1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Seasonal Pokemon Anime?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Power Up, Sep 26, 2018.

?

?

1. Yay?

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Nay?

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Power Up

Power Up An eye for an eye my friend

Ok, look, hear me out here. This probably isn't happening any time soon, but I personally think it could really benefit the anime.

Here are what I see could be advantages to doing so.

1. More use of budget(better animation and art)
    2. Tighter storylines and less filler
    3. Better Arcs
    4. Shorter/Concise
    4. More popularity?
    etc...

There are obviously huge disadvantages as the Pokemon anime always promotes the games and making a seasonal anime wouldn't promote the games as much

But, I really think the Pokemon anime should look to making it just about the Pokemon anime and have it not be so influenced by the game. They would of course, still promote by showing new pokes and following the game, but I think a more seasonal anime would also allow for more creativity in creating new arcs and having Ash enter tournaments and such

This would also maybe tie into a follow-up thread about a bigger separation of anime and game

What are your thoughts?

keepitsimple, Trey pokes and Genaller like this.
  2. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

My initial thought is just automatically straight up no, from the perspective of my preference. I've been watching it weekly for 20 years, and it's been the one constant in my life from being a little kid who was just starting kindergarten when it started, to being a grown man who's gone through so many different life experiences. I need a new episode of Pokémon every week, even when I end up disliking the episode, it's still better than having no episode. I've gotten so used to it that I kind of can't imagine my life without watching a new episode every week (the break weeks feel really weird to me) as it's the one constant in an otherwise ever-changing life.

I can't disagree with the points you made, but for other reasons as I've stated, for me, no.

Ignition likes this.
  3. AznKei

AznKei Pump It Up Prime 2 Girl

Even if the show went seasonal, people would still complain that the producers/writers aren't do things in the fans way, so I'll say no.

4. Genaller

Genaller Just don’t care about SM anymore

Wait really? So you’re saying you’d actually have the heap of garbage known as Best Wishes which retroactively butchered the entire series and spat in the face of over a decade’s worth of continuity as opposed to no episodes at all? You might want to think about just how bad some of these episodes truly were as well as the broader negative impact they’ve had on the show as a whole before claiming an episode always > no episode.

keepitsimple likes this.
  5. LilligantLewis

I was talking about my own opinion lol, not some sort of objective analysis. I know you're only capable of objective analyses and I appreciate the ones you do, but my entire answer was talking about my own emotions so it should have been clear I was only being entirely subjective. I also don't care about "the broader impact on the show". I just like watching Pokémon lol. All 3 years of Best Wishes! fell during my college years, and I can't imagine having no episodes at all to watch during college. In fact some great memories I have from college involve Best Wishes! I also don't care about retroactive analysis of episodes, because it honestly holds no bearing on what the future will hold. Until a specific episode airs, we have no idea what will be in it, and after that it's too late to go back and say it would have been better to have no episode, because guess what, it's already aired, so you saying that is actually irrelevant to this thread, which is talking about a potential future format. I only care about having an episode to watch each week. And btw, I really liked Cilan, the 3 battling tournaments, the fact that Iris and Cilan actually battled unlike DP Brock, Iris/Georgia and Cilan/Burgundy, the Bianca gag of getting Ash wet, Stephan, Episode N, Charizard coming back, Dawn and Cynthia coming back, Ash actually battling Giovanni in a main villain arc in the anime for once, etc. Sure there were many things I didn't like like Ash being a noob, Trip, etc., but to say that I would have rather had 3 years of no episodes than episodes that were mostly entertaining to me is a joke. BW is my least favorite series but I still like it more than any other series from any other anime, except maybe Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, because that's how much I love Pokémon. And also I don't really see any negative far-reaching impact of BW's Ash incompetency since he was competent again in XY lol. You sound like the people who fear that LGPE will carry over to Gen VIII, except if those people still make those claims years from now when it's clear that that didn't happen.

keepitsimple likes this.
  6. Genaller

Okay if that’s really how you feel. If you’d still rather have a series that ruined the integrity of the entire show on a critical lvl then there’s nothing more I can say to you on the matter. Also sorry but being accepting of internal contradictions doesn’t making you a bigger fan of the show.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    keepitsimple and LilligantLewis like this.
  7. LilligantLewis

Yeah I'm fine having the "integrity" of a children's show I just watch for fun being "ruined" and being a smaller fan of the show haha. Just trying to enjoy life :)

keepitsimple and Genaller like this.
  8. Genaller

Cool except you’ve made a factual error... Pokémon is and always has been a family show and not a children’s show; there’s a big difference. Also what type of show it is doesn’t excuse contradictory writing :).

keepitsimple likes this.
  9. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I don't think a "seasonal" series is necessary, nor do I find it likely. The anime would almost certainly keep the same writers regardless of the schedule anyway, so I don't think anything plot-related would improve.

10. Things would improve because a seasonal anime allows more time to be spent on the screenplay. It would mean more time to make decisions, which would lead to less strange decisions in the show AND it'd give them time to go back and fix mistakes. All things you can't do in a weekly show and you need to deliver a script so they can get the voice acting.

Never underestimate the effect more time can have on a production. As a professional writer myself, all my best work has come when I've had time to plan, write and revise.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Trey pokes, Genaller and keepitsimple like this.
  11. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Frank/Sam/Porkins F3

I would much prefer it to be seasonal tbh for reasons already stated by other people, btw why not add a poll to this?

LilligantLewis and Genaller like this.
  12. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Well-Known Member

no, I feel like the main story+characters would be rushed/we wouldn't have enough time to connect before they're gone if it was seasonal

LilligantLewis likes this.
  13. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Perhaps do a happy medium, keep the ongoing format but have longer hiatuses for the creative team to cool off and think through later plot lines, like a month or two instead of just a week or two.

14. Power Up

Power Up An eye for an eye my friend

That definitely explains why seasonal anime are so good, I’m pretty sure if people thought seasonal anime was like you said, they would watch it

15. Epicocity

Epicocity Well-Known Member

The biggest thing, and why seasonal anime wouldn't work, is that the Pokemon anime exists to market the games.

A lot of anime either exist as their own thing (like Gurren Lagann et al.) or to advertise the manga that it's based off of. Of course, in that case, the manga is consistently running either weekly or monthly so there's a constant influx of that product. Pokemon isn't so. The games exist but if the anime were to just wink out for a few months, I'm sure it would hurt sales.

On top of it, Pokemon has no real reason to take a break. Most anime are seasonal either because they're envisioned as 1-2 cour series that might expand beyond that, or because they need to give the manga time to create more. Pokemon is created as a long-series to begin with and has no manga it needs to try and stay faithful to.

Without the need to go seasonal and the detriment it would serve to the goal, regardless of the production, I really find going seasonal would be ultimately pointless.

LilligantLewis, AznKei and Dragalge like this.
  16. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Frank/Sam/Porkins F3

Umm no, rushed character stories is a problem that already happens with the weekly anime. That problem is fixed with improving the writing, not by stretching out a series with fillers.

17. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Well-Known Member

I'm talking about a seasonal pokemon anime, where there needs to be a tournament arc, there needs to be 8 main battles previous to said tournament arc (yes, even in SM), ash and his companions need to capture and evolve some pokemon, etc. Unless it's 3 25 episode seasons per region, where it could work but it'd end up shorter than even kanto

18. Apslup

Apslup Complete Mad-Lad

Hell yeah I wish they did it seasonal from the start. I would also say to have episodes be 30 minutes instead of 20 and come out every fortnight instead of weekly to cut down on filler nobody cares about and to have better animation (not bashing the animation of the current anime. I think as a weekly show that is constantly coming out, XY and SM have amazing animation).

I would also of liked them to do the Pokemon Special thing of making the game protag into the main protag of each anime, following closer to the games but they can still do anime-exclusive stuff. This is mostly because I think that Ash can be a pretty annoying and boring character in some series (but i guess that will mean that Pikachu wouldn't be the face of the franchise lol).

AznKei and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  19. Ignition

Ignition Blessed picture

They can still make Pikachu the partner of the new protagonist. Just say each new series is a different timeline/universe

20. Slapstick-Olivia

Slapstick-Olivia Well-Known Member

Na. I personally do not see, why the Pokémon anime has to change so drastically. If you do it, than it would not be Pokémon anymore. I mean, think about it. If you want to change the cast, the story structure, the art design, the writing and the theme of the show, why not create a completely new show from the start. From your description this could easily be a brand new show with new characters and a new story to tell. I really don't see why this has to be Pokémon. It's like with some of the western shows like Rise of the TNMT, Powerpuff Girl 2016, DuckTales 2017 and Teen Titans Go!. They change so much, that all of those reboots could just be a brand new show instead.