• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Season 9: Battle frontier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got started on season 9; oh god, the voice acting, it's so bad!! Does anyone know if it lasts very long before changing to someone else?? I'm currently on episode two. Ugh.. Brock's voice lol

Ooooooh man! Now, episode 3, Max just called mudshot "an earth type attack" which was super strong against Flaffy which is an electric type..
So these voice actors even have a clue as to what they're doing?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I didn't think the voice change was even that bad to be honest.

I can't say all of them are terrible..
They just didn't seem to put heart into it. You can tell how they got such a pay cut on using them

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Literally created an account and all posts to tell us about how the VA change was bad. FFS I thought we were done with this when Dwail went AWOL.

Lionel_B

You too have been doubling problems from Season 9? In France, it's the voice of Meowth that was changed... It's the same thing... it will never be the same...

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Ooooooh man! Now, episode 3, Max just called mudshot "an earth type attack" which was super strong against Flaffy which is an electric type..
So these voice actors even have a clue as to what they're doing?

Blame the scriptwriter for that one. Voice actors are paid to read what's off the script regardless on if they know anything about the source material. Even in the 4KIDS dub, script errors happened well into Hoenn.

Also, the dub was done more cheaply than 4KIDS, thus why quality went down significantly after the auction. Tom Wayland was a terrible ADR director anyway for just letting the voice actors do what they want with little direction on his part. This could be part of the reason why it took years for the voice actors to get comfortable into their roles. TPCi cared enough to hire voice actors who could imitate the voices the closest, but that meant it didn't matter if they were veteran or amateur voice actors. If you ask me, I think the worst voice is Kayzie Rogers as Max (remember, she was Luffy in the 4KIDS dub of One Piece) next to James Carter Cathcart as Meowth even though he can be a good voice actor. Meowth just isn't his best, and he just hasn't gotten better as the character--his James did, but not Meowth. They should've just brought Nathan Price back in to see if he was interested.

Switch over to the sub if you don't feel you can get used to the voices. If you don't like how they sound now, chances are you're not going to like them in later seasons.

John Trainer

John Trainer
The change was jarring though! I saw how much cheaper things looked and felt and things really went downhill until DP picked back up

YourLieinEevee

The change wasn't that bad. It's been a long time. The actors grew with their characters.

Wonder how long it will take for this thread to be locked...

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
TPCi dub has much better voice acting though...The 4kids dub was terrible. Now at least the voice acting and scripting aren't cheesy and full of censored references to Japanese culture Ash doesn't sound like a six year old girl with a head cold, and Brock doesn't sound drunk...Also fire types beat water types...okay 4kids lol.

WaterTypeWarrior

Just hang in there. The change is jarring at first, but you get used to it after awhile and most of the VAs have gotten much better (with Meowth being the sole exception). Personally, I can barely tell the difference in Ash's voice whenever I go back and watch old episodes now. The Battle Frontier and early DP are really the only seasons that feel off, but that makes sense since Sarah was still getting used to the role back then. As for Brock, you just kinda get used to him having a deeper voice.

The dub has become awful lately: I recommend just watching the Anime in Japanese with English subtitles at this point.

TPCi dub has much better voice acting though...The 4kids dub was terrible. Now at least the voice acting and scripting aren't cheesy and full of censored references to Japanese culture Ash doesn't sound like a six year old girl with a head cold, and Brock doesn't sound drunk...Also fire types beat water types...okay 4kids lol.

I disagree completely, and I think Ash sounds like a woman now doing a raspy voice, while Brock sounds like an old guy, but I guess different tastes.

I guess Houndour are also Houndoom according to TPCi now in XYZ's dub. :p

Last edited:

adamw92

I'm with you on this, I started rewatching the show from the start when Pokemon Go came out and renewed my interest, I was planning to stop at the end of Season 5 but decided to give Season 6 a chance and I enjoyed it, I'm now almost finished Season 9 and debating whether or not to watch Season 10 because while I do want to refresh myself on the show then I don't know if I can stand the awful dub voices much longer.

CelebiAS

Brock's voice was the most improved going from 4Kids to TPCi, imo.
I mean, I went from running in circles trying to find a Japanese version of the first seasons of AG to being mostly fine with the DP dub.

P14

I'm with you on this, I started rewatching the show from the start when Pokemon Go came out and renewed my interest, I was planning to stop at the end of Season 5 but decided to give Season 6 a chance and I enjoyed it, I'm now almost finished Season 9 and debating whether or not to watch Season 10 because while I do want to refresh myself on the show then I don't know if I can stand the awful dub voices much longer.

Well go for it, DP is definetely the best season and the voices get better. Tbh season 9 was only awkward at first but you get used to it, I actually prefer how the new Ash sounds over OS Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.