• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Seaside resorts, a thing of the past?

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I was recently at a seaside resort that i used to visit as a kid and it was like a ghost town, by seaside resort i mean places like Blackpool, Rhyl and Morecambe.

Most of the shops and amusement arcades had closed down and quite a few hotels were up for sale.

I wondered if it was due to the recession, or have people lost interest in these kind of resorts and that's why everything is shutting down.

Discuss.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
I'm pretty sure it's because of the recession and that the seaside resorts are shutting down because of people losing money needed for maintaining it among others.
I'm not to sure about people losing interest in these kind of resorts though :/.

Profesco

gone gently
In economic crunch times like this, people are more cautious with their income, and so are less likely to splurge on grandiose vacations and the like, opting to do the popular "staycation" thing if they really want a respite from the hustle and bustle of their working lives. Seaside resorts are something of a luxury, of course (even having the word "resort" in the name!), and luxuries are usually the first expenses to go when money is tight. Naturally, there'd be less business at a seaside resort, then.

DragonRay8

the shadowtrainer
they are nice, but they are too expiensive. but i here you get great morgage. or equidety

Last edited:

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
I think it's a mixture of recession and decreased demand. Obviously, the recession has made it more difficult for businesses in the resorts to stay afloat, and prevented people from going there in the first place.
However, people don't want to go to them as much any more, either. With the increased availability of holidays abroad, 'a weekend in Blackpool' is no longer the norm or the the most appealing option.

Seaside resorts are something of a luxury, of course

Ahahahahahaha. Have you seen Blackpool or Skegness?

Of course you haven't. Stupid question. :/

Last edited:

Strawberry.

Strawberry fields.
There is no such thing here, at least not today. By the sea, and we're a country surrounded by endless of ocean.

In the end, we (the people) decide what to keep, and what to discard. Unfortunately, Homo sapiens, are terrible at making the right decisions.

Surfing_Pikachu

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
It's not much to do with the recession really, at least it isn't for most coastal areas in England. It's basically just because foreign places do it better and the resorts have become stereotyped as old fashioned/dull. They belong to a different era. Interesting fact though, old people and schizophrenics flock to coastal areas.

Erienne

Anime high :D
I just came back from Hilton Head 5 days ago, and there were still a lot of people there. Granted, not as much as last year, but more than a decent amount. Most of the beach was packed...

KingRaichu

Hail to da king baby
Why would people abandon seaside resorts? Who doesn't like the sea?

Dragom master Tryce

Why would people abandon seaside resorts? Who doesn't like the sea?

Have you seen Blackpool sea?
it wasn't nicknamed "Sesspool" for nothing you know.

As for the question, it seems less people want to have your typical beach holiday nowadays, adventure holidays are selling better (white water rafting, safari ect.) and out of those who do want a beach holiday, half have moved abroad (a growing craze now) and a lot of the rest haven't got the money to spare.

treespyro

Vintage much?
Well in Australia, (The East Coast) a lot of resorts are doing well where it is located near beaches around Christmas Time and New Years because Summer here is a scorcher. I don't know about England though maybe it is due to increase of working hours and less holidays by Employees and Employers

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
I'm pretty sure since Blue Snover lives in Manchester that he was primarily referring to English seaside resorts. It has nothing to do with the economy, if anything less money would mean more holidays to English coasts. People stopped going there because holidays abroad become more affordable and who would went to go to Blackpool when they could go...well, anywhere else.

Orihime

OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!
In economic crunch times like this, people are more cautious with their income, and so are less likely to splurge on grandiose vacations and the like, opting to do the popular "staycation" thing if they really want a respite from the hustle and bustle of their working lives. Seaside resorts are something of a luxury, of course (even having the word "resort" in the name!), and luxuries are usually the first expenses to go when money is tight. Naturally, there'd be less business at a seaside resort, then.

The whole irony of this is the fact that if less money is spent, it only worsens the economy