• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Seeking Shelter from the Storm! (817)

thunder2910

Loves pizza
I felt sorry for espurr in this episode :(

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I think that this is one of the few times that I actually WANTED to hear Meowth translate for a pokemon. A so so episode but the pokemon that got introduced reminds me of Final fantasy, so I guess that counts for something..

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
My god this episode tugged at the heart stringas making a flood of feels come on out. This is the first time I think death has been touched on so much.

Espurr looked creepy in the fan art and the games but the anime made him so cute. The ending was weird however. I thought Espurr was going to vanish after finding peace or the women was going to somehow turn into the old lady.

As of the talk about ratings above I don't think ratings matter in 2014 or least not like how they did years ago with things like DVR and On Demand or even youtube.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Second time that a vampire was said in the dub and it was great

Shocked we have had no vampire Pokemon. INB4 Noivern gets a vampire evo in Gen 7 XD

thetamale

I wasn't expecting it to be such a sad episode. It's been a long time since the anime had this level of emotional storytelling, hopefully a good sign of things to come. And this isn't restricted to sadness but also when it comes to comedy, action, etc. A level of maturity I feel was last seen when DP ended.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The Espurr's voice irked me because it sounded like a bird to me. I'm glad Clemont actually has a brain to piece logic together, unlike how Iris was a nightmare fetishist and Cilan laughed at the idea of ghosts existing despite the obvious fact ghosts are actually a thing in this world.

Wait, what? Passed away? As in not even implying that she just went away somewhere? Oh, cheers! Maybe they'll start using the word "die" during the most critical moments... I won't hold up my breath for that. Still, this episode made me get the feels in the end.

Also... Smiling Espurr. Mine never smiled once at me.

Lady Umbreon

I wasn't expecting it to be such a sad episode. It's been a long time since the anime had this level of emotional storytelling, hopefully a good sign of things to come. And this isn't restricted to sadness but also when it comes to comedy, action, etc. A level of maturity I feel was last seen when DP ended.

I'm glad the dubbers respected the audience enough to keep the sadness. If this episode had been dubbed 10 years ago they would have changed it to the old lady just being sick and the granddaughter taking Espurr to visit her in the hospital.

I'm glad Clemont actually has a brain to piece logic together, unlike how Iris was a nightmare fetishist and Cilan laughed at the idea of ghosts existing despite the obvious fact ghosts are actually a thing in this world.

I liked that too. I think this is the first haunted house episode where someone actually figures out that it's a Pokemon doing everything.

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I'm glad the dubbers respected the audience enough to keep the sadness. If this episode had been dubbed 10 years ago they would have changed it to the old lady just being sick and the granddaughter taking Espurr to visit her in the hospital.

People can bash the current dub all day long but they do seem to stay close to the japanese which seems to please some fans. :)

thetamale

I don't know about any of the backstage stuff with companies, I don't look at spoilers or the Japanese versions. I just judge based on being a consumer of a product.

I was expecting, because no major events are happening, a formulaic 'enter haunted house, ghostly goings on, look it's a Pokemon, laugh laugh laugh, roll credits' I feel had this been BW that probably would have been the case but this episode caught me off guard in that respect. I'm going to try and hold off on expectations for future episodes but I have a lot of hope for the saga.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
This episode was just as good as the original version. If it weren't for Espurr's dub voice, then I would've said this episode was even greater than the original one, but the cute "Nyapaaa~" was way better than the dub cry.
I'm glad it still was sad. Like Lady Umbreon said, it would have been a shame to replace the dramatic side of the episode.
It was good. They are making a great job dubbing the XY episodes. It still is my favorite XY episode, so far. :)

Fullgrizzly94

Jhoto Trainer
I just want to say that the English VA for the COTD was actually really good. However, I like the Japanese version of Espurr (although props for giving the purr to Espurr's voice; great attention to detail).

thetamale

Something interesting to note even though it was very minor, the rocking horse was a Ponyta which isn't in the Kalso regional dexes. This could suggest XY will take advantage of the full national dex instead of just the regional dexes.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This was a pretty good episode. It made me kinda like Espurr a bit more since I had always found it creepy.

Vernikova

Champion
Yeah, I missed the first ten minutes but the rest was good. I liked that they kept some of the sadder pieces in and I thought they sounded fine along with some of the TPCi bits that were added. A solid episode overall.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
At first i was like "Oh it's the ever popular take-shelter-from-the-storm-in-an-abandoned-haunted-house-see-a-pokemon-with-a-room-full-of-toys-episode"

But once again the saga surprised me towards the end there. I wasn't expecting it to tug at the heartstrings the way it did. The part during the flashback where The Lady was gasping for breath, wow! And actually dubbed that she had passed away.

This saga continues to amaze me little by little. Definitely taking a new direction in the anime. I forgot, There's supposed to be a new team handling the series right or did i read wrong somewhere?

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
At first i was like "Oh it's the ever popular take-shelter-from-the-storm-in-an-abandoned-haunted-house-see-a-pokemon-with-a-room-full-of-toys-episode"

But once again the saga surprised me towards the end there. I wasn't expecting it to tug at the heartstrings the way it did. The part during the flashback where The Lady was gasping for breath, wow! And actually dubbed that she had passed away.

This saga continues to amaze me little by little. Definitely taking a new direction in the anime. I forgot, There's supposed to be a new team handling the series right or did i read wrong somewhere?

I just thought it was new director but maybe after BW they wanted a new team. Really if we got a new team every saga that would be cool. Fresh ideas or at least fresh takes on some old ideas. :) I'm wating till the day they get fans from the old days working on the show since in a few years that is going to be possible since the kids who watched the old stuff are close to the age they could work for it now.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Best spooky episode so far. It was kinda funny how Ash and friends and TR ended up doing things that were freaking out the others. I liked James' behavior best out of them though.
And it was nice to see Espurr too.

Vipsoccermaster

Great episode. But it was indeed sad throughout the time. Really sad that Lacy passed away (her coughing in the flashback foreshadowed her death).