• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Seeing the Forest for the Trees! (924)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The dub went too far with the music on this one. It completely ruined the episode. It seems no silence is allowed. The comparison is painful.

Nowadays, anime like this is NEVER allowed to rely on silence.

When the first two episodes were aired ahead of their schedule, the dub didn't use music all the time. It actually made me appreciate conversations.

Greneuliest808

Future Graduate
Just watched the dub version of this episode. The voices are decent. The music made this episode a bit awkward on me. I mean, I know the TPCi wants to do the episode differently than Japan, but I think they're taking the music a bit too far. There were times where music should not have been in certain parts of the episode. Otherwise, I like the JP version better.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
Well, Ash is back in gear and we're back to the gym...that is all. Only joking.

My favourite moment was Ash and Serena as it could only be those two together in a heart felt moment. I know everyone doesn't feel the same but when Ash isn't Ash the anime just isn't right.

Also, the flashbacks were really nice. It just gave certain parts of the episode more meaning.

Good episode, onto the next one!

Epicocity

Just watched the dub version of this episode. The voices are decent. The music made this episode a bit awkward on me. I mean, I know the TPCi wants to do the episode differently than Japan, but I think they're taking the music a bit too far. There were times where music should not have been in certain parts of the episode. Otherwise, I like the JP version better.

That's my problem as well. The music in and of itself wasn't too bad this time...it was just that it never stopped. We never had a calm reflective moment ever in the entire episode, which is a shame.

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode, especially for the development of Ash and Greninja. The music in this episode is a different story, though. Surely it doesn't hurt to have a moment of silence, yes?

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Am I the only person that felt the music was way too happy in some scenes, making the whole thing out of place?

STICKTOPIA

I was waiting to see ash and Serena have a fallout. It's nice how her words got to him and he acknowledged it. I liked the ending when greninja did the pokeball thing.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
Am I the only person that felt the music was way too happy in some scenes, making the whole thing out of place?

I was thinking something similar. The mood of the dub version felt different to that of the original, on the same side of the spectrum of emotions but at differing ends.

I'm fine with Stand Tall but it really didn't capture the same badassery that Ash-Greninja's Theme did for the Spewpa rescue scene, although I feel that's because it changed midway through which was a little odd to me. What was stopping it from playing through? The scene was longer than 30 seconds?

Everything else completely fine, VAs good, etc. I did note the change in Serena's line when she was throwing the snowballs. I can't say I see much wrong with keeping it...

Pikachu52

Aside from the Phantump filler this is now the 5th episode in a row to deal be all about Ash and Greninja. No other characters in this series so far has been given the development these two have had. Thus far Greninja's development has entailed two fights with Alain that were nearly exactly a like, nearly beating the champion, a bad loss to an overpowered novice (an inconsistency explained only by Ash not being on his game) and now a depression arch. Pokémon XYZ has pretty much become Pokémon Ultimate Greninja. Even the simple act of rescuing the falling Spewpa required the "Ashgreininja" for no reason other than to show us they had mastered it.

That being said, it's actually a good episode. It does let you feel the character's emotions rather well; Ash's self-doubt and depression, Serena's somewhat entitled sense of frustration and Pikachu's worry. It's nice to see that after being somewhat neglected for the past few episodes Pikachu took on a more central role in this episode and we got to see his strong bond with Ash again - not being able to zap Team Rocket due to not having Ash was a nice touch. And Ash picking up Pikachu, hugging him and apologising to him for worrying him was heartwarming.

Some unnecessary points. The flashback to Ash getting caught out in the rain was a little bit random given it's never been mentioned before. Greninja running off by itself to sit in a tree had no purpose but to remind us how much of a badass he is. The "Greninja lend me your strength" scene is odd given Ash hasn't said that to any of his other Pokémon and his partnership with them is as important as it is with Greninja. Serena throwing the snowballs at Ash seemed more an amourshipping throw than anything else and saying "I want Ash back" comes across as her demanding Ash act a certain way for her benefit rather than being emotionally supportive of her friend.

8/10

Last edited:

Greneuliest808

Future Graduate

I feel that the music in some scenes were way out of place. It really puzzles me. I feel like TPCi are just throwing in the music and they're like: Okay, that's good, let's move on to the next one. I feel like they are using the music at the wrong times and scenes. Japan did it much better.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
What do you know, Team Rocket was lurking in the shadows after all. I thought the scene in the beginning with Ash and Serena was pretty touching. It almost makes me wonder about what could happen after the league is over.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I did enjoy the moment between Ash and Serena in the forest. Its nice to see a confrontation with a lot of honest and heart. Definitely don't see that too often among the main cast; I especially enjoyed it during Clemont and Bonnie's episode when they were looking for Squishy.

I love Greninja, and the ending of the episode especially, and I can say he's become one of my favorites among Ash's pool of Pokemon from across the regions. Is he focused a lot? Yes, and we can see that after the many episodes that came before. But I can't say I'm surprised.

Alloutℯ

Banned
It was nice seeing those Pokemon huddled around Ash and seeing flashbacks to Ash's childhood which are rarely shown. But I'm a little disappointed how Ash was quickly cheerful again and I also can't believe that the Ash-Greninja issue was suddenly done and over with.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
So why are people saying the dub messed up this episode by having NO silence? The dub did keep silence at the most important part: right after Ash yells at Serena. In fact, it did more to emphasize how silent it was then by not having silence at any other time

Pikachu should pretty much know everything about Ash - including the underpants he was using the day he met Serena -

What are you talking about? Ash met Serena way before he met Pikachu, so why should Pikachu know anything about Ash the day he met Serena?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Nice to see that this time, Ash has shown that he was able to better use the bond phenomenon through a change in his character after becoming upset over two consecutive losses as a result of his overconfidence in Greninja's new abilities. Greninja rolling back its Poké Ball back at Ash was also nice too. Somehow, it felt quite weird to have Team Rocket at the very end with barely anything to capture Pikachu and the Spewpa evolving into Meadow Pattern Vivillon rather than the Icy Snow Pattern.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Satoshi rarely faces disappointment, so watching him mope around in the woods was fascinating. I was glad when we saw Serena's attempt to cheer him up, and the blizzard scenes added an element of danger and beauty to the stark setting.

Nice episode. Ash and Serena had not had a serious conflict this season, so it was interesting to see Serena criticize Ash for failing to be the confident leader and trainer that she's seen all season. Ash's loss was devastating considering he was battling for his eighth Kalos badge and was expected to be a very strong contender at this point in the series.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I loved how for once Serena's illusion of Satoshi as an infallible trainer was shattered since thus far she'd never seen him suffer so much humiliation. It was a compelling subplot, and a neat wake-up call for her.