
It’s time we let you spread your wings.
I hope you can understand why we didn’t want you to start training yet,
but believe me that it was for your own good. You just weren’t ready…
I digress…You should come and see me at the flower shop.
I’ve got some things for you to keep you going. Pack some clothes and drop them off
on your way to the Professors lab.

p.s. I cleaned your white shirt and put it on your chair

See you soon,
x Mom x​

Samantha smiled. For five years now, she’d known Andrea and Karl weren’t her real parents, not that she had seen them as any different. She had been adopted when she was a newborn, they had said. In any case, they had put off letting her go on a journey for that fact alone, or so she suspected. They had never properly discussed it, just laid down the law and laid it to rest.

She’d asked about her real parents before, but both mother and father said that they didn’t know anything about them, that they weren’t allowed that information from the adoption agency.

Packing her bags were easy, especially since she was going on a journey. She got a few things into a rucksack and exited the house.

Walking around Ivory Village always sent shivers down her spine. With the Ivory Mountain looming overhead, full of indents and cracks from various storms, it had always looked extremely inhabitable from afar. Not that the village was unsightly, it was actually a nice little place. On different shopping trips to Wisteria Town, the nearest place to Ivory Village, she had noticed that from afar the buildings and stonework all looked pure white, yet when in the village, they had a twinge of yellow. Certainly fitting for the village’s name.

She waltzed through the streets, noting how empty it was. She had hardly any friends left in this place her own age; most of them went on their own journeys at the age of ten, with Samantha being kept behind by her parents.

By now most of her old friends would be accomplished trainers, or at least be doing better than she herself was. She had at one point resented her adopted parents for it, but she had gotten used to them never letting her leave the village alone.

Now was the time she could get away. Perhaps look for her real parents. Maybe find some of her old friends. Maybe even enter the Couture Competition at the Fashion Megalopolis she had seen on television. She could do well there, and she had their so-called “Passion for Fashion”.

She turned the final corner and saw the sign for Andrea’s Petals; her mothers flower shop. Opening the door let the waft of fresh flowers into Samantha’s nose.

“Hi, mom,” she smiled, walking over to the counter. Andrea held up a finger, signalling that she was busy talking to the woman in front of her, who Samantha recognised as their neighbour.

“Of course, he’s leaving late as usual, but I’m sure he’ll get there eventually,” she cooed, making strange faces to Andrea.

“I’m sure he’ll have an excellent time,” smiled Andrea, doing the usual business voice Samantha often heard her use. The lady turned to Samantha.

“When will yours be flying the coop, hmm?”

“Today, as well, actually,” the business voice had gone. Andrea didn’t seem all too pleased. The letter made it sound like it was her idea, but this made her seem like she had no choice in the matter. After a few pleasantries, the neighbour left, leaving them alone in the shop.

“So,” Andrea forced out, “Are you looking forward to leaving?”

“I’m not sure,” Samantha said, unconvincingly. She really did want to get out of the small village. It was too cramped for her.

“You’ll enjoy it,” Andrea smiled, “Now. It’s time for me to tell you something. Well, obviously you know you’re adopted.” Samantha nodded. “We told you we knew nothing about your real parents. Now, that wasn’t entirely true,” she was refusing to make eye contact with her adopted daughter as she spoke, “Your parents names were Catherine and Jonathan Acacia. Your name is Samantha Acacia, not Norton.”

“But I thought you couldn’t get information from the adoption agency,” Samantha said, confused.

“We didn’t want to tell you, but it’s time you knew,” she admitted, looking at her feet.

“I’m going to the lab to get my Pokémon. I’ll see you when I get back,” she stormed out of the shop into the village. She couldn’t believe her parents would do that. They weren’t her real parents, but they had loved her, hadn’t they. She couldn’t take the confusion. She had to go. She waited until she saw another customer, and went in behind them to grab her bags.

She walked out of the shop and across the street towards the lab. She seemed to be touchy. What had the florist said to her. He and Ponyta followed the girl down the street at a safe distance.

Last edited:

Sammi

Banned
Hey there, Iota...

Thunder smashed against the side of Ivory Mountain as a man and woman curved past on a blaze of fire. The woman looked up at the rocks falling as she held a bundle closer to her chest.

I don't get that. o_O

“Ponyta, Agility!” the man shouted, barely turning his head. The buff creature under the fire nodded before disappearing. Further up the mountain it reappeared, seemingly halting from a run, out of reach of the falling boulders. “Good girl,” the man whispered, patting Ponyta on the head.

Ponyta's not that buff. Also, lacks description...

"Ponyta, Agility!" the man sternly shouted, barely turning his head. The elegant pony-like creature, under the blazing flames nodded before disappearing completely under the fire. Much further up on the mountain, the elegant pony reappeared, seemingly halting from its dash, out of the reach of the boulders thundering down.

"Good girl," the man whispered, patting the Ponyta lightly on its fiery head.

As you see, you forgot your double enter! DDDD: *dies*

“Can we get her home quickly, Karl,” the woman suggested, keeping her hood up, “This night is too cold for her. The rain can’t be good for Ponyta’s fire either.”

... Erk, "Can we get her home quickly, Karl," would look better if it were... Can we get her home quickly, Karl?" Yes, to me it looks like a questionative suggestion. Also, could you try to smudge some emotion in there? No frowns, smiles, sneers, smirks, winces, nothing? It's like their faces are always blank, dear.

“She’ll get a great start here,” Karl stated, also keeping his hood covering him from the rain. The buildings, no matter how big or small, were all pure white, with perfectly kept gardens.

Not really any improvement statement, but that town seems nice. <3 xD

“We’re so close, I can’t wait to get into a bed,” the woman insisted. Karl held up his hand.
Sounded perverted... o_O And insisting, I thought that when... You go like...

"We really shouldn't do this..." Kireirei whispered nervously, trembling, to her overly emotional friend.

"Please! I insist! We must!" Cherri pleaded, squirming in distress, almost talking out loud in the darkness of the night, nearly waking up those around her, making them sense her and Kireirei's presence..

:x Spoiler for a new fic I'm writing. xD

“Who wouldn’t marry someone they just met and steal a baby from there insistent mother?”

There? Isn't it their? o_O

She turned the final corner and saw the sign for Andrea’s Petals; her mothers flower shop. Opening the door let the waft of fresh flowers into Samantha’s nose.

safnjkha jksh a I KNEW IT! DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:::::: Samantha... Andrea... And Karl! I KNEW IT! I KNEW SOMETHING EXACTLY LIKE THIS WOULD HAPPEN OMGOMGOMG

The Closing Grades:

DESCRIPTION: B- (Needs some work... SOME.)
EMOTION: C+ (You need a lotta work here!)
FLOW: A (Good, good, understandable!)

Sorry I didn't have much to say about the first chapter. It's very much like the prologue in quality, really... :/

Last edited:

DANdotW

Previously Iota
You're right, it was meant to be "their". My bad.

The "Can we get her home quickly, Karl," wasn't really a question, but more of an...accusation? Slightly. She's moaning at him, rather than asking him to hurry up.

Buff is a colour :p I'm not saying Ponyta is rippling in muscles.

Thanks for the review anywho. It's been quite lonley here.

*cookies are in the oven and awaiting postage to you*

Iota

Sammi

Banned
You're right, it was meant to be "their". My bad.

The "Can we get her home quickly, Karl," wasn't really a question, but more of an...accusation? Slightly. She's moaning at him, rather than asking him to hurry up.

Buff is a colour :p I'm not saying Ponyta is rippling in muscles.

Oh okay. I imagined Ponyta being like, one of those creepy wrestler people on TV. xD Alright, thanks for clearing that up!

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Here's the next chapter.

Chapter 2 – Back On Track

She found her way to the lab and stopped outside, catching her breath on the off-white brickwork. She indeed still couldn’t believe that they’d keep something like that from her. Of course, it didn’t make much difference, but surely knowing your real surname was more than thinking your adopted parents knew nothing about you.

This brought forward more questions about Andrea and Karl. She’d have to ask them if they knew anything else afterwards. Right now though, it was time she was introduced to the Professor and her first Pokémon. After five years.

She pushed some of her brown hair behind one ear and walked in through the doors. They were automatic, which amused Samantha due to the town’s distinct lack of technology.

It was a lot bigger on the inside, although the walls were painted white, so that might have contributed. But still. The place was bigger than any building she had seen in Ivory Village. There was no one in the immediate room wearing a lab coat, so she took a few steps towards one of the wide alcoves. In there was only a door with a bench outside of it.

Taking this as a hint, she went and sat next to a small boy, looking to be a ten-year-old ready to get his first Pokémon. She recognised him, but wasn’t sure where from. His red t-shirt and blue denim shorts were a common sight in this town due to there being only one clothes store.

“Hi, is this the Professors office?” she asked him politely. She knew manners were the only way to go with strangers, having had a bad young experience with one of Andrea’s customers.

“It’s one of them,” he said, coolly shifting his bright blue cap slightly, “I’ve been to two already. You have to have interviews with all three Professors.” Samantha looked at him wide eyed. Looking back to the first room, she realised all those people were queuing at the main desk. This was going to be a long morning.

“Do you think they’ll notice if I just go into this room first?” she asked, smirking a little. The boy grinned back at her.

“I think so,” he giggled. She nodded and stood up. He stared at her as she walked to the door and opened it, walking in. He must have thought she was mad.

Walking in, she saw a man fighting thin air. He wore a traditional training uniform, the one’s the trainers from the olden days on television wore. She gasped at how tall he was, causing him to turn and notice she had entered the room.

“Couldn’t wait until your name was called, huh?” He wasn’t angry, however, he was smiling. He walked over to his desk and pressed a button. “Tina, Quentin, I need you in here for a second.” A buzz came from where he had pressed a button and he sat down. “So, how’s the weather outside?”

She was bemused. He was talking to her as normal, gesturing to a chair in front of the desk. Sitting down, she said, “It’s nice out. Much better than that storm we had last Saturday.”

“Ah yes, I remember that weekend,” he nodded, his long black hair stroking his puffy white over shirt. The only thing Samantha was glad about at the moment was that she couldn’t see the huge red skirt he was wearing, especially since she had a short skirt of the same colour. “You can’t imagine how hard it is to know what the weather is like from in here. You know, I’ve been meaning to call some contractors…”

He was cut off as the door opened, and two adults walked in. One was a woman a little younger looking than Andrea, but far wider. She wore a red suit with a skirt instead of trousers. Underneath she had a pink shirt, with matching earrings and a tidy coppery bun on her head.

The second was a much more elderly man, wearing a rather boring brown suit jacket, grey trousers and a green waistcoat over his white shirt, which matched his green cane and the stripe on his bowler hat. They both came in and stood next to the other man. Great, she thought, my eyes are burnt.
“What is the meaning of this, Samson?” asked the older man, his grey eyebrows scrunching together, “I was just interviewing that lovely Callaghan boy. His mother is so proud of him.” Samson nodded.

“This girl recently burst into my office and interrupted my training,” he explained to them, “It seems she cannot wait to get her Pokémon, even if it means having three interviews with us.”

“I’m rather surprised Ivy let her through,” the older man said.

“You saw the queue’s out there, Quentin,” the woman told him, “This isn’t Ivy’s fault.”

“Either way,” Samson said, still smiling, “I wanted you two here to assist me in interviewing her together.” This caused uproar from both the two newer arrivals and what sounded like an ‘I was here first!’ from outside the door.

“This will be a lot faster if you aid me,” he said, now rather stern. “Young girl, I’m Professor Samson Redwood. This is Professor Quentin Pine and Professor Tina Sequoia. All three of us deal with the handling of beginning trainers. But you don’t look like a beginning trainer. What is your name?”

“I’m Samantha No…” she wondered whether she should now say her name was Norton or not, “I’m Samantha Acacia.” Redwood looked at her.

“Lucian Acacia’s offspring?” he asked, almost looking like he was about to bow, “I didn’t realise you were old enough to begin a journey yet. Or that you were a girl. You’ve come a long way from Ochre City, haven’t you.” Samantha was confused.

“I think you’ve got me mixed up with a little boy from a lot further away,” she smiled, “I’m Samantha Acacia, born and raised in Ivory Village. Well…raised anyway.” She looked at the floor. “Look, I’m sorry I barged in on you all, but my parents have stopped me from becoming a trainer for five years. Now they’re finally letting me start, and I have a lot of catching up to do compared to most people my age. I really need a Pokémon.”

The considered her for a while, looking at each other and back at Samantha.

”I guess we can make an exception just this once,” muttered Redwood, “But first you have to let me interview that young boy outside. As I’m sure we all just heard, he was here before you. After that we’ll push you forward.”

“Perhaps during the boys interview you can work on your manners,” snorted Sequoia as she walked out.

“And wear more suitable clothes in future,” stated Pine, almost in disgust, as he followed Sequoia out of the room, no doubt to return to interviewing the ‘Callaghan boy’.

“Come in please, Nolan,” Professor Redwood called as the door was closing. The boy from outside walked in, throwing daggers from his eyes at the now standing Samantha as he walked past.

“Yes Professor Redwood?” he inquired, although she had no doubt he knew exactly what he was here for.

“As you know, this is your third interview of the day,” Redwood started, “And now is the time for you to answer a final few questions before you get your starter Pokémon.” Nolan nodded, as Samantha stood further back to the corner, watching with great intent. She could learn something from this interview, like the answers.

“What are you more interested in,” the Professor asked, “Gym Battling or Contest Battling?” Nolan shifted his head slightly.

“I’m not interested in either of those,” he grinned, “I want to be a Champion Competitor. All those races and competitions, they really give me an energy boost.” He seemed to be jigging in his seat already.

“I believe you have already expressed your feelings on type advantage’s to Professor Sequoia?” Redwood asked, hand to his mouth, pondering this energetic child.

“Of course, she asked me and I told her,” the boy said, beginning to recall the conversation to himself, “There’s use for type advantages where I’m destined to be.”

“And where is that?” asked the Professor, increasingly interested.

“At the top of the food chain,” the boy cooed, holding a clenched fist in the air, “Winner of every Champion Competition there is. No one will have the skills to beat me once I get started.” The Professor smiled. This seemed to be the right answer.

“Well done, Nolen.” He said, standing. Walking over to a desk, he pulled a small red and white sphere from a draw. “You’ve given all of us enough answers to determine what your starter Pokémon should be. How do you feel about Grass Types?” Nolen looked at his feet.

“I prefer Poison Types to be honest with you, Professor Redwood.” He confessed. Samson Redwood let out a heart laugh before passing the ball to the boy.

“Then the Pokémon in this Pokéball should suit you perfectly,” he smiled. Nolen fiddled around the ball, looking for something in particular. Seeming to have finally found it, the ball expanded into a much larger one, a button now visible.

“Pokémon, lets see what you can do!” he shouted, throwing the ball onto the floor. As if a grenade, the contact with the floor caused an eruption of intense white light to fill the room. Covering her eyes with her arm, Samantha waited till she could see the glaring brightness dim through the gaps of sight.

Moving her arm out of the way, she saw a sea-coloured creature. There was a large green bulb on its back, and its face seemed more animated than most Pokémon she had seen on television, or of her parents.

“It seems…podgy?” she suggested, almost laughing at what she had said. Both Nolen and the Pokémon stared at her.

“Buulbaa!” it shouted at her, sounding female. It seemed shocked at how loud it had been afterwards. The Professor giggled to himself again.

“It seems your Bulbasaur just realised she knew Growl.” He stated. The three looked at him, and Samantha realised it was a Bulbasaur. She now recognised the viridian markings on the flesh from a programme she had watched a few nights before. “She was bred from Professor Pine’s Venusaur, just like the rest of the Bulbasaur here. So yours has no special extras over other Bulbasaur’s, apart from a happy disposition. Also, she’s both a Grass Type and a Poison Type, so you two should get along famously.”

Nolen looked at the Bulbasaur, smiling. “Come on, girl. Let’s go introduce you to my mom.” He sprinted out of the room, leaving the little Bulbasaur to get used to the speed in which he went. Redwood looked at her and signalled her to sit down, shifting his long red skirt out of the way.

Samantha sat down on the seat Nolen had been in only moments ago.

“So, what it you want to achieve by coming here and forcing your way in?” he asked her, still calm, but much more tense than she was before.

“Okay,” she began, “I found out five years ago I was adopted. I found out today that my parents had been lying about knowing my birth parents. I need to go find my real parents. I’ll need either friends with Pokémon, or a Pokémon of my own. Since I don’t have friends, this has to do. I need to go today.”

“And you couldn’t have waited?” he inquired. She shook her head.

“I have to find out some things from my adopted parents,” she looked through the window at what she thought was fire. It must have been the sun.

“Well, while I do sympathise with you, I’d rather test you first,” he said, standing up. “You’re going to go into the back with this Pokéball and have your first battle.” Samantha was confused, but took the Pokéball he was extending to her. “Follow me.” He buzzed the intercom once more and called for Ivy.

Walking behind the Professor, she saw pictures of famous trainers on the walls; obviously ones that had started their journeys in Ivory Town with a Pokémon from one of the three Professors.

“In here please,” he insisted, arm stuck into an open door. She walked in and realised she was actually walking outside. There was a huge field there, taken up completely by grass and flowers. A tall girl with a flowing white dress and a matching hat covering her ebony hair exited from another door, entering the glade with them.

“You wanted me, Professor?” she asked, her voice sounding musically rough. She had three of the small Pokéballs attached to her waist.

“Yes,” he said to her, facing away from Samantha. “I’d like you to battle this girl, give me a test of her knowledge.” Ivy grabbed one of the Pokéballs and expanded it from the previously invisible button. Being outside, the light that protruded from the ball after it made contact with the floor wasn’t as intense, but still caused Samantha to look away for a second.

Looking back, she saw what at first glance looked like the Bulbasaur she had seen earlier, but different. The bulb that had been on the back had opened up into a pink bud with palm leaves that had once protected the supple plant. Other than that, the Bulbasaur had only gotten bigger. This must have been the evolved form or it, like Andrea’s Sunflora had evolved from the Sunkern she had.

The Professor handed her a Pokéball already expanded. “Try this one.” He suggested.

She threw it into the air, and this time, it exploded into the light without touching the ground. The light cleared to reveal a Bulbasaur, smaller than the one she had seen in the office, but with a gruffer voice. “A Bulbasaur?” she cried, head over heels for the cuter version of the Pokémon she had seen before.

“The attacks it knows are Tackle, Growl and Safeguard.” Redwood stated, staring intently.

“Bulbasaur, use Tackle!” Samantha called, and the Grass Type obeyed, running across the field to Ivy’s Pokémon.

“Ivysaur, use Vine Whip!” Ivy shouted, ordering a move from the evolution of Bulbasaur. Two vines shot from under the plant, pulsating towards Bulbasaur.

“Jump out of the way, Bulbasaur!” yelled Samantha. The Bulbasaur nodded whilst running, and jumped to dodge one of the vines. Ivy smiled, seeing the second vine swing in and hit he smaller Pokémon.

“Now, Ivysaur, Sleep Powder!” called Ivy. A thick green powder began spewing from the flower on the Grass Type’s back, flowing quickly through the air towards Bulbasaur.

“Throw it off with a Growl, Bulbasaur!” Samantha called out. Bulbasaur let out a low grizzling growl, but the powder kept coming, settling on Bulbasaur and knocking him out cold.

“Bulbasaur is unable to battle,” guffawed Ivy, “Ivy is the winner!” Professor Redwood shook his head.

“Have some dignity,” he said to Ivy, “Now, return your Pokémon to their Pokéballs. Samantha, just point the Pokéball at Bulbasaur and shout ‘Return’. The voice recognition in these Pokéballs hasn’t been set yet, so you have full control.”

Samantha pointed the ball at the sleeping Pokémon. “Return,” she bellowed, not expecting her voice to be so loud. A red beam of energy shot to Bulbasaur and enveloped it. Quickly, Bulbasaur became the exact same essence, and the beam staggered back into the ball.

“So,” Redwood said, “The passive battling isn’t too great for you. Now we’ll have a go at physical battling. Use this one.” He passed her another Pokéball, taking the first from her. Expanding it herself this time, she threw it to the floor as Ivy returned Ivysaur and sent out her own Pokéball.

After the light had cleared, an umber scaly Pokémon was left. Its underside was a lighter colour and it carried on all the way down to the tail, which was encompassed in fire.

“Chaaaaaaa!” it cried, cutely. It seemed female.

“This is Charmander,” Professor Redwood stated, “It knows Scratch, Growl, and Bite.” Samantha looked over to Ivy and saw she had the same Pokémon, if not a little bigger.

“Charmander, use Scratch!” Samantha shouted, sending the Fire Type running forward baring her claws.

“Charmander, use your Smokescreen!” called Ivy. Black smoke began to spew from the opponent’s mouth. Professor Redwood was watching the battle carefully.

Last edited:

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Okay, no response still, but that doesn't matter. I'm enjoying myself.

Chapter 3 – Leaving

The smoke had covered Samantha’s Charmander completely. Knowing there was an opening at such an early stage, Ivy took hold of the battle.

“Charmander, now use Ember!” she shouted. The Fire Type began shooting small globes of fire towards the smoke drift. Samantha caught sight of Redwood smiling as the attack hit the smoke, causing an explosion. Charmander was sent flying out of the blast, landing feet away from a shocked Samantha.

“Quickly return them and proceed to the Tactical Battle,” the Professor shouted, throwing another Pokéball to Samantha. Both trainers returned their Pokémon to their confinements, taking them away from the burning grass. Throwing the Pokéball, Samantha noticed the light wasn’t blinding her as much as it had previously.

“Maybe I’m getting used to it,” she muttered as the light revealed a slimy turquoise Pokémon. A hard brown shell was on its back, exposing a flowing turquoise tail. Ivy had the same Pokémon again.

“Squirtle, put out the fire with Water Gun!” she ordered. Water gushed from the Pokémon’s mouth, dousing all the fire that had been on the field. “Now, use Tackle!” The Squirtle ran towards Samantha’s own, in the same fashion the Bulbasaur had earlier.

“Quick Squirtle, counter that with your Tackle!” Samantha called. The Squirtle she had sent out began charging the other Water Type. They collided, and for a moment neither looked like they were about to move anytime soon. Finally, Ivy’s Squirtle jumped back nearer to her, while Samantha’s fell forward, no longer having anything to lean on.

“Squirtle, use Brine!” shouted Ivy. Squirtle opened its mouth again, but this time only sound came out. Calling to some unseen force, Squirtle began building up water in its mouth. Curving down and around, the water built up on the ground, turning into a flood. Quickly, the water became huge and followed Samantha’s Squirtle down to the other side of the field.

“Quick Squirtle, Mirror Coat!” she shouted. Squirtle stopped moving and rose into the air. Glowing purple, a semi-shield built up around her. As the Brine hit, it was almost instantly reflected, and forced its way back over to Ivy’s Squirtle, knocking it out completely.

“We won!” Samantha cheered, running over to her own Squirtle, only to see that the female was out for the count herself.

“Intriguing attack, Mirror Coat,” said a voice. Turning, she saw Ivy and Redwood had followed her over, “Takes part of the damage, but sends the attack back at almost double the power. I enjoyed that particular battle, Samantha.”

“Thank you,” she blushed, returning Squirtle to her Pokéball. She handed the three of them to Professor Redwood, “Here you are then.”

“No,” he shook his head, “Now is when you choose one of the three for your starter. This is the most rigorous, yet easiest way to determine which starter fits a trainer most.” She considered them for a moment, before choosing Squirtle’s Pokéball. “I thought you might choose that one. Your battle style came out a bit near the end. I’d like to hear from you occasionally. After all, this is where your excess Pokémon will be sent to.”

Smiling, Samantha remembered something the Professor had said earlier. “Professor Redwood, you said earlier I was from Ochre City when you thought I was Professor Acacia’s child.” Pausing, she saw him nodding, acknowledging what she was saying, “Does that mean there is a Professor Acacia in Ochre Town right now then? See, my name is Samantha Norton. Acacia is my birth parents name. Do you know if they gave any other children away?”

“I don’t recall ever hearing it,” he placed a hand on her shoulder, “I have a feeling your parents aren’t telling you anything, young Samantha. You should speak to them before you leave Ivory Village.” The three walked back into the lab, Redwood staying in his office as Ivy and Samantha exited into the main lobby.

“I hope you’ll call soon,” Ivy winked, “I’d love to see how strong you and that Squirtle get one day.”

“Me too,” Samantha smiled, leaving the lab. She saw a strip of fire disappear behind the flower shop and smiled. “He’s been following me. Well, I guess it’s time to get some answers.” She walked across the streets to the shop she had known for so long.

As she walked in, Samantha saw a worn out Karl standing behind the counter with Andrea. Her mother was smiling.

“Look, Samantha,” she showed her a Pokéball, “That Bellsprout I ordered has arrived. Now my old Sunflora can finally rest.” Sunflora had been somewhat of a family pet with Ponyta over the years, but she also helped Andrea in the shop, usually with her Grass Type abilities.

“That’s great,” Samantha said, preoccupied, “Mom, dad. What do you know about Ochre City?” Both of their faces dropped. “Please tell me the truth.”

“Your father lives there. And your brother.” Andrea blurted out. There was a silence that was too uncomfortable for Karl to bear.

“Your father is Professor Lucia Acacia. He had a son about the same time we had Abbott,” he said, beard clogging up his words. “Your mother died a couple of years ago.”

“She was my sister,” piped up Andrea, “She wasn’t ready for a baby. It just wasn’t a good time for her. She didn’t tell Lucian and asked me to take you away. Karl helped me distract Lucian and get out of there on Ponyta. She died two years ago last week in her sleep. Lucian still keeps in contact. He thinks we went off to have children of our own, so if we were together he’d think you were ours. I have faith in you, Samantha. You have the courage both me and my sister had.”

“How much courage could she have had if she couldn’t handle having a baby!” Samantha cried, “Now my father doesn’t even know who I am, I’m miles away from my real family, and I have no way of getting out of this hell hole!”

“Yes you do.” Karl said, looking at the floor.

“What do you mean?” She asked. He grabbed a Pokéball and passed it to her.

“Take your Squirtle and Ponyta will walk you up the hill.” He smiled at her, “I want you to know none of this was my idea. I love your mother, I really do. You weren’t mine, but I treated you exactly the same as we came to treat Abbott. You go find your father and become what makes you happiest.” He kissed her on the forehead and walked into the back of the shop, waving to her. She wanted to cry.

“I’ll miss you both,” she cried, hugging Andrea. “But I have to do this.” Andrea nodded.

“Shall I tell Abbott you’ll be back soon?” she asked, teary eyed.

“Yeah,” Samantha said, “Tell the little guy I’ll be back soon.” She left through the front door, prepared to leave everything behind.

“Calm down, Ponyta!” Samantha shouted, as the Fire Type galloped up the mountain at the back of the village. Being encased by mountains had its advantages, but the disadvantages outweighed them by a long shot.

They made it to the peak when Ponyta decided to bolt down the other side. Holding on for dear life, Samantha noticed a familiar face at the bottom.

“STOP!” she bellowed. Screeching to a halt, Samantha nodded to Nolen. “You must have walked fast.”

“Just like I told the Professor,” he smirked, “I want to be a champion at everything.” Winking, he showed her two Pokéballs. “I already caught a Wurmple and a Weedle on the way down. Where’d you get the Ponyta?”

“My dad lent it to me,” she admitted, “Help me get up and down the mountain. I’m about to send him back.” She placed the shrunken Pokéball in the saddlebag. “Go back home, Ponyta. Thanks so much. I’ll see you soon.” With that, Ponyta ran up the mountain side as quickly as before.

“Wow, that Ponyta’s Agility looked awesome,” Nolen cooed, mouth wide open.

“It’s not as cool when you’re on there,” Samantha said. “Anyway. I’m Samantha Acacia. You are?”

He extended a hand, “I’m Nolen Baker.” There was an eerie silence.

“So, where are you headed?” she broke in.

“I’m off to Taupe City,” Nolen smiled, “There’s a race there next Tuesday. I only have four days until then, so I have to scoot. Where are you off to?”

“I’m going to Ochre City to find Professor Lucian Acacia,” Samantha stated, “I’m not sure how to get there though.” He began jogging.

“I’m not sure,” he said between breaths, “But I’m sure we can ask someone in Taupe. Come with me!” He was smiling madly now.

“Okay,” she said, feeling she couldn’t say no, “I could probably do with the company.” The pair began walking.

“So,” Nolen began, “You’re really big for a ten year old aren’t you?”

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Okay, here's the next installment. Still no reviews. My cookies are going cold.

Chapter 4 – Grey Plains

Samantha had been walking for hours, and she felt like she could collapse where she stood.

“How are you still jogging?” she asked, drooping her arms. He turned, jogging on the spot and winked at her.

“Champions don’t get tired,” he laughed. Within a breath, he collapsed on his bottom, holding his stomach. “We do get real hungry though.” They both laughed before finding a nice patch of grass to sit in.

“Come on out, Squirtle,” Samantha said calmly, letting her new Pokémon out of her Pokéball. She seemed to have recovered some energy now, and sat patiently on the blanket Nolen pulled out of his bag. “How did you fit that in there?” she asked him.

He shrugged, “I don’t have anything else in there.” He grabbed three Pokéballs from his belt and rolled them onto the floor. “Come on out guys.” The Bulbasaur she had seen earlier appeared from the fading light, but the two other Pokémon were new to her.

The first was a tan insect, wriggling back and forth. It didn’t seem to have a mouth, but the horn on its head was equally as big as the barb at the end of its tail.

The second was more colourful. Covered in red fur, its horn was a lot shorter and yellow, sticking out of a protrusion of red fur at the top of its head. At the end of its bumpy body were two yellow barbs, parallel to each other. Its suckers were helping it move slowly towards Nolen.

“Samantha, meet Bulbasaur, Weedle and Wurmple,” Nolen smiled, pulling a chocolate bar out of his bag.

“Hi guys,” she said, looking sceptically at him, “I thought you packed nothing else.”

“Oh yeah,” he said flightily, looking up at the clouds.

Samantha got a tin of hotdogs out of her backpack, before stopping in her tracks.

“I forgot to bring anything to cook with!” she cried out, falling backwards on the ground. When she sat up, there was a chocolate bar sticking in her face.

“Have one of these,” Nolan said, “We’ll get some things when we’re in Taupe City.” Finishing eating, they packed the blanket into Nolan’s empty bag. “I want a battle. I need to be in tip top shape for the race in Taupe!”

“Okay then,” Samantha said, “I guess I’ll use Squirtle.” Squirtle waddled to her front and prepared herself.

“I’ll use Wurmple,” Nolen said, but Wurmple disregarded him. “Come on, Wurmple, do as you’re told!” Still the Bug Type didn’t listen to its trainer.

“Squirtle, use Tail Whip!” ordered Samantha. Squirtle wiggled her tail at Wurmple; aggravating it enough that it began to battle.

“Okay,” Nolen jumped, “Use String Shot!” The Wurmple shot slimy string from her mouth across to Squirtle, who sidestepped it.

“Now Squirtle, Tackle!”

“Use your Tackle too!” shouted Nolen. Both Pokémon charged each other, and like in her previous battle, the two Pokémon were locked. In the end, Squirtle was the stronger, knocking the smaller Pokémon down.

“Now Tackle her again, Squirtle!” Squirtle took footing before charging into the furry Pokémon again, knocking her out completely.

Returning the Wurmple to her Pokéball, Nolen sighed. “I’m not sure any of my Pokémon can compete in the rave right now,” he admitted, “None of them are all that fast.” He returned Weedle and Bulbasaur to their Pokéballs and picked up his backpack.

“Return, Squirtle,” Samantha said, idly returning her starter to the Pokéball the Professor had given her. “We’re heading for the Grey Plains, Nolen. You might find something there. Or maybe you could just give the race a go anyway.” Nolen had dropped his bags.

“The Grey Plains?” he asked, looking mortified. “How do you know we’re heading for there?”

“There was a sign there,” pointed Samantha, looking back on herself. “What’s so wrong with that?”

“We’re going the wrong way!” Nolen shouted, before dramatically punching the floor. “This isn’t the way to Taupe City! The only thing this way is…the Grey Plains. I’ve never heard of anything after it.”

“Then lets go exploring,” Samantha smiled, “We could be the first ones to find a place further than it.”

“I want to get to the Race in Taupe City,” he protested, but Samantha had already begun walking towards it.

Thirty minutes later, the pair had reached the start of the Grey Plains.

“Why is the grass grey?” whined Nolen.

“I guess because it’s the Grey Plains?” Samantha answered, sarcastically. “Just maybe.” Although the concept of a grey stretch of land befuddled her too, she was intrigued at what could be at the other end. “Let’s go, Nolen.”

They began walking, much to the aggravating moaning from the younger boy. Coming across a grey tree every now and then, Samantha became suspicious that the Grey Plains were completely empty. There only seemed to be quiet and loneliness there.

“What was that,” Samantha asked, hearing a whimper coming from a grey bush. Walking over, they noticed part of the grass moving.

“Yeeeeeeeeeen!” a small voice came, jumping from the grass and onto the pavement. It was made up of mainly grey fur, with darker grey flesh at its muzzle.

“A Poochyena!” Nolen shouted, pointing at the creature, causing it to run through the plains. “Look at it go! I want it.” He grabbed a Pokéball from his waist and threw it in the air, “Bulbasaur, stop it with Leech Seed!” His starter came out of the Pokéball and shot a small seed from her bulb.

The seed caught up with Poochyena easily and attached itself to the Dark Type, opening up and wrapping around the Pokémon. As a red aura surged around Poochyena, the Pokémon cried in pain. Nolen picked an obviously empty Pokéball and threw it at the opponent.

“Going once, going twice,” Nolen grinned, simultaneously with the shuddering of the Pokéball. “Gone!” he shouted, as the Pokéball opened up and released the Poochyena, now with no seed. He looked mad. It began using Tackle on Bulbasaur. “Aww, man! Bulbasaur, use your Tackle!” he shouted.

Bulbasaur charged the Dark Type, easily knocking it back. Nolen picked the Pokéball back up, “Pokéball go!” He threw. The Pokéball hit and sucked the Poochyena in once more, shaking more violently this time.

“Come on,” Samantha whispered, watching intently. The Pokéball stopped wobbling and hovered over to Nolen, who caught it winking.

“I got it!” he shouted. There was a sound coming from all around them. As Samantha turned, she saw much larger versions of the Pokémon all around them. The fur had turned mostly black, and followed back to the tail. There were now six of them, and all of them were growling.

“RUN!” she shouted. The two sprinted as fast as they could away from the way they’d come. Turning around slightly, Samantha saw they were gaining on them, and also that she was beginning to fall behind from Nolen with Bulbasaur. The Grass Type couldn’t keep up.

“Return!” Nolen shouted, pulling his Pokémon back into the Pokéball. “There’s a cave over there!” he called, pointing to an opening in a small grey mountain. “Can you make it?”

“I’m not sure,” cried Samantha, beginning to falter. She could feel her legs failing her. Why had she sent Ponyta back so soon? Nolen stopped and grabbed a Pokéball. Turning, he sent out his Weedle. “What are you doing?” she shouted, running past him.

“Saving you,” he said, unusually calm, “Get into the cave. Weedle, String Shot!” The small Bug Type shot the sticky fluid at the oncoming Dark Types. “I can take these Mightyena. Get in there!” Samantha nodded, running once more. She turned to see Nolen send out Bulbasaur too, not being able to use Wurmple or Poochyena in their condition.

Mightyena were the much bigger and evolved forms of Poochyena. These must have been its family. She reached the cave and could barely see Nolen anymore. All she could see was that he was holding four of them at bay. The other two were gaining on her quickly.

“Get in here!” shouted a voice as an arm pulled her into the cave.

“Quickly, Shellder, use Barrier!” shouted another voice, female this time. A small purple shell stared at the cave mouth, and something shiny yet transparent appeared there. The Mightyena slammed up against it, only to be knocked back. They seemed to lose interest immediately and ran back towards Nolen.

“Are you okay?” a third voice asked, deeper than the first male.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Next chapter ready. Sorry about the shortness, but I only wanted the Grey Plain ending in this chapter. No other story. So yeah, it's short because its only the conclusion of the Grey Plains.

Chapter 5 – Stuck

“I’m fine, but my friend isn’t,” Samantha exclaimed, pulling out of the mains grip. “He saved me from those Mightyena. He’s battling all six of them now. He’s only just started his journey like me. We have to help him!”

“I’m afraid we can’t until the Barrier has worn out now,” the female said, apologetic, “I’m so sorry. As soon as it does wear off, we’ll head out and save him. It should only be a few minutes.” She held out a hand, “I’m Celeste. Celeste Cruet. You may have seen me on TV.” Samantha shook her head.

“Either way, this is my camera man, Alan Mayer,” she pointed to the man who had grabbed her arm, who was small and stocky, but still attractive. Samantha held up a hand to acknowledge him, “And that is Giggles, a TV Clown. You see we were filming some comedic scenes here in the Grey Plains when the Mightyena attacked us too. There’s no phone signal here either, so we can’t get in contact with anyone. We tried battling them, but they’re much too strong.”

“They attacked you too?” Samantha asked. “Did you catch a Poochyena by any chance?” The man in the clown outfit nodded.

“I did.” He said, confirming his voice to be the second male voice she had heard. “I thought it would make good TV for a comedy battle.”

“That will be why they attacked you,” she accused, but then remembered something, “I forgot to tell you who I am, by the way. I’m Samantha Acacia.” This brought a smile to Celeste’s face.

“You mean my message got to you?” she asked, beaming at Samantha, “The Natu I sent to you and the Professor got where with was supposed to go?”

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Samantha said, before remembering about her father, “I’m from Ivory Village. I came here with my friend, Nolen, the one who’s battling all the Pokémon out there.”

“Speaking of your friend,” Alan said, looking out of the cave, “It looks like the Barrier has worn off. Lets go get your friend.” They stood up, only to hear a growl.

“What was that?” asked Giggles. The four turned to see a bulky grey creature, appearing to be made out of stone. “A Rhyhorn was in here the whole time!” They ran, but Samantha stayed, pulling Squirtle’s Pokéball from her waist.

“You go save my friend,” she said, throwing the ball into the cave, “You’ll have a better chance of helping him than I can. I’ll get rid of this guy. Can I borrow a Pokéball please?” She asked, realising she had no Pokéballs with her. Giggles passed her an empty one before running with Celeste and Alan.

“Rhyyyyyy!” the Rhyhorn shouted at her. Holding his horn into the air, the Ground Type began charging six white-glowing orbs above his head.

“Get ready Squirtle,” Samantha called, as the orbs turned a bright red. Combusting in the air, they flung themselves towards Samantha’s sole Pokémon. “Use Mirror Coat!” Squirtle began glowing purple again, until covering in a layer of purple energy. The fire covered orbs beat Squirtle as they were knocked back. Being fire, they didn’t affect the Water Type that much.

They were sent back into the angered Pokémon, who was similarly unaffected. After another roar, it charged at Squirtle bearing its horn.

“Get out of the way, Squirtle!” Samantha shouted, but her Pokémon disobeyed. Instead, she drew in breath and spewed bubbles at the Pokémon, knocking him off balance. “You learned Bubble? Use Bubble!” Samantha shouted, proud. Squirtle shot more bubbles at the off guard Pokémon.

Rhyhorn began powering up its six orbs again, blazing their way towards Squirtle quicker this time.

“Knock them back with Bubble, Squirtle!” Samantha shouted. The bubbles and orbs made contact and exploded near Rhyhorn, knocking him over. “Pokéball go!” she shouted, throwing a Pokéball. On its way over, she noticed it was blue on top with small red indents. This must have been a Great Ball. It opened up and sucked a clawing Rhyhorn inside.

It shuddered more violently than Poochyena had, but after four jumps into the air, it finally gave up resisting capture, and the flashing light inside the button went out. She had caught Rhyhorn, her first capture. She was elated, but quickly ran out to help Nolen. Seeing she was still far away, she threw the Great Ball into the air again, sending her newly captured Pokémon out.

“Rhyhorn, I’m getting on you, so be good,” she warned. He seemed much more relaxed now. They must have scared him. She pointed at the Mightyena, only three of whom were still there, “Use Horn Attack, Rhyhorn!” Rhyhorn smiled as his trainer and the Squirtle settled on his back. He moved his horn down and began charging forward, quickly gaining distance.

Samantha noticed that Weedle had gone, and was replaced by Kakuna, a similarly tan-coloured cocoon, Weedle encased inside. It seemed motionless. As she got closer, she heard Nolen shouting.

”Use Harden again, Kakuna!” he shouted just as one of the Mightyena bit it. “Bulbasaur, get him off with your Vine Whip!”

“Chinchou, use Thunder Wave again!” shouted Alan, his Pokémon a blue fish with two yellow orbs dangling from its head. It shot electricity at one of the Mightyena, stopping it from moving.

“Shellder, Icicle Spear!” Celeste shouted, her purple shell revealing its deep black fleshy insides. It stuck out a tongue, shooting three large Icicle’s at the paralysed Mightyena, just as Rhyhorn smacked into the one behind it. The one Rhyhorn had hit ran away, and the shards of the Icicle Spear were splashing on Rhyhorn. Returning him to his Pokéball, Samantha saw the paralysed Mightyena caught in another Great Ball, as the final one was chased off by the vines from Bulbasaur’s bulb.

“We got rid of them,” Nolen cheered. “Return, both of you.” Kakuna and Bulbasaur were both pulled into their Pokéballs, as Celeste and Alan returned their own. Giggles still seemed to be shouting at a puzzled pink Pokémon, who was content to dip his tail in the grey water.

“Return, Slowpoke,” he said, pulling it back in. “Congrats on capturing the Mightyena, Celeste. And Samantha, I guess you caught that Rhyhorn too. That must have been a toughie.”

“It wasn’t that bad, actually,” she admitted, “Squirtle really came through and learned Bubble.” She returned the tired Pokémon to her Pokéball. “Are you okay, Nolen?”

“Sure,” he smirked, looking cheerful again; “It prepared me even more for that race in Taupe on Tuesday.” The group laughed.

“So where are you headed now?” asked Alan, “Are you going to go back to Ivory Village?”

“No,” Samantha shook her head, “We’re going to carry on through here to see what’s on the other side.” Giggles choked.

“The only thing on the other side of here is Ebony Village,” he said, grimly, “I came from there. It’s a bad place there. They fight outsiders. Go back.” They all felt spooked and decided to get away. Reaching the edge of the Grey Plains wasn’t easy, but they did it eventually. Finally seeing green grass and brown tree-trunks, Samantha found another sign pointing to the other side of Ivory Mountain. It read: ‘Taupe City ’.

“I think you want that way,” chuckled Giggles. “We’re going to head into Ivory Village. Alan wants to buy some flowers.” And with that, the three of them headed up the mountain path, as Nolen and Samantha continued straight towards Taupe City.

“Did that guy know he had a red nose on?” asked Nolen, completely oblivious.

“I hope we get there fast,” Samantha groaned. They walked on, Nolen looking more confused than ever. She had caught Rhyhorn. His Weedle evolved into Kakuna. It seemed their journey might finally be getting to a start. Now she could start searching.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Can people stop reading and not commenting please. It's getting hard to know if/what I'm doing wrong.

Chapter 6 – The Trials

Reaching Taupe City wasn’t the easiest of fetes, especially with Samantha needing so many breaks, but the two had finally made it. They spent the night in the Pokémon Centre, sleeping in a rather expensive but comfortable room.

“I slept so much better last night,” Samantha stretched in the lobby, collecting their Pokémon from the nurse. “Sleeping in fields on that blanket just isn’t as comfortable as its cracked up to be.” She winked at Nolen, who obviouisly enjoyed it so much he couldn’t wait to get back to it.

“Excuse me sir,” the nurse said, holding his arms out with Nolen’s Pokéballs on, “Would you like to wake up and take your Pokémon? I’m sorry to sound rude, but I have a lot of people to see today. You know, everyone getting ready for the Race trials today.”

“TODAY!” Nolen woke up, calling out as if he had been punched in the stomach. “Today is the Tuesday, the day of the big Race!” He grabbed his Pokéballs and blurted a ‘thank you’ as he got out of the door.

“Thank you,” Samantha smiled at the nurse behind the counter as he walked over to another trainer. Walking out, she saw Nolen on the floor, lying in front of a tall man. He had short dark hair and wore a black suit.

“Do you mind!” he shouted at Nolen, looking at Samantha, “Keep your friend on a leash. I don’t have the patience to deal with this today.” With that, he walked into the Pokémon Centre.

“Are you okay, Nolen?” she asked, helping the young boy up, “What a jerk!” They laughed and walked around town.

The town in itself seemed quite bleak. The buildings all seemed generic and plain; nothing like the subtle elegance Samantha remembered from Ivory Village.

“See that building over there,” Nolen pointed. He was signalling a large stadium in the centre of the city. Samantha nodded, “That’s where the trials are going to be held.”

“Sorry,” Samantha apologised, “Is this going to be the actual race?”

“Not yet,” Nolen stated, walking closer to it, “These are like the preliminaries. The Race comes after that, and only includes the winners of the Trials.” She could see his hand shaking.

“Lets go then,” she said, placing a hand on his shoulder, “I know you’ll do great.” They began to run towards the building.

Getting there was easy. Getting in was the hard part. There were huge queues of people outside, waiting to watch the trials. Seeing a door to the side, Samantha pulled Nolen inside.

“Sam, this is meant to be for staff only,” Nolen said, trying to walk out of the door again.

“Come on, this is a quicker way in,” she smiled, winking, “Besides, with that queue you’d never have got in.” He nodded in agreement before giggling like a child. Walking further in, they saw the signup desk through a door.

“I’d like to put myself into the trials,” Nolen told the receptionist.

“You’re a bit late aren’t you?” she sneered. “I suppose I can get you in last minute. Don’t let it happen again. Name?”

“Nolen Baker,” he recalled, “I’m ten years old and I’m from Ivory Village.” The receptionist noted all the information down and told him to go through.

“Not you!” she pointed to Samantha, without even looking at her. “Wait in the line with everyone else.” Nolen looked back, but Samantha gave him two thumbs up.

“I saw a door heading to the stands in the corridor back there,” she smiled, “I’ll come through there again. Don’t worry.” After that, she exited through the door and re-entered the staff entrance. Seeing the stands through a door, she got into the stadium at the same time as the first paying viewer. She saw a large field with a racetrack.

In the centre was a small crane holding a ring. This confused her. The stands had begun to fill up, and the contestants were filing into the benches around the edges. She waved to Nolen as he made eye contact, but he seemed too nervous to wave back.

“Welcome to the sixteenth annual Big Race competition!” a man spoke down a microphone. He appeared at the opposite side to the contestants. “As always, lets keep it clean. Let the trials begin!”

Samantha was upset that there wasn’t an explanation, but as the rounds went by, she knew exactly what was happening. Four trainers were pit against each other, all using one Pokémon to grab the ring in the middle. It seemed anything went, as she’d seen two trainers use a Flying Pokémon.

It was Nolen’s turn. He stepped into a corner, and the camera focused on him and the others separately. He was up against two trainers a little older than him, and one girl a few years older. She noticed he had sent out Bulbasaur. The other trainers were using a Zigzagoon, a Dodrio and a Rattata.

The horn blew, and all four trainers began commanding manoeuvres from their Pokémon. In a few seconds, Nolen had already won. Samantha saw two long vines extending from the ring to Bulbasaur’s bulb. That was one smart kid.

As the rounds went by, Samantha got steadily more and more bored. She only wanted to see him race now. At the end there were fourteen contestants left for the main race.

“If I can have everyone’s attention please,” the announcer boomed again. “Thank you. Now we will have two seven-Pokémon races before the fastest three in each face each other in the final. Are you all ready!” The crowd cheered. Samantha was sure she even heard one screaming.

It was getting dark by the time the second race started, which included Nolen and his Poochyena. The floodlights had been turned on. As all the Pokémon took their positions, Samantha saw Nolen talking to Poochyena. As the gun shot, all seven Pokémon ran. Poochyena was second to last for most of it, but took over two more, to be in fourth place. There was a fast looking blue creature in front of him.

It looked like a small child, but muscular. The Machop was just fast enough to stay in front. Growling, Poochyena sped up, taking over just before the finishing line, taking him into third place, and forward into the final race. Samantha saw Nolen jumping up and down and began cheering for him. He had waited so long for this.

Outside, she met him from the stadium.

“Did you see how fast Poochyena got at the end!” he shouted, causing everyone to turn around.

“I did,” Samantha said quieter, “Remember to use your inside voice. Well done, Nolen.” The two hugged for the first time since they had found each other again in the Grey Plains. “Now we need to get back to the Pokémon Centre and rest you up for tomorrows big race.” Nolen nodded, jogging back with her. When they got in, the man in the suit was still there.

“Why if it isn’t the little children from earlier,” he said smugly, talking to the nurse, “Come to knock me over again?”

“Sorry about that,” said Nolen, “I just got into the Big Race tomorrow.” He was smiling at the man, but the adult didn’t return it.

“Why are you telling me?” he smirked, turning to the nurse, “So I walked up to the judge and asked why it was closed. He tells me the Gym Leader’s busy. First old Wattieza decides to release all my Pokémon, then the Gym Leader decides to bail out on me. I need a place to stay.”

“You can stay here,” the nurse said, a lot more rushed than earlier in the day, “All of the rooms are taken. There’s room in my bed though.”

“I wouldn’t expect anything more from a cutey like you,” the man said, winking. Samantha walked forward and grabbed their key card.

“Get some sleep, Nolen,” she said, “I’m so proud of you for today. You really stole the stage in the first Trial. Good night.” She got into her bed as he lay down on his blanket on the floor.

“Good night, Sam,” he yawned, before quickly setting into a sleep and snoring.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Okay, I start work again tomorrow. So the chapters will be a bit further apart. Please read + review.

Chapter 7 – Races & Battles

They awoke the next morning to claxons and fireworks. The celebrations for the Race had started.

“Come on Nolen, wake up,” Samantha shouted to the still half-sleeping boy. “Your race is today, remember.” Looking at him, she saw the same thing she did every morning. He wasn’t too good in the mornings, despite his usual exuberance in the daytime.

“Can’t they make it wait so I can sleep more?” he asked. Throwing his clothes at him, Samantha began getting ready. Although she had been wearing the same clothes since she left Ivory Village, they were still relatively clean. She’d buy new ones as soon as she got to a department store, and figured out a way of income.

Nolen was ready now, and so was Samantha. Gathering their things, the two walked downstairs, giving their key card to the very shifty work.

“Have fun last night?” Samantha asked, nonchalantly. The nurse blushed and took the card from her. Laughing, she left with Nolen and headed to the Stadium once more. The door was closed this time, so she was forced to wait outside.

Getting in, she found she had a much worse seat than before, but she could still see. The contestants were setting up their Pokémon at the starting line.

“Good evening folks,” bellowed the announcer through the microphone, “Thank you all for returning for tonight’s even. Tonight will decide the winner of the big race!” He paused to allow the cheering to end. “Anything goes in this race. Pokémon will attack each other as the run a full lap of the track. Remember, folks. This is it!”

As the bullet was shot and the Pokémon ran, Samantha couldn’t help noticing how nervous Nolen seemed to become in the stadium. Perhaps he hadn’t expected battling.

She saw Poochyena, far away in the track. She was behind all but a Shroomish, although Samantha wasn’t sure why anyone would choose the small mushroom for a speed battle. She could hear the commentator in the background, bleating on about battles near the front.

The Shroomish shot a powder at Poochyena, paralysing her in her tracks. Standing still and unnoticed, she began to growl. The growl turned into a loud roar, but soon a howl could be heard throughout the stands.

Seeming to break out, Poochyena ran as fast as she could, but didn’t manage to catch up in time. She had lost. That strength boost had cost her the time she needed to at least come in fifth place.

Samantha couldn’t imagine the anguish Nolen had felt. She just wouldn’t talk about it, which would probably be the best thing for both of them. He didn’t deserve to feel down at such a young age. The winner was a Mightyena, a Pokémon she was very familiar with by now.

Waiting outside again, she greeted a quiet Nolen. He didn’t seem himself at all, hardly speaking until they were far away from the stadium. He looked up and finally had expression in his face.

“That’s the guy that won,” he said in awe, “His Mightyena was amazing. Did you see the Shadow Ball it shot at the Ponyta that tried to get in front?”

The man was in a white suit, which Samantha thought clashed terribly with his blatantly dyed purple hair.

“I’m going to go and ask for advice on how to help Poochyena become the best,” Nolen said, running towards the man. Grabbing him, Samantha suggested they slow down

“We don’t want to scare him away,” she insisted. They walked at a leisurely pace behind him, finally ending when he stopped outside a huge black building, almost as big as the stadium. The guy from the Pokémon Centre was waiting outside there.

“What’s he doing here?” asked Nolen, grabbing the back of Samantha’s waistcoat.

“I have a bad feeling,” she began, looking at the confused boy. “I think this is the gym. And I think that the guy who won the Race is the gym leader.

“Finally!” they heard the rude guy from the Pokémon Centre say. He had changed clothes, and looked a lot better. He was wearing burgundy trousers, with an orange waistcoat covering the matching burgundy shirt. “I’ve been waiting for three days now.”

“I’m truly sorry,” the Gym Leader said calmly, fixated on the guy’s forest green hair.

“I’ve gone through so much since then,” he started, whining, “I’ve only recently come back to the city after a bad conversation with Professor Wattieza, just to find that he’s released every single one of my Pokémon. I only had the Gible I had with me left, and I had to go and catch a Rattata outside the city.”

“Why would he release all your Pokémon?” the Gym Leader asked. “He hasn’t done anything like that before.”

“He’s going senile, it would appear,” he said, “You see, I told him that I would be switching from Contests to trying out the Collen League. I said I wanted a fresh start with Gible. It seems he took it literally. There’s nothing I can do now though; the Pokéballs are already emptied and reset.”

“So you’re here to challenge me?” the leader asked, politely.

“I am,” the trainer said, “I, Olivier Hartman, am challenging you, the Gym Leader of Taupe City to an official Gym Battle. The stakes, your Black Badge.” The gym leader smiled.

“I accept,” he said, unlocking the door, “Would you mind if my friends over there watch us?” He pointing to Samantha and Nolen, who were at the time standing by a tree.

“Those punks?” Olivier laughed, “Sure, maybe they can learn a thing or two.” Samantha and Nolen came closer, walking into the gym with the two of them. Nolen didn’t seem too happy about this, and was content to cling to the back of her skirt.

Inside looked even bigger than the outside had. The rooms were lavishly decorated, and as they travelled through, Samantha couldn’t help but feel awed.

“Will a two-on-two battle do?” asked the Gym Leader, as they approached the battlefield.

“Since that’s all I have, I think it’ll do nicely,” grimaced Olivier, getting into position. The lights went out. “What’s going on here!” bellowed the man, angered by the lack of light.

“I’m Darius,” the gym leader said, “The gym leader with power over Dark Types. I fight my battles in the dark. A new voice droned in the background.

“This will be a two on two battle between Darius, the gym leader and Olivier Hartman,” the male voice went on, “The prize will be the Black Badge. The challenger will be able to exchange his Pokémon. The Gym Leader will not.”

“Thank you, Randolph,” Darius called, before a bright light exploded in the air. Samantha felt Nolen clinging onto her. “Come on out, Skorupi!” The light disappeared and Samantha was sure Maston could see as little as her.

“I choose you, Rattata!” Olivier said. Although she couldn’t see him, Samantha could tell he was worried. This was going to be an almost impossible battle to win. The light left the room just as the three saw Skorupi lunging at Rattata.

“That’s right, use Bite, Skorupi!” The rest was inaudible to Samantha. The next thing she knew they were outside in the light.

“I’m sorry I beat on your Pokémon so hard, Maston,” Darius said. Olivier shook his extended hand.

“I’ll be back. Don’t you worry about that.” With that, he made his way to the Pokémon Centre, Samantha and Nolen in tow. “Are you two going to keep following me?” He asked.

“Most likely,” smiled Samantha. “I’m Samantha Acacia. This is Nolen Baker. We’d like you to travel with us.” Nolen nodded and began jumping towards the man.

“I don’t intend to travel anywhere,” Olivier snorted, “I’ll be training here with Rattata and Gible until we’re strong enough to beat him. And any other crappy Pokémon I can capture on the outskirts.”

“You could go to the Grey Plains,” Nolen happily suggested, “Samantha got a Rhyhorn there. And I got a Poochyena. And Celeste caught a Mightyena!”

“Celeste,” Olivier considered for a moment, “Celeste Cruet? THE Celeste Cruet?” Samantha nodded and Nolen jumped some more. “Either way, I wouldn’t go to the Grey Plains if my life depended on it. It’s much too dangerous there.”

“You should come with us,” Samantha nodded, “We’re headed to Ochre City. There’s a Gym there, isn’t there?” Olivier nodded.

“And there’s a Gym in Flax Town on the way,” Nolen put in, “You could get new Pokémon and so much training in on the way. Then you can come back here.”

“It’d be so good for the both of us to have an experienced trainer with us,” Samantha admitted, “We need you and you need to travel to other cities anyway. It’s win-win.”

”Okay, okay, I’ll do it,” Olivier laughed, “So, Nolen Baker and Samantha Acacia. I’m Olivier Hartman.” He shook both of their hands, “Lets get back to the Pokémon Centre. There’s someone I need to say goodbye to.”

Once in the Pokémon Centre, Samantha and Nolen both convinced Professor Redwood to hold Olivier’s Pokémon from now on. Sending Rattata back, Olivier bought the three some supplies and Pokéballs.

“Why did you send Rattata back, Olivier?” asked Nolen.

“I only caught it so I could have some backup in that Gym Battle,” he confessed, “Now I can train something else from scratch. Build up some relationships with them again.” Kissing the nurse, he walked out with Samantha and Nolen.

On the way out of Taupe City, Samantha told Olivier her story, and Nolen expressed his views on Competitions. They exited the city and saw a sign pointing to their destination. Slate Cave.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Here's yet another chapter for noone to review.

Chapter 8 – Rivals: Clean Slate

Samantha, Nolan and Olivier walked closer to the Slate Caves. A huge network of caves and tunnels were connected together underground. The place was famous for its abundance of the Pokémon Ralts. A small Psychic Type with green ‘hair’. Through the green head, an orange horn was protruding, and they wore an eerie off-white gown.

Olivier had already let Samantha and Nolen know his wants of a Ralts, and so they decided to go through it, rather than around. Once they were in the dark interior, Samantha noticed Nolen holding onto her again.

There were noises coming from inside, soothing noises that scared all three of them. Pulling out a Pokéball, Olivier walked in front of them. The noises were getting louder, finally so loud it almost pierced their ears.

“Stop using Screech, Meowth,” a young voice called. As the sound died down, the group saw a cream furred Normal Type Pokémon, claws bared and hissing at them. “Well if it isn’t Nolen Baker.”

Looking at the direction of the voice, Samantha saw a young boy, obviously the same age as Nolen. He was wearing what looked like green hiking gear, boots and cap in tow.

“Kieran Callaghan!” shouted Nolen, losing his fear and replacing it with anger. He grabbed a Pokéball and threw it. “Come on out, Poochyena!” Poochyena looked around as it emerged, seemingly bored. It obviously wanted more racing.

“I wouldn’t if I were you,” Kieran mocked, “I have entered into Gym’s. I already have the Black Badge. I doubt your “racing” can compare really. I saw you back in Taupe. Pathetic.”

“I’ll show you one day,” Nolen quietened. Holding a hand to his ear, Kieran laughed.

“Why not today,” he said, sternly. “Fury Swipes, Meowth!” His Pokémon pelted at Poochyena and clawed it maniacally. Samantha could hardly see it moving. Almost immediately, Poochyena had fainted. “Return your weakling, Nolen. Show me what you can do in a few years.”

Laughing, he exited the cave behind them. Returning Poochyena, Nolen cursed under his breath. He pulled two Pokéballs out.

“I’m going to catch the next Pokémon I see,” he mumbled, “No one is going to stop me becoming what I want to be. Especially not Kieran Callaghan.” He said the boys name with utter hatred.

“What’s the deal with you and Kieran?” asked Samantha. She was answered with a look, and only a look.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” He said. Suddenly, there was another shout behind him.

“Miiiiin!” it called. Turning, Nolen threw his Pokéballs in terror. They both hit an object and pulled them in, rocking no the floor. Perplexed, the three looked at the Pokéballs.

“Did I just catch something?” Nolen asked. Picking them up, he sent whatever was in them out. They were two yellow Pokémon. The one standing with its arms crossed had red ears and a red plus-shaped tail.

Along with red cheeks and red paws, it shouted “Pluuuuuuh!” rather angrily at the trainer who had just caught him by mistake.

The other, who was jumping on the spot with a smile, had blue ears and cheeks. To go with her blue paws, she had a blue minus-shaped tail.

“Miiiiin!” she shouted again, jumping into a confused Nolen’s arms. The other turned his back.

“Aww,” cooed Olivier, bending down, “Looks like you caught a hyper Minun. Hah, and a grumpy Plusle.” He laughed heartily and dramatically, until the Plusle electrocuted him.

“That must have been a Thunder Wave,” observed Samantha as Plusle mocked Olivier’s laughing, “It looks just like the Thunder Wave that Alan had his Chinchou use.”

“You’re right,” Nolen said, stopping to giggle as Minun climbed over him, “I think I should keep them. They’re fun.” After a short fuss from Plusle, and another tickle from Minun, he returned them to their Pokéballs.

“Are you alright, Olivier?” asked Samantha, helping the temporarily paralysed man up.

“Why did I agree to this,” he sighed. Picking his Pokéball up, he again took the lead, heading further into the cave.

“Run, Nolen!” shouted Olivier as he ran from a huge grey snake. The snake was made of stone and had been chasing them through the cave. “Come on out, Gible!” he called as he through his Pokéball. A small blue Pokémon emerged, fins on its body, which was mainly made up of its mouth.

“Eyoooooooooh!” came the roar of the Onix.

“Use Dragon Rage!” Olivier shouted. The small Pokémon threw a blue/green sphere at the giant opponent, only injuring it slightly.

“Come on out, Squirtle!” yelled Samantha, keen to help.

“You help too, Kakuna!” called Nolen, sending out his Bug Type.

“Use Sandstorm, Gible!”

“Poison Sting, Kakuna!” shouted Nolen. Gible span, whipping up a large Sandstorm, while Kakuna shot poisonous barbs from his miniature claws.

“Now, Squirtle,” Samantha moved forward, “Use Bubble!” The bulky Water Type shot the bubbles at Onix, knocking him down.

“Pokéball, go!” cried Olivier, throwing an empty Pokéball. It rocked vigorously before stopping. “I’m sending that one back as soon as we get out of here.” They laughed before moving further on into the cave. It was getting even darker as they moved in.

“Isn’t there anyway we can see in this?” asked Samantha, clearly getting agitated with Nolen grabbing onto her.

“I’m not sure,” replied Olivier, “It would take a Pokémon capable of creating light. Flash would be a great asset, one that I’m sure I could have used in the battle with Darius. But I don’t have a Pokémon with that attack.”

“I might!” shouted Nolen, completely unexpectedly. He grabbed his two most recent captures, throwing them into the air. The light filled the cavern for a second, before disappearing again. “Plusle, Minun,” he greeted, with opposite responses from the two, “Do either of you know Flash?”

The two Pokémon looked puzzled. “Can either of you light up the room?” Minun began jumping up and down, charging energy in her cheeks, before a light from Plusle’s rear end propelled him into the excited Pokémon, knocking her over.

Thus, an argument ensued. With both Pokémon attempting to use Thunder Wave on each other, there were a lot of sparks flying around.

“STOP!” shouted Olivier, who had just been hit with yet another spark. Both Electric Types were laughing.

“So can you, Minun?” Nolen asked. Minun called out, before a bright glow came from her ears. Seeing she was nodding, Nolen bent down to hug her, catching the bright ears in the face.

“That is Flash,” said Olivier, recovering from his recent recurrent paralysis, “You can tell because it’s attached to her. The only other attack would be Sunny Day, which is used with the weather. These are some interesting Pokémon.”

With Plusle returned to his Pokéball, Samantha, Nolen, Olivier and Minun walked on. Now the cave was lit, Nolen had stopped pulling on Samantha’s skirt. Turning, she saw he was now holding his new Minun in his arms, smiling. He seemed to be growing up by the second, she was sure he hadn’t been that tall before.

Looking down, they saw another Onix, this time part of the floor. Breaking out with a great roar, the four fell through the hole left behind. The screams echoed throughout the entire cave, as three young trainers fell into darkness.

Crazy Weavile

Um... your nose OK?
Your description isn't bad, per se, you just need more of it. For an OT fic, the plot is quite nice, what with the whole subplot about her parents, but your grammar is bad- you even placed a period instead of a question mark at one point. Your human characters are excellent, but the Pokemon. with the notable exceptions of Plusle and Minun, seem robotic- they never disobey commands, they never get time out of the Pokeballs, etc. Overall, it's a promising fic with some glaring problems that keep it from being truly exceptional. Fix the problems, you've got an excellent fic.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Cheers. I'll try and improve on some of the Pokémon's personalities.

For now, here's the next chapter.

Chapter 9 – Slate Cave

Lifting her head, Samantha saw the light from Flash was no longer there. Looking around, she couldn’t see much in the dark, but she knew neither Olivier nor Nolen were with her. Minun wasn’t even there. She was alone.

Feeling around, she found her bag and another. It was Nolen’s. She hoped he was at least with Olivier. Maybe they could make friends while looking for her. She’d wait here. Grabbing some of the burnable stuff in her bag, she placed them on the floor and grabbed Rhyhorn’s Pokéball.

“Rhyhorn, use that fire attack you have!” she called. As the flaming orbs lit up the cave, Rhyhorn knew where to aim them. As the items burned, Samantha sat down with Nolen’s blanket. “Come on out Squirtle,” she said, sending her other Pokémon out for company. “We’ll wait here until they find us.” She sat near the fire to keep warm, holding Squirtle close to her.

Nolen sat up, feeling his head. How it ached. He couldn’t see Minun’s light anymore.

“Minun, are you here?” he called into the darkness. There was no answer. “I hope she’s alright.” He pulled another Pokéball from his waist, sending out Plusle. As he began to get used to the darkness, he saw Plusle turn away from him.

“Pluuh!” he shouted.

“Plusle, you need to help me this time,” Nolen said, frowning, “Minun has gone missing with the others. I don’t have anything else with me. We have to find them. Can you sense Minun?” Plusle looked around for a bit before frowning and shaking his head.

Nolen was disappointed. “Where are you, Minun!” he shouted.

“Are you okay?” asked a voice.

“Samantha? Nolen?” Olivier called. He must have lost the both of them in the fall. Using the impressive Flash move Minun knew, he travelled through the cave. He and Minun seemed to have landed in the same place.

He hoped they were okay. They were both young, especially Nolen. Perhaps they were together, that would be better. Samantha could look after him better anyway. Since they had met only a week ago, Nolen had not warmed to him. Most people did.

It wasn’t just the young boys fault. Olivier hadn’t exactly tried to interact with him. Samantha was more his sort of friend anyway, if not a bit younger than he’d usually talk to.

The thing was, he just couldn’t seem to get into a conversation with the overexcited boy. Whenever the three were talking as a group, he seemed to concentrate all his attention onto Samantha. It might just be that he had made a bond with her long before they met Olivier, but he could still be polite.

“What are we to do with your little trainer,” he commented to Minun. Minun sighed and held up her hands, before jumping up and down; creating a Thunder Wave that stunned a group of Zubat from the cave roof.

“Raaaaa!” shouted a small voice, before a blue aura shot both Minun and the Zubat back.

“What is that?” shouted Olivier, throwing a Pokéball at one of the retreating Zubat. A small white Pokémon with a green head appeared, clearly agitated. The orange horn on its head was encased in blue psychic energy.

“Miiinuh-Miiin!” came a shout from Minun, standing up and ready to battle.

“You want to battle the Ralts?” Olivier asked her, the reply a mere nod. The Ralts smiled. After a quick twitch, there were numerous Ralts surrounding the two. “Can you handle this Minun?” She nodded again, before starting to dance.

She began glowing cerise, sending hearts at all the Ralts. One of the illusions ran forward, blushing.

“Did you just use Attract, Minun?” Olivier asked. She turned and winked at him. Blushing himself, he laughed. “Good work, Minun. Any other surprises?” With that, Minun held her hands steady in the air in the direction of Ralts.

Underneath the Psychic Type, a purple hole appeared, bubbles of toxic acid somehow pouring up into him. He then held his stomach and sat on the floor, poisoned.

“A Toxic?” Olivier cooed, amazed, “Your trainer is going to love you. Pokéball go!” He said, throwing a Pokéball at the poisoned Pokémon. Rocking a few times, it stopped, drawing itself back to Olivier. “Thanks Minun,” he said, stroking her head. She wriggled out of his grasp and climbed up on his shoulder, reinstating her Flash attack.

“Lets go find someone.”

“Who are you?” asked Nolen, scared, as Plusle charged up electricity. The boy held up his hands to signal a stop.

“My name’s Jasper,” he said, “Jasper Gale. I’m stuck in here just like you. My Girafarig has Flash. I noticed you here, and I wondered if you’d like some help.”

“I could use a lot of it,” Nolen frowned, “My friends are in this cave. And my Minun could be by herself.” Jasper considered this for a while, adjusting his red cap and jacket.

“Do you still have her Pokéball?” he asked. Nodding, Nolen handed it over. His large yellow Pokémon stepped up.

”Use Odour Sleuth, Girafarig.” He requested. The Psychic type sniffed the ball for a few seconds, before sniffing the ground and walking ahead of them. “This way. By the way, what’s your name?”

“I’m Nolen,” smiled Nolen, “Come on Plusle, and let’s go find Minun!” The two ran after Jasper and his Pokémon.

Samantha held Squirtle. She had run out of things she could burn now. Rhyhorn was just keeping the orbs held in the air. She knew he wouldn’t be able to do it forever, but there was no choice for now.

There was a noise from inside the darkness.

“I hope it’s not another Ralts,” she sighed, “Way too many of them down here.” It was true. She had already had to fend off four of them, all taking strength from Squirtle, even if she had got stronger. The noise was getting louder. “Are you ready, Squirtle?”

She nodded. Standing up to walk over, she signalled for Rhyhorn to stay put. Moving over into the shadows, she heard a more distinctive sound.

“Miiiinuuuhh!” it shouted. Samantha recognised it.

“Minun!” she shouted, holding the figure. It was a lot taller than she had remembered Minun being, and for a second she thought she had the wrong idea.

Minun jumped onto her shoulders and ran around, and Samantha realised she was holding Olivier.

“Nolen isn’t with you?” she asked him. He shook his head, now lit by the fire.

“I haven’t seen anyone but Minun and the Ralts I caught,” he smiled.

“You caught one then, huh,” she commented. “Well done. Now we need to find Nolen.”

“I think it would be best if we stayed here,” Olivier said, “Think about it. He’ll be looking for us too. If we leave now, this will be the next place he looks. Sods law. Let’s just stay put and wait for him to find us.”

“I suppose you’re right,” Samantha said, crossing her arms, “I just don’t like the idea of him out there by himself.”

“Pokéball go!” shouted the teen. Nolen watched the ball locate the small metal Pokémon across the cave and suck it in. The red essence was always a bonus for him. He loved Pokémon, although he couldn’t stand the dark. Dark Pokémon scared him too, although Poochyena was too cute to scare him.

“Well done, Jasper!” cheered Nolen, jumping up and down near his new friend. Jasper winked and held up his thumb.

“Thanks,” he smiled, as the Pokéball’s magnetic trainer location shifted it into his hands, “And thanks to you Girafarig. That Aron’s Aerial Ace will come in handy once we get to Flux Town. Those Gym Leaders are hard.”

“Did you beat the gym leader in Taupe City?” Nolen asked. The trainer nodded.

“Eventually,” he said, “It was hard. I only had Girafarig, Turtwig and Ralts at the time. I didn’t use Ralts though; two Psychic Types in Darius’s gym is a bad idea. Turtwig was crushed almost straight away. Girafarig didn’t last long either.”

“Where are they now?” asked Nolen, walking along with the trainer.

“Turtwig is back with my old Professor,” came the reply, “I couldn’t stand seeing him hurt all the time. I asked the Professor to look after him properly. That was a year ago, back when I was fourteen. I’m a lot stronger now. But I’ve been here for a few days, so I can’t be that good.” He winked, making Nolen smile.

“Come on, Jasper,” he challenged, kneeling down with Plusle next to him, perplexed, “Let’s race to my friends.” Nodding, the older boy cheated, running earlier. “Get back here!”

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Okay, so here is Chapter 10. Still only two reviews. Still going to be coming slowly with me working now. But here it is.

Chapter 10 – Light

“I wonder how long it’ll be until we get out of here,” Samantha asked, shivering from the cold. Rhyhorn didn’t have the energy to keep up the fire.

“I don’t know,” Olivier whispered, holding her close, “That Hidden Power pulled through for long enough. Now we’re going to have to just wait until Nolen finds us. Look at Minun.” He pointed in the dark to the small furry Pokémon, curled up asleep on his lap.

“She’s freezing,” Samantha said, tears forming in her eyes, “Just like you and me. I don’t know if we’re going to make it through.” She wiped her eyes, and saw Squirtle looking at her. “Do you want to go back into your Pokéball, Squirtle?”

Her starter shook her head. “Squiiiir!” she shouted, tapping Rhyhorn’s Pokéball.

“Rhyhorn is too tired to keep up the attack, Squirtle,” Samantha sighed. She could feel Olivier shaking on her side. Squirtle crossed her arms and began stomping her feet. “Come back here Squirtle!” Samantha shouted, but to no avail. Squirtle ran off into the tunnels, and Samantha was too cold to stand.

“It’s freezing, isn’t it,” Nolen laughed, still jogging. Dragging his feet behind, Jasper was being nudged along by Girafarig, who had decided she’d do better at the back, than leading the way at the front.

“You have way too much energy,” he called out, but he heard no reply. Looking in front of him, he saw Nolen collapsed on the floor. “Oh no!” He ran to him, picking him up. His legs stung from the cold.

“Jasper,” he said, looking up at the older boy. “It’s really quite cold, isn’t it?” They both laughed.

“You’ve got to get up,” he smiled, picking him up and placing him on Girafarig’s back. There was a sound from further in the cave. “Stay there, Girafarig. If anything comes to you, use Confusion.” His Pokémon nodded.

Walking into the darkness, he grabbed another Pokéball. The noise became louder, and faster. Like something was running towards him.

“Squiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir!” came the shout, as a small blue blur smacked into his stomach.

Getting his ground again, he threw the Pokéball. “Come on out, Ralts!” His green headed Psychic Type emerged, ready for battle. But the battle never started. The Squirtle had stopped running and was hiding in its shell.

“Squirtle!” shouted a human voice. A girl came out from the darkness. “Hey! Why are you battling my Squirtle?” She walked over to her Pokémon, picking the shell up. “Come on, stop using Withdraw. You’re coming back to wait for Nolen with us.”

“Did you just say Nolen?” asked Jasper, shocked. “There’s a small Nolen looking for his friends back there. He’s on my Girafarig.”

“Are you serious?” she smiled, apparent even in the darkness, “Olivier! I found him!” She hugged Jasper tightly. “Thank you,” she whispered.

“No problem,” he said, smiling back, “Girafarig, get over here!” He called back where the light had been. “It looks like my Flash has run out. She can still find me, but…I don’t think we’ll get out of here easily.

Girafarig walked behind him, as a taller man came from the direction she had come from.

“I’m Jasper by the way,” he introduced himself, as the girl was hugging Nolen on the Pokémon, “Jasper Gale.”

“I’m Samantha Acacia,” she said, crying. “What’s wrong with him?”

“I’m not sure,” Jasper admitted, “It might be hunger, but it could be worse. We just need to get out of here as quickly as we can.”

“That might be easier said than done,” the man said, “I’m Olivier Hartman. We’ve been in this cave a day now, and that should be enough time to find a way out. Even injured as we are. Samantha has hurt her leg. My arm isn’t what it was. Nolen is ill. We need to hurry out of here.”

“There’s a light!” shouted Nolen, pointing aimlessly up to the cave roof. Sure enough, when they looked up, there was a light above. There was a hole to the outside.

“I know how we can get out!” Jasper shouted, “Do any of you have a Pokémon that can use Confusion?” Olivier nodded, picking a Pokéball from his waist. “Okay, bring it out.”

“I choose you, Ralts!” he shouted, throwing the Pokéball. There was a deafening boom from inside the cave, and a rumbling. “What was that?” He shuddered, as his Ralts appeared next to Jasper’s own.

“Just do this quickly,” Jasper replied, “I don’t want to stay in here anymore. Girafarig, Ralts, use Confusion to lift us up to that hole. Olivier, get your Ralts to do the same.”

“Ralts, use Confusion just like he said,” ordered Olivier. At first, the Pokémon was shaking his head, but after hearing the sound again, he began using the attack, looking spooked. “Does Ralts know what’s coming?” Olivier asked.

A blue aura surrounded them, and the four trainers, Squirtle and Minun rose slowly to the roof of the cave. As the light was getting closer, the noise was too. There was a smash from inside just as they reached the surface. Grabbing the edges, they pulled themselves and Nolen up.

A huge stone creature broke through inside. Olivier’s Ralts appeared to be growling at it, before realising he couldn’t do anything. Another twitch a second later, and the three Pokémon were outside with the trainers.

“Did you just use Teleport?” asked Olivier, in shock for a second, before being pulled up.

“I don’t know what that was,” Jasper shouted, “But by the sounds of it, it’s big and it’s going to chase us if we don’t get out of this place. He was right. A loud noise boomed, and a huge beam of energy was expanding the hole they had just come out of. “Run!” he shouted.

They ran, Girafarig carrying Nolen on her back. The Pokémon were running with them, as fast as their small legs could carry.

“Regiiiiiii!” came another roar from the cave mouth. But the trainers weren’t listening. They were running for safety as the beam stopped and a rocky limb gripped the sides of the hole.

Reaching the outskirts of Flax Town, Jasper took Nolen off Girafarig and returned the tired Pokémon to her Pokéball.

“You’re going?” asked Samantha.

“Yes,” replied Jasper, “I’ve got something I need to do before I head into Flax Town. I’m sorry this chapter has been so short, but we will meet again.” He returned Ralts to her Pokéball, hugged both Samantha and Olivier, and walked away.

“It’s always sad to lose a new friend,” contemplated Samantha.

“I’m used to being by myself, to be honest,” Olivier scoffed.

“So…is anyone going to take me to a hospital?” piped up Nolen, sitting up. The two laughed, before picking him up and walking towards the brown city.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Wow, I can tell this has sparked an interest.

Chapter 11 – Flax Town

After getting into the town, the three had headed to the Pokémon Centre to ask for directions to a human hospital. The nurse had told them humans were treated at the Pokémon Centre itself; they left Nolen and their Pokémon with her.

It turned out Jasper was right, and Nolen had just been starving. He had, however, passed out from the hunger, and needed to be kept overnight.

As such, the next day, Nolen ate as much as he usually did, much more than Samantha and Olivier ate, both of whom were obsessed with weight.

“Why can’t I eat as much as you and stay in shape?” asked Samantha, whining, as Nolen forced down another chocolate muffin. She stared down at her own plate of salad.

“Because I’m only ten years old,” he said with a mouthful of crisps, patting Minun’s head. Minun, in her own special way, was showing love to her Plusle friend with a flurry of tongues and faces.

“We just have to face it,” Olivier said, “We’re never going to be that thin again. The best we can do is try and keep a healthy look on life, without getting too scarily obsessed.”

“Then why are you only eating one Pecha Berry?” Samantha grinned.

“Humph, I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said, knocking his pink fruit on the floor. “I’m not eating at all now.”

“Why not just have a burger or something?” asked Nolen, smiling wide.

“Are you calling me fat!” bellowed Olivier, turning around and throwing his face up into the air. “Why did I agree to this?” Nolen looked up into the air with him.

“Who are you talking to?” he asked, bemused.

“Kill me please,” Olivier cried, holding his face in his hands. Samantha chuckled behind him, and Minun giggled in her own little way. “Why does everyone always humiliate me?” he asked.

Plusle shocked him with a Thunder Wave, causing louder laughs from Samantha and Nolen. Minun high-fived Plusle, who smirked, before walking under the table.

A large flying type Pokémon fell onto the table, scaring Plusle out form under it. There were brown and cream feathers falling around quietly, and there were sparks of electricity flowing around the Pokémon.

“Alright, which one of you was it?” shouted a girl, around Samantha’s height, but a bit more petit. “Who shocked my Pidgeotto?” She looked shiftily at both Samantha and Olivier, obviously not doubting Nolen’s integrity. Minun held her mouth with both paws in an attempt to stifle a laugh, but failed.

Turning around swiftly, the girl turned on the electric type, pointing a finger at her. “It was you, wasn’t it?” She moved forward to pick Minun up, but was stopped by Plusle, who jumped in between them growling.

“Plusle, down!” shouted Nolen, pulling out his Pokéball to return the Pokémon.

“Look, miss,” Olivier addressed her, brushing off sparks, “Our friends Plusle was attacking me for a joke. We’re ever so sorry that it hit your Pidgeotto here, but I don’t think that justifies you to lunge for his Pokémon.”

Samantha was staring at Olivier, dumbfound. “How did you get up from that?” The three disregarded her comment.

“What are you going to do to apologise?” she asked them, still focusing her attention on Minun. “I think it’s up to all of you now to make sure my Pidgeotto’s okay. I’ll need her for a contest next week.”

“Next week is my birthday!” shouted Nolen, shocked. “I can’t believe I forgot. It’s not going to be long now before I’m eleven. I’ve always had my birthday before Callaghan!” He was looking maniacal.

“We’ll have to make sure we celebrate it, then,” Samantha smiled, “My birthday isn’t far away now actually.”

“I’ve only just turned eighteen,” informed Olivier, “A few weeks before I met you. It’s why I went back to Taupe City.”

“I wonder if mom and dad will send me a Pokémon for my birthday,” Nolen contemplated, turning away from the mousy haired girl, who was getting increasingly agitated. “They sent my brother a Bellsprout for his birthday last year.”

“That reminds me,” came an outburst from Olivier, “I need to use the Pokémon Transfer System. I want to make room on my team by sending Onix and Zubat back.”

“You caught a Zubat?” asked Samantha.

“I did, yeah,” he replied, “I caught it just before I got Ralts.”

“How did you beat both?” asked Nolen.

“I used your Minun, actually,” replied Olivier, pointing to Nolen’s electric type, “She knows how to use both Attract and Toxic.”

“Toxic is a Poison Type attack, right?” asked the youngest group member. Olivier nodded, getting the reply, “Alright! You’re the greatest Minun!”

“Lets be off to the Pokémon Centre then,” suggested Samantha, looking to her rear, “Would you like to come with us there?” The prettier girl grimaced, returning her Pidgeotto to its Pokéball.

“I suppose I could,” she shrugged, “It’d be nicer than going it alone again. I’m Harriet Cedar.” She extended a hand to Olivier, “And who are you, cutey?”

“I’m Olivier Hartman,” he smiled, “And I’m gay. So don’t go there.” A wink later, and he moved aside for Nolen.

“I’m Nolen Baker,” he said, “And I’m not gay!” A huge grin showed he meant business, making Samantha have to push him out of the way.

“I’m Samantha Acacia,” she said, “Welcome to the team.”

The newly established foursome walked their way back to the Pokémon Centre, with Minun happily clambering over Olivier’s shoulders.

“It’s here Dragonite,” said a man. His long blond hair covered his eyes, but his distinctive facial features could be seen in the dim light. Prominent cheekbones formed into a set smirk. The Pokémon he was addressing was taller than him. Only taller by a foot, it was an amber colour, with a beige underbelly.

It had no chin to speak of, and its amber body went back into a long tail. It had small scaly wings on its stocky back.

“It’ll only be a few hours before he’s here,” he said, still smiling. “It must have only been a few hours now since he broke out of Slate Cave. We’ll have to take care of it soon.”

“Niiiiiiiiiiii,” called the Dragon Type, in an eerie voice.

“Nurse, how is my Pidgeotto doing?” asked Harriet, addressing the female nurse behind the counter.

“It’s badly injured,” she replied, “There are internal tears from the paralysis. I suggest it stays here for at least three weeks. If you’re not going to be here by then, I could send it to your storage centre.” Harriet shifted her gaze towards Nolen.

“Look what your Plusle did!” she shouted. “Now my Pidgeotto isn’t going to be ready for the contest next week. I’ll lose with only Charmander and Snubbull!”

“I’m sorry, Harriet,” frowned Nolen, “There’s nothing I can do though.”

“Nurse, I’ll be here in three weeks time,” Harriet sobbed, “I’ll wait for my Pidgeotto and get her when she’s ready.”

“Can I have your number?” the nurse asked, “I’ll call you and let you know if there are any changes.”

“You mean I can’t stay here?” she asked, teary eyed.

“It’d be better for you if you weren’t.” The nurse stated. Harriet nodded, giving the nurse a piece of paper she had wrote her number on. The four left the hospital desk, turning to the rather overeducated looking man behind the far left desk.

“Can I help you?” he asked, looking down.”

“Yes,” replied Olivier, “I’d like to make contact with Professor Sampson Redwood. It’s to rearrange my team.”

“Of course, sir,” the technician smiled, clicked around on his keyboard. “If you’d like to move over to Computer 3, please.” Olivier thanked the man and made his way to the third computer along the wall near a window. On it, a smiling Professor Redwood was present.

“Hello again,” he exclaimed, “Olivier, Nolen, Samantha. And who is the new girl?”

“My name’s Harriet Cedar, Professor,” she mumbled, “I’ve heard a lot about you. Most of it was from my mother. She knew you, you see. Professor Harley Cedar.”

“You’re Harley Cedar’s daughter?” he asked, “Well great to meet you. I take it you’re taking full advantage of your mother’s recollection system, then?”

“Actually, my mother died two years ago,” she sighed, “Heart attack, you see. She wasn’t all that careful, and ended up getting shocked by an Electrode. It sent her into arrest. I have nowhere to send my Pokémon now.”

“Is that why you didn’t let the nurse send your Pokémon home?” asked Samantha, placing her hand on the girl’s petit shoulder.

“Why, you can use the same system these three are using, my dear,” the Professor replied.

“You’re too kind,” thanked Harriet, “But I can’t take that offer.”

“I insist,” the Professor pushed, “I’m sending my details to the nurse at your current location. The Pokémon you need sent home can be sent now. You need not wait for, what Pokémon was it you were waiting for?”

“It’s my Pidgeotto,” Harriet replied, holding back a sob, “She’s in bad shape.”

“Rest assured, your Pidgeotto will get the best treatment here,” he said, “I’ll get the nurse to send her as soon as her tests are over. She’ll be in good hands. Now, was someone here about a team change? Olivier?”

“Is there a reason you assumed it would be me?” the older teen asked.

“It usually is,” laughed Professor Redwood.

“Well you happen to be right this time,” Olivier said, haughtily, “I caught a Zubat and an Onix back in Slate Cave. I want to send them to you for safe keeping.”

“Very well,” mumbled the Professor, clicking some buttons, “Get the Pokéballs ready.” Olivier grabbed two of his Pokéballs, placing them both on a small grove next to the computer. Above them was a machine resembling a laser, which promptly zapped the red and white spheres, causing them to dematerialise.

On the video screen, they could see both of them appearing behind the Professor.

“They arrived here without damage,” he smiled, “Is there anything else I can help you with?”

“Yes,” called out Nolen from behind the three older teenagers. “I’d like to send someone back to you.”

“Are you okay Nolen?” asked the Professor, “You don’t look too good.”

“I want to send you back Wurmple,” he replied, holding two Pokéballs up, “And someone else. I don’t want the others to know whom though.” He was talking quietly, and Samantha could see that he was upset. He placed two Pokéballs onto the machine.

The machine started up, dematerialising the Pokéballs and sending them to Professor Redwood’s lab.

“Your Pokémon have arrived safely, Nolen,” he said solemnly, “And I’m sure your reasons are your own. They’re hard decisions to make at your age. Now, I’m sorry to cut this short, but I have a meeting with someone called Celeste Cruet. Supposedly a News Reporter, interested in the work I’ve done in my field. It was nice to meet you, Harriet. I must dash.”

The screen turned off.

“What did you send back, Nolen?” asked Samantha.

“I sent back Wurmple,” he said, looking at his waist, “And Bulbasaur.”

“Why did you send your starter back?” asked Olivier, before remembering he had once done the same thing.

“I was talking to Jasper in the Slate Caves, and he told me he had sent back his Turtwig,” he replied, “To keep him safe from harm. He was always getting hurt. I’ve noticed that Bulbasaur was going the same way, and I don’t want her to get hurt.”

“That’s an honourable thing to do, Nolen,” smiled Harriet, before walking over to him and giving him a hug.

“Let’s go explore this place,” Samantha suggested, “I think I saw a lighthouse on the way here.”

“Can we stop for Ice Cream on the way?” asked Nolen.

“Sure we can,” said Olivier. He grabbed Nolen and pulled him out of the door, Harriet and Samantha jogging after.