• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Secrets of the Jungle (23)

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Pokemon movies fall into the same pattern now that’s becoming boring. Ash meets legendary/mythical, teams up with them, villain with some mech tries to destroy nature, Pokemon then dies, other Pokemon or person then uses healing powers to bring them back after crying, then the place gets restored and Pokemon use powers to make plant life grow instantly.
This is was just Tarzan, right down the vine swinging, noticed Koko even did a couple of Tarzan (Disney version) moves as he swung on vines.
I think Power of Us was great in breaking this trend a bit, the plot beats are still there but the stakes are lower there are no real villains in the film besides small fry Team Rocket trio and the film focuses on character interactions and a large cast

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Just did a rewatch now that the movie is in English (officially lol). Really enjoyed it and much better than the trash that was the past 3 movies from Gen 7. Only issue is Ash felt like his existence was purely out of obligation and they’re still keeping the Pokémon Ash’s owns to just Pikachu. Hopefully they go back to the “old”continuity of the movies soon but this movie was still good regardless. 8/10

• Angry
Reactions: NPT

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Just did a rewatch now that the movie is in English (officially lol). Really enjoyed it and much better than the trash that was the past 3 movies from Gen 7.
Wow I never saw you writing that about anything here hehe
It must have been really bad o.o

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Most of the movies after the 13th one have been pretty mediocre imo. I think they should reduce the number of movies to like once every generation or something.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
The new Gen 7 movies were far from trash, honestly they are the reinvention the movies needed after becoming absolutely stale and boring with BW and XY.
Wouldn't really say this to anyone else coz this isn't fair but knowing you, do you just hate it coz it's Gen 7 aka Alola's gen even tho the movies have nothing to do with Alola :p

Ignition

The new Gen 7 movies were far from trash, honestly they are the reinvention the movies needed after becoming absolutely stale and boring with BW and XY.
As I said in the other thread, I feel like people exaggerate how “stale” the format of both the anime and movies were during Gens 5 & 6. I give the Gen 7 movies credit for trying something new but I don’t think the execution works. Everyone rags on the XY movies but I feel as though they’re mostly good. Meanwhile The Power of Us is my least favorite movie behind Keldeo’s. It’s all a matter of opinion.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
As I said in the other thread, I feel like people exaggerate how “stale” the format of both the anime and movies were during Gens 5 & 6. I give the Gen 7 movies credit for trying something new but I don’t think the execution works. Everyone rags on the XY movies but I feel as though they’re mostly good. Meanwhile The Power of Us is my least favorite movie behind Keldeo’s. It’s all a matter of opinion.
To me honestly it felt really stale. Like after the Genesect movie specifically I remember just feeling that, and its more prominent to me coz I felt the movies went stale much before I felt the anime was stale. Hoopa had cool fight scenes and it was nice seeing Ash command Latias Latios and Rayquaza but otherwise the movie was just bad and disappointed in how it handled 'Evil Ash' and Arceus. Diancie I found okayish, was more pissed off at how fake the trailers were, and Volcanion was better than all 3. I dont dislike the BW or XY movies honestly, even find it okayish, it just it doesnt feel new and at this point Im tired of the movies being just for the legendaries which are better off saved for main anime's plot I believe.
The new movie's execution imo is lacking when it comes to the new continuity being cohesive and Ash as a character not using more mons or developing after the platform M20 laid for him, but asides from that Ive really loved the movies as a whole. M20 just made me fall in love with Pokemon again and captured the feeling perfectly and I wanted it not to be same as the anime so loved seeing what we did, M21 is imo the best written movie Pokemon has done in a long time.....and how original it is. Ig it being a character driven movie more and not dependent on a crucial evil third arc and just legendaries duking it out but rather developing characters and showing them off felt really nice and what Pokemon is all about to me.

Ignition

To me honestly it felt really stale. Like after the Genesect movie specifically I remember just feeling that, and its more prominent to me coz I felt the movies went stale much before I felt the anime was stale. Hoopa had cool fight scenes and it was nice seeing Ash command Latias Latios and Rayquaza but otherwise the movie was just bad and disappointed in how it handled 'Evil Ash' and Arceus. Diancie I found okayish, was more pissed off at how fake the trailers were, and Volcanion was better than all 3. I dont dislike the BW or XY movies honestly, even find it okayish, it just it doesnt feel new and at this point Im tired of the movies being just for the legendaries which are better off saved for main anime's plot I believe.
Diancie’s was ok. Really liked how they humanized Diancie and the Carbink. Also really enjoyed the obligatory “movie exclusive characters who show off the current gen starters’ final evolutions” characters as they were all the bad guys for a change with really good designs. Only issue is how forced Xerneas & Yveltal’s inclusion was similarly to Victinis’ forcing Reshiram & Zekrom.

Hoopa’s is the worst of the 3 but it’s one of those things where I love how absolutely all over the place it is. Admittedly I like how it actually tied to the games unlike 99% of movies due to its rings explaining ORAS’s. The returning legendaries were cool but ultimately just flashy hypebait. My main issues are Arceus doing basically nothing and that dumb “evil” Ash thing they kept promoting. Hoopa Unbound became one of my favorites due to this movie.

Volcanion’s is really good and I will die on the hill of this being one of the best. Really enjoyed the dynamic between Magearna/Ash & Volcanion, the supporting cast, and the use of Mega Evolution. Only issue is the ending felt a bit anticlimactic but otherwise I’d say top 5 movies for me personally.

I don’t like when they use the main legendaries for the main anime besides DP’s Galactic arc as they never get the feeling of it right and it often feels rushed.
The new movie's execution imo is lacking when it comes to the new continuity being cohesive and Ash as a character not using more mons or developing after the platform M20 laid for him, but asides from that Ive really loved the movies as a whole. M20 just made me fall in love with Pokemon again and captured the feeling perfectly and I wanted it not to be same as the anime so loved seeing what we did, M21 is imo the best written movie Pokemon has done in a long time.....and how original it is. Ig it being a character driven movie more and not dependent on a crucial evil third arc and just legendaries duking it out but rather developing characters and showing them off felt really nice and what Pokemon is all about to me.
I just can’t care about the new movies. The characters aren’t interesting to me, Ash feels like he’s there just because he has to, and the plots just aren’t intriguing. The pandering to Gen 1 during Gen 7 made not like these movies at all which is a shame because I liked SM and a movie trilogy with the Light Trio & UBs similar to DP’s first 3 movies would’ve been great. Instead we got the first episode AU, a bunch of COTDs featuring Zeraora, and the first movie again.

A character focused movie sounds good on paper but I swear I couldn’t care for anyone besides Snubbull lady & Sudowoodo guy (ik they have names I just don’t feel like looking them up lol). Everyone else felt like extras that I couldn’t be bothered to care about.

The latest movie still has issues but it feels a bit more in line with everything from OS to XY. I actually cared about Coco & Zarude for one. Zarude had a better showcasing than Marshadow & Zeraora combined.

I don’t know maybe I’m just so used to how repetitive and safe this franchise is that the formulaic approach to everything doesn’t bother me. To be clear, I don’t hate these because they’re not what I want. As I said, I respect the fact that they tried something new. It’s just not for me and, like Journeys to its predecessors, I’m hoping they go back to their roots (or at the very least please use the “main” Ash.)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think ICY was pretty good. But then I've never like misty and brock so a movie where they are simply retconned out of Ash's journeys was a BIG sell for me at the time.

Also, the little fanservice with a Charmeleon that obeys Ash, Ash winning the Kanto badges with actual competence, the "what if Ash was in a world without pokémon" nightmare, Ash recalling Pikachu to his pokéball, Pikachu speaking the language of man didn't help matters.

Power of Us was decent too. Just wish Ash had used other pokémon besides Pikachu

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Diancie’s was ok. Really liked how they humanized Diancie and the Carbink. Also really enjoyed the obligatory “movie exclusive characters who show off the current gen starters’ final evolutions” characters as they were all the bad guys for a change with really good designs. Only issue is how forced Xerneas & Yveltal’s inclusion was similarly to Victinis’ forcing Reshiram & Zekrom.

Hoopa’s is the worst of the 3 but it’s one of those things where I love how absolutely all over the place it is. Admittedly I like how it actually tied to the games unlike 99% of movies due to its rings explaining ORAS’s. The returning legendaries were cool but ultimately just flashy hypebait. My main issues are Arceus doing basically nothing and that dumb “evil” Ash thing they kept promoting. Hoopa Unbound became one of my favorites due to this movie.

Volcanion’s is really good and I will die on the hill of this being one of the best. Really enjoyed the dynamic between Magearna/Ash & Volcanion, the supporting cast, and the use of Mega Evolution. Only issue is the ending felt a bit anticlimactic but otherwise I’d say top 5 movies for me personally.

I don’t like when they use the main legendaries for the main anime besides DP’s Galactic arc as they never get the feeling of it right and it often feels rushed.
Honestly you and I have pretty similar opinions when it comes to the XY movies lol. I really dig the criticism that Xerneas and Yveltal were forced into the movie like Zekrom and Reshiram were in Victini's, it was a MAJOR issue for me and its why I prefer that the main legendaries be used for the anime instead coz
a) BW's game story is heavily tied to the legendaries and is a goldmine and while the anime never would have been a proper adaptation of it, just having the legendaries be more involved would have been perfect instead of forcing them into a movie that breaks continuity and half assing Reshiram and putting Kyurem in a movie where it didnt need to be again while destroying all its lore
b) SM imo perfectly incorporated all the legendaries in its main story, allowed them to shine and it was to the benefit of the anime as a whole. I wanted that approach so badly and Im glad JN continued it coz as controversial as Darkest Day arc is, I love it and am glad Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Zacian, Zamazenta and Eternatus got a proper showing in the anime in line with the games rather than being forced into a movies plot which is rich with its characters and the mythical and has great basis but turns up a bad climax coz of the aforementioned forced legendaries.

The Volcanion movie was my fav pokemon movie since Arceus: The Jewel of Life at that time, I do think it has a lot of strong points to it and I think its helped by the fact that while Zygarde was there, it wasn't forced into the plot. The movie's third arc though really is a letdown, something I personally dont feel with ICY or Power of Us. Also with the Hoopa one I love the battle scenes and the lore hints too but it just isnt a cohesive story at all. Its one of those movies which excel at having great clips on Youtube you can watch rather than watching the entire thing. As for Diancie yes I liked its first half too coz of how rich a character Diancie was and her interactions with Bonnie and Serena being amazing.

Also DP is the GOAT when it comes to the main legendaries, not only did we get an amazing showcase of them in the main anime, but also an amazing movie trilogy which got better and better and never broke continuity with itself or the main anime! And we get to see them again in JN soon so yay
I just can’t care about the new movies. The characters aren’t interesting to me, Ash feels like he’s there just because he has to, and the plots just aren’t intriguing. The pandering to Gen 1 during Gen 7 made not like these movies at all which is a shame because I liked SM and a movie trilogy with the Light Trio & UBs similar to DP’s first 3 movies would’ve been great. Instead we got the first episode AU, a bunch of COTDs featuring Zeraora, and the first movie again.

A character focused movie sounds good on paper but I swear I couldn’t care for anyone besides Snubbull lady & Sudowoodo guy (ik they have names I just don’t feel like looking them up lol). Everyone else felt like extras that I couldn’t be bothered to care about.

The latest movie still has issues but it feels a bit more in line with everything from OS to XY. I actually cared about Coco & Zarude for one. Zarude had a better showcasing than Marshadow & Zeraora combined.

I don’t know maybe I’m just so used to how repetitive and safe this franchise is that the formulaic approach to everything doesn’t bother me. To be clear, I don’t hate these because they’re not what I want. As I said, I respect the fact that they tried something new. It’s just not for me and, like Journeys to its predecessors, I’m hoping they go back to their roots (or at the very least please use the “main” Ash.)
A respectable stance and honestly not much I can say considering we just have different opinions and I can understand where you are coming from, the disconnected continuity and a more 'filler' approach ig to the movies while the current gen is ignored can be off putting, and I agree with the former but like the latter coz I dont mind the anime not being tied down by its gen.
The character focus in Power of Us worked for me coz while admittedly I might not have cared for all the individual characters, them coming around like a whole team and their interactions with Pokemon was heartwarming and one of the best climaxes of a Pokemon movie for me, also Ash was reallllly likable, both playing a mature mentor role while allowing the current characters to take spotlight
I do agree with the sentiment that a movie set in alola would be nice. Id like one covering the past tbh, focused on the Tapus and their interactions with the people and covering stuff like Tapu Bulu's rage in UlaUla
While I wish the formula doesnt come back and we continue with the AU, I do hope the execution of said AU improves dramtically and is taken better advantage of

Martinat388

He did the thing!
"Your parents aren't in this world anymore"

Ash seems to be trying to tell us that moving into space isn't a good idea...

diakyu

Am I crazy or did it really seem like Coco was going to go with Ash at the end? I get they don’t wanna have anything connecting to these movies so Coco going with him would cause confusion if he wasn’t there in the next but that felt like a massive missed opportunity. Honestly it’s my biggest gripe, I feel like the movies have mostly course corrected after reaching their lowest point with Hoopa. And honestly they should of just let him join as Ash’s traveling companion for these, the fish out of water gimmick would be never ending.

otherwise this was easily my favorite of these new movies. Felt a lot tighter thought there were some areas where you had to suspend disbelief a lot (Coco seemed to come to grips with human language pretty quick even if they tried to show he wasn’t still fluent). Anyways I really enjoyed it, 8.5/10

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Am I crazy or did it really seem like Coco was going to go with Ash at the end? I get they don’t wanna have anything connecting to these movies so Coco going with him would cause confusion if he wasn’t there in the next but that felt like a massive missed opportunity. Honestly it’s my biggest gripe, I feel like the movies have mostly course corrected after reaching their lowest point with Hoopa. And honestly they should of just let him join as Ash’s traveling companion for these, the fish out of water gimmick would be never ending.

otherwise this was easily my favorite of these new movies. Felt a lot tighter thought there were some areas where you had to suspend disbelief a lot (Coco seemed to come to grips with human language pretty quick even if they tried to show he wasn’t still fluent). Anyways I really enjoyed it, 8.5/10
My take on Coco learning speak like a human is similar to Tarzan. Both learned simple words and phrases at first but slowly developed more vocabulary before being able to communicate in a much more fluid fashion instead of broken sentences. I did like how the movie showed that Zarude did have their own language that they use and were some of the few Pokémon other than Meowth that can talk to at least one human with them understanding what was being said without the telepathy plot armor that a lot of movie Mythicals and Legendaries rely on. I mean only having Zorua using telepathy in its movie and not Zoroark as well was just plain odd and made no sense. And the Swords of Justice just felt random and a bit pointless since the main gang barely did anything in that movie.

NPT

Just a member
I'm glad TPCi is consistently keeping the Japanese soundtrack in the movies starting from M21. The absence of the Japanese soundtrack hurt the M20 dub a lot.

The intro/outro songs were actually really good this time. Must be because they're composed by Cyn instead of Goldfarb. TPCi should hire artists like Cyn and Walk Off The Earth to do the songs more often.

Last edited:

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
These AU movies are incredible my god.

Loved this one. Amazing concept, amazing execution, a story that both made sense and told a great, emotional message, amazing character work and visuals+animation. The power of good storytelling really is crazy because tell me why Zarude is now one of my favorite Gen VII ‘mons, when before watching this I had forgotten it even existed.

Both environmentalism and parental/found family themes are some of my favorites explored in fiction because they’re so rooted in real life and the everyday; I think they were done very well here. Zarude & Coco were so sweet, I love them

Probably my favorite movie, up there with Heroes, M9, and POU.