• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Seeking Shelter from the Storm! (817)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Spooky Shelter! Espurr Watches You!!

While heading towards Cyllage City, Ash & Co. get stuck in a storm and have to find shelter. Coming upon a large mansion, they find that nobody is in it, but some strange things start to happen in it such as things moving, lights turning on and off and doors slamming. Despite these strange happenings, Ash & Co., along with Team Rocket, decide to head further into the mansion, but a mysterious shadow starts to follow them...

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
The episode starts off with a thunder storm and then it shows an old mansion.

Ash and co. are at the mansion and Bonnie goes in because the group needs shelter.

An Espurr is watching Ash and co. enter from the top of the stairs inside the mansion.

Cool, the title card had the mansion as the background.

Clemont is acting like he's not scared, but Ash and Serena don't buy it.

Serena imagines that the mansion is a monster that will eventually eat them.

Team Rocket are running through the storm and eventually stop, before running again until they stop at the same mansion.

Team Rocket and Ash and co. keep getting scared from the mansion, especially Clemont.

Lol, Ash's face in the background there.

James is so scared, he's starting to cry.

Ash and co. come across a glowing Espurr, who then leaves down a different hallway, which they follow until they come to a dead end.

Dare Da? Espurr.

Bonnie and Dedenne find Espurr in a room with a ball that it is using psychic on.

Bonnie plays with Espurr by throwing the ball back and forth.

Espurr uses the same psychic move to lift Bonnie and Dedenne up.

Espurr leads Bonnie to a child's play room, including a rocking Ponyta.

The rest of Ash's group then run into Team Rocket.

I think Ash and co. suspect that they took Bonnie, or they're asking them where she is, but they're not aware.

Bonnie is still playing with Espurr.

Ash, Clemont and Serena then run into Bonnie and Espurr, before Team Rocket follows them.

A flashback occurs, with Meowth narrating of Espurr spending time with it's owner, an old lady who was in the painting that was shown earlier.

Something happened and the lady left the mansion, causing Espurr to be lonely and sad.

Team Rocket then plans on catching the Espurr, so they bring out their Pokemon and Pumkaboo ties up Espurr and when an attack from Pumpkaboo or Inkay is launched, Espurr is launched, Espurr uses Protect.

Team Rocket got sent flying from the mansion due to Espurr using Psychic on them.

Then, after the storm clears, a young lady walks into the mansion and it appears she is related to the old lady who use to live there. I think the grandmother of the young lady is now dead.

The young lady drives of with the Espurr in her car and Espurr is happy to be with someone permanently again.

To be continued.

Last edited:

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
What happened to the old woman? I didn't quite understand it despite the scene where she was leaving her mansion.

What happened to the old woman? I didn't quite understand it despite the scene where she was leaving her mansion.

She might have passed away, you never know

DaDonYordel

The Gazing Eye
I-I didn't expect to tear up with that flashback. With that girl who appeared in then, though brief was her appearance, she was kind of endearing in a way, especially when she became sad when talking about that old woman. I'm kind of glad she and Espurr got the last scene together.

Kinda disappointed that there was no "there were ghosts along" trope, but eh.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
She's "no longer with us", or whatever it was Ellie said.

So yeah, she died.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I really wish I could tell why Serena kept covering her mouth in this episode

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
Four images of the episodes that stand out.
[img139]http://filb.de/content/anime/xy/014/044.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://filb.de/content/anime/xy/014/303.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://filb.de/content/anime/xy/014/490.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://filb.de/content/anime/xy/014/542.jpg[/img139]

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

She was clutching to the staircase, barely able to stand on her own legs when she left the mansion apparently.. Put two together and it is clear that she needed a hip-replacement, but got a flunking intern taking the notes during the intake and died of an adverse reaction to the anesthetics...

I-I didn't expect to tear up with that flashback. With that girl who appeared in then, though brief was her appearance, she was kind of endearing in a way, especially when she became sad when talking about that old woman. I'm kind of glad she and Espurr got the last scene together.

Kinda disappointed that there was no "there were ghosts along" trope, but eh.

It's kinda hard when the sound is bleeping every two seconds..

I kinda found the heir thing to be lame, your grandmother owned this huge mansion, but you let it be abandoned when she was hospitalized and never went to pick up her endearing pokemon? Or perhaps she only passed away recently and this (grand)daughter only received her will recently.. I doubt Espurr was alone for very long, unlike a certain Ninetales.. That would make more sense though.. Espurr's reactions in the limo really showed that it is still very young, otherwise it would be very much more sad that it's owner had died, but it apparently couldn't make that connection and was just happy not to be alone anymore and to be with this person instead.. The BONDS people!

Not because I was hoping for a capture though, the VA-list for the Chespin episode (in which the entire group is out of their balls) tells us that there wasn't going to be one.. I wasn't up to date with the summaries for this episode, so I didn't know for sure until I read the VA-list for the next.. :)

I'd give this episode a 6.5 out of 10. It stood out and I like that Espurr broke out of the Leech Seed, which has gotten such a major upgrade this series! That move is why I look out for Pumpkaboo each episode from now onwards! :D

Bad breath?

Last edited:

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Espurr was really adorable and everything, but seeing it smilr like that is weird. It does make me wish serena could have caught it though.

Soniman

Break the Limit
This episode was actually fairly enjoyable and better then the last 3 to me. I enjoy how it was mainly Bonnie's show here, with Ash not hogging the spotlight at the end for no reason, he just got scared with the rest of them and that was just fine. I especially love how with each noise Clemont tries to explain it away (or I assume that's what he's saying) and he just keeps breaking down more and more, it's hilarious. Im also surprised to see some death implications in Pokemon, that's rare, kinda sad for Espurr though.

Team Rocket served no purpose other then for Meowth to translate Espurr's story and when that was done they were blasted away like always. Can't really expect much from else from them anymore..

Overall, pretty fine episode.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
nyasper is really cute :O it purple eye made me die in cuteness
overal this episode is really enjoyable :D

p96822

Evolve me please
Oh my gosh this is creepy and cute at the same time :O.

I thought from what I saw of the episode, it creepy, but not as dark as BW creepy episode.

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
This episode's plot sadden me... Such an awful coincidence if I may say so but I liked it mainly for that. The last scene was so beautiful.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I guess the show will never try to portray the Espurr line correctly judging how they freely smile at any point they want so as to not scare children from the REAL deal. Ugh, anime inconsistencies...

By the way, the mansion looks incredibly detailed with all that shading.

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

She's "no longer with us", or whatever it was Ellie said.

So yeah, she died.

Are they really taking a new direction with how some of these episodes are written? I mean yeah, death has been in the anime for a while, but sweet Arceus they showed the old woman practically coughing to her death.

Supersonicbro

I think it was because she said something scary and she felt bad for making them scared by accident.

Im watching the episode now and I really like the chemistry they're having for the team, and it's also showing some new character aspects. Like serena, while trying to explain all the weird things that go on, she makes it out to sound really scary by accident and shows remorse for it by covering her mouth but she has no self control and does it multiple times out of her need to explain what's going on.

And then we have clemont being the typical "there's a non-scary explanation for this" but unlike cilan who had a bit of confidence with his explanations, clemont shows how scared he is very obviously.

more edits: Sorry don't want to double post

I LOVE THE ANIME REMIXES OF THE MUSIC! I forgot what the song was that they used, but it's the one where they first find espurr. The violin used is a really nice touch.

Last edited:

Sephora

yes I'm back
This filler was very entertaining. Some highlights:
- The BGM throughout the episode really fit with the mood (ex. when they first encountered Espurr, the flashback, etc.)
- The title card for the episode was very well done; it gave it an eerie feeling which I like
- Espurr, Espurr, and ESPURR! That thing is adorable I can't even
- Bonnie was cute. Man, I love her Jap VA
- The story of Espurr and the old woman awh :(
- How Serena would say things that frighten everyone and then clasp her mouth
- Scaredy-cat Clemont whose own little sister is braver than him lol
- Did I mention Espurr? Dammit Serena, you should have caught it
- I love how the mansion was drawn
- Espurr and the flower <3
- Dat red car in the end

Overall, I would give this episode an 8.5/10 because I love Espurr too much.

Last edited:

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3
I wish someone would taken in that Espurr... That poor pokemon is so lonely with its owner dead.

So of course Team Rocket tries to catch it (technically it belongs to no one now...) and I like how Serena can come up with all these ideas that end up scaring the boys. It's so weird seeing an emotional Espurr when it appears nearly indifferent in the games. Who was that woman who showed up in the end? A relative of the old woman?