• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Second Attempt at Sandstorm Team

KamiStriker

Kami God
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EV = 252 HP, 112 Def, 144 Sp. Def
Nature: Impish
Move Set:
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Stealth Rock
Slack off
My lead pokemon for setting up the sandstorm.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest
Ev's: 252 Sp. Atk, 240 Spd, 16 Hp
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Hp Ice/Electric
Explosion

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Trait: Sand Veil
EV = 252 speed / 252 attack / 4 special defense
Nature: Adamant
Move Set:
Outrage
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Fire blast
My tank for basically owning stuff.

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Nature: Timid
Ev's: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Rapid Spin
Thunderbolt

Roserade @ (Suggestion)
Trait: Natural Cure
EV = 252 HP, 144 Sp. Def, 112 Spd
Nature: Calm
Move Set:
Sludge Bomb
Leaf Storm
Sleep Powder
Hidden Power (Fire)
In my last team people complained about me not having a pokemon resistance to fighting types and me not having a special sweeper. So this is my Special Sweeper and fighting resistance.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Trait: Keen Eye
EV = 252 HP / 96 atk / 140 def / 20
Move Set:
Spikes
Roost
Whirlwind
Brave Bird
People also complained about my last team because I didn't have anything resistant to ground attacks. So I have replaced my Forretress with a Skarmory / another spiker.

This is a Sandstorm team incase you didn't realize. (I'm sure you did.)
Anyone got any advice on my team which can help me improve it?

I will make changes to my team in RED.

Last edited:

KamiStriker

Kami God
Anyone have any comments, advice or suggestions at all?
I don't mind criticism if it is helpful either =D.
This is my first team still just an edit of my old one.
I also need suggestions on what to replace with a spinner or if I can just go without one? Item suggestions would help to.

Chaos Element: X

♪♫ 勝利は私の物です‼
Okay guys the problem which I have found in my team is that I have no spinner to remove spikes. I was either thinking replace Cradily with the Forretress from my last team or Replace Garchomp with an Armaldo?

I've been working on a Sandstorm team as well, and working around common counters was quite difficult. About the Rapid Spinner - in my opinion, not every team needs a Rapid Spinner. Your team has no Pokemon weak to Rock-type attacks, and two resist Stealth Rock (so, 1/16 damage when you switch in Garchomp / Hippowdon). But if you really want a Spinner, consider Forretress and Tentacruel - for a Sandstorm team, I would normally prefer Tentacruel because a Mixed Infernape can often wipe-out over half of an unprepared Sandstorm team.

Now that brings me to my other point. If Infernape happens to carry Flamethrower, Close Combat, Hidden Power [Ice], and Grass Knot, then it could pretty much wipe-out your entire team (definitely if he outspeeds Garchomp), if not at least 3/4 of the team. Therefore, Tentacruel is a highly suggested.

From my perspective, I would prefer to Garchomp over Armaldo - though a bit Overused, Garchomp can wipe-out many common threats in the OU environment. And between Forretress and Cradily, I would keep Cradily... but then again, you need something to counter the great Garchomp-counter, Weavile. With Ice Shard, Speed is virtually irrelevant. But Forretress packs Gyro Ball to take him out in one hit, as well as Aerodactyl who may be wielding Ice Fang.

That's as much as I can say for now... I'm not an expert at choosing the perfect move sets and E.V. and items to go along with it. Hopefully someone else can help - After all, I'm working on a Sandstorm team of my own, and that means it isn't perfect if I'm calling out for advice on the forums. ;)

Hopes this post gets you thinking, though...

EDIT: By the way, you don't always need a Spiker / Stealth Rocker and a Spinner - I don't usually use them as I find them to sometimes be a waste of time when the opponent has a Ghost-type (Often Dusknoir, Gengar, and Spiritomb) to block the Spinner, and a Spinner of their own to remove what you set-up.

Also, you have a bit too many physical attackers - I know, it can be hard to find great Special sweepers for a Sandstorm team, but you've got to move outside the boundaries of using only part-Steel / Rock / Ground-type Pokemon. Heck, go for an Infernape, or something of the like that can beat down the threats to your team. A Mixed Sweeper would be most helpful - especially one that can destroy walls (Hint:Lucario - look into it).

Last edited:

KamiStriker

Kami God
Okay, I have been thinking about what you have said and I have been thinking that I could replace either Chomp or Roserade for a Mixed Ape. But the thing is nearly all decent sandstorm teams have a Chomp but I sort of need the Roserade so that ground / fighting types don't completly ruin my team.

I also think that I might need a Blissey in there execept I am having trouble thinking of what I should replace for them.

EDIT: Other good mix attackers for sandstorm teams are: Caturne, Flygon and Lucario. But I really need a Blissey in there to...
Any other suggestions?

Sadarac

I dunno bout a sandstorm team. a good water type or snowstorm team will take it out. it's very risky to use too many of any one type. to prevent from being wiped out by a water type you need to have them know some very strong grass type moves. atleast one for everypoke.

unknown calamity

Fear the Land Shark!
Are you sure that Garchomp of yours can be used effectively as a TANK? Especially with your given Ev's and Attacks for it...

KamiStriker

Kami God
Are you sure that Garchomp of yours can be used effectively as a TANK? Especially with your given Ev's and Attacks for it...

Are you suggesting that I take Chomp out of my team completely for something like a Blissey or a Rapid Spinner. Or should I just replcae it for another tank / special sweeper. Or do you mean just change the EV's and the move set.
I was thinking I could replace the chomp for a Mix Ape?
Then maybe try and get a Blissey in there?

otherside

Some guy
A Hail team won't take this out because Hail pokes are inferior to Sandstream pokes.

Teams don't NEED a special sweeper, a physical sweeper, a special wall, a physical wall, a tank, a spinner, a spiker, a status absorber, etc. It's suggested that you have some of the basics, but for things like sweeping, it's possibly and even viable to play with only one type (perferrably physical because Blissey will wall the hell out of most Special sweepers).

Hence you can probably replace Roserade (Tentacruel sounded like a good idea. Mixape counter, spins (not that you need it), can lay Toxic Spikes and works as a wall) and possibly Cradily too. Cradily is a beast in Sandstream though, so maybe you'd want to replace Garchomp because he's not really a great tank. His 4x Ice weak hurts him a lot there. Lucario is a sweeper you should consider. He can do physical, special and mixed, which is a bonus, AND he resists sandstorm.

KamiStriker

Kami God
A Hail team won't take this out because Hail pokes are inferior to Sandstream pokes.

Teams don't NEED a special sweeper, a physical sweeper, a special wall, a physical wall, a tank, a spinner, a spiker, a status absorber, etc. It's suggested that you have some of the basics, but for things like sweeping, it's possibly and even viable to play with only one type (perferrably physical because Blissey will wall the hell out of most Special sweepers).

Hence you can probably replace Roserade (Tentacruel sounded like a good idea. Mixape counter, spins (not that you need it), can lay Toxic Spikes and works as a wall) and possibly Cradily too. Cradily is a beast in Sandstream though, so maybe you'd want to replace Garchomp because he's not really a great tank. His 4x Ice weak hurts him a lot there. Lucario is a sweeper you should consider. He can do physical, special and mixed, which is a bonus, AND he resists sandstorm.

The reason I have got the Roserade in there instead of Tentacruel is because it resists ground. I would probably replace Chomp with a Mix Ape but Im not really sure about Lucario beacause I srot of need the T-Tar for sure.
So what you think is replace Roserade of a Tentacruel with Rapid spin and Toxic Spikes, Replace Chomp with a Mix ape.
And the Cradily is a beast like you said so I should probably keep that.
I could maybe get rid of the Skarmory for a Lucario (Mixed/Physical or Special?) and then teach Stealth Rock to my Hippowdon?

EDIT: Is this a good set for a mixed ape for my team?
Mixed Infernape @ Life Orb (If I take out chomp)
Trait:Blaze
EV: 128 atk / 252 speed / 128 Satk
Nature: Hasty
Move Set:
Grass Knot
Stone Edge
Close Combat
Flame Thrower / Flair Blitz

Last edited:

KamiStriker

Kami God
Any other suggestions for my team?
I will probably take out my Roserade for a Lucario. And take out Skarmory for a Starmie.
Then teach stealth rock to my Hippowdon.

nismo32

I have a sandstorm team, and I think I am going to add gengar. I know he is effected my sandstorm, but he gets coverage with thunderbolt, energy ball, etc.
its hard to get by with no electric attacks, and most teams. Your roserade helps with those weak to grass, and HP Fire. What about fire fang over fire blast on garchomp?

Finally, like others said, rocks and spikes does little to your team, I wouldnt go out of my way to get a rapid spinner on it. Whenever I got spiked and rocked, it did not make much of a difference. Hope this helps, good luck

Kingdrom

Turn Away Again
I have built many sucessful sandstorm teams, both offensive and defensive, and I can tell you that you definitely don't need all pokemon resistant to Sand Stream. In fact, you only need 2 or 3 in addition to your Sand Streamer to create a good offensive team. Your more defensive pokemon will most likely be running Leftovers anyways, negating Sandstorm damage. One of the keys of a Sandstorm team, offensive or defensive, should be to destroy other Sandstorm teams. They are extremely common and you should be able to deal with them before their various methods of wearing you down, such as Toxic Spikes, becomes too hard to handle.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
Ev's: 252 HP, 112 Def, 144 Sp. Def
Move Set:
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Stealth Rock
Slack off
My lead pokemon for setting up the sandstorm.
For a lead Hippowodon, you want to be able to get the rocks down early. The special defense allows you to beat DP Boah, who can only 3HKO with Ice beam. In addition, this protects you from random special hits. This Hippowodon can survive a Modest Specs Heatran Fire Blast all of the time and even Specsmence Draco Meteor some of the time. It is essential to beat Heatran because Heatran is a large threat of any offensive sandstorm team. Same with Tyranitar.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Modest
Ev's: 252 Sp. Atk, 240 Spd, 16 Hp
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hp Ice/Electric
-Explosion

Heatran is nearly essential on any sandstorm team to beat down on other sandstorm teams. He also is a good Dragon Resist who can revenge kill Garchomp easily, as well as eliminate other Heatran and Infernape. Infernape is another huge problem to the standard sandstorm team, as he hits SE on Rock, Ground, and Steel. Just don't switch it in on a Close Combat. Heatran also works well in revenge killing CB Heracrosses that cause problems with your team.

Tyranitar is not necessary when you have another sandstreamer, and frankly, it doesn't help the weakness to Ground and Fighting that you proclaimed.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Trait: Sand Veil
EV = 252 speed / 252 attack / 4 special defense
Nature: Adamant
Move Set:
Outrage
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Fire blast
My tank for basically owning stuff.
Don't think of Garchomp as your tank. Think of it as your prized possesion that you value and cherish. Anyways, Yache Berry is to survive those random Ice Beams, HP Ices, etc. Just don't use SD on a Mamoswine.

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Nature: Timid
Ev's: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin
-Thunderbolt

I prefer Specs Starmie because it makes Tyranitar less of a liability. And Tyranitar is a BIG liability to sandstorm teams. Hydro Pump is a OHKO on Tyranitar and it OHKO'es all but the most defensive Heatrans. This works as your mixape counter but is slightly more offensive. Of course the standard spread and moveset works like a charm, but I just prefer this one, so it was the one I posted.

The reason I replaced Cradily with this is because Cradily doesn't really do much for your team. Sure, he walls everything in sight, but you can do that better with Blissey (actually, after the Sp. Def sandstorm boost, Blissey still wall special attacks better with a Calm Nature+ some Sp. Def ev's, which is what it should run.

Roserade @ (Suggestion)
Trait: Natural Cure
EV's: 252 HP, 144 Sp. Def, 112 Spd
Nature: Calm
Move Set:
-Toxic Spikes
-Leaf Storm
-Hp Fire
-Sleep Powder
In my last team people complained about me not having a pokemon resistance to fighting types and me not having a special sweeper. So this is my Special Sweeper and fighting resistance.

This is a defensive Roserade that can set up Toxic Spikes. The
Ev's allow it to outspeed Tyranitars and put them to sleep as well as survive 2 Ice Beams from 269 Sp. Atk. However, if you put an extra 16 Ev's in Sp. Def, Roserade will be guaranteed to survive the Sandstorm damage that comes afterwards, allowing enough time to send out one last Leaf Storm. The choice is yours- you won't outspeed DD Tar if you take out those Ev's for Sp. Def.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Trait: Keen Eye
EV = 252 HP / 96 atk / 140 def / 20 Spd
Move Set:
Spikes
Roost
Whirlwind
Brave Bird
People also complained about my last team because I didn't have anything resistant to ground attacks. So I have replaced my Forretress with a Skarmory / another spiker.

Looks fine to me.
Okay guys the problem which I have found in my team is that I have no spinner to remove spikes. I was either thinking replace Cradily with the Forretress from my last team or Replace Garchomp with an Armaldo?

Ground Types hit Roserade for SE damage with their STAB, remember.

If you make these changes, the team will have no problems with mediocrely constructed Hail teams.

lunar22

Da Boss Nigg@
I would put Focus Sash over the Yache Berry.
why?

be cause if your afraid of being OHKO'd by and Ice attack,then focus sash ENSURES you dont die. on top of that any other attack that could suprise KO you wouldnt either.

So I find Focus Sash a little more ensuring then the berry.

Kingdrom

Turn Away Again
I would put Focus Sash over the Yache Berry.
why?

be cause if your afraid of being OHKO'd by and Ice attack,then focus sash ENSURES you dont die. on top of that any other attack that could suprise KO you wouldnt either.

So I find Focus Sash a little more ensuring then the berry.

Uhh.. Most players use some form of Spikes or even Stealth Rock to negate Stealth Rock. Using Yache Berry ensures that Garchomp survives the Ice attack better, since a 269 Sp. ATk Ice Beam would do about 55% instead. You are left with more HP, and you can switch into Stealth Rock or Spikes without being KO'ed.

And it takes a lot to OHKO Garchomp with a non-super effective attack. A lot. On the special side, a STAB Hydro Pump from 525 Special Attack (Modest Specs Vaporeon, one of the most powerful water attacks) still leaves Garchomp with a slight chance for survival even after Stealth Rock activation.

On the Physical Side, Garchomp isn't even OHKO'ed by a STAB CB Heracross Close Combat. And we all know how powerful that is. That's pretty damn bulky.

I wouldn't worry about it- the only thing Garchomp fears is the 4x Ice weakness.